Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5

Dec 4, 2020, 6:31 AM

#1 T-Law. Has to be at number 1. The one and only #1 pick we've ever had. The most talented QB to touch the college field in 10 years.
#2 Deshaun Watson. Dabo said he is Michael Jordan. Enough said.
#3 Homer Jordan. Helped give us our first taste of success. Will always be known for he's game vs Nebraska.
#4 Tajh Boyd. Holds so many ACC records you can't count. Will always be one of our favorites.
#5 Woody Dantzler. One of the best duel threat QBs of all-time. Was the first QB ever to have 2000 passsing and 1000 rushing.
Any dissagreaments? How would you rank them?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5

Dec 4, 2020, 6:36 AM

T-Law
DW4
T Boyd
Fuller
Whitehurst

Steve Fuller was probably a better QB than Homer, Tajh or

Dec 4, 2020, 6:39 AM

Woody. He didn't win as much as Homer or Tajh but he was a much better passer working in a run-first system. He was much like Whitehurst, in that he spent years in the NFL as a coveted backup.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Steve Fuller was probably a better QB than Homer, Tajh or

Dec 4, 2020, 8:07 AM

Yep. Fuller was tough as nails and very intelligent too. I believe while he wasn't selected, he was considered for a Rhodes Scholarship.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 6:39 AM

TLaw/Watson tied

Dec 4, 2020, 7:03 AM

Nope, TL is a clear #1 both have a NC but DW has almost 3 times more INTs

Dec 4, 2020, 7:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5 ]

Dec 4, 2020, 7:08 AM

I have them tied. Watson had a Michael Jordan type quality where he turned into a 1 man gang. He abused Bama. TL played poorly vs LSU, so it's tough for me to say who is a better college QB. It's splitting hairs for me. They are both so great.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:29 AM

I have Watson #1... not on talent. Trevor is more talented but Deshaun has that “it” factor. No way he lets us get blown out by LSU as he would put the team on his back.

Too early to find a spot for DJ + Big Dave on this list? Other than that OP I agree.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:57 AM

I go with a tie between TL16 and DW4. Trevor has the superior arm, but Deshaun has the better mobility. Take LSU game, Watson likely adjusts to more run and frustrates LSU by making plays in the second half. On the other side, Trevor dissects a talented Bama defense in ‘18 in a way that Deshaun couldn’t so it turns into a blowout.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5 ]

Watson slight nod over Tlaw16. The bigger the stage. The bigger DW4 played. Tlaw has a chance to move to #1 if he wins this year.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Best Clemson QBs of all time top 5 ]

OK KID, YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINT!!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 4, 2020, 7:41 AM

TLaw
DW4
Fuller - top 3 all very good, almost a 3-way tie accounting for different eras, styles, and personalities. TLaw - best pure QB. DW4 - best team leader/winner Fuller - best for his era and first great CU QB - without him the others never happen

Whitehurst
Boyd

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Patrick Sapp x 5***

Dec 4, 2020, 7:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 7:57 AM

I think you might want to consider Steve Fuller.

LOL at Homer Jordan.***

Dec 4, 2020, 8:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jimmy Greensleeves- hands down.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:15 AM

Nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 8:21 AM

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Tajh Boyd
4. Charlie Whitehurst
5. Woody Dantzler

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Agree 100%***

Dec 4, 2020, 7:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 8:25 AM

Lawrence
Watson
Fuller
Boyd
Dantzler

Lets play guess the QBs really quick

Dec 4, 2020, 8:30 AM

Both of these guys played in the last 20 years and started for at least 2 seasons.

QB A) 63.6% career completion %, 7.1 career YPA, 2.1 TD/INT ratio, 135.0 career QB rating (FWIW)

QB B) 59.7% career completion %, 7.1 career YPA, 1.1 TD/INT ratio, 124.2 career QB rating

Re: Lets play guess the QBs really quick

Dec 4, 2020, 8:52 AM

A. Watson
B. Charlie

Re: Lets play guess the QBs really quick

Dec 4, 2020, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Lets play guess the QBs really quick ]

Cullen Harper
Whitehurst

My only change would be replacing Homer with Whitehurst.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:41 AM

Homer was a QB who absolutely fit the team offensive concept of the time nearly perfectly. But, he wouldn't be considered a top tier individual QB today. Whitehurst was our first really great "pass first" QB. He was tough as nails, too. He took one helluva beating in our bowl game against Texas Tech one year, and kept getting back up.

As far as just toughness, I would have to rank our current QB coach, Brandon Streeter, very highly on our list. He survived behind an offensive line that was, well pretty offensive, if you nose what I mean.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimmy Addison was our very best pure passing QB.

Dec 4, 2020, 3:22 PM

But, he only weighed 165 pounds.

He had Wayne Mass and Harry Olzewski blocking and Buddy Gore running, but his passes to Phil Rogers and Jacky Jackson were legendary.

He could totally thread the “Needle” ...

Dec 4, 2020, 8:50 AM

5. Homer Jordan
4. Steve Fuller
3. Tajh Boyd
2. Trevor Lawrence
1. Watson

Honorable Mention:
Woody
Clipboard Jesus

Anyone ignoring Homer Jordan is crazy. Undefeated and first championship and our schedule in 1981 was insane!

Woody & Charlie were great. And Charlie is by far the biggest character and the ultimate Coot Killer. He will always be a huge fan favorite. But Woody & Charlie are not top 5.

Boyd had the best receivers. Watson had better receivers than Trevor.

Trevor is the best passer and will be the better pro. But right now Watson is number one! He played two truly great games against Bama. Watson was Mr. Clutch! If we had one game to play for greatest team of all time, right now I’m going with Watson. He proved over & over he could win the big game and deliver. Trevor played poorly against LSU. At times even when not under pressure.

You folks telling me if it’s 1 game and your life is on the line you are taking TL over Watson? I call BS! Watson is special. Coolest Tiger ever under pressure. One game for all the marbles, right now I’m rolling with Watson.

If we make the title game this year I will reconsider. It will depend on how TL plays. If we win the playoffs this year TL will be number one. No doubt. If we lose close and TL plays well I’d have TL & Watson tied at one. But no title game or another disappointing performance in the playoffs and TL stays at #2.

No way TL is #1 if we lose to ND in the ACCCG.

Meanwhile in cootlumbia

Dec 4, 2020, 8:53 AM

Who were the top 5 Coot QBs ?

Hmmmmm

Isn't it fun to debate who our top 5 are? We have had 2, should have won the Heisman QBs, and we look good going forward.

Why y’all gotta disrespect Streeter?

Dec 4, 2020, 9:17 AM

And how is Billy Luckie not on the list?

Streeter only started one year and the other years either

Dec 4, 2020, 9:30 AM

backed up Dantzler or rotated in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Here goes

Dec 4, 2020, 9:19 AM

DW
TL
Homer Jordan
Steve Fuller
Tajh Boyd

Should we make the playoff this year I switch DW and TL.

I agree with your list, except for #5. Steve Fuller was the

Dec 4, 2020, 9:33 AM

best QB Clemson had from 1896 until the late 1970's. Steve Fuller was the QB at the beginning of our run to a National Title in 1981. In those days we mostly ran the triple option, but Fuller had a cannon for an arm and could make all of the throws.

There was a reason Fuller's #4 was retired. Fuller agreed to let DW4 wear #4 during his time at Clemson.

My goodness have we had some amazing QBs while Dabo coached.***

Dec 4, 2020, 9:44 AM

null

We had a guy named Harvey White

Dec 4, 2020, 9:50 AM

from Greenwood who was mighty good. He played 1956-1959.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We had a guy named Harvey White

Dec 4, 2020, 3:24 PM

He was a real good one on teams that did not pass a lot. .

He split time with Lowndes Shingler.

Dec 4, 2020, 6:57 PM

Yeah, Harvey White was a great one.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:01 PM

The thing about Harvey White and Lowndes Shingler splitting playing time is because the QB had to also play defense in those one platoon days.

Dec 4, 2020, 11:42 AM

I have Lawrence and Watson as (1A) and (1B) at the top of the list Lawrence has more arm talent than Watson, but Watson had leadership abilities second to none. Lawrence is a great leader in his own right, but Watson made everyone that played along side of him rise to another level.

If I had a game to win, I would give the nod to Lawrence. Yet if I had to win a game down by a TD or less with 2 minutes to go, then I'm going with Watson 10 out of 10. Watson rises when the fire burns the hottest. He was born to be legendary.

I am certain, health provided, that DJU will become a part of this conversation before he leaves Clemson. DJU might just be the most gifted all-around QB to ever take a snap for the Tigers.

Dec 4, 2020, 11:51 AM

1. DW/TL*
2. Tajh Boyd
3. Steve Fuller
4. Woody Dantzler

*If Trevor pulls us through this COVID year to a national championship then he moves to sole possession of #1.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Pengitore, Eppley, Williams,

Dec 4, 2020, 5:49 PM

The guy who was also the kicker, Solomon

Dec 4, 2020, 7:02 PM

Woody Dantzler was the start of turning things a bit offensively. Rich Rod got hold of him and it was amazing. Agree he is in top 5 and grateful for how he has chosen to live his life.

when i look at someone like woody

Dec 4, 2020, 7:28 PM

i cant help but think just ow good he could have been had he had the talent around him as well..trevor and watson are better no doubt but the talent they had around them vs what woody did with the talent around him is amazing

Rodney Williams belongs on this list somewhere.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:59 PM

Rodney Williams (85?-88?)

When his career ended at Clemson, this Columbia native was the winningest quarterback in Clemson history. Head coach Danny Ford inserted Williams into the line up as a true freshman in 1985, splitting time with then Clemson football quarterback Randy Anderson.

The stat line that Williams produced will not blow you away. The wins, the game management, and his leadership is what placed Williams on this list. The mid-80’s were a crucial time in Clemson football history. Coming off of a probation handed down by the NCAA, the Tigers were limited by scholarship restrictions and television appearances. Enter Rodney Williams.

His freshman year, he helped lead the Tigers to a 6-6 finish. In 1986 the Tigers improved to 8-2-2. Ties against Maryland and South Carolina in back to back weeks seemed to fuel the Tigers signal caller. He led Clemson on an impressive bowl win streak after the 86? regular season as the Tigers defeated Stanford 27-21 in the Gator Bowl.

Williams would go on to collect bowl wins against national powers Penn State and his last game as a Tiger was a Citrus Bowl win versus Oklahoma.

Williams finished his career with 32 wins under his belt, 4647yds passing, 863yds rushing and 28 total touchdowns. He finished his career 2-1-1 versus instate rival South Carolina and was a 3-1 in bowl games.

Rodney Williams was instrumental in the Tigers resurgence into the national spotlight after a few years under the dark cloak of probation. Had it not been for this game manager, the captain of the boat that was led by a stout defense and a physical running game, there is no telling where the Clemson football program may have slipped to.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 8:00 PM

How can exclude Homer Jordan who IMO was the MVP against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl 1981 NC game.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic