Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate

Jun 11, 2020, 8:40 AM

https://twitter.com/RBMorningstar/status/1271056047306756097

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate

Jun 11, 2020, 8:48 AM

Wasn’t Watson a 4.0 student? I’m totally against any of this crap because it’s all appeasement to a crowd that will not stop, but if they are going to do it I’d name it after a Watson as a gesture to unite everyone under the condition they leave Tillman alone since most people (I graduated over 20 years ago) identity with the Physical building and as that name just like Kleenex.

The physical building will still be there with a new name

Jun 11, 2020, 8:56 AM

It's not being torn down.

The physical building will still be there with the same name

Jun 11, 2020, 11:21 AM

HTH.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

To what end?

Jun 11, 2020, 1:26 PM

Does it really upset you that much?

Just stating facts***

Jun 11, 2020, 5:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Tillman will not be renamed. The Honors college more

Jun 11, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate ]

likely as the notice title suggests.
Remember there was a compromise struck when the flag was taken from atop the dome. Building name changes will have to be voted on in Columbia with a 2/3 majority to act. Calhoun Honors is not a building or a monument is it, but rather just a name of a program for honor students, right?

Re: No, Tillman will not be renamed. The Honors college more

Jun 11, 2020, 9:45 AM

That compromise was broken shortly after passing. The flag was supposed to stay at the monument until Nik Haley screwed that up. So that flag sits at the SC museum in Columbia in a box. So even compromises with the aggrieved side don't hold water. Keep that in mind folks.

Jun 11, 2020, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate ]

I may be wrong but feel free to correct me if I am
I believe that Steve Fuller was a Rhoads Scholar,
was he? If so name it after him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rhodes Scholarship candidate

Jun 11, 2020, 11:20 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-01-03-8601030258-story.html

And when will that scholarship be renamed? Cecil Rhodes might be the worst racist in history.

Jun 11, 2020, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate ]

Old Main doesn’t need someone’s name on it. The Honors College doesn’t need someone’s name on it.

It would be more historically accurate to name everything after it’s function like they did originally: Mechanical Hall, Agricultural Hall, etc.

If we start looking to put new peoples names on everything it will be a fiasco.

Jun 11, 2020, 8:58 AM

There is no campus climate issue at Clemson until professors started spewing to students that there is one.

All I have ever heard from former players, especially since Dabo has been there, is that Clemson was the best 4 year experience of their lives. There is no issue on campus until some liberal tells them there is and some buy into it. How did they not see it during the 3-4 best years of their life while there?

Jun 11, 2020, 8:59 AM

There is no campus climate issue at Clemson until professors started spewing to students that there is one.

All I have ever heard from former players, especially since Dabo has been there, is that Clemson was the best 4 year experience of their lives. There is no issue on campus until some liberal tells them there is and some buy into it. How did they not see it during the 3-4 best years of their life while there?

Jun 11, 2020, 9:00 AM

All this BS starts at the universities. Lib POS professors that can’t cope and make it in the real world so spreading their propaganda back on campuses. They have no people skills, no coping skills, no survival skills so have to play victim over and over again.

Jun 11, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Board of Trustees to meet about Honors College, Campus climate ]

IDK, my profs were libertarians. Then again, most profs don't fall into the segmented media cycle like the left/right.

Jun 11, 2020, 8:59 AM

Here we go.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 9:25 AM

I get the argument of where does it stop, and what is the standard for renaming anything. With that said, I personally am fine with renaming the honors college and Tillman hall. It doesn't hurt my feelings, and those names have nothing to do with why I went to Clemson, or why I love my university now (i.e., they aren't emblematic of current Clemson culture). My degree doesn't say Calhoun or Tillman on it. I'm sure some people have a personal relationship with the decedents of the Calhoun and Tillman families, and rightly acknowledge the positive impact they had. I also don't deny that seeing/hearing those names on a daily basis bothers a significant part of the Clemson student and alumni base. I have no issue with THESE SPECIFIC (edit) name changes (currently being petitioned).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that such a reasonable and well-thought-out post

Jun 11, 2020, 5:31 PM

could receive a TD is why this board is so embarrassing.

Will they tear down Fort Hill, or just relocate it?

Jun 11, 2020, 9:36 AM

Have they decided what they’re going to rename the university?

Jun 11, 2020, 9:50 AM

Great. Hope the can get the names removed before the students return and avoid a campus wide spectacle. Football can start and benefactors can rest in peace

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 9:50 AM

Great. Hope the can get the names removed before the students return and avoid a campus wide spectacle. Football can start and benefactors can rest in peace

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic