Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bridges on the AICW heading south that command respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Bridges on the AICW heading south that command respect

Mar 27, 2018, 10:20 AM

If you ever find yourself a newly ordained tugboat captain , and then also find yourself pushing a barge southbound on the AICW from Norfolk , VA ( Mile 0 ) to say .. Jacksonville , Florida ... write these bridges down and wait for opposing current or just plain slack tide ... go with slack if there is any doubt .

1. Gilmerton Bridge , Elizabeth River , southern branch : Your first test . Take my advice and creep , southbound this bridge is done on the ebb if possible . The fendering system of the RR Bridge it is adjoined to is not a forgiving space . Go slow , Jethro .

2. Morehead City, NC highway/RR Bridge : Not to be taken lightly , ever . It is nearly impossible to pass through this double draw with any significant following current . The scars and missing pieces of the fender system are visual testament to the many who have failed to heed the warning . Just don't .

3. Wappoo Cut Bridge , Charleston SC : An innocuous looking little draw bridge , but with that narrow draw and it being on a bend in the creek flushing the harbor on the flood or flushing the Stono on the ebb ... there is no room for error . Always call the bridge tender early , as you don't want to get in that tight chute and hear them tell you you'll have to wait on Folly Road traffic . Head tide only , Cap .

4. Lady's Island Br. , Beaufort SC : Looks innocent enough , right ? All inviting and sort of wide open ...beckoning . Not even a chance . Cross current is strong to the Lady's Is. side on the ebb southbound , so wait around up in Brickyard Creek until you know the tide is a flood . This bridge is a deceiving little wench .

5. Hilton Head High Rise ( entering Calibogue Sound from Skull Creek ) : Yet another creeper . It can be done either way on either tide , but if your on a fair current then just know that you're being set to the turn ... believe me personally on this one . Slow and steady , favor the inside of your bend in both directions but particularly southbound toward Savannah .

6 . Causton Bluff Br. , Savannah , GA : This draw is on a steep bend just across the Savannah River and it is shallow as heck on a low tide . Be careful to stay off of the bluff side until your rake is just about to enter the draw . She also has a lot of mechanical issues and you should call out in the river before you get into the ditch with your tow .

There used to be a draw at the entrance to the St. Johns river in Jacksonville that was a snake in the grass but the Florida DOT took it upon themselves to help us water truckers out and built a high rise in her place . After Savannah the only other bridge to really have any concern over would be the Kingsley Creek Combination Br in Fernandina .. but that is becaue recreational boaters will often challenge you in this long draw and quickly find out that there really wasn't all that much room to begin with . I usually give a security call on VHF channels 13/16 a mile or so out ... that way if I crush a center console or run over a sailboat I am covered by my adherence to the rules of the road .

HTH , Go Tigers !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Bridges on the AICW heading south that command respect

Mar 27, 2018, 10:41 AM

Thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 10:55 AM

This is Lady's Island , last summer on a rare trip south for me . My company jad a barge going to Jacksonville from Chesapeake City , Md ...and since I am one of the few they have that has done the ditch ...they sent me .
Was a nice 7 day trip down the ICW . Loved every minute of it . Got me out of NYC where I have been trapped since 2012 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sorry to hear that, TD. I'll make sure I don't give you too

Mar 27, 2018, 11:37 AM

hard a time now that I know your terrible situation.

Will be praying you are liberated from that place as soon as possible.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry to hear that, TD. I'll make sure I don't give you too

Mar 27, 2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks Billy , and I will let you know if it works .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Bridges on the AICW heading south that command respect ]

I love the stretch from Edisto Island to Beaufort through the ACE Basin (Ashepoo, Combahee and Edisto Rivers)! Pick me up in Beaufort and drop me off in Little River sometime!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 1:47 PM

That is a great run through there .
Will do !

You can wash dishes to earn your keep .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 4:29 PM

Cheap boat ride!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 10:52 AM

I'll try and remember that if I'm ever tugging down through there, and that will be never!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate"

Mar 27, 2018, 11:11 AM

I see a movie deal and/or Netflix documentary as well.

I don't see a lot of money though unless you include strippers, etc.

Message was edited by: ninetytwotiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That movie for TD23 has already been made.

Mar 27, 2018, 11:14 AM

It was called Bridges of Madison County.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate"

Mar 27, 2018, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate" ]

How about one of those " reality " shows where we sit around and say stupid things to one another , stare at our personal electronic devices and think about going home all the time . .
No wait , that's actual reality. Literally .

DB23

Re: Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate"

Mar 27, 2018, 12:20 PM

To be honest, I actually had a little experience with tug boats when I lived in Hawaii. But it only lasted a week bc of being the last hired with only deck hand experience that landed me at the bottom of the fuel tanks with a fresh air mask strapped around my face with a needle gun in hand removing rust from the tanks. After a week of that, I went back to say, no more no more Jack, and pay me bc I'm out of here, and I went back to work on a long line boat. Fighting 200 plus Lbs yellow Fin for two week trips at a time was much better than a needle gun for me:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was some chick on here yesterday all wadded up about

Mar 27, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate" ]

literally . . . . she ain't gonna like this.

I'd tell you who to put on ignore to avoid the wrath, but I'm too lazy to go back & look.

Good luck - you're gonna need it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Didn't Dug already write a book?***

Mar 27, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Write you a book: "Tug: Adventures if an Intracoastal Pirate" ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

I was fortunate to ride on a tug back in the late 80's, pushing 42 barges loaded with military equipment. I was responsible for the deployment of the 502d Inf Brigade task force from Ft Campbell, KY to Ft Chafee Arkansaw, for the joint readiness training center. It was a blast...good food and good sites and almost 7 days of sleeping.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 11:59 AM

I started on the Mississippi , and that is a different level of push boating right there .
Every time I hear an east coast tugboater complain about having to make up a two barge tow I smile , think about how many I had to wire together back in the early 90's working on line tows .
Good memories for sure .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 12:13 PM

Wappoo Cut....aah...memories...Stono River...smell of the marsh!

When the current runs, you can't hardly put enough weight on a fishing line to get it deep. Then again, you can also 'troll' from shore. ;)

Neat work you do!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Bridges on the AICW heading south that command respect ]

How did you get your start with the Tugboat/Towing industry Tigerdug. I know that for a work boat, those Tugboat Captain's make sure they are clean at all times, or the few I have been around were very clean, and they were 10-20 year old Tugs!!!

Mar 27, 2018, 1:51 PM

Lived in Memphis TN in the early 90's ... met a guy at a bar one night that was an engineer on a tug out of Greenville , MS and he turned me in a direction to a few outfits that might be hiring . I was on a tugboat in a week . Decked for about 6 years and got my first issued Mates license in 1998 .
Been doing it ever since .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 2:10 PM

First Mate jobs are the best jobs on about any Boat job, but they better know their shiot if they want to keep a 1st mates job very long. With the years of experience you have on a Tug/Towing boat, you most definitely know your shiot, with your experience, you can go and work with any Tug/Towing in the world, and that's a broad list of jobs!!!

Mar 27, 2018, 4:13 PM

Im happy where Im at though . Got my own boat with a small company out of Maryland ( 22 tugs) and have been with them for the better part of 13 years .
I could see heading somewhere else if the market changed but things are steady in the petro-chemical trade right now ...so steady work .

DB23

Aye listen to the Tiger Captain's experience always.....

Mar 27, 2018, 12:31 PM

I've rode the tide out from Mount Plesant under the bridge; up close and personal with the Yorktown; and out to Shutes Island in the middle of harbor. The rode the tide and paddled kayak back into Shems Creek and Red's for a beer and shrimp. Had a tug boat blew the horn at one in our group in his way. It was a great experience in a kayak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DUG...I have no problems transversing on HHI’s Skull Creek section

Mar 27, 2018, 12:35 PM

on my Yamaha Waverunner..even at 50mph & sideways with a Rum Runner in one hand! LoL!

Wish I’d seen you pass by & under 278 Bridge since i’d put out the 1977 Orange PAW Flag to welcome you!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see our group doing Hilton Head. We're pretty laidback...

Mar 27, 2018, 12:56 PM

The Edisto River is our main delight. I've gone down it from Aiken County to the sea. Also most other freshwater areas. Sparkleberry Swamp is a favorite. Stay well Bill.

Re: I see our group doing Hilton Head. We're pretty laidback...

Mar 27, 2018, 1:59 PM

Sparkleberry Swamp is the best place in SC to be in mid to late summer. My brother lives in Manning, and he knows that swamp like the back of his hand, and I'm 100% lost 200 yards from the hill. But I have been in that swamp a couple hundred times fishing for bass, crappie, and huge brim. And there is some HUGE gators up in that swamp especial of the path of dead river. And Pasinney island is one of my favorite places to spend the night in the cabin my brother and his friends have built in the trees, and cat fishing trot lines. Some of the best times in my life have been in Sparkleberry swamp with my older brother fishing and camping. I would never suggest anyone to go in that swamp and not know it, they may never be seen again. And the water is low, you better not go in there with a Fiberglass boat bc the stumps will knock the bottom out of it!!!

I agree about getting lost its easy to get turned around and

Mar 27, 2018, 4:27 PM

lost. It's a photographer's dream. I've been in there when the water was low. Couldn't believe motorboats were there. We couldn't get back to a floating cabin on the northeast side because of low water. I've also witnessed the water very high. Still a favorite. So many birds. Still trying to get the kingfisher image. And snakes. Never seen an alligator there, although I probably haven't looked very hard. Thanks for sharing.

Re: I agree about getting lost its easy to get turned around and

Mar 27, 2018, 9:24 PM

My brother has a 15' DuraCraft aluminum boat with a 35 HP Mercury motor that will run 45 on the river, and he will run through that swamp about 3 quarters throttle jumping stumps and using those cypress trees to keep from hydro planning making those turns. Depending on what part of the swamp we're in, he has scared the shiot out of me. I've grabbed his favorite rod and reel before threatening to throw it out the boat if he didn't slow down. I've told him many times if anybody ever stole his boat, to tell the police that they could match my finger indention's on both sides of it to prove it was his if they ever found it. But no doubt, inside of that swamp is a beautiful place....

These instructions, they're all...?

Mar 27, 2018, 2:32 PM

euphemisms for something obscene aren't they?

Re: These instructions, they're all...?

Mar 27, 2018, 4:15 PM

LoL .

Maybe

DB23

If you ain't rubbin, you ain't tuggin

Mar 27, 2018, 2:35 PM

Amirite?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If you ain't rubbin, you ain't tuggin

Mar 27, 2018, 4:21 PM

Sometimes you gotta lean on things , to keep from destroying more important things .

I never said this if my company asks .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 4:03 PM

TigerDug23 ---- Thanks for that information. As soon as my ship comes in (I've been waiting for over 96 years) I'll be able to follow your advice.

Speaking about Greenville, MS. After WW2 and graduating from the Univ. of Florida, I was working in Leland, MS, just a stone's throw from Greenville, Greenville was not on the main channel of the river but there were several businesses that built tug boats. A lot of tows used the channel to Greenville as a rest stop, Other tows moved cotton from Greenville to New Orleans. Grenville was a pretty active port at that time.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 4:17 PM

Joe21 , I am sure there is nothing near what there was in 1992 , and in your time there must have been four times the activity in Greenville.
I flew out of Greenville's airport once to make it home to SC over an emergency and I believe that airport is an old military field. Not sure of it , but it had that look .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 4:23 PM

TD23 --- The Greenville airport was, at one time, an Air Force Base. One of my nephews took his basic flying there. I believe it was closed sometime in the 1950's and became the Greenville Airport

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 5:00 PM

I figured as much . Had that old army airfield look .

DB23

Mar 27, 2018, 4:35 PM

TD,
Let's say I'm in a 45'cruiser, does the same advice apply? Planning to make the trip in a couple of years.
Thanks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 5:06 PM

It absolutely does with a good size boat lile that , especially with wind direction when approaching a bridge .
Our tows overall length ( boat+barge ) varies between 250 and 450 ft , so its a smidge more ticklish ..but yes . Know the current and k ow your area . Invest in a good chart plotter and a navigational program if you haven't already . They're invaluable .

DB23

The next time I take my tugboat to Chesapeake I will give

Mar 27, 2018, 4:39 PM

you a call for the heads up.

Re: The next time I take my tugboat to Chesapeake I will give

Mar 27, 2018, 5:00 PM

Waiting on that call.

DB23

Good info TD - I live on Causton Bluff Dr

Mar 28, 2018, 9:53 PM

right down the street from the bridge. Lucky my GW is only 21' so no worries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic