Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format

Dec 5, 2018, 12:21 PM

If they do this, how long before the ACC makes the change?

https://thespun.com/news/the-big-ten-will-discuss-making-a-major-change-to-its-conference-title-game

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format

Dec 5, 2018, 12:26 PM

maybe they should look at re-aligning their divisions

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 12:44 PM

My playoff plan is 16 teams, 10 division winners and 6 at large to include nonP5 deserving teams, and the entitled (ND and Bama when they don't win the conference. Realign the divisions every 3-5 years. Eliminate 1 regular season game , no FCS games. If the playoffs generate enough $ cut the FCS in or allow a 1st week scrimmage game with FCS schools that don't count.

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine is 10 teams

Dec 5, 2018, 12:54 PM

Conference champ from each conference

1st Rd is the conference champ games. Each conference puts it's 2 best team in the conference champ Game. I dunt care how they pick the best 2. Gets it down from 20 tearms to 10.

The winner represents that conference in the playoffs. No fuss, no muss, no coconuts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 5, 2018, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format ]

Absolutely not. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the current format, it ensures the top 2 teams in the country get in. Usually that means deciding between 3 teams, so you have to include a 4th team due to simple math. Now people are so concerned about that 4th team and want to expand the playoffs as a result when the sole purpose was just to ensure the top 2 teams get in.

It's interesting to note

Dec 5, 2018, 1:15 PM

That in this system the #1 ranked team has never won, and the winners are evenly split between #2 and #4.

That lends credence to the importance of determining/debating who is #4.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm fine with debating #4

Dec 5, 2018, 1:16 PM

It's when people want to start debating #6, #8, or even #16 in some people's "expansion".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Which is part of my reason for arguing for an 8 team bracket

Dec 5, 2018, 1:24 PM

That way there is no argument about earning your way in. You're given a path, win your conference and your in (for P5 teams). I'd also split P5 and non-P5 (or expand P5 by a conference) and send the non top=tier conferences to their own subdivision where they are play for their own title.

It makes little to no sense to play in a subdivision of football where you can go undefeated and not win it (see UCF 2 years in a row).

But back to the main point, if you have a "win your conference and your in" style tournament then folks can cry and moan about not getting one of the 1 or 2 wildcard bids, but who cares cause they didn't win their conference. They had a chance. They stacked their conference and got beat out by a better team.

But it's odd to me that we say with such confidence that OK should be in by OHST should be out with equal records and both being conference champions. I get it by the eye test, but I'd just like the system better if it had as little opinion driving it as possible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which is part of my reason for arguing for an 8 team bracket

Dec 5, 2018, 1:45 PM

Would Pitt or Northwestern really have deserved to be in the playoffs if they pulled the miracle upsets last week?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Well, "deserve" is an opinion

Dec 5, 2018, 1:48 PM

They would have accomplished the criteria that Clemson and OhSt couldn't in that situation. I honestly can live with teams getting in that don't pass the majority of people's opinion-based eye test. I'd much prefer that over basing the whole thing on who we think is better.

Re: Well, "deserve" is an opinion

Dec 5, 2018, 2:00 PM

Nothing wrong with a group of people picking who they think is better . They own it, they can do what they want as long as it makes money. Whining about fairness and deserving is a fantasy. It's all about money, especially after regular season is over. If don't like, if you're offended by it, then don't support it.

And if we're going to ask 18-22 years old students to play more games at this level of competition for our enjoyment, and sense of fairness, then you better believe they're going to end up getting paid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they are already getting paid

Dec 5, 2018, 2:09 PM

And in the near future they will be getting paid more, whether we expand the season or not.

The single game expansion I propose will have no baring on that.

With that said my proposal/idea is one which would decrease the whining about fairness as it would simply be an win-and-your-in system. You'll also note I've said I know its not going to happen. The move to mega-conferences and the money it brought in (along with the 12th regular season game) has shown the path forward.

I'm not whining about where we are. I would just rather it be different, and am discussing it here.

Depends on the system..

Dec 5, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Which is part of my reason for arguing for an 8 team bracket ]

If the playoffs were only for conference champs who played in a conference champ game, then yes.

By all means, rock on Northwestern Panthers. Good luck in the playoffs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No! and neither does the #16 team in the country IMO.......

Dec 5, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Which is part of my reason for arguing for an 8 team bracket ]

Personally i like the 4 team playoff. First thing you have to do is eliminate championship games completely. 80% of them just hurt teams.

last year wisconsin was "IN" until they played OSU (while bama sat at home)
this year UGA was "IN" until they played bama (while ND sat at home)

I'm of the mindset that teams that are "IN" prior to the championship games just DON'T PLAY in the game..........what's the point when all it's gonna do is put you out??? (unless you're bama)....take it another step, why risk injury when you're already "IN"????

" debating " that is the root cause***

Dec 5, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to I'm fine with debating #4 ]

The bcs did that for a decade, the polls did that

Dec 5, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format ]

Before hand. Some 1 has always decided who the best team was.

Why have 4?

Btw, please tell me which 3 teams were head and heals better than any1 else the last 5 years, especially last year.

So this year, you'd have put Pitt, Northwestern,

Dec 5, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Big10 discussing changing their conference champ game format ]

and Utah in the playoff?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

To be fair

Dec 5, 2018, 1:18 PM

Is it that much crazier that had they beat the presumptive conference favorite (as all had the chance, but evidently not the ability to do), that they'd be given the chance to move forward a game. Really his system is just calling the conference championship game a part of the playoff, and giving these division winners some more impetus to fight like heck in those championship games as it'd be survive and advance.

I like the idea of matching the two best teams,

Dec 5, 2018, 12:40 PM

regardless of division. I suggested an approach for conferences 3 weeks ago on here(see link below) as a way to have all the teams in a conference get to play each other more often but it would also help with the lopsided divisions. It will also give a better shot at not having a rematch than keeping the two divisions and still choosing the best two teams.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/ACC-and-other-conference-Schedule-Idea-24490308

I think if you are going to have two divisions with minimal crossover it is still only fair to have the division champs play because their schedules are so different. There was also some good discussion and other ideas on that post I made.

The past several years, the two

Dec 5, 2018, 12:45 PM

Best teams in the ACC were in the Atlantic division. The SEC's two best teams have typically been in the West. All conferences need to take a good long look at their process. The games need to matter, but if Clemson loses in September to FSU ('14), what's really left to play for. Championships shouldn't be decided in Week 3.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then you'd get rematches. Ugh.***

Dec 5, 2018, 1:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The big 12 discussed it 60 weeks ago

Dec 5, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to I like the idea of matching the two best teams, ]

And implemented it.

The Big 12 still doesn't need a conference Championship game

Dec 5, 2018, 1:39 PM

They only have 10 teams and play 8 conference games therefore having everyone play everyone. Their conference championship game will always be a rematch. They are always going to be left wondering whether their conference championship game helped or not. This year it may have but if Oklahoma had lost to Texas it may not have helped to have the game.

This year it did help

Dec 5, 2018, 2:29 PM

They even said it...

OU was behind uga going into last weekend, if they didn't play at all, They would still be behind uga. They said being confirm champs and avenging their 1 loss made a diffetence.

UGA rematched auburn in the sec champ game
Clemson vs vt.. it has happened, it will again..I dunno why people make it out to be a big deal.

A 13th game is a 13th game. .shouldn't matter if it is a rematch or not.

Heck, they didn't stop putting lsu and Bama in a rematch for the NC.

Btw. The champ game absolutely hurt Wisconsin last year. Not playing helped bama which is just wrong, imo. You shouldn't be REWARDED for not playing games.

Dec 5, 2018, 12:43 PM

Then why have divisions and divisional play?

The Downside of this is you may

Dec 5, 2018, 1:02 PM

have a rematch of teams who played recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Currently, are cross-divisional games always played early?

Dec 5, 2018, 1:13 PM

Unless that's true, you arleady run that risk.

What I don't like about the whole idea is that there's already enough guesswork as to who is better in football. This route adds yet another "who do we think is better" part to the equation. Its the big downside to the mega-conference trend of the last few decades.

We're past the point of changing, I'm afraid, but I'd love to go back to 9 or 10 team conferences whose members play every other team each year. A much truer conference champion emerges when you begin to remove some of the unbalanced scheduling. But again, that ship has apparently sailed.

You might also knock your playoff contender right out of

Dec 5, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to The Downside of this is you may ]

contention

It worked for the Big 12. Maybe we should. Makes sense.***

Dec 5, 2018, 1:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is how Swoford will get Notre Dame into the mix

Dec 5, 2018, 1:44 PM

The two best winning percentages will be in the ACC-CG.

I don't care how the conferences pick their

Dec 5, 2018, 4:13 PM

2 best tears for their conference champ game.

I'd rather have conference committees than a playoff committe.

You figure out which team you want to represent your conference in the playoff. Don't try to dictate all of div 1 football.

Dec 5, 2018, 1:50 PM

inb4 two hand touch?

Close, but the BEST idea is to have a single table format

Dec 5, 2018, 1:55 PM

for all conferences and eliminate conference championship games, since clearly this does not matter (other than as a tiebreaker) to the committee. Then have a 12-team playoff with the top 4 teams getting byes. That gets your UCFs and West Coast teams in. It lets butthurt UGA and OSU in. And it settles it on the field.

Conference divisions and championships are a vestige of the past and mostly an SEC thing that made sense back when that conference was loaded on both sides. Now it's our division in the ACC (Atlantic?), the SEC West, and maybe the B1G division they allude to in the article, then add your random NDs, West Coast schools, etc.

This is all a consequence of the money in football and the rich getting richer. Same as in Premier League soccer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 2:32 PM

Meh, what are we going to have, potential rubber matches in back-to-back weeks? As long as they figure out a "no rematch" policy, I am fine with whatever.

While Pitt was 'weak', they still earned their spot for a title. I am fine with divisions as long as their are regional/geographic divisions (not the coastal/Atlantic crud).

I really, REALLY don't care about the UCF. They are a decent team playing historically BAD teams. If they were holding opponents to under 10 points with their subs, I could *maybe* see them in the top 4 They need to up their quality of opponent but rather they are scheduling UNC for the OOC games. That is a joke. The can't afford to schedule SCState, FAU, and UNC with their league. So as long as the American is as weak as it is, then they can afford to play weak OOC team. of course, I hear the B12 does not actually have 12 members...

let's get a committee to vote on conference champions***

Dec 5, 2018, 3:51 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Get rid if divisions. Top two play. Play all schools every

Dec 5, 2018, 3:54 PM

2-3 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic