Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell is the guy for the job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Brownell is the guy for the job

Jan 4, 2015, 12:04 PM

We are not going to find anyone to come in and coach without a home arena. If BB cannot recruit and get us to the NCAA after the arena is built, then he has to go. But for now we are lucky to have him. Our guys struggled last night against a team who played it's best game of the season. It happens. And it happens in basketball more often than football simply because they play more games.

We will be fine. We already have several quality wins. Let it play out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell is the guy for the job

Jan 4, 2015, 12:13 PM

some of us are less enthusiastic about mediocrity.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2015, 8:11 PM

Very well stated!

is that you Brad?

Jan 4, 2015, 12:15 PM

Seriously, the excuses are gone. He can't recruit and is only 1/2 way decent in game coach. We will stay in the bottom 4 or worse of ACC until we get a new coach. I don't care where we play.

Re: is that you Brad?

Jan 4, 2015, 12:19 PM

Where is this " he can't recruit" myth coming from? We have signed a higher ranked kid every year he has been here, with grantham being the latest. Our 2 best players are a frosh and soph.....I'd say that is increasing the talent level. He's not gonna sign MC Donalds AA every year. No one ever has at CU. Our shooters are not making shots, that's not on BB. Just like when Marcus Paige was a freshman and Stephane Anthony was a freshman and sophomore and played on terrible defenses, they will develop. The shots will fall.

Actually it is on BB...when you continue to recruit...

Jan 4, 2015, 4:48 PM

...players that have limited offensive skills to sacrifice for their defensive "prowess", then it is the coach's fault. Additionally, when your players are unable to advance their skills as shooters under a coach, then it is the coach's fault.

BB has had waayyyy too much time getting his players here. You only need 3-4 basketball players that can make a run for a team. Different story in football. In football, you must have depth at every position, lest you end your football coaching career.

I'd give BB a 3 out of 10 score. The 3 is for the fact that he seems to keep his players out of trouble.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: is that you Brad?

Jan 4, 2015, 12:26 PM [ in reply to is that you Brad? ]

You have absolutely nothing to back up that he's only a "halfway decent" in game coach.

His recruiting has improved substantially, but those more-talented kids are Blossomgame, Grantham, Devoe, and Djitte. Two sophomores, and two freshmen.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:20 PM

The arena is not the problem.
And our team struggles even against lesser opponents.
Put a Roy,a Mike,a Calapari in Littlejohn and they will win because they are a known commodity.
Brad is a good coach ,but would you rather play for him in the Dean Dome,or Roy in Littlejohn?
Look,I like Brad,but his infusion of talent is defensive laden.You won't win many defensive games,especially against the caliber of ACC opponents we will face this season.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:26 PM

ROY isn't in the same league as Brad when it comes to teaching the game. Roy has never had to win at a Clemson. He has Kansas and UNC, schools that will win on talent alone 80% of the time. I am a coach and have been to multiple clinics all over the country and will tell you and anyone else that Brad is in elite company as far as being able to teach the game. U learn nothing from Roy except, have good players and score more than the other team. Brad will win here. And win big here. He just needs a signature class and not just 1 stud per year. And he will get it.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:59 PM

signature class-get real

a "defensive laden" team that doesnt even play defense????***

Jan 4, 2015, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell is the guy for the job ]

####, we're not having as good of a year defensively as

Jan 4, 2015, 3:03 PM

usual. But that doesn't mean we haven't typically played good defense under Brownell.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:27 PM

Heard exact same talk about Bowden after 2004 season.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:28 PM

We have struggled for 5 years now.

What OP did:
2008-09 46.7 FG% / 37.9 3PT% / 68.4 FT we were #12 in the country in PPG
2007-08 45.8 / 37.7 / 62.4 #19 in 79.5 PPG
2009-10 45.3 / 33.6 / 65.9 #81 with 73.3 PPG

What Brownell is doing
2012-13 42.4 / 31.7 / 65.4 #300 61.5 PPG
2013-14 41.8 / 30.3 / 73.7 #324 63.3 PPG (at least we had that one good year at the line)
2014-15 42.5 / 28.0 / 66.5 #247 65.2 PPG

(for reference we were #216 at 66.4 PPG (43.2 / 28.3 / 66.8) on 12/21 so we have gotten worse over the last 2 weeks)

There is nothing out there to show he can win for us. We have gotten worse not only record wise, but efficiency wise which is the mark of a coach.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:29 PM

Why don't you show the defensive stats over that same time period and where they rank on ACC? Here's a hint, you won't have to go below 2nd in conference on the list....

Jan 4, 2015, 12:56 PM

ESPN doesn't have total defense. Feel free to inform me on that and then average margin.

My point was that his offensive coaching is horrendous and we have gotten worse (which the overall record shows that too). Even with a system change, the percentages should be similar.

We are worse so far this year, had improved prior to this

Jan 4, 2015, 1:28 PM

year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2015, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell is the guy for the job ]

They do have pts/gm which we have ranked 1st or 2nd in acc EVER year that BB has been here. The experienced teams who have developed have won and been successful. The teams who are immature on offense have struggled. Has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with figuring the he out. Kinda like Brent's defense 3 years ago. Same thing.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell is the guy for the job ]

Pretty ironic you leave out the defensive stats, but also leave out the 2010-11 team that Brownell took to the NCAA tournament. Purnell MAY have made the NIT with that team. Maybe.

Jan 4, 2015, 1:39 PM

Lol.

This has to be a joke.

Jan 4, 2015, 12:42 PM

REALLY???? Go Tigers!!!!

Jan 4, 2015, 12:47 PM

When your whole team can not make a 10 ft jump shot the players are not being coach up.

They can't complain about Dabo now, so they move on to Brad & Jack.***

Jan 4, 2015, 1:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to argue for change now, ain't going to happen

Jan 4, 2015, 1:31 PM

With Brad's big buyout, and playing in Greenville next year, he will be here at least through 2017, no matter what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They can't complain about Dabo now, so they move on to Brad & Jack.***

Jan 4, 2015, 1:32 PM [ in reply to They can't complain about Dabo now, so they move on to Brad & Jack.*** ]

Just win baby & all this negative talk will go away....Go Tigers!!!!

Jan 4, 2015, 2:42 PM

Amazing how many people havent figured out the OP is a pathetic #### loving troll.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 4, 2015, 2:44 PM

I think they are more on to you being an ignorant, self loathing, a$$ hole who offers nothing to any thread except mindless chatter........and a vajj

Jan 4, 2015, 2:59 PM

Dont get mad little #### lover.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 4, 2015, 4:03 PM

My point exactly

I agree, but it's tough to watch

Jan 4, 2015, 3:05 PM

especially if you're there in person. I've been able to make it to 2 games. The Winthrop game and the game against UNC, both did nothing to instill confidence in me with this program.

Re: I agree, but it's tough to watch

Jan 4, 2015, 4:03 PM

It is tough to watch at times as the players grow. we will be hell on wheels next year when we have a PG who can score and a more mature JB and DG along with a senior Landry.

Jan 4, 2015, 4:41 PM

Brownell is the guy, if you want the same mediocrity you currently see. And maybe CU isn't even mediocre. BB inherited a program that had gone to the NCAA three years in a row, and had played competitively with the elite of the league most of the time. And always at home. There was even enough talent for BB to make the NCAA his first year. But since the program has gotten worse. I doubt this team will even draw an NIT bid. Now is Clemson going to be able to attract a big time coach under any circumstances in basketball? No. But sometimes it is time for a new voice. DR is going to look pretty stupid to have a bright, shiny new areana and no fans in it because they don't care anymore. Notice the crowd last night? Not evendors close to a sell out for UNC, and the usual excitement for that game was non-existent. All walked in and sat quietly to watch the beat down they knew was coming. Apathy is what will kill a program and a coach. That is happening. DR can't overlook that for long.

We Played Better in my back yard when I was a kid

Jan 4, 2015, 4:46 PM

than last nights debacle, Nuttin but a dirt court and a torn net

NC was the better team, Our effort is my worry***

Jan 4, 2015, 4:58 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2015, 9:56 PM

In OP last 4 years he went 93-41 for a .694% and 3 straight NCAA appearances

In BB first 4 full years (including the 21-11 team OP handed him) he has gone 74-58 for a .560% and 1 NCAA appearance (again with the team OP handed him)

Just saying..........

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic