Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Political commentary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Political commentary

Oct 4, 2020, 10:28 AM

Many of the posts on here this morning are the very reason that making sports political is a very very bad idea. Do the players have a right to voice their opinion, absolutely. However, doing so during a sporting event alienates a large portion of the very people who make it possible for them to play while getting a free education. People don’t tune into Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity to get their sports and people don’t tune into sports to get their politics. Sports used to be a something that unified people. Folks from different political parties, economic status, race, religions etc. could come together, if even for a few hours, in a common cause. Now even that respite has been taken away. Everything and I mean everything in life is political. This is not healthy for a country that depends on its citizens finding common ground on some of the very basic tenants of our Union.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between

Oct 4, 2020, 10:34 AM

messages of love, unity, and support that have ZERO to do with those causing the trouble in the streets. All these players want change for less racism. What’s wrong with that? Just because they may not side with your political stance you want to throw their positive message under the bus? It’s incredibly immature.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between

Oct 4, 2020, 10:45 AM

You’re missing the point. Those “names” were, in this current climate, political statements and code for other themes.

Only in the minds of the paranoid right.***

Oct 4, 2020, 11:00 AM

Re: Only in the minds of the paranoid right.***

Oct 4, 2020, 11:05 AM

I’m not paranoid and I didn’t express an opinion on my politics. I’m just saying making sports political is a bad idea. I don’t want “blue lives matter” or “USA” or any right wing “statement” on the back of jerseys either.

Suggesting love, equity, togetherness are all liberal ideas?

Oct 4, 2020, 2:34 PM

Interesting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suggesting love, equity, togetherness are all liberal ideas?

Oct 4, 2020, 4:18 PM

Blue lives matter or USA are right wing ideas? Interesting?

Oct 4, 2020, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Only in the minds of the paranoid right.*** ]

And yet you sound threatening when speaking of taking your money and going home. Bye.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Only in the minds of the paranoid right.*** ]

The words on the jerseys didn't bother me as a conservative, non Trump liker, but Trump voter as I don't support the Democratic Party policy platform. It was totally nonoffensive, but I don't see that it accomplishes much as far as moving the needle towards less racism. To me it was sort of like TSA, makes people feel like something is getting done which perhaps it is at the margins. I wonder why some players chose not to participate including Trevor. Not a problem for me personally. Stay tuned for what's to come?

Oct 4, 2020, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Only in the minds of the paranoid right.*** ]

Because only the right can be divisive, paranoid or immature.

Says the guy with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The word racism as well as all the other terms that are on

Oct 6, 2020, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Only in the minds of the paranoid right.*** ]

the uniforms are be reappropriated. They are coming up with new definitions that are overall evil and about the overthrow of life as we know it. Since outcomes for everyone in life are not equal, there must be systems in place, racism, that is holding others down. These ideas are being taught in schools and the end goal is overthrow of capitalism.

Here is someone who is not a conservative who is also very concerned about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSHL-rSMIro&t=1733s

This is not just some right wing conspiracy theory.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

Dan,

Please tell us the codes for LOVE PEACE EQUALITY TOGETHER JUSTICE

Oct 4, 2020, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

Or as the looney left says , a dog whistle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would LOVE for you to share...

Oct 4, 2020, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

The codes you reference, so I can be on the lookout for the themes.

LOVE = What theme?

EQUALITY = What theme?

PEACE = What theme?

Interested to know what I am supposed to be looking for based on this post of yours.

all are bumper stickers likely found on back of a Prius

Oct 6, 2020, 8:46 AM

or VW bus.

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-study-reveals-humanity-just-one-coexist-bumper-sticker-away-from-world-peace

That is complete BS. When you think these

Oct 4, 2020, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

simplified positive expressions are “code” you have a problem.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

You’re missing the point. Those “names” were, in this current climate, political statements and code for other themes.

You are missing the point. It is in "your" mind and your "code" and your conspiracy theories and you are interjecting politics into it.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

Have you read the goals of the BLM organization on its website?

Its not about less racism, its about more racism towards white people. Stop being obtuse.

Mobs of Leftists forcing people sitting in restaurants to raise their fists and shout "Blacks lives matter!" at the threat of being beat or having their business burned is not showing love, equality and unity.

The players are being sucked into a bigger political situation then they are aware. Nice words that we all agree on isnt the point of these Marxists community organizers facilitating all of this...revolution against this country in every area of society is.

What the players do on their own time is up to them, and I dont fault Coach Swinney, but the President of the University should never have allowed this to start. He and the University Board are being either complicit with the goals of the Marxist BLM organizers or they are very naive to the absolute dangers this organization presents cause it isnt about less racism.

You are funny...

Oct 4, 2020, 4:02 PM

Your post makes me laugh.

So, you are saying that the Clemson University administration, Athletic Department leadership & Dabo and coaching staff have been infiltrated by BLM?

Well, obviously the University supported it or it wouldn't have taken place last night. But if I diagram your argument and logic...

LOVE/EQUALITY/PEACE/ = BLM = more racism = MARXIST = Revolution

Is that correct?

When you diagram your argument...it looks pretty silly to me.

Oct 5, 2020, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

You are being obtuse. Who mentioned BLM? Or are you saying you belive that words like unity together peace and love as well as justice are to be associated with BLM only? You do realize that the statement black lives matter dont necessarily equate the backing of an organization? Quit reading your crazed political fringe material

Oct 6, 2020, 10:23 AM

I have no dog in the fight, but I'm gonna leave this hear for people to see:
https://twitter.com/Jackthejiant/status/1312855619968348160?s=20

Oct 5, 2020, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

clempson93 said:

Have you read the goals of the BLM organization on its website?

Its not about less racism, its about more racism towards white people. Stop being obtuse.

Mobs of Leftists forcing people sitting in restaurants to raise their fists and shout "Blacks lives matter!" at the threat of being beat or having their business burned is not showing love, equality and unity.

The players are being sucked into a bigger political situation then they are aware. Nice words that we all agree on isnt the point of these Marxists community organizers facilitating all of this...revolution against this country in every area of society is.

What the players do on their own time is up to them, and I dont fault Coach Swinney, but the President of the University should never have allowed this to start. He and the University Board are being either complicit with the goals of the Marxist BLM organizers or they are very naive to the absolute dangers this organization presents cause it isnt about less racism.

How the #### did you bring "BLM" into this? The so-called organization and your exaggeration of it has nothing to do with Clemson. That's way beyond obtuse - it is twisted.

Oct 4, 2020, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

You are totally clueless if you do not realize these players were taking a purely political stance with the words they had on the back of their jerseys......that is the only reason they were wearing them and it had nothing to do with the actual meaning of the words they were using ....these players are only out there to play football and should not preach to me what I should think or what my political views should be......Dabo crossed that political line by allowing this to happen......Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 4, 2020, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

It blows my mind that supposedly highly educated people can't see that no one is oppressed based on their skin color there fore there is no need for the justice and equality and enough bs on the uniforms. I have zero problem with peace love and unity but none of it should be on the uniform or in the game itself. Do that #### on your own time and money.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson football team did it...

Oct 4, 2020, 4:03 PM

last night on their own time and money. So, what is your point?

Re: The Clemson football team did it...

Oct 4, 2020, 10:54 PM

They did it on MY time and MY money through IPTAY donations just like other thousands of Clemson graduates and fans......for the first time in 40 years I watched the game last night for only a few minutes until I saw what was going on with all their political BS and then turned it off.......as for as the money to IPTAY they better be dang glad I mailed my donation in several weeks ago because it will be a long long time before they get anymore $$$ out of me......when the $$$ stop coming in maybe they will finally figure out politics and sports don’t mix.....but I am done with them.....Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 5, 2020, 11:53 AM

b2westfarm said:

They did it on MY time and MY money through IPTAY donations just like other thousands of Clemson graduates and fans......for the first time in 40 years I watched the game last night for only a few minutes until I saw what was going on with all their political BS and then turned it off.......as for as the money to IPTAY they better be dang glad I mailed my donation in several weeks ago because it will be a long long time before they get anymore $$$ out of me......when the $$$ stop coming in maybe they will finally figure out politics and sports don’t mix.....but I am done with them.....Go Tigers!!!!

Good riddance and when are you leaving Tigernet?

Oct 5, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: The Clemson football team did it... ]

Those are young people being given a right to be positive with what's going on in our world/country, and they are doing what they believe is the right thing to do!!! I think that all will agree that it teaches the right things to do when our country has issues that need to be fixed, and it's better than rioting in the streets, and burning property that someone has worked a lifetime to have, and own... Usually when you have taught/learned the right way to deal with unsavory issues when you're young, you remember it throughout your whole life, and this thing with the jersey's is a teaching moment for those guys of the right way to do things. Even if I don't like seeing on their jersey, it's the right thing to teach them!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: The Clemson football team did it... ]

Then that is your personal problem. In America, you pretty much have the right to do what you want, within the law, because veterans like me have helped to keep that in America. So whether you lean right or left or moderate like me (Republican moderate), in this case you have the option to stop giving IPTAY money and stop going to the games if you don't like what you see.

Then do it.

Ok, Karen***

Oct 6, 2020, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: The Clemson football team did it... ]

Oct 6, 2020, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: The Clemson football team did it... ]

Thank you for reminding me to up my donation

Oct 4, 2020, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

That first sentence is not a double, but a triple negative. If you had used one more no/not, you could have had the negative homerun.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 4, 2020, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

It blows my mind that supposedly highly educated people can't see that no one is oppressed based on their skin color there fore there is no need for the justice and equality and enough bs on the uniforms. I have zero problem with peace love and unity but none of it should be on the uniform or in the game itself. Do that #### on your own time and money.

Niave, short sighted perspective (trollin?) ****

Oct 5, 2020, 4:54 AM [ in reply to Blows my mind that adults can’t tell the difference between ]

Re: Political commentary

Oct 4, 2020, 11:06 AM

I loved the words on there jerseys last night and they have that right. Dabo and team also came out wit a wonderful video about doing what is right for all. Yes this site, Tiger Net , should not be political but you initiated it so you opinion is okay ?. Yes those of us that make this possible do watch Rachel Maddow etc! We do believe in informative minds . So let’s stop this and stick to football!

Oct 4, 2020, 11:09 AM

“So let’s stop this and stick to football”. Exactly what I’m saying.

Oct 4, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

I think your last line was exactly what the person who started this thread was saying. So, appears that you agree with what he was saying. Let's just play football? Nothing political there, just play football. I just want one day of the week where I can take a break from all the "stuff" we now must deal with.....just one day a week....for 3 months...so 12-14 days out of 365 days of the year. This gives 351-353 days where people can stand up for all their causes and BS.

Dabo gave the team the right to change their uniform and

Oct 4, 2020, 12:14 PM

remove their name to replace it with a political social justice statement. They are exercising their right. I don't think there is another team in the nation that has the same rights to change their jerseys to make a political statement. If you don't believe that social justice statements are political, then you aren't paying attention.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

It is not their right when they are playing football just like it's not my right when I go to work. The problem with people is that they think everything is their right. Your rights end where another person's rights begin.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:11 PM

Apparently some of you are forcing yourselves into an unfortunate choice. You either have to turn off Fox News, or Quit watching Clemson football. To me this is a no brainer...

Choose wisely.

Oct 4, 2020, 12:24 PM

I just wish there was only one of each on O and D. I gets the confused!

Oct 4, 2020, 12:36 PM

The Navy/Air Force game the players had the same type of message on the jerseys. The NCAA needs to rethink and stop the nonsense. To me it was distracting as I always look for the players names on the jersey. Now I guess I will need to download the roster to keep names straight. College sports is really not the place to do the political garbage. Noticed Lawrence didn't replace his name along with a few others. Guess they were making a statement of their on and not being political.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2020, 3:17 PM

That is why Trevor is a good leader. He said that he is just supporting his teammates. However just because he supports them and loves them doesn't mean he has to agree with them or vice versa. Big difference in my opinion

So your issue is not...

Oct 4, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

The words on the jerseys, but that you were confused by who was who in the game. Is that correct?

Oct 4, 2020, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

While I love Clemson and our team, if I was given a choice of our country or supporting the Tigers, my country does come first. Not sure if that was what you meant. Also not sure what Fox News has to do with this. I am not saying someone shouldn't have beliefs or even express their beliefs. I think we give a full ride scholarship to football players to do one thing.....play football. Maybe I am missed where we are giving football scholarships out to give people a platform....if so....I don't know when that changed. I happen to believe that when an individual is given an opportunity to advance themselves free of charge either academically or positioning themselves for a large payday at the next level, they should focus on why they were given that opportunity.....to play football. I just don't see the inequality in college football in today's world. Were there issues back in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and maybe the 80's? For sure, but today....I don't see the inequality in the sports arena. If there is, please enlighten me.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:21 PM

clemgrad85 said:

I think we give a full ride scholarship to football players to do one thing.....play football.

That has NEVER been Dabo's claim. He has repeated said that he is there to make men,brother, fathers and that they are ANYTHING but football players. If you continue to hold that belief, you are going to become very disillusioned with Clemson Football under Dabo Swinney. As many, here, are begging to learn.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:22 PM

not begging but beginning.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:39 PM

Dabo was in my opinion unfairly backed into a corner over stating his thoughts on BLM. Dabo knows BLM is an anti American. , antichristian, Marxist group. But to state that fact would have thrown red meat to the media wolves and recruiting would have suffered. So, now he and the team are trying to present a more positive nesssge without denouncing the evil of BLM. For the adult Dabo it’s called straddling the fence. Don’t think for a second that the uniform messages and the political culture are not intertwined.

Oct 5, 2020, 12:20 PM

Tardog said:

Dabo was in my opinion unfairly backed into a corner over stating his thoughts on BLM. Dabo knows BLM is an anti American. , antichristian, Marxist group. But to state that fact would have thrown red meat to the media wolves and recruiting would have suffered. So, now he and the team are trying to present a more positive nesssge without denouncing the evil of BLM. For the adult Dabo it’s called straddling the fence. Don’t think for a second that the uniform messages and the political culture are not intertwined.

I think you are reaching and maybe reflecting what you think of and believe when you see BLM. When I see and hear BLM I think of the words, statement and thought that black lives matter, and not the organization that the conspiracy theorist, faux news people talk about. The two meanings are totally different and not the same. It is important we separate the two and know what the context is.

Oct 5, 2020, 2:02 PM

Both imply that the country is systematically racist today. Which is simply not true and is poisonous when preached to young impressionable minds. The organization and simple statement push a false narrative- that is to suggest that significant portions of the population and certain government institutions don’t think black lives matter, which is simply nonsense. The individual incidents that triggered recent protest events have had no evidence of any racial component (And if they are found to have, our system should hold individuals accountable). A political incentive has pushed the media and a major political party to misrepresent anecdotal tragedies as symptoms of some greater evil that is simply a lie in 2020.

I agree that these words on jerseys alone are unoffensive and noble when considered in a vacuum. But, with the context of an all effort to paint this country as an evil racist dystopia during an election year, its naive to not see them for the virtue signaling for political gain they actually represent. As I’ve said before, I don’t hold it against these players as they are young and have been duped into a faux civil rights movement, but disappointed in the administration for letting it corrupt gameday.

Im not threatening to boycott my Tigers and will continue to watch and support them. I just wish everyone was a little less naive about the real reasons behind this recent movement and a little more appreciative of this amazing country we get to live in and the unparalleled opportunities it provides all of us- white, black, or green, this is the truth and any subjective analysis will draw this same conclusion.

Oct 4, 2020, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

Not at all.....if the primary reason to recruit them isn't to come play football, then what is that primary reason? Are you saying that we forget their athletic ability and just focus on who Dabo can make better "men, brothers, fathers"? That is silly. Now, once they arrive at Clemson to pursue football and hopefully their academics, then I applaud Dabo trying to make these men the best they can be. My point, we bring them to Clemson to play football, NOT to give them a platform. If you are disagreeing with me, then you are saying the main purpose of recruiting these youngsters is to give them a platform to express their social beliefs. Also, you conveniently left out where I mentioned they were also getting a free opportunity for academics (up to them as to whether they take advantage of that opportunity). So, to be clear, they are supposedly coming to Clemson to play football and for academics.

Oct 6, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

Now there is a jump. Nay a leap. When did it become clemson football or country? Holy smokes people need to back away from the edge

Oct 5, 2020, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

Apparently some of you are forcing yourselves into an unfortunate choice. You either have to turn off Fox News, or Quit watching Clemson football. To me this is a no brainer...

Choose wisely.

Maybe the funniest post I’ve ever read on this site.

Oct 5, 2020, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Political commentary ]

Choose wisely.

Maybe the funniest post I’ve ever read on this site.

Oct 4, 2020, 11:25 PM

And so go and take your money with you. My money will stay at Clemson. Make your choice and leave.

Oct 5, 2020, 2:42 AM

My concern is will it stop there? Most of the the time when you give an inch many outside sources encourage these kids to ask for a mile.

This time it’s live, unity, peace. What will they want to put on their jersey next?

If it would stop there I would have no problem with it. But will it?

Personally I enjoyed sports before politics became a such a big part.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 9:22 AM

It seems that making no statement will anger one group of people, and making any statement will anger another group of people, and making certain statements angers a whole other set of people... Personally, I think Clemson Football has handled it very well. "Peace," "Love," "Unity," "Together," etc. are all ideas everyone can get behind.
That being said, it always seems like every team that decides to make a statement seems to lose focus on the actual game. Perhaps it's anecdotal, but it seems to me like the team looked a bit off on Saturday night. I wonder if it had anything to do with having to choose a word to put on the back of your jersey, or, having to make the choice to keep your last name on the back of your jersey, and worrying about what others will think of your choice?

hopefully you don't think that all this division in sports

Oct 5, 2020, 2:22 PM

is by chance. Any and everything that draws eyes whether it be a tv show, sporting event, etc. will be in some way politicized. Bc it works. And if it blows up then in their eyes "great", it makes the case more for someone "fix" or "manage" the situation. This is what socialism is. You play by their rules or you get eliminated. If the NFL or Dabo,etc ever came out and railed against the golden goose of "mandated selective tolerance" then they would be protested, boycotted, or ran out of the industry.

Its working now bc the college age and gen-z crowd have bought it and are carrying out their manufactured outrage. When "Home of the Free and Land of the Brave" is no longer taught in school and instead we push "F*@# the Police" and that white men are evil then your kids only know what they've been told. Our schools have been used to up-end this country and i'm not sure its reversible.

Oct 5, 2020, 2:30 PM

I come on here to troll, not read about political issues. Stay on the sports topic.

The "problem," IMO

Oct 6, 2020, 10:49 AM

is that the advent of social media and the 24-hour news cycle has convinced the world that every point requires a counter-point. But that's not true. We can simply choose to be empathic.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic