Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 101
| visibility 1

X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl

Dec 8, 2019, 9:55 PM

Hello Clemson fans. I am an Ohio State fan and I just wanted to talk the X and O's of the matchup in this game. I am not here to talk trash, but just to have a good football conversation. I can help to answer questions if you have any and discuss Osu's strength and weaknesses and where I'd attack the buckeyes. I also want to learn more about your team and what you see as your strengths and weaknesses. I have watched most of your games but not as intently as you would have. I think you have a great team and I believe whoever wins this game will win it all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl

Dec 8, 2019, 9:59 PM

buck1 said:

Hello Clemson fans. I am an Ohio State fan and I just wanted to talk the X and O's of the matchup in this game. I am not here to talk trash, but just to have a good football conversation. I can help to answer questions if you have any and discuss Osu's strength and weaknesses and where I'd attack the buckeyes. I also want to learn more about your team and what you see as your strengths and weaknesses. I have watched most of your games but not as intently as you would have. I think you have a great team and I believe whoever wins this game will win it all.

How do we know you are not a spy for your buckeye coaches and are just trying to find a chink in our armor to exploit?

??

Dec 8, 2019, 10:01 PM

You don't. But I hope our coaching staff would be a better at analyzing and breaking down your team than we all would be or else the buckeyes are in trouble.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:04 PM

Congrats to your undefeated season. I have 2 questions for you. How good are your DBs and how does Buckeye Nation feel about getting Clemson in the semi?

Dec 8, 2019, 10:29 PM

Congrats on your impressive win streak. Most of our fan base is delusional. Every fan base has those but we have a lot more who talk a lot of trash without knowing really anything about football. The rational ones know this will be a tough game and most wanted to play Oklahoma for obvious reasons. We play 3 corners in our base defense. Our defensive backs are probably as good as you will find on any team. Okudah is our top corner and is likely to be the first cornerback selected in this years draft. Shaun Wade is our slot corner he is about 6'2" and also a probable first round selection. He is vulnerable to quick routes and being off the snap but usually recovers on longer routes. He plays in the slot because he is a very good run stuffer for a corner. Our final corner is Damon Arnette. He is likely a third to fourth round selection in this draft. He is probably the most prone to blowing a coverage of the corners. He is also playing with a broken wrist so he can not intercept the ball.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:50 PM

Thank you!

don’t you know they sent an army of analysts to read Tnet?

Dec 9, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl ]

We have the finest collection of coaching talent in the world here. We even have coach Mac

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 10:02 PM

We don’t eat as much cheese as Wisconsin and we’re a lot faster than them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes you are much faster than Wisconsin and not comparable to anyone that we have played previously. But I would not hate on the cheese or how miserable would dinner parties be without it.

there is a cheese:speed ratio

Dec 9, 2019, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl ]

You gotta be careful this time of year.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:03 PM

Remember what it went down like last time? Now, multiply that by two. And, tell your qb not to run too much or he be kilt. JK NR.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:06 PM

You are a very good team and you have a reason to be very confident. But I am not here to try to get into trash talk. I am just here to break down the game X and Os wise in a peaceful manner.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:48 AM

Welcome to T-Town. We have our share of delusional fans as well.

I have been reading some stuff on y'all's elevenwarriors site. It has been very interesting.
A lot has been made of how small our d-line is. That is a legitimate concern, but I think BV's schemes maximize our speed advantages. Also, we are deep enough to substitute freely on the D-line, so I think the idea of wearing us out with the running game might be overstated.

Our O-line are not road-graders, like your guys, but they are a cohesive, experienced unit. I think that when we spread y'all out, we will be able to move the ball on the ground with our RBs and with Trevor. The spread thing makes our slants and middle field passing game open up as well (some of your guys seem to think that is a weakness of y'alls)

I think it should be a great game. You guys get healthy - we want you at full strength.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Eleven Warriors has some good content especially the articles but obviously some of the forums on there are not realistic or arrogant.

They are referencing that interior defensive line because our interior offensive line has been the strength of the line. Against, Michigan they had similar sized defensive tackles and Jk had like 210 yards rushing that game so thats where they are coming from there. Our offensive tackles are awful in pass pro so you could exploit that. I don't think we will be able to wear you out because most teams cant move the ball at all on us but you should be able to.

Our weakness is on quick passes, screens, jet sweeps. Our linebackers are not made to cover. It will be interesting how much you do spread us out because you may not want to go 5 wide in order to help against Chase.

Yes, hopefully there are no new injuries for either side leading up to this game. We should be healed after getting banged up in that final stretch of 3 straight games against top 15 teams.

We rarely run 5 wide sets.***

Dec 9, 2019, 8:54 AM

Welcome to the board. In short we can score at will. We have a lot of weapons on offense and it will take a huge effort from your defense to slow us down. On defense we are great as a unit. Dline is not what is was last year, but we had 3 first rounders. Our weakness is the dline and getting pressure. I am also not sure we can stop a premier back like Dobbins with only 4.

Venables has a lot of time so expect a lot of different looks and pressure from everywhere.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 10:10 PM

I agree that you can score at will. Most of your struggles early on offensively were self inflicted wounds on otherwise successful series. I agree that you have a good defense and Veneables is a great gameplanner. As to your strength to get pressure as a weakness is something that Veneables will have to figure out. Our interior offensive line is very strong and the heart of our offense. But our tackles are very weak and exploitable. Fields also struggles with blitz recognition and will stand in the pocket too long instead of using his legs.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:13 PM

I expect it to be a good game and high scoring. In our secondary you will attack Muse in the pass game and have success. I do think we are able to confuse Fields enough. Chase young will have a good game and we have to plan for him. He's a great player.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:35 PM

I agree Brent will confuse Justin but as of yet Justin hasn't made many mistakes with throwing the ball into coverage. (1 interception all year) Chase is an amazing talent. I would try to run draws or delayed counters towards his side because he often gets up field so fast he leaves the edge wide open. That should make him hesitate towards just rushing right away.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields throw a pick.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:07 AM

That might sound bold and unfounded, but I assure you he will get confused at some point and make a mistake. I have zero qualms saying that this is the best Defensive Coordinator he will face in his college career.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields throw a pick.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:14 AM

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Ive been expecting it at points this season but it just hasn't happened. But with windows being tighter in this game, it is a greater possibility. But his stat line of having 40 touchdown passes and just 1 interception is impressive.

It certainly is. That stands out huge to me.***

Dec 9, 2019, 9:42 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice to have you here.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl ]

You have touched on my two key factors in this game:

1) How does our defensive line handle your interior line and the play of JK Dobbins?

2) How does Fields react to the multiple blitz packages that Venables will throw at him?

I think if one of these two areas goes wildly awry the benefactor will win this game.

Re: Nice to have you here.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:12 AM

1.) In the run game we throw a lot of different looks and different plays at a defense. We will run from shotgun and under center. Our interior offensive line has been able to overpower a lot of fronts. For your defensive line, I know this is the easy answer but truly they should just try to maintain the line of scrimmage. JK has great vision and can make something out of nothing but beating the interior offensive line is the key. JK is hard to see behind the offensive line (he is actually like 5'7" ) which makes it difficult to key in on.

2. Justin is slow to react to the blitz. He will stand in the pocket what seems like is forever. He does not have an internal clock of when to take off. However, this being said Fields is tough to bring down in the pocket and can cause major headaches especially if you blitz and leave his legs unaccounted for.

You are exemplary of what college football talk should be.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:55 AM

Glad to have you here and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks of breaking down this game.

hey Ohio

Dec 8, 2019, 10:08 PM

If we lose to you , we will be pulling for you. Good luck to you.

I think Clemson defense will give some yards in space. When you are in the red zone, it will be harder to score on them
. If Ohio can be successful with long throws is, we will be in trouble.

Offense we will have an advantage. We have 3 receivers that are hard to cover one on one. If you drop back for coverage, then etn or our qb will run. Our QB throws a good ball and he is smart.

Our defense is good but our offense is ridiculously good.

I think 45 to 31 Clemson wins.

Your turn about your team and Clemson ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: hey Ohio

Dec 8, 2019, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the hospitality. As for Osu's offense we will run dobbins an excessive amount in varying formations. You stop dobbins and make fields beat you should be the gameplan. As far as yards in space we run a ton of different things with our receivers but there is only one who is a true gamebreaker. That is Chris Olave #17. He is the deep threat or big play receiver. As far as Osu in the red zone, we have struggled there in some situations because we have not been able to run fields due to his injuries. Early in the season, we were primarily only a zone read with fields and dobbins team in the red zone which I expect them to go back to in this game.

As far as attacking our defense:
We play a 4-3 base with 3 cornerbacks and one free deep middle safety on almost every play
-We switch between man to man and cover 3 in most situations
-Force us to make tackles in space, runs screens, jet sweeps etc
-Get ettiene to the edge or in open space
-We have solid corners who should be able to cover your wide outs
-I would double Chase in some form each play
-We are weak at linebacker outside of #39 Malik harrison so that is advantage clemson big time in the pass game there
-Also we can not defend a slant to save our lives

Overall your offense will get yours I would focus on limiting Ettiene and limiting deep plays in the pass game

Re: hey Ohio

Dec 8, 2019, 10:21 PM

Your wide outs will get theirs without a doubt I forgot to add that part when just kind of rattling off facts about our defense

Hey Buck

Dec 9, 2019, 12:42 AM [ in reply to Re: hey Ohio ]

First, it is refreshing to hear from an opposing fan who is polite, respectful, and doesn't talk trash. Thank you.

A few things to add...

1. I wouldn't be too confident in your corners' ability to cover our wideouts, especially Higgins and Ross. They are big, fast, and capable of amazing catches. Lots of YAK. Amsri Rodgers is smaller, faster, and can break bubble screens and fly sweeps for big plays. We have lots of depth behind them, including the fast freshmen Ngata and Ladson.

2. Chase Young is unbelievably good.
He should win the Heisman, despite Joe Burrows' great year. He won't, which is criminal. We will have to scheme specifically for him. Our good news is that our big tight end Galloway will be off suspension and he's a good to great chip blocker. Having 4 seniors and Jackson Carman on our O-line should help. Those seniors have 2 NC rings, which they earned the hard way.

3. Tanner Muse (safety) is sometimes vulnerable to getting beat for big plays, at other times he's a beast. See Jerry Jeudy smoking him in the championship game last season, then Jim stoning Tua on a 4th down run later in the game for examples of that inconsistency. Our corners are very good, especially Kendrick, who is a very fast converted flanker.

4. If the game comes down to a single field goal, I'm not 100% confident in our kickers. Both Potter and Sawicki have had some yips this yearm Potter is a lot more experienced and will get most of the placekicking work. When he's on, he is very good.

5. If this turns into a track meet scoring contest, I like Clemson's chances. We have 3 tailbacks that can go 80 yards in a blink, big play recievers, great coaching, and have essentially used 11 of our games as practice for stouter competition. Our defense can play bend but not break at a high level when needed, but has generally stifled the opposing offenses. Clemson hasn't given up more that 20 points all season. Then again, we haven't played you guys yet.

I live in an area with tons of Ohio transplants and have a lot of Buckeye friends. My bucket list includes an OSU game in the 'Shoe..hoping for the TTUN game next year.

I obviously hope my team wins a good clean game, but I truly believe that the Clemson-OSU game is functionally the NC game.

Merry Christmas or if you celebrate other holidays, enjoy them.

Re: Hey Buck

Dec 9, 2019, 1:06 AM

Thank you and Merry Christmas. I do not understand the need to trash talk for a big game with two very talented teams. I hope it is a clean game and neither team gets too banged up that they can't win it all. The shoe is great place for a game and the michigan game is a life or death up here as you might know from ohio transplants. In reply to the points you made:

1. Yes I am not overly confident in the battle against your wideouts. Your receivers will get theirs. But I am confident that our corners are good enough to not get beat because of them if we execute. Okudah will likely shadow Ross which will be a great battle (CB1 in 2020 vs WR1 in 2021 drafts). Bubble screens and jet sweeps have had large success against us in recent weeks but we have been missing a starter in the secondary at most points of the last three games. Its a pick your poison and I would rather make TL make consistent tough throws before Chase and co get there as opposed to ETN just wearing us down.

2. Chase is great in the fact that he is actually a leader in the locker room. He could have left like Bosa did last year (he got hurt) upon being suspended but he stayed. He will line up everywhere to try to get him in one on ones.

3 Our big play threat is Chris Olave #17. We scheme him on any deep shot route because he is so fast. We rotate 5 receivers with all different skill sets which one could be better/worse against each corner. Will be interesting to see.

4. I hope it doesn't come down to kickers. Ours has been alright and is senior but with kickers as shown in the nfl you never know.

5. Osu will likely run the ball a ton which will try to prevent a track meet. We also are deep at running back our backup running back was third team all Big ten behind taylor and JK. We have prior to the last 3 games, we had Fields play an entire game only once similar to you our best competition was in practice. It should be a good one lots of schematic and draft matchups to watch.

So Bucky, it's burbon or scotch, just not wine & cheese***

Dec 8, 2019, 10:09 PM

Dec 8, 2019, 10:17 PM

On offense, it's a pick your poison type of situation. You can either sell out to stuff the run and let Trevor find Ross, Higgins and the gang for big chunks or you can sit back and realize that Etienne and Dixon are picking up perhaps smaller, but still rather large chunks.

On Defense, you and the entire OSU offensive coaching staff can throw out whatever it is you may have seen Brent Venables do up to this point because if there is one thing for sure, NoBody knows what that mad man will cook up for your Buckeyes. But be certain, it will be frustrating and hair pulling for your entire Buckeye offensive staff and squad. He is a genius.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:41 PM

Offensive: I look forward to the Veneables and Day coordinating matchup. Day and Veneables are both brilliant minds and it will be quite the chess match. I assume Brett will run some confusing zone concepts and pressures to take advantage of our weak tackle play.

Defensive: I agree you have talent across the board on offense. Personally, Ettiene is the player I would want to stop the most as Osu's strength on defense is the corners. Also, partially because I believe no matter what you scheme up your receivers will get theirs.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:47 PM

It’s gonna be a great game. Definitely don’t think it will be another 31-0 blowout.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:35 PM

lol Don't remind me of that painful game. A good laugh for all the tiger fans is that Urban played JT Barrett that year over a redshirt sophomore Joe Burrow and redshirt freshman Dwayne Haskins. That was Urbans greatest pet peeve I had of him as a coach was playing the most experienced player over the best player.

good luck with this...

Dec 8, 2019, 10:20 PM

...my guess is it won’t go well.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good luck with this...

Dec 8, 2019, 10:22 PM

Good luck to you as well. Your team is very talented and very well coached. I look forward to seeing how well or not well we stack up

Dec 8, 2019, 10:25 PM

I meant the thread, not the game. Lots of snark on here. Very few will have a good discussion with our own fans, and it just gets worse with opponents fans.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:31 PM

Yeah there are those with every fan base (a lot more in ours than most) and to be expected when you come to someone else's site.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:38 PM

buck1 said:

Yeah there are those with every fan base (a lot more in ours than most) and to be expected when you come to someone else's site.

Clemson’s best corner #8 Terrell is one of the best in the game. Successfully taken away almost every teams best receiver. Throw to the opposite corner DK at your own risk also. This is the best secondary in football. Gonna have to dink and dunk and get Dobbins going between the tackles. There will be nothing completed outside the numbers downfield. They will have to use the middle of the field and check down outside to running backs. Giving Brent this much time is scary. That’s why Clemson plays so good with this much time. He’s a mad scientist with the disposition of a rabid dog.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:45 PM

We rotate 5 different receivers through at pretty regular rates so there will not be a consistent receiver on the field specifically. But the best receiver we have is Chris Olave and Day moves him around a ton to get match up advantages. We mostly dink and dunk anyways. We only really run deep routes on 2nd and short or 1st and 10 in between the 40's. Veneables is great and unpredictable but Day is also really strong schematically so it will be a fun chess match.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:55 PM

Buck, I thought last year if Day had stayed the head coach they would have been in the playoffs; the dude has impressed me that much. Not only is he a good schemer, but may be one of the best at in-game adjustments. That is one of the most overlooked aspects in coaching. Too many coordinators are unable to adapt their strategy through the coarse of the game. That said, I think that for all of the media hype, Buckeyes were a lot closer to our situation than folks want to admit. There were no real challenges to them because the Big dosnt have athletes anywhere near their level. While a few teams like Michigan or PSU have a WR here or there that can run, Ohio St had dudes all over the field on both sides that can run.
As for the matchup, I'm not going to talk trash, y'all have a talented that could very well win it all. I love our chances. But turnovers, bad breaks etc happen. I do think Chase Young will give the right side of our line fits, but hopefully with some help he can be negated somewhat. Our DLine isnt what it was the last couple of years, so BV has adapted his D to let LBs be the playmakers. Has been pretty effective so far, but if yall get rolling, could absolutely be trouble.
Our offense? Look, Burrow has had a great year, but I still would take Trevor over anyone else. Kid is just another level and has been since middle school. It is that apparent. ETN is a game breakers but if yall decide to sell out and stop him, it CAN be done, but at what cost? We dont have quite that same 3rd guy that Hunter was, but Amari has played huge in big games and Overton has also started coming on strong. Hes very talented and would be a #1 at a lot of schools. All in all I am not quite arrogant enough to predict a blowout, but either school could win this game. I do think history shows our boys play at a ridiculous level starting mid November, but who knows? GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 12:13 AM

That blowout was rough but it is a very different Ohio state team now. Never forget JT Barrett started that year over Burrow and Haskins (both were better then than JT). I do think Day is better than Meyer in game calling regards plus Urban hired his friends as assistants and they failed to do their jobs. Yes I agree that we were kind of in the same boat that our teams were far too talented for our conference opponents to truly compete with us. But you guys get chopped down because the normally top 20 teams in your conference were down such as FSU, Miami and even the half in half out Notre Dame. I believe these are the two most complete teams in the country and it will be fun to see them matched up finally with an equally talented opponent. Best of luck.

Should be a good game

Dec 8, 2019, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: good luck with this... ]

Good luck to you it should be a good game.

Dobbins is clearly the biggest concern as we really haven’t faced a true grind it out hog molly type rushing attack which I would say was our biggest concern all year.

I would guess we will try to strike quick and make it a track meet so you get away from the Dobbins pound it game plan.

But if our standard D isn’t working Venables will sell out to stop the run so I guess it depends how big of a gambler your play callers are to recognize that and hit your shots over the top.

We have very good lock down corners but you may be able to get a safety in a bad matchup if you scheme it up right. That is your best shot.

Isaiah Simmons is a real life Alien who will likely be spying Fields all day. He is a DE/LB/CB/S freak of nature who will make you want to throw stuff at the TV. Just won the Butkus award.

If it comes down to our Kicker you have a good chance as he is hit or miss. And our punter leaves a lot to be desired.

But Trevor, ETN, Ross, Higgins and our OL are not just good they are dominant. We also get our starting TE back from the bogus Ostarine BS from last year and he gives us another angle of attack.

From what I have seen this should be a good game but I haven’t seen anyone who can handle TL when he is dialed in.

Good Luck. He is a generational type talent.

Re: Should be a good game

Dec 8, 2019, 11:08 PM

I would sell out to stop JK but most teams have done that even without fields as a true threat to run in recent games because of injury. Day is a scheme master and consistently finds way to get our best players in one on ones. But veneables is also so it should be interesting. Isaiah is a monster but I don't know if it is worth spying Justin. He is athletic enough to warrant a spy but he is truly a pass first qb and will only run as a last resort. We will probably call more designed runs though since he should finally be healthy. Should be a good one with nfl talent all over the field.

We know all about Chase Young... but how are your back 7 on

Dec 8, 2019, 10:45 PM

defense?

Re: We know all about Chase Young... but how are your back 7 on

Dec 8, 2019, 10:51 PM

Linebackers are the spot to take advantage of. We have one very good linebacker in Malik Harrison #39 but the other two primarily Tuf Borland #32 and Pete Werner #20 are coverage liabilities. We also play #5 Baron Browning at middle linebacker on passing downs. He is insanely athletic as a former 5 star but can be fooled by misdirection. The secondary is what I would call the strength of the defense. We play 3 corners and one middle of the field safety. Jeff Okudah is the projected first corner to be taken in the draft. Shaun Wade plays slot corner who is another high projected pick (1st or 2nd round). He is vulnerable to quick routes in coverage but is pretty solid outside of getting torched on slants. The final corner is Damon Arnette. He is a senior and the weakest of the three. But he is still likely to get drafted this April. He is the weakest link in coverage of the three. Safety is kind of a non factor. Jordan Fuller is a good player but slow to react to pass plays and more just a safety valve over the top.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:32 PM

Excellent comments Buck1. Going back to your corners, ther is no doubt that they are very talented, especially Okudah. I agree that Okudah may be able to cover our receivers, but the question is can he stop them from making catches. Because of their height and Lawrence's accuracy, they make a lot of catches when they are well covered. We also have a pass catching tight end who has just become eligible for this game, so I doubt that OSU has him on the radar. However, I am always skeptical of someone who hasn't played all year just stepping in and making a huge impact.

I do not like it when we only rush three and we allow any QB to stand back and have all day to throw. We did that against Texas A&M and again against UVA. That said, it seems to work in the long run. Against TAM we gave up a considerable number of throws on the boundaries, but nothing over the middle. You may remember last year against Bama that we killed their crossing routes over the middle. The moral of the story is that Venables knows what he is doing and everything he does has a purpose.

I expect an interesting game because I don't think we really know how good we are and we will see if OSU is as good as the talking heads think they are. One, both, or neither may be true.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:52 PM

The tight end should play a big role in attacking our linebackers. We are prone to losing tight ends in coverage from our linebackers biting on play action. Tee and Justyn are great 50-50 ball receivers and Trevor can throw as good of that pass as any but all over our three corners are a legit 6'0" or taller. So we really couldn't ask for better matchups against height than that size at corner. It will just be a line them up and see who makes the play. Yes I agree Osu offense against your defense will be a fun scheme matchup with some coverages Justin has yet to see. I doubt Brent would drop 8 in regular down and distances against us though because Justin can run for a 3-4 yards a pop in those zones schemes. Should be a good one. I just hope neither qb gets hurt because neither have anyone close to them on the bench.

Chase Brice says “hi”***

Dec 9, 2019, 10:22 AM

Brice isn't close to Lawrence***

Dec 9, 2019, 1:17 PM

I may be as close to a "objective" bystander as you....

Dec 8, 2019, 11:11 PM

.... will find. But, I'm not really. As you can see from my username and logo I'm an FSU fan. But, Clemson is my second favorite team.

Here is my perspective on the two teams. Both are outstanding. Both have amazingly talented QBs and RBs. (I give a slight edge to Clemson on both, but slight.) I don't know as much about Buckeye WRs, but I will tell you if you try to play press man coverage on Ross or Higgins with no deep safety help, you will get burned. (FSU and others have tried it; all failed miserably.)

On defense, Brent Venables is the best DC in the country, bar none. And, this is the best coaching job he has ever done. The talent he lost to the NFL (4 DL, 3 first rounders) was amazing. He re-tooled the D and they are actually - thanks to the back seven - better than last year. Never expect to see the same scheme on back to back plays. He will rush somewhere between 3 and 7, and you never know which guys on the second level are gonna come. Simmons (#11) is an easy top of the first round pick. He can literally play safety, nickel back, OLB and DE. He will line up at all of those positions throught the game.

In order to beat Clemson - assuming nothing really flukey happens and no major injuries is:
1. Win the turnover battle. (Not easy; Clemson is +14 this year.)
2. Win the special teams (kicking) battle. (That is easier. A weakness of Clemson.)

Re: I may be as close to a "objective" bystander as you....

Dec 8, 2019, 11:24 PM

How does that work being a fan of two teams in the same division (who do you root for when they play each other)? Aside, how do you feel about the Norvell hire? I agree it is not easy to match up one on one with clemsons receivers and they will get theirs but we have 3 really talented corners. Buckeye wide outs are a rotation of 5 guys all talented but all that do different things. We do not have one that currently is as good as Justyn or Tee but we have some younger guys with that level potential. I do think that the game will come down to whether our offensive line can establish the run and keep the Clemson offense off the field.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:22 AM

I am curious about Bret's answer as well...

Anyway, your (OSU) rivals are in the same conference/division. FSU, Clemson, etc rivals are out-of-conference. While opponents, there is a LOT less bile between the programs. Sure, we want to beat the crap out of each other on the field but generally speaking, a lot less hate. I work with a lot of FSU folks and it is a lot nicer of an experience than most programs. Their coach has never tried to strangle one of our players. Just a classier program and most folks like the Bowdens - that helped.

Remember when ND had the "best secondary" in 2018? They had a fantastic unit and likely earned that term. You can play perfect coverage and TL16 is still thread it in with a one-toe one-handed catch. We will exploit other teams "strengths".

I would generally say that Clemson will "let" you run the ball. BV will give generally give you that trade and has done so in the past. Keep the ball away from Clemson isn't an issue. We strike FAST and rarely have and positive time of possession unless we are burning the clock in the 3rd/4th. Seriously, I think we are like ranked 44th and a lot of that possession was garbage time.

Now here is the more interesting item. Defensive passing efficiency. Both OSU and Clemson are statistical anomalies in both categories (#1 & #2 respectively). But here is the funny part... the ACC is a lot better passing (efficiency) conference relatively speaking but weaker overall. Only Minnesota and Indiana ranks highly (beyond the CFP teams), then followed by Ped State at like the mid 40s. Comparatively, UNC, UL, Wake, Va Tech and FSU (ironically) and to a lesser extent UVA in total passing. While the ACC lacks any top challengers overall, the passing threat is more than you would find even in better B10 offenses. While not a B12 level of "gunning it" the ACC is likely next passing-like conference (although the SEC looks like it is changing).

Which lead you to the OSU problem. Are you going to be able to generate POINTS (not yards) to keep pace with our attack. If you play B10 style, control the football.... well that will result in defeat because the outcome is based on points, not possession. You are about to play a very different style of game where the only B10 equivalent is Minnesota/Indiana that lack the talent.

There is going to come a point where we will likely rifle off 21+ points in a very short window. Either you need to build a lead before that or answer in kind.

OSU is by far the fastest B10 team and you have been able to exploit that advantage in conference. Best example is the gap between OSU and Mich. It is tough to tell how well you will be able to play a non-B10 team. The B10 isn't as weak at the ACC as a whole (we got a bunch of 7-5 teams and nothing else), but you can kinda point to our two SEC games showing how we play against other conferences.

Realistically, I think OSU would struggle but probably win against A&M. I just don't know how OSU translates against non-B10 opponents. You can kinda say that about Clemson and top 10 opponents but then there is a LOT of past examples of that... just not with this defense.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:27 PM

I would not compare ND to our team. ND's secondary were good college players but not the level of NFL prospects as two or all three of our corners. Julian Love I believe was the highest drafted corner of ND's and was 4th round pick. Okudah is a consensus top 10 pick and Wade is a back end of the first round or second round lock. Also both were 5 stars out of high school and the number 1 and 2 ranked corners in the 2017 recruiting class.

The Acc may have higher rankings of passing offenses because of play style or teams going through up and downs in the season but none of those teams have nfl talent at qb(UNC maybe but hes a true frosh). There is any number of reasons why some teams pass more than others it is difficult to evaluate. Like FSU played a qb that left because Wisconsin had a better qb. Also games would be very high scoring like Louisville vs Wake 62-59. Is that because those teams just can't cover or is it because their passing offenses are that good? If that wasn't an ACC game you would just say those defenses suck like everyone says with the big 12.

When we move the ball, we usually score. We only really stop ourselves in the red zone with fumbles. I don't think either team will rifle off points in a quick span because this is a matchup between the top two defenses. On the same foot, you might end up playing a very different game than you are used to with us controlling the clock and ball. We can score in an instant as well but we like to control the clock and run the ball.

We would beat A&M by 3 or 4 scores. They are really not good they went 7-5 with really their best win by beating literally no one. They beat south carolina (4-7), ole miss(4-8), UTSA (4-8), Miss State (6-6), Arkansas (2-10), Nicholls State (9-5 in FCS), Lamar (4-8 in FCS) and Texas State (3-9 in the sun belt). I think you all are really thinking they are better than they are because they are talented but dont play like it.

We are the number two team talent ranked team in the country behind alabama when you go strictly off recruiting rankings. PSU and Michigan are both higher than A&M.

Dec 9, 2019, 2:20 PM

#1 NFL draft does not equate to how a unit such as ND's CBs were playing. Again, ND was considered to have the best secondary in the CFP last year. And for the most part, they did quite well.

We only really stop ourselves in the red zone with fumbles
Ask Virginia or basically everyone else.

I don't think either team will rifle off points in a quick span because this is a matchup between the top two defenses.

You haven't watched Clemson in the past two years have you? We are not a possession offense. We basically did not have a drive of more than 8 plays (often less) before scoring against Alabama. UVA & A&M rarely went above 8 plays as well.

As for the ACC, it isn't "bad" but rather everyone is "midlevel" and our mid-tier is better than the B10 midtier. We don't have a false challenger to pad the schedule like Meechigan or an inept Ped State.

As for A&M - Jimbo can't coach a 3-4 loss team to save his life. Never been able to motivate when having "down" year or after a few losses. However, he is lethal when undefeated. If you face A&M early and they believe, I would put my money on A&M over OSU.

A&M just had to play @ #1 Clemson, #1 Alabama, now @ #1 LSU, @ #5 Georgia, and #12 Auburn.

Dec 9, 2019, 2:42 PM

It kind of does equate to how good a unit performs. Like if you were to be asked who has the best receiving cores in college football one would start with alabama and clemson. Why because they both have NFL receivers. There is a direct correlation to how a unit plays and individual talent. Also last year all of the playoff teams had weak secondaries. Alabama had a bunch of young inexperienced corners, Oklahoma didnt have a defense and you did not have anyone opposite of trayvon that was very good. This year has much better secondaries in the playoff with LSU, Osu and clemson.

I have watched Clemson the past two years and know that you arent a possession offense. I said that I dont think either team is going to rifle off points in a quick span like the 21+ very quickly you referred to. To suggest you are just going to rifle off 21 points in a quick span against a top defense isn't likely. Will you score, yes. Will you likely score in the 20's to 30's, yes. Yes A&M faced a gaunlet of a schedule but you are acting like they are some extremely good team who literally beat only one team even bowl eligible. The same team that only beat a 2-10 Arkansas team by 4 and lost to LSU by 43 points. A&M has talent but has never lived up to it. Please stop trying to compare 13-0 team with a 36.2 point average margin of victory to a 7-5 team with a 2.6 point average margin of victory.

Dec 9, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I may be as close to a "objective" bystander as you.... ]

Great questions.

I root for Noles to go 12-0 and Clemson to go 11-1. But, if Clemson beats FSU, I root for Clemson to go 12-0.

I am happy with the hiring of Norvell. He was on my short list even before Taggart was fired. But, with any given coach, there are no guarantees. All hires are a risk.

I thought Jim McElwain to Florida was a good hire. I thought Taggart to FSU was a good hire. I thought Orgeron to LSU was a bad hire.

But, sometimes I'm right. I though Muschamp to USCe was a terrible hire. I thought Fleck to Minnesota was a good hire.

Dec 9, 2019, 2:28 PM

Well said.

Anyway, I hope for FSU to be 11-2 each year. I want Wake to be 12-1 and Clemson 15-0. Sorry, can't say anything bad against the Deacs... it goes back to the 80s.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:40 PM

If you want to see the Xs and Os, go to last years National Championship game replay. See what the Clemson bad offensive line did to Bama's great defense and a Freshman QB and Freshman and Sophomore receivers did to their DBs.

The CU defense is different this year but is something OSU hasn't seen. Day will have to change to add extra help for blocking or Fields will not finish the game. UVA just added an extra blocker because without it, Perkins would have been sacked 5 or more times. Of course adding a blocker, takes away a receiver. Even with an extra blocker Perkins still still had to run because of the good coverage and ended up with fractured ribs.

You are about to see something you haven't seen all year and sound like the ND fans last year - worried!

Dec 8, 2019, 11:48 PM

I am here to talk about this years team and not the team from last year X and O's wise. Your team has not missed a beat in areas but to say there isn't weaknesses or strengths in different places than a year ago is irrational. I am sure your defensive line isn't the same as it was last year with i believe 5 getting drafted. Also, virginia isn't really a good comparison for Ohio State. You have every right to be confident in your team since you are very talented. Best of luck.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:17 AM

buck1, the #1 priority of your defense must be stopping ETN. If he runs wild, you don't stand a chance. Earlier in the year when Trevor (TL) wasn't his best, it really hindered the offense because the choice of "picking your poison" was so easy for defenses to make. Now that TL is playing his best, we are tough to stop. Bottom line: Jam ETN and trust your strong coverage guys.

Our WRs haven't faced a secondary in the same galaxy as yours (same for your DBs facing our receivers). That should be fun to watch.

There will be adjustments for Chase Young and I don't think he will dominate. Our offensive coaches saw your last 3 games and won't repeat Penn State's idiotic decision to single-block him. Young will see a combination of double-teams, moving pockets and quick throws.

Our defense is great, but I'm very concerned about stopping Dobbins and Fields on the ground. If fully healthy, Fields is so good at breaking the heart of defenses in 3rd down passing situations with his legs. My guess is Isaiah Simmons will spy on him quite often.

How well does your offense do in the Red Zone?

Is Fields expected to be fully healthy by Dec 28th?

Dec 9, 2019, 12:28 AM

I agree ETN has to be our first priority to stop. Because I think even if we try to play coverage your receivers will still get theirs. TL has really turned it on in the second half but I am interested to see how the offensive line will hold up against Chase and company. Outside of Chase we only really have guys, talented, but either very young or not world beaters. Chase rushes from both defensive end spots to make it more difficult to double or even triple him. As far as our receivers, your defensive backs are going to be a challenge but we rotate 5 guys in and out so it will be interesting to see who they like against who. The last really 5 or 6 games Justin has been playing at 85% from different injuries. I do not know if I would spy Justin because he truly is a pass first qb who can also run really well. Fields should be 100% for this game barring a setback, he has played with a MCL sprain the past two and a half games. Our offense ability in the red zone is hard to evaluate. Before Justin got banged up in the first Wisconsin game, we normally did read option with fields and jk on every goal to go situation which worked very well. But with Justin banged up, our red zone success dropped specifically in PSU and Wisconsin games because we want to run the ball down there or run crossing routes across the back of the end zone. So to answer your question, I think we will be solid in the red zone if Justin is healthy because a running quarterback is tough to stop in the red zone.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:09 AM

I skimmed through most but didn't read everything. Do you have any injury issues that might be relevant? As far as I know, we are pretty healthy. We have a couple of people banged up but nothing that shouldn't be ok in 3 weeks.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:21 AM

Fields has an mcl sprain been playing at like 80% for two weeks. He should be at or near 100% for the game assuming no set backs.

Our starting slot corner Shaun Wade got hurt Saturday night at the end of the game. But early reports are he should be good to go.

Our other starting cornerback Damon Arnette has been playing with a broken wrist all season and our rotational middle linebacker Baron Browning has played the last two weeks with a cast on his arm.

Barring any setbacks or injuries occuring between now and the game we should be healthy.

Dec 9, 2019, 6:16 AM

You boys stayed up late and provided some good reading for me to enjoy with my coffee.

Offensively I expect a couple new wrinkles, including the TE over the middle to give ETN some space and to loosen up the deep routes for 5 and 8.

Defensively we have to get good pressure from the edge, and the LBs need to have solid form against Dobbins.

Wish you guys had stayed at #1 so this could be for all the marbles. My gut says 31-17 but I won’t be shocked if it’s closer or if OSU wins. I’m at peace with whatever happens. These staffs are the best in the business for a reason.

Enjoy the buildup and what is certain to be the best game of the season.

WL

Dec 9, 2019, 8:29 AM

The tight end matched up on #32 or #20 (two linebackers) for our defense has been an advantage for any team we have played.

Dobbins is the engine to the machine right now but I will be curious to see how a healthy Fields impacts that.

I think whoever wins this is rolling LSU or Oklahoma in the title game. It will be interesting to see who finds mismatches and executes on them.

I'll bet right now that Trevor runs for

Dec 9, 2019, 6:50 AM

over 50 yards. When the playoffs start, our QBs will start running regularly. This typically picks up a few key first downs. That could be a difference maker in the game.

Re: I'll bet right now that Trevor runs for

Dec 9, 2019, 8:26 AM

This has been a weakness of us like most teams but I don't know if he gets fifty. He will probably get a few first downs on broken plays, but I don't see him getting many designed run play calls. Justin will also frustrate you in this way. He just has a knack of breaking tackles in the pocket and then running.

Agree about Justin. My point is that we change how we play

Dec 28, 2021, 8:19 AM

in the playoffs. Justin has been running all year, and we will prepare for that.

Trevor doesn't run much typically, but that will change vs OSU.

Also, TE Galloway back. He scored in spring game and looked like a piece we are missing.

Re: Agree about Justin. My point is that we change how we play

Dec 9, 2019, 11:20 AM

Yes, but we haven't really wanted him to run most of the year because of how little depth we have behind him (2 Qbs transferred out when Justin arrived). But Justin when he does run does a great job of deciding sliding or not sliding. We have been beaten by Qb run ala the penn state game and wisconsin game on the one touchdown. I am curious how much Galloway will be involved granted the success of your offense recently.

Buck, Lawrence has run a lot more by design, not just when scrambling.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll bet right now that Trevor runs for ]

He runs a mix of read option, QB draws, and a few off tackle runs. He's run a couple of QB sweeps with a RB as the lead blocker, too.

He is a better runner than most give him credit for, although he is not Fields or Hurts.
He is also very tough, but I cringe every time he doesn't slide.

Re: Buck, Lawrence has run a lot more by design, not just when scrambling.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:22 AM

Yes I have seen this. I am curious if they will still try to run those as often against a better opponent and limit hits on TL.

Re: Buck, Lawrence has run a lot more by design, not just when scrambling.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:26 AM

The OCs may be more selective about when they Trevor, but he'll run some, especially to extend drives on 3rd downs. He has run for at least 35 yards on single plays a couple of times this year.

He is also a goal line threat, even when we have the Fridge package with an O-lineman at tailback and 3 defensive linemen at FB and 2 extra to get ends.

Dec 9, 2019, 8:04 AM

We’re gonna xxxx em so good.... they get the Oface

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I think this could be the best game of the entire season.

Dec 9, 2019, 8:09 AM

Wisconsin had you all on the ropes, and I was actually starting to think UGA was going to make it in as a two loss team.

Re: I think this could be the best game of the entire season.

Dec 9, 2019, 8:19 AM

That was the first time we had really faced any adversity. They came out with a good game plan and with playing a team a second time some guys may have not taken them as seriously. But going on a 27-0 run in the second half was impressive and a credit to adjustments by our coaches. UGA was so overrated all year I have no idea how they were even in the discussion for the fourth spot.

Hunter Renfrow broken rib story was a ruse...

Dec 9, 2019, 8:17 AM

...he wanted another natty so expect to see him in the slot. If Renfrow goes down we have a secret weapon for the slot position. Will Swinney...oh crap, not a secret now.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hunter Renfrow broken rib story was a ruse...

Dec 9, 2019, 8:22 AM

Renfrow was the guy who felt like he was in school forever. He has been pretty solid in his first NFL season too. He probably still gives Nick Saban nightmares.

Venables has done an incredible job this

Dec 9, 2019, 8:52 AM

year, but our d line struggles to get a pass rush at times. We have had to blitz to get pressure consistently. That could be an issue. We'll prioritize taking away Dobbins. I'm guessing we'll go back to some 4 man fronts. I also think our team speed, particularly on Offense will be a shock to your players system, at least initially. Penn St, Mich, and Wisconsin MAY be better than the second best team in ACC. Even though they had poor/mediocre years, A&M and Fsu has better athletes/speed than any of those teams so we've at least seen high end speed, even if they were poorly coached.

But, like most games at this level, it's going to come down to turnovers and the trenches. Hopefully we can keep Young from causing too much havoc. I'm praying it doesn't come down to FG kicking.

Re: Venables has done an incredible job this

Dec 9, 2019, 11:58 AM

I don't really see team speed being a shock to our team. We are the number 2 team talent based on recruiting rankings behind Alabama (according to 247). Our team isn't really a Big ten team we are built more like an SEC team. We only start 5 players from Ohio with 4 being lineman. The team speed I don't believe is really a difference. The only player on your offense with game breaking speed that plays regularly is ETN. Justyn is fast but he isn't like a henry ruggs speed wise where speed is how he wins. Tee is a great receiver but he isnt a speed receiver he is a big bodied receiver who excels at high pointing the ball.

I agree that turnovers and the trenches will determine the game. I hate kickers so lets avoid that.

Dec 9, 2019, 10:27 AM

Fields is am amazing player but how do you see him handling BVs blitz packages and all the different looks we will give him? Have y'all faced a d that gets as creative as we do?

Dec 9, 2019, 11:44 AM

While I do not think we have faced a defense as good and disguised as yours, we have faced some good defenses with creative coverages. We have faced 5 top 25 ranked defenses a total of 6 times (Wisco twice) so Justin has faced several different strong defenses. But BV will without a doubt throw stuff at him he has not seen. To counter this, we usually get lined up with 20 seconds minimum on the play clock and Justin will then clap once and the whole offense will look over to the sidelines where Day will either keep or change the call or protection based on your alignment. Fields doesn't really react to pressure he will stand in the pocket no matter the rush. Justin hasn't shown anything to make me believe he could not handle the different looks because he rarely throws into double coverage.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: X and O's discussion of Fiesta Bowl ]

Michigan is certainly well coached defensively and Don Brown loves to blitz. I think pressuring Fields is the key to stopping OSU but blitzing can put the defense in tough spots - OSU has a lot of man beaters in their tool kit and Fields is happy to escape the pocket and fling it or run.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:47 PM

Yes but Ryan Day just has his number no matter what it be. We converted a 3rd and 16 the first drive and a 2nd and 18 the third drive. We scored 6 touchdowns on our first 7 possessions that game. Blitzing Fields is a risk I believe Brent will take. But I think he will mix it up so Day can't pin in on that or Day will start throwing screens. The Day and Veneables chess match will be fun.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:08 AM

This is JMO, but your RB Dobbins will have his worst outing, and Chase Young will look average and lose millions in the NFL draft because of this one game. Fields will have his worst day too. The world is going to change for them when they face this CLEMSON team. If you haven't watched a few CLEMSON games, then you will have to just wait and watch it happen. Cover your beer as you don't want to get your tears in it.

But again, JMO.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:36 AM

Chase could tear his achilles and he wouldn't fall outside of the top 5 in the draft. Best of luck.

First off, we like to run an exotic set.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:21 AM

Seven down linemen with three more linemen at the wing on one side. Then, we run the qb toward the wing. Sometimes, the defensive coordinator recognizes this tendency, so we move one of the wing linemen to the wing on other side. That seems to keep the defense at bay. :)

AJ Dillon at Boston College is similar to Dobbins, maybe not as fast as Dobbins but a good bit bigger. I don't think the gap in speed will make JT more of an impact player than AJ was.

Justin Fields is similar to JT Barrett in size and we handled Barrett's run game. Fields may be a better down field passer. But pass D is our strength.

I think the key for you guys is Chase Young. I don't think he'll get a ton of sacks because Trevor is smart and strong in the pocket. But if he can get some constant pressure/hurries to disrupt timing, that will make the difference.

I'm thinking this will be a four quarter game with the final score for both teams in the upper-20s to mid-30s.

But heck, I work at a non-profit so what do I know!?

Re: First off, we like to run an exotic set.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:35 AM

Dillion is not close to dobbins. JK is real height 5'7" 210 pounds. AJ dillon is 6'0" and 250 pounds. AJ doesn't have the speed or agility JK has. They are different backs with AJ being more of a power runner whose strength is breaking tackles whereas JK, while also being good at breaking tackles, is more of a space back who excels at making people miss in the open field.

JT Barrett is nowhere close to Justin. Justin is a speed runner (time at 4.42 laser in the spring) so likely a 4.5 flat guy. JT was a power runner and really wasnt fast. Justin is a little taller than JT. Justin is a way better passer. He won the elite 11 over TL in high school and depending on the recruiting site was 1st or 2nd overall prospect two years ago (some sites had TL higher some had Justin higher). He can make every throw on the field. TL and Justin are likely to go first and second overall in next years draft.

Chase is great but with how teams focus on him it will depend on how our others guys step up. TL is great and will poise a strong challenge for us. I also believe it will be high scoring.

I have been seeing a lot of this on this site but I would not try to compare our current roster to the 2016 roster. We have different players and a completely different coaching staff outside of 2 assistants.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:55 AM

Dobbins is more akin to ETN. But much more of a power back than ETN.

Most interesting stat between the two (besides JK @ 7ypc and ETN at 8YPC0. JK has "only' 5.6ypc in the first quarter, ETN is 8.3.

However, his stats have dropped from 7+ yards per carry in Sept/Oct to just over 5 in Nov/Dec. ETN has increase for just under 5ypc in Sept to over 9 since October.

TL vs JF. JF is great but TL is completely on a different level. TL's ceiling is much higher.

Dec 9, 2019, 12:04 PM

Yes Ettiene is a way better comp to JK than Dillon. ETN has a different level burst than JK but JK is better at breaking tackles and better in between the tackles. Both phenomenal players. Jk has maintained above a 5 ypc while facing three top 25 rush defenses and justin being hurt so they really could just key on him. All three back to back to back. He had over 30 carries in each game.

TL is on a level above Justin currently since he has more experience, but I don't know agree that his ceiling is much higher I think they are right around the same level. Both can make any throw and Justin is a better athlete. Justin has less experience but he has every tool you could want.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:57 PM

TL16 is on a different level of DW4. Yes. Think on that. Fields, if he develops *might* be as good as DW4 but DW4 was a genius at reading coverage/defense and had "it". JF is still a newbie.

The only "great" rushing defense was Ped State and they struggled with Pitt. I won't put Michigan as a great rushing defense. Mich St was good but it is different when the team has a good D and O (ask Miami). Wisc is well coached, but again suffers from a speed/talent difference. What you have again, it is a different approach whereby OSU leans on being the faster team in the B10. How will OSU play when they do not have that advantage and have to play as the slower team.

Still, comparatively Clemson is still 9th from a rushing defense and given up fewer rushing touchdowns that OSU. We are not a large D stuffing it up so that comes from speed and coaching.

And this is Dobbin's issue. He is 4th in carries, 3rd in yards. ETN is 49th in carries, 6th in yards. Dobbins has 100 more carries than ETN. You could see his mileage taking a hit. It might be the best thing for OSU to have the weeks off before playing us. Clemson ranks 10th in rushing to OSU's 5th. But is only 300 yards behind with almost 100 fewer carries. Clemson is a much better rushing team that does it less. OSU uses Dobbins to take the pressure off Fields, make Ds stack the box. It is the opposite with Clemson. Realistically, most Ds try and take the passing game away and then ETN is the dagger. My guess BV is going to give you some running (see last year's bama) but he will not give you the opportunity to toss it over him. Keep in mind that Tua only tossed one INT before playing Clemson.

Dec 9, 2019, 2:17 PM

By struggled with Pitt, you mean by giving up ten points. Their offense couldn't move the ball early in the year until their new qb got some legs under him. Penn state only gave up 27 yards rushing to Pitt as opposed to 350 in the air. Wisconsin's front seven is very good most years especially this year. Where they fall short is a game breaking receiver which they never have been able to find one. I do not believe we are the slower team rather that we are finally playing someone just as fast.

Dobbins mileage did not really effect him over these 3 games as he got stronger as the game went on. I do not think you are a better rushing team. You have also only faced 3 top 50 rushing defenses whereas we have faced 8 top 50 rushing defenses with 4 being higher ranked than any you have faced. Also, Tua had 4 interceptions before the clemson game last year finishing with a total of 6 on the season. Yes we run the ball to set up play action and you use it more to mix up your play calling both can be true and both can be successful. Your rushing defense will be the toughest test we have faced no doubt but we will also be yours by a quite a large margin.

Is this TNet? Am I really on TNet?

Dec 9, 2019, 12:41 PM

Nice job Buck1 getting some meaningful discussion on the Tnets.

I don't know what will happen but it will be fun to watch...finally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this TNet? Am I really on TNet?

Dec 9, 2019, 1:58 PM

Best of luck hope you gained something from these posts.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:25 PM

Our Dline is kind of our weakness, but has the talent to possible have a great game. They dont get much pressure on the QB. We get creative to bring the pressure. You can run on them too. We use or LBs and secondary to help out a lot vs the run. Our place kicker is sketchy when close. He is better from far. Our punter is just ok. Other than that I dont see any weakness. We have a great team. I dont think this year there is any perfect team in the playoff.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:57 PM

Our weakness on defense is two of our linebackers #32 and #20. On offense we are a power run team with a nearly 50-50 pass to rush yardage balance. Our weakness on offense are the offensive tackles. All of our special teamers are multiple year starters. Our kicker is decent has a big leg but really hasn't kicked much going 10 for 12 on the season on field goal attempts. Our punter was great last year but this year has been just average granted he hasn't punted as much this year (40 punts this year vs 61 last year). Every team has it's weaknesses but this year more than most to have three undefeated conference champs who dominated most every one in their path has been different.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:25 PM

Welcome Buck1,
I feel like both these teams will go strength on strength against each other. I expect a 4th quarter game.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:51 PM

I agree I feel like we are pretty similar teams and the team that executes the best will win.

Both teams have had an incredible year - GOOD LUCK

Dec 9, 2019, 2:34 PM

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Both teams have had an incredible year - GOOD LUCK

Dec 9, 2019, 3:43 PM

Good luck to you as well. Whoever wins better beat LSU in the natty.

Dec 9, 2019, 4:37 PM

Welcome buck1 and thanks for good info and staying true to no trash talking. Hope you got something out of the discussion as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 101
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic