Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bucknuts think they can run on Clemson D
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Bucknuts think they can run on Clemson D

Dec 29, 2020, 11:21 AM

If that's their game plan, they've been watching the the wrong game tape.

They're gonna get stuffed. Lots of 3 and outs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bucknuts think they can run on Clemson D

Dec 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

Well, after JF airmails a few passses to our secondary, they will rather run for 2 yards than another INT.

You got to give it to the 31-0-ers they prepare for the inevitable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They also think they "earned" their place in the CFP***

Dec 29, 2020, 11:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They "earned" their place in the CFP just like Bill Gates

Dec 29, 2020, 12:30 PM

kids earned millionaire status. By no fault of their own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:32 AM

If that's their game plan, they've been watching the the wrong game tape.

They're gonna get stuffed. Lots of 3 and outs.

Bucknuts game plan will be much like VT was in the 1st half. They will follow that same philosophy - to their detriment. That is not their style of play.
We all know they likely have a "Clemson package" they haven't shown this season - short as it was! But, when it comes down to it - sometimes that backfires on you! Executing it and practicing it are sometimes very different animals!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't get it twisted. VT doesn't have a Justin Fields at QB

Dec 29, 2020, 11:39 AM

ITs gonna be a challenge for us in stopping both disciplines. Should be another high scoring affair. Just need to win the turnover margin. Need some big plays in our secondary.

I wouldn't call 29-23 "high scoring"....

Dec 29, 2020, 11:45 AM

at least not these days (if you're referring to last year's Clemson-OSU game).

But yes, some turnovers would hit the spot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

OSU left about 3 TDs off the board as well

Dec 29, 2020, 5:25 PM

2 by Dobbins and 1 by Olave. If we're banking on that again we got another thang coming. It'll be a highly contested and fought game again. I got faith but we got too many homers on this board fighting junk talking rejects from Eleven Warriors. They're a good, we're a good team. We're better but they def have a chance.

Please go watch Northwestern game and you will feel

Dec 29, 2020, 9:43 PM

better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: don't get it twisted. VT doesn't have a Justin Fields at QB

Dec 29, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to don't get it twisted. VT doesn't have a Justin Fields at QB ]

El Tigre 1 said:

ITs gonna be a challenge for us in stopping both disciplines. Should be another high scoring affair. Just need to win the turnover margin. Need some big plays in our secondary.

I am not getting it twisted. I don't believe that OSU has a RB like Khalil Herbert either! And, no doubt Clemson will have to play well to slow OSU down. I'm just not sold on Sermon and Teague(I believe the other RB name is). They can be stopped. Fields has a tendency of staring down his receiver from time to time. Fields also hasn't faced as many "live" defenses this season to get him more acquainted with different looks! He could have seen them a year ago - but that was with different personnel making the adjustments with him(players wise).

Look at the below remembering Sermon got 331 of his yards in one game! A poor tackling NW who was dropping 8 in pass coverage because they didn't respect the Buckeye run game caused that! We do not have to play them that way keep in mind!
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4035886/khalil-herbert

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241401/trey-sermon

I’m getting antsy to see Sermon . . .

Dec 29, 2020, 2:46 PM

deal with Skalski, untouched, on a full out blitz . . . That’s gonna be another hurting buckeroo!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 AM

I watch their NW gam. And the NW tackling was awful. Ours wont be

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Northwestern's D reminded me a lot of the uof6c defense...

Dec 29, 2020, 11:42 AM

They were slow, they took bad angles to the ball, and they tackled poorly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Northwestern's D reminded me a lot of the uof6c defense...

Dec 29, 2020, 11:46 AM

but other than that they were pretty good

Dec 29, 2020, 11:43 AM

A true championship team can play to their strength to win. They’ve had one good rushing game all year and think they’re a running team. We’re not northwestern our DL is full of monsters with depth. I really hope their goal is to try to run all night. They look like a team that’s still trying to find their identity and they have 4 days to figure it out

Dec 29, 2020, 12:01 PM

SethSlyy said:

A true championship team can play to their strength to win. They’ve had one good rushing game all year and think they’re a running team. We’re not northwestern our DL is full of monsters with depth. I really hope their goal is to try to run all night. They look like a team that’s still trying to find their identity and they have 4 days to figure it out

Seth - you hit on it right there. Who on their schedule can roll in DL back to back to back and not have much if any drop off? It wasn't Rutgers, Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana or NW! Penn State probably could - but I doubt it because at one point they were 0-5 this season meaning "everybody beat them"! No special effort to beat them in other words. Regular old talent beat them in other words. Let alone a loaded roster like OSU has.

They have not faced a team that can go player for player with them w/o having to make a sub and that one series of downs is where the game turns! The teams on their schedule don't have the competitive depth to have challenged them much. You could say the same about us except we have faced Notre Dame and Miami who both recruit well. Like top 10 or 12 well every year!

The ability to lean on those OL with fresh DL will play a part I think! They can have physical practices right! But, at some point the defense/offense knows what their teammates are running and play much faster! It looks great and people get applauded and such. An opposing team is a whole lot more unpredictable and simulating that speed isn't easy to do if at all.

Competitive depth in short is why I think they will have a hard time trying to run the ball. Of course, this is all theory and brainstorming based on what has already happened. You play the games for a reason, right? We'll see.

Dec 29, 2020, 11:55 AM

Seems a lot of OSU fans are pinning their hopes on the way they ran the ball in the Northwestern game. Yeah, they ran for a lot of yards but still only scored 22 points. 22 points will not beat Clemson.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:17 PM

Seems a lot of OSU fans are pinning their hopes on the way they ran the ball in the Northwestern game. Yeah, they ran for a lot of yards but still only scored 22 points. 22 points will not beat Clemson.

Great point +1

If you are superior in talent - check!
You are fresher - check!
You rush for a gazillian yards - check!
You have a Heisman type at QB - check!

Yet, you only win the game by a close margin! Players missing boo hoo - you have lapped Northwestern in recruiting that should not be an issue - so I don't want to hear that argument. It's false and faulty unless you are saying you wiffed on all those highly touted recruits who should have just rolled in an beat the NW 2 star and 3 star players! Stop it!

Dec 29, 2020, 12:10 PM

They might be able to. Just because Fields also runs so well. They have a really good OL too. I think they think they can run on us because they ran all over us last year.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:35 PM

Carlsbad® said:

They might be able to. Just because Fields also runs so well. They have a really good OL too. I think they think they can run on us because they ran all over us last year.

I just don't think those guys are like Dobbins! Going into the game last year everyone was talking Fields; I was talking Dobbins. To me his ability in close quarters to break arm tackles and be a physical runner scared me. I do not look at their backs this season the same way. One game doesn't do it for me.

But, hey, you play the game for a reason.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:38 PM

Also, we have a stout 4 man front and some depth this year. Last year, we had to run that 3 man front. Our D is different this year.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:54 PM

Carlsbad® said:

Also, we have a stout 4 man front and some depth this year. Last year, we had to run that 3 man front. Our D is different this year.

Agreed. And, Carlsbad our only disruptive DL last year was a true Freshman(Davis). This season as you said, you add Bresee inside who is a force you have to reckon with. You have Murphy on the outside who at any point can disrupt a play. Henry has been playing better as of late. I look for a big game from him Friday.

Then you can roll Pinckney and Williams in as well. Ruke is coming on as well. We had no depth there last year! This season we can afford to take guys off the field if they get gassed. I think it will make a huge difference in the ballgame.

Dec 29, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Bucknuts think they can run on Clemson D ]

I don't believe OSU will try to run the ball as much as we hope. Pretty sure Ryan Day recognizes that our talent is superior to anything they have faced and adjust accordingly. Last year the 3 man front didn't do so well. I believe our 4 man front and depth make it a different story this year. Plus they don't have Dobbins as someone mentioned earlier. I'm more afraid of the short quick passes. That worked for Notre Dame for awhile.. and will probably work again unless we play tight coverage. I believe OSU will score because they have Fields and two very good receivers. But I think we will score a lot more....

Dec 29, 2020, 1:10 PM

Yeah, I would take the Northwestern game with a grain of salt. Sermon wasn't really tearing it up before that and he was actually sharing carries with Teague. The big question mark for OSU is not only have they played just 6 games but due to COVID they've really only played 4 with their original starters (5 starters out vs MSU & 4 out vs NW). OSU lacks some identity and I don't think they'll find it in time.

Dec 29, 2020, 2:57 PM

Yeah, I would take the Northwestern game with a grain of salt. Sermon wasn't really tearing it up before that and he was actually sharing carries with Teague. The big question mark for OSU is not only have they played just 6 games but due to COVID they've really only played 4 with their original starters (5 starters out vs MSU & 4 out vs NW). OSU lacks some identity and I don't think they'll find it in time.

Exactly! Practice is not going to simulate what Clemson can do! Besides having played myself when you go against your offense everyday you know the (defensive)plays. And, you aren't going to have such an advantage against a more veteran team. Are they healthy? Have they missed practice and game time? Yes to both - so as you said - some of them haven't even played 6 games! Can't be understated.

Dec 29, 2020, 12:12 PM

That's a great plan. Until they fall behind a couple of scores. I don't think they can stop our offense from what I've seen and heard. Get behind two tochdowns and BV will turn the wardogs lose and it will become a massacree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OSU must run the ball well to win. Simple as that

Dec 29, 2020, 2:39 PM

Fields isn't going to throw for 400 yards. Between him and Sermon, they must establish the run for their offense to succeed, especially with Fields throwing so many INTs.

Sermon didn't dominate the entire season. The Northwestern game was a non-repeatable fluke.

Watching them on offense is gonna be interesting.

Dec 29, 2020, 9:18 PM

I think that their strength is their o-line and their RBs, so it makes sense for them to try to run the ball - plus they can keep TL off of the field. But I do not think that they can just jam it down our throats all nightlong.

OTOH, I thought the same thing last year and they lit up the ground attack in the first half and almost knocked us out with it.

That said, our D-line is much better this year and BV will be prepared for the first half.

Sorry,”Bucknuts think” is like saying

Dec 29, 2020, 9:36 PM

“ Gamecocks think”. It just doesn’t happen

did they not run for 300 against Northwestern?

Dec 29, 2020, 9:38 PM

Not saying it's the best measurement but I would certainly try and run if I were OcryO st.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, my coot running buddy works with a bunch of the O31Oers

Dec 29, 2020, 10:32 PM

and he said they are saying the same thing. They said Notre Dame ran all over us....I admitted that they did...IN THE FIRST GAME. Not so much in the 2nd game.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic