Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFB Rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

CFB Rankings

Jan 3, 2021, 2:57 PM

I have seen so much said about Dabo ranking OSU 11 and wonder if perhaps he would do it differently if he had it to do again. His point was these teams that played so many fewer games are not fairly comparable. If he believed they were truly not apples to apples, I think he would have been better not submitting rankings at all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFB Rankings

Jan 3, 2021, 3:02 PM

After the sugar bowl the Big10 Network had a postgame segment with Urban Meyer. He said that Dabos rankings 100% played a role in the OSU locker room when it came to motivation. He said Day told him they had their best 3 days of practice all season last week beginning the day after those rankings came out.

Jan 3, 2021, 3:12 PM

Speaks to their program that they weren’t already practicing great heading into a playoff. They sure hit the Tigers in the mouth with their 3 good days.

Jan 3, 2021, 3:27 PM

I actually read this morning that OSU has had almost half the amount of practices this season compared to Bama and Clemson due to the shorter season and covid cancellations. Still just demolished them. Final score of OSU vs Rutgers this season was also 49-28

Jan 3, 2021, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

I think it is still a fair point - should they even be eligible for a title playing half the games? I think not - I have issue with Bama’s title when they didn’t make the SECCG, but clearly the NCAA wants no part of deciding legitimacy. They only want the money to keep flowing.

Jan 3, 2021, 3:39 PM

lol even if OSU smokes Bama like they did Clemson people will probably still be trying to act like they should have been left out

Jan 3, 2021, 4:02 PM

Starting a marathon at the 13 mile mark and then acting like it’s no advantage is LOLable.

You idiots were even calling Day a genius for “hiding” the double TE sets “all season” just so it could surprise Clemson. All season? Seriously? All six games?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 3, 2021, 4:09 PM

lol do you think Day was going to fully open up the offense against Illinois and Maryland?

Jan 4, 2021, 12:34 PM

LOL. You’ve accidentally stumbled into exactly the point.
You idiots have an asterisk win and blather that it’s somehow “genius.”

LOL. Can’t make this ish up. You people are ridiculous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 3, 2021, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

Left out? Not what I am saying. I just think the NCAA should defend the playing field being level. They may very well be the best team, but Bama with 12 games vs OSU with 7 is just wrong. I think the B1G changing their rules multiple times to protect their cash cow is wrong. SI called it: https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/29/global-pandemic-exposed-ncaa-inc

Jan 3, 2021, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

Left out? Not what I am saying. I just think the NCAA should defend the playing field being level. They may very well be the best team, but Bama with 12 games vs OSU with 7 is just wrong. I think the B1G changing their rules multiple times to protect their cash cow is wrong. SI called it: https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/29/global-pandemic-exposed-ncaa-inc

OSU had 5-6 weeks where they

Jan 3, 2021, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

didn’t have to prepare for games so their only worry was preparing for Clemson & Bama if it was ever to happen. They had all that time & 6 extra game films to study our tendencies & weaknesses. With all that extra time & information why wouldn’t they be ready for us - look for them to give Bama a better than expected battle for the same reason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and dont forget the fresher legs as well

Jan 3, 2021, 9:44 PM

there is a reason why football season doesnt start back till fall once it ends..compared to baseball who plays 100s of games along with basketball ..football those extra 6 games were 6 extra beatings our guys took compared to them this season

Dabo should have just not ranked any B1G or PAC-12 teams

Jan 3, 2021, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

When you’ve played that many fewer games it’s really not comparable.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

Dabo made his point by ranking OSU 11th.

OSU made their point by shellacking our azzes and going to the Natty.

Which point would you rather have made ?

Jan 3, 2021, 3:30 PM

Funny how coaches warn players to keep their mouth shut about disrespecting an opponent and creating bulletin board material but our coach can't keep his trap shut.

Re: CFB Rankings- our?

Jan 3, 2021, 3:53 PM

with pulse? yeeah right

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

Our coach?
If my memory is correct Dabo said nothing about ranking tOSU 11 until the media picked it up and asked him about it. Then he answered the question honestly. And I guess they didn’t like his answer even though a number of other coaches seemed to feel the same way. Personally I don’t think that was why we lost sometimes the other team is just better. Elliot being out could only help them as well.

Jan 3, 2021, 4:23 PM

I don't think the #11 comment was the complete reason. I do think it was a contributor as well as not being prepared on either side of the ball. Sometimes it is just better to keep your mouth shut and spend that time and effort getting your team ready.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 4:23 PM

There was nothing positive resulting in Dabo's ranking of Ohio State in the coach's poll even though he was absolutely correct in his assessment of the Big 10 and their manipulation of the rules to get Ohio State into the CFP. He should have left that up to the critics.
Dabo put undo pressure on his coaches and players by openly make it "appear" that Ohio State was not a deserving opponent. Why??? OSU had their best week of practice after they saw the rankings. Dabo has used the same bulletin board material about "little old Clemson not getting respect" in the past and it worked to perfection. Is was obvious to all Clemson fans watching that he should have been spending more time on game preparation rather than ranking OSU. We are way better than what we saw January 1.

Jan 3, 2021, 4:34 PM

Well, it's all over and done with now. I'm sure if any lessons are to be learned here, the coaches and players will figure it out. I'm just looking forward to next year with all this young talent with a year under their belt. We will be BACK!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: CFB Rankings ]

I agree that nothing positive came with his ranking. I guess it boils down to what he was really saying. To me, the better way to handle this was one of these 3 options (in my order of preference):
1. Ranking all of the B1G/PAC10 teams disproportionately high to emphasize the advantage of multiple additional weeks off (e.g. 1. OSU, 2 . USC 3. Oregon 4. Indiana 5. Northwestern 6. Alabama, etc).
2. Not submitting any rankings.
3. Not including any B1G/PAC10 teams in his rankings.

To me, putting them in with some arbitrary ceiling is the most inflammatory of all choices.

Jan 3, 2021, 4:49 PM

IT'S A MOOT POINT!

I got no problem with it either way... Dabo's a grown azzz man

Jan 3, 2021, 4:55 PM

and can rank teams anyway he wants, and I don't blame OSU for using it for motivation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Dabo is a man of principle.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:47 PM

He stands by his decision to not rank them in the top 10. He acknowledged that they were a very good team capable of beating us or Bama. But his principles would not allow him to rank a team that only played 6 games in the top 10.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic