Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFB vs NFL Rules
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,724

CFB vs NFL Rules

Dec 24, 2015, 10:32 AM

I'm curious to get TNET's opinions on some of the rule variations between CFB and NFL. I'm only highlighting a couple, so feel free to add to the list along with your preferences and why.

1. Personal Foul - CFB - 2 and your out of the game, NFL - no limit.
I like the college rule, would have put Beckham on the bench against Carolina.
Kind of like basketball with 5/6 personals and soccer's yellow/red card.
If a player is out of control, they need to sit.
2. Clock stopping after first downs: CFB - stops clock, NFL does not
I prefer CFB's method. Adds excitement to end of half/game scenarios giving the losing
team a better chance to catch up. I know it prolongs games, but worth it to me.
3. 2 Minute warning: CFB - does not have, NFL does.
I guess you should have one or the other, clock stops after first down or 2-minute warning.
3. Kneed down - no contact: College - play is dead, NFL - play continues, must be forced down.
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I prefer the knee down rule for college sports to
help prevent injuries to college athletes, maybe the NFL is better with their rule.
Other differences to discuss:
- overtime
- 1 foot down for receptions
- 2 point conversion
- hash marks

Remember, you can't state your opinion without a supporting argument :) I figure most who are at work have a pretty slow day today.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's strange that CFB FG attempt is harder than NFL

Dec 24, 2015, 10:41 AM

because of the hashmark width. Seem the opposite should be true.

There's a huge controversy in the NFL that FGs are "too easy" - the modern-day accuracy is off the charts. They moved XPs back to make it tougher; maybe they need to do something with the hashmarks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's strange that CFB FG attempt is harder than NFL

Dec 24, 2015, 10:45 AM

Good point, hadn't given that much thought. The NFL made the change for the extra point to spice things up, that would be another obvious change the NFL could do to help add more excitement/challenge into their game.

the wider hash is probably the most significant

Dec 24, 2015, 12:10 PM

difference. There is a true wide side of the field - I think making CFB a better game.

Re: CFB vs NFL Rules

Dec 24, 2015, 12:22 PM

I'd like to see college football adopt the spot foul on pass interference. I hate seeing a guy blatantly grabbed/tackled 30-40 yards downfield and only getting a 15-yard penalty.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2015, 1:18 PM

Good call, I missed that one and it's one of my bigger annoyances. There really is no justification for giving a 40+ yard penalty on any play. Make it fifteen yards and move on to the next play.

Dec 24, 2015, 1:26 PM

There is justification for it though, if there is a 40 yard pass and a player is tackled or held then his chance of making a catch was taken away by the defense in a matter against the rules. I'm perfectly fine with the way the NFL does PI.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not my business, but I think you two are actually

Dec 24, 2015, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB vs NFL Rules ]

disagreeing on this rule. I believe the above poster is saying he agrees with the NFL on the PI spot foul and an automatic 1st, while you're saying you think it should only be 15 yards and a 1st. Personally I wouldn't want to put anymore objective calls in the ref's hands, but if a PI truly hinders a catch from happening, it should be a spot foul. Given that the ball is catchable; if the PI is not as blatantly obvious, it should be called D holding with a 10 yard foul and automatic 1st.
That obviously puts more of the game in a ref's hands which I don't like. Since we're talking hypotheticals, why not assume they'll get the call correct in the first place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not my business, but I think you two are actually

Dec 24, 2015, 4:09 PM

What about the helmet to helmet hit. I would like for the NFL to do the same as college. Automatic ejection and in their case, a hefty fine, along with sitting out the next game in addition to the rest of that game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

downing kicked ball near goal line

Dec 24, 2015, 1:23 PM

i like the college version of ball cant break the plane vs nfl seemingly random whether player touches ball while body part breaks the plane.. or whatever the nfl rule is... keep it simple. avoid replays

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really like the college overtime rules better

Dec 24, 2015, 1:48 PM

In the NFL, if you get the ball first and score a touchdown, the game is over. The other team doesn't even get a chance to score.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2015, 3:13 PM

The only NFL rule I like better is the PI spot foul.

The rest I like CFB:
-Down vs Down + contact: If you fall, you should be down IMO.
-stopped clock vs 2 min and running clock: better come backs.
-OT: no comparison
-Hash-marks: no opinion

The worst rule in CFB is the targeting... There are too many inconsistencies with the regulation of the rule. I would rather see a 30 yd penalty than a player get ejected on the judgement of the zebras.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2015, 9:31 PM

Personal opinions:
I prefer one foot in bounds as a catch over two. I prefer knee down as opposed to down by contact. If you can't keep your balance the play is over. I would like a spot foul up to a 25 yard max penalty. Anything over that is pretty excessive.

I would also like to have a fan flag that I can throw personally when I see my Tiger DLmen getting held like a mother effer and the refs aren't calling it.

Also, whatever ridiculous rule it was that caused Nuk a TD the other year when his foot grazed the top of the pylon needs to go! The pylon is an extension of the field lines, his foot hitting the top of the pylon was the same as his foot going out of bounds... But if the ball hits the pylon it's a TD??? NEEDS TO GO, and retroactively give Nuk another career TD. LOL.

the knee down rule

Dec 24, 2015, 8:03 PM

I've seen too many where the QB knee is accidentally down or the punters knee is down and the play is over. Any time someone accidentally goes down I'd rather the play continue until tackled or tagged down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,724
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic