Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell: Transfer Students Reliance is not Building Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,397

Brownell: Transfer Students Reliance is not Building Program

Mar 7, 2020, 9:02 AM

We have had a few well rated players on our teams even though recruiting coaching has not been discussed as much and the new recruiting coach Pearson was put in last summer. One of the biggest weaknesses of Brownell's team is recruiting players that will be with us all four years. Brownell has continually relied on transfers, grad transfers that are 23-24 years old, some have had a kid while trying to be a college basketball player, etc. If things do not go well for these players-they usually fold and we have seen that now and there is a major failure to not build guys that will stay and develop over the long haul. I think two areas that Brownell has failed at is this over reliance on transfer players with little commitment to Clemson and his coaching style that does not suit today's player: slower paced offense, if you are not super on defense you get in his doghouse and most young players only care about running the ball and offense. Not many inner-city players or ones from AAU want Brownell's style of offense, demands on defense, and slow down and be told where to stand and run on every offensive play.

Over-reliance on Transfer Players:
Scott played for two prior colleges: Charlotte and Tulsa and will be 24 in July
Mack played for two prior colleges: Texas and Alabama and is 23
Baehre played two years for UNC Asheville
Moore played at Texas Tech
Grinde who we honored last night was Vasaar College
Honor played at Forham

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell: Transfer Students Reliance is not Building Program

Mar 7, 2020, 9:11 AM

I find this topic very interesting. Good points there jerseyMike.

Mar 7, 2020, 9:32 AM

You’re preaching to the choir with me. Been saying the same thing for the last 5 or 6 years. No one will listen. They’ll all tell that transfers are par for the course in college basketball. I’m over it. My give a d@$& busted over Clemson basketball years ago. It’s a moot point. He’s going absolutely nowhere anytime soon. He’ll always do just enough to not get fired. It is what it is.

Mar 7, 2020, 10:31 AM

I also have been saying that for some years now. Another thing that bothers me about this team is their 3 point shots. It seems there is not offense strategy whatsoever. Who ever has the ball after bringing it across the mid-court line just throws it up, and hopes it goes in the basket

I think that having so many transfers recently....

Mar 7, 2020, 10:57 AM

has led to a "cycle" effect. You get Marquise Reed (who by far is the best transfer we've had), Shelton Mitchell, and Eli Thomas....then Skara or whoever else.
They leave and then there are holes to fill, but not enough recruits, so more transfers.

I think heading into next year, it will be interesting, because we actually won't "need" transfers, particularly the "rent for one year grad transfers" to fill a roster like we did this past year.

When you look at the below...you have to wonder how the playing time will get divided up. There are guys that can play multiple positions obviously...but you typically don't play a 13 man rotation.

Next Year's Team

PG- Dawes (So.)
PG- Honor (Transfer that sat out this year)

SG- Trapp (Sr.)
SG- Hunter (So.)
SG- Hemenway (So.)

SF- Newman (Jr.)
SF- Moore (Jr.)
SF- Prosper (Fr.)

PF- Tyson (Sr.)
PF- PJ. Hall (Fr.)

C- Simms (Sr.) (could also be PF at times)
C- Jemison (Jr.)
C- Bahre....if he comes back?

Re: I think that having so many transfers recently....

Mar 7, 2020, 1:50 PM

Hunter Tyson will be a junior next season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Mar 7, 2020, 11:08 AM

If Brownell is back for next year, he is going to have to have a line drawn in the sand regarding the number of wins, NCAA (not NIT) Tournament, maybe one win in it, etc. If he doesn't reach those goals he is gone ..... regardless if every member on the team has a torn ACL. At some point he has to show some progress.

I like Brad a lot, and hope he turns things around, but at some point you just have to say enough. I think in retrospect, he will know that he did not do an acceptable job given the amount of time and resources he has had. I don't know why we can't compete for players with schools like Dayton, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, etc. Yes, I know those schools do not have football and are considered basketball schools. Not a good answer in my opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2020, 11:15 AM

That line should have been drawn 5 or 6 years ago.

I liked him too, but 10 years has been too long.

Mar 7, 2020, 11:12 AM

Most other schools use the transfer system.

I just heard an interview yesterday of Mark Few and how he's used transfers to keep Gonzaga as one of the consistent top program for many years.

Why can't Clemson basketball do it?

Because we're willing to accept it.

Mar 7, 2020, 2:31 PM

He does have a lot of apparent 4 year players in the program now and they are young. I think a lot of the transfers were trying to piece things together from some difficult recruiting years right before and while playing in Greenville. That is now starting to turn around and we should see the payoff from that next season with Dawes, Newman, Hunter, Hall, etc.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,397
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic