Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball vs. Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Basketball vs. Football

Feb 14, 2021, 5:03 AM

I have seen a few stabs at BB lately no matter how many games we win that discard a top level conference finish with the continued domination in fb. At Clemson that comparison is is totally ridiculous. The men's BASKETBALL job at Clemson is certainly the toughest job at Clemson and one of the toughest in the ACC and even the country. For example the Gamecocks can stay in the SEC till the rapture and they are NEVER NEVER going to win it in football ! Our chances are a little better in basketball in the ACC in the regular season maybe once in 25 years but we are likely to NEVER win the ACC tournament in basketball no matter who the coach is. Our goal in basketball is ( as one poster put it) should be to make the NCAA tournament 2-3 times in 5 years and maybe make the Sweet 16 once in 5 years. That is a realistic goal but to remotely compare is to football is unfair at Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball vs. Football

Feb 14, 2021, 6:05 AM

Finally beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill to end that long streak so look for the same to happen one day winning the first ACC Tournament Championship to end that one also.

Feb 14, 2021, 6:33 AM

I ,for one don't know exactly what you have been reading, but this I know.
No one expects us to win the conference in basketball. Heck ,no one even expects us to beat Duke ,UNC, or even Virginia year in and year out, but there is no reason, IMO, we can't be competitive and beat teams like FSU, Ga. Tech, Syracuse, Wake, even N.C. State year in and year out and get to the big dance more than twice in 11 years.
Do you think Dabo would still be here if he had only been to post season play twice in eleven seasons?
Look, its 'even tougher in football to get into the CFP's as only the top 4 teams get in. But in basketball you have the top 64 teams, and we have only been there 2 times in the past 11.COME ON MAN!
look I will say that Brad is a great X and O guy, but what Clemson basketball needs is a Dabo Swinney type recruiter.
I don't think Brad is that guy. Do you?
Oh, and please don't ask me to pick his successor. He's still the coach until the end of March, or whenever the season ends.

Feb 14, 2021, 9:32 AM

We are competitive with the teams you listed almost every year. ALL of those teams have much better pedigrees in basketball than Clemson and are in states that produce better D1 basketball players.
As for the 64 team argument, the fact is with the automatic bids, conference champs, etc there are not many at large teams spots open. You generally have to be above 60% in conference play and have about 20 wins total. That is NOT easy in this conference.
The fact is Clemson has never shown much commitment to basketball. We finally got some good (not great like football) upgrades two years ago and our recruiting has been much better.
We all want to be national champs in every sport but someone has to be the adult and recognize our history, location, commitment and competition to thoughtfully and responsively assess the program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comparing postseason play in football and basketball is ridiculous.

Feb 14, 2021, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Basketball vs. Football ]

You are equating postseason play in basketball to the NCAA Tournament, but postseason play in football to making a bowl. Come on.

To make a bowl, you basically have to be .500 (and even a losing record this year was good enough for a bowl).

In basketball, a winning record doesn’t get you anywhere close to the NCAA Tournament and is unlikely these days to get you into the NIT. So there is really no comparison to a bowl.

Brad has only had one losing season in his 11 years at Clemson. If we had a bowl system for basketball, he would be able to say that he made a bowl 10 of 11 seasons. Have you thought about that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Great post...

Feb 14, 2021, 11:30 AM

Until the very end. I love CBB, but that last sentence is only going to open the door for a Tommy Bowden comparison, let’s not give them that ammo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It’s not an argument for Brad.

Feb 14, 2021, 11:32 AM

Just an illustration of how ridiculous it is for people to move the goalposts when comparing football to basketball.

If we are going to talk about postseason play in both sports, we should make it a fair comparison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That may get missed since “Brad” is in the paragraph .***

Feb 14, 2021, 11:34 AM

null

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

To further expound upon the above...

Feb 14, 2021, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Comparing postseason play in football and basketball is ridiculous. ]

If we had bowls in college basketball:

Oliver Purnell: 6 bowls in 7 years at Clemson
Larry Shyatt: 2 bowls in 5 years at Clemson
Rick Barnes: 4 bowls in 4 years at Clemson
Cliff Ellis: 9 bowls in 10 years at Clemson
Bill Foster: 8 bowls in 9 years at Clemson

Why aim low?

Feb 14, 2021, 6:57 AM

To say we probably won’t win the ACC tournament - I ask why not?
If GT can do it multiple times - why not Clemson?
If Miami can do it - why not Clemson?
If FSU can do it - why not Clemson?
If ND can do it - why not Clemson?

Granted doing it on a regular basis is a dream, but why not start with one and go from there?

The ACC basketball conference right now is as bad as it has ever been. #### Vitale last night was making the same comments during the telecast last night. One ACC team a potential 3 seed and one a 5 seed currently projected for tourney.
While it would be nice to see, but i don’t believe anyone would be shocked if the ACC teams were out after first weekend.
So, why do we have to shoot so low?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2021, 7:14 AM

So to elaborate on my point... it was me who said make the tourney every 3 out of 5 with one sweet 16 run during that time. However, my point was that needs to be our goal right now. Once we do that consistently that needs to propel us forward to our next step of competing for the ACC and elite 8’s with consistency. My point was give CBB realistic expectations for him to deliver and than raise them one he does. This is like Clemson starting by big bowl win (LSU), then win conference, bad loss in orange bowl, consistently win conference, big bowl win in orange bowl, than consistently big bowl wins, consistent CFP appearances, and national championships. It starts in basketball with expectations of 3 of 5 and it goes up from there. Hopefully brownell is the coach who delivers on realistic expectations as well as the raised ones. If not we have to find someone who will.

Whatever Coach B has been doing lately ...

Feb 14, 2021, 10:00 AM

its working. Key is too be consistent about it. I predict Final Four this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2021, 11:43 AM

While I mostly agree with you. I don’t think we should ever settle for low goals. I think winning the ACC is an achievable goal. I would definitely never compare our chances of winning the ACC championship in basketball to the coots chances of winning the SEC in football. That’s just crazy.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic