Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Clemson game - not football - that you've been to or
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Best Clemson game - not football - that you've been to or

Jan 24, 2019, 10:19 AM

remember from TV or something?

For me it was the 1990 Clemson-Duke basketball game where we won the ACC regular season championship. Great game! Littlejohn was packed to the gills (it had gills back then - little known fact).

Probably 2nd for me was the 1987 National Championship in men's soccer that we won at Riggs Field. Another great game and full house!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The bball game where Greg Buckner beat the tarholes in the

Jan 24, 2019, 10:24 AM

acc tournament with a last second dunk.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there in Charlotte for that. Awesome!!!***

Jan 24, 2019, 11:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there in Charlotte for that. Awesome!!!***

Jan 24, 2019, 12:56 PM

92tigergrad , The Gregg Buckner dunk against the tarholes took place in Greensboro.

I was there to, and actually had forgotten about that. lol***

Jan 24, 2019, 3:15 PM

It was opening night for the ACC Tournament and

Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I was there in Charlotte for that. Awesome!!!*** ]

(oddly enough) the Tigers were scheduled to play the number one seeded tarholes in the prime time viewing game. Everyone not in light blue was cheering for the Tigers that evening in G'boro Coliseum. It was a win in a setting I never thought I'd ever witness.......one of the greatest nights ever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was opening night for the ACC Tournament and

Jan 24, 2019, 3:42 PM

North Carolina was not the top seed in that tournament. In fact, they were the #3 seed.

Me to, it was rocking at the end.***

Jan 24, 2019, 3:15 PM [ in reply to I was there in Charlotte for that. Awesome!!!*** ]

Re: The bball game where Greg Buckner beat the tarholes in the

Jan 24, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to The bball game where Greg Buckner beat the tarholes in the ]

"Bunkker Jams! Buckner Jams!"

Re: Best Clemson game - not football - that you've been to or

Jan 24, 2019, 10:26 AM

I fully agree with you about the 1990 Duke Game .. The Fire Marshall overlooked all the fans filling everyone of the steps - the Crowd played a very important part in this win !!!

Jan 24, 2019, 11:14 AM

I don't know that the fire marshal overlooked it as much as there was nothing he could do about it! I think, at the time, Clemson students didn't need a ticket, which led to the place being past capacity. I was in Pershing Rifles and ushered after doing the color guard, so I never needed a ticket anyway, but I think that's how it worked back then.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:31 AM

The Duke basketball game at LJ

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

When I was a kid..

Jan 24, 2019, 10:39 AM

The seniors from the football team came to Rock Hill and played a basketball game against a high school team. It may have been Rock Hill, Northwestern, or an All Star team. I think it was Steve Fuller's class. Afterwards they sold pictures and autographs.

That was pretty cool.

One of my best memories was at a baseball game at WF

Jan 24, 2019, 10:43 AM

It was Kyle Parker's freshman season when he was really a HS senior. He hit three home runs that day... all before any of us ever saw him on the football field. Very Cool.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

January 1980 hoops home win over #1 Duke.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:45 AM

Best non-football in-person Clemson game for me.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2015/01/30/unforgettable-memories-still-strong-conrad-former-tigers/22618005/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lived outside Littlejohn for a day and a half

Jan 24, 2019, 11:19 AM

to get floor seats for that game. It was worth it!!!

The 1990 Duke game that is.***

Jan 24, 2019, 11:20 AM

Same here..1990 vs. Duke basketball.....we sat right

Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 AM

behind Rodney Williams.

I remember us all going crazy as the last seconds ticked away and our guards were slapping the floor at the Duke players.

Incredible atmosphere.

2006 Super Regional - Oral Roberts

Jan 24, 2019, 11:33 AM

Tyler Colvin's walkoff grand slam to seal Game 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbl4XTXl06A

Re: 2006 Super Regional - Oral Roberts

Jan 24, 2019, 1:30 PM

This one is mine.

Soccer advancing to the final four several years ago was also amazing.

Re: 2006 Super Regional - Oral Roberts

Jan 24, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to 2006 Super Regional - Oral Roberts ]

was a great moment for me i coached him in high school and was there to witness it

Beating # 1 Duke in 1980 with Billy Williams,

Jan 24, 2019, 11:48 AM

Bobby Conrad, Larry Nance. Littlejohn was packed and wild that night.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:58 AM

2008 ACC Tourney Semifinal vs Duke in Charlotte. Had seats right behind the Clemson bench about 4-5 rows up. I think it was a UNC section that year. You can see me and a fellow Tiger fan (the orange blob) behind the CU bench amongst all that baby blue. That Booker slam was AWESOME (~18:40 mark of the 2nd)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVMHaTU4Us

I'd say the 1980 Duke basketball game in Littlejohn.........

Jan 24, 2019, 12:29 PM

when Duke was ranked #1 - place was packed (set the record for the largest crowd ever in Littlejohn that night) and we beat them.

You couldn't even get up and down the steps at that

Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 PM

game.

Jan 24, 2019, 12:45 PM

Feb. 22, 1975...Clemson beat a David Thompson led and 4th ranked NC State 92 - 70 at Littlejohn. It was like the Alabama 2019 beatdown.

Jan 24, 2019, 12:48 PM

Not a win but versus #3 Virginia in Littlejohn in 1983. We were an outmanned undersized .500 team and little ole 6-6 Murray Jarman battled 7-4 Ralph Sampson. Tigers took them to overtime but lost by a basket. I wish today’s fans could experience Littlejohn back in the days of the original ACC plus GT league home and home schedule. I think the expansion of the league and unbalanced schedule along with the one and done in college has killed those home gym environments for all but a couple of teams. Plus every game is on TV now.

Agree. Maybe it's just the way I remember it as a

Jan 24, 2019, 1:03 PM

kid, but the ACC games seemed more of a rilvary type thing back then even if we were undermanned more times than not. Just something about setting guy's comes in like Sampson, Ford, Worthy, Jordan, etc.. knowing they'd be back the next year.

Jan 24, 2019, 12:58 PM

Jordan Greene's walkoff homerun against Florida State in Doug Kingsmore last year. That was such a great moment him. Well deserved, he is such a humble guy.

Jan 24, 2019, 1:19 PM

I agree with tigerlips the "Clemson beat a David Thompson led and 4th ranked NC State 92 - 70 at Littlejohn."

I would add, the Feb 1st 1975 whipping of uncheat 88-72 at LJ. Skip Wise ran the HATED 4 corners favored by uncheat at the time. It was awesome.

One other a note, was a mens soccer night game against a ranked opponent in a sellout at home. I was visiting friends a couple of years after my graduation. When I was a student we played way across campus, and although we enjoyed the matches the atmosphere was ho-hum. That night game win was electric.

I know I romanticize it because it's a childhood memories

Jan 24, 2019, 1:31 PM

but I remember watching Skip Wise as a kid and thinking he was like a professional basketball player. I was a kid, didn't really get the difference but man he was great.

Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 PM

+ 1 for a great thread. The best thread in days.

Mid-80's home basketball game against the tarholes. Beat

Jan 24, 2019, 1:34 PM

them on a last-second jumper by Chris Michael. I was up in the corner sitting on a rafter I think. Could not have been further from the court. Will never forget it!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

February 18, 2001 - Clemson beat #1 UNC

Jan 24, 2019, 1:43 PM

I was a senior and decided to go at the last minute. Glad I did!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 24, 2019, 1:45 PM

Any basketball game at the old Fike Field House was great. Sometimes the football team contributed :) heh heh

For me...

Jan 24, 2019, 1:47 PM

it would be the 1984 National Championship game against two-time defending champion Indiana at the Kingdome in Seattle, Washington.

One of the things so memorable about that Championship, we beat the No. 1 (Indiana), No. 2 (UCLA) and No. 3 (Virginia) ranked teams in the nation to win the Championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: For me...

Jan 24, 2019, 2:32 PM

Ha! I was there too while in the Army. I think me, you and 2,300 other people were there.

That was my junior year...

Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 PM

and the season started out pretty rough for us. Not only were we playing the toughest schedule in program history, we were 5 - 3 after eight games with a brutal schedule of games still to come.

We actually went 12-1 over the next thirteen matches to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

What was even more amazing about that Tournament run was that we lost our starting goalkeeper to an injury and played with a walk-on for most NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 2:14 PM

A 2014 Boston College baseball game. It was senior day, the final day of another disappointing season. Clemson trailed by 5 going to the bottom of the 9th. Senior Jon McGibbon, who had an extremely underwhelming season, cleared the bases with 2 out to tie it. Then Jay Baum doubled home Garrett Boulware win it in the 13th inning 10-9. This was also the last sporting event I went to with my grandfather so I'll always remember it.

Another game I distinctly remember was a Virginia Tech basketball game in 2005. Purnell's second season. Once again, it was senior night in Littlejohn. The Tigers tied at 64 on a 3 by senior Olu Babalola, who I dont think had ever made a 3 in his life. Then Shawan Robinson stole the ball and passed up court to senior Sharrod Ford who dunked it just before the buzzer.

The atmosphere at the 2008 UNC basketball game where Wayne Ellington ripped out all of our hearts was insane too. That game is really Clemson bball in a nutshell.

Wasn't that 1980, not 1990? Over 13,000 in Littlejohn!***

Jan 24, 2019, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1987 Final Four Soccer Finals at Riggs Field. There were

Jan 24, 2019, 2:49 PM

two semifinal games on Saturday and the championship game on Sunday afternoon. I went to all three games. Ironically, those are the only three soccer games I’ve ever been to in my life. It was an absolute blast. The two things that stand out to me was the overflow crowd on Sunday and the last goal by Clemson. Clemson had a 1-0 lead for a good bit of the game. Clemson scored a second time on an extremely long shot with only a couple of minutes to go. The noise was deafening. My late father didn’t know everything that was going on, except we were pulling hard for the Tigers. Great memories.

That was Richie Richmond...

Jan 24, 2019, 3:23 PM

We actually started six or seven freshmen in that game but we also had some really strong senior leadership with guys like Pauly Rutenis, Timmmy Genovese and James Rootes Bruce Murray.

Bruce would go on the win the Hermann Award which is the collegiate soccer version of the Heisman Trophy.

I agree with the OP - Duke v Clemson Hoops 1990***

Jan 24, 2019, 2:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2009 Clemson-Duke BB

Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 PM

at LJ. 74-47, and Ratface called a TO with 1 minute to play so his players had to hear the Tiger's Crowd.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic