Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bar-net. Any of you snoots have a decanter?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Bar-net. Any of you snoots have a decanter?

Jan 19, 2021, 9:24 AM

Wife-of decided to spruce up our bar area. Yesterday she went shopping and came home with, among other things, a decanter.

I have 2 thoughts:
-Gotta put brown liquor in it, because if clear you couldn't see anything and
-I'm not putting my fancy bourbon in it because it's fancy bourbon in it's fancy bottle already.

What's lounge recommend?
Pour cheaper bourbon in it and pretend it's fancy?
Pour cheapest possible bourbon in it and use only as decoration?
Mix bottle remnants in it to make my own brand of swill?
Pour fanciest bourbon possible in it for some reason?
Pour daily drinker in it and be sure to put on ascot before pouring drinks?

Pinkies out, beeches.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put milk in decanter.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:26 AM

Store in freezer.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I drink dark liquor about once every 5-10 years.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:26 AM

Think it'd go bad in between house moves?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be glad to test it for you to see.***

Jan 19, 2021, 9:29 AM

Mix bottle remnants in it to make my own brand of swill***

Jan 19, 2021, 9:27 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Infinity bottles are for noobs

Jan 19, 2021, 9:31 AM

That cannot get anything other than "vanilla" and "caramel" out of bourbon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Bourbon snobs are possibly worse than beer snobs, maybe

Jan 19, 2021, 9:33 AM

even worse than wine snobs.

WT101 for the win, every time.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woah woah woah

Jan 19, 2021, 10:25 AM

Wild Turkey 101 is in my top 5. Bourbon snobs hold their nose up to me. I am a working man's bourbon drinker.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$35 for a half gallon (rough price, don't remember really)

Jan 19, 2021, 10:31 AM

and it gets you drunk and tastes good.

I want to be a bourbon snob, I even tried once, but my wallet says that is a bad idea. I am a snob about so many other things, bourbon just doesn't fit.

I don't particularly agree with that.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Infinity bottles are for noobs ]

Mine's got some things happening that'll kick you in the dick from a couple different non-caramel angles. A little on the sweet side at the moment, but it'll come back around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Throw in about 12oz of Fireball and I think you'd have a

Jan 19, 2021, 10:26 AM

decent cinnamon nose showing through.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

The folks I see putting together infinity bottles

Jan 19, 2021, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I don't particularly agree with that. ]

Are not equal to you in the bourbon world. I respect your infinity bottle work, but I know that you KNOW better than the majority of "bourbon" folk.

With that being said... that is a HELL of an infinity bottle.

Most people would probably keep bourbons and ryes

Jan 19, 2021, 10:44 AM

separate, but I'm all YOLO. Rye evens out the sometimes oversweet bourbon nectar.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mixing/house bourbon is in our decanter

Jan 19, 2021, 9:31 AM

I currently have JTS Brown in there, but I have had Wild Turkey 101, Heaven Hill White Label, and Old Grand Dad Bonded in there. The good bottles stay put away.

Re: Bar-net. Any of you snoots have a decanter?

Jan 19, 2021, 9:33 AM

I decant most red wines prior to consumption, particularly if older than 2-3 years old. This is functional rather than decorative. Can’t say I decant liquor, maybe I’m ignorant and it serves a purpose?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know of a purpose with liquor other than to hide

Jan 19, 2021, 9:36 AM

your sketchy bottles and/or let wife-of do some decorating.

For the red wine you just pour from bottle into decanter to aerate, is that the idea?

Red wine gives me gas too***

Jan 19, 2021, 9:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

That's just queefs, after you and crulez get together,

Jan 19, 2021, 10:27 AM

pound down some red wine and BF each other until you fall asleep in a big gay heap on the ground.

Re: I don't know of a purpose with liquor other than to hide

Jan 19, 2021, 9:48 AM [ in reply to I don't know of a purpose with liquor other than to hide ]

Yes, several scientific benefits. Separates solid compounds in much older wines, allows some sulfur and other undesirable preservative compounds to dissipate leaving behind more of what was intended to be in there, and oxidation causes polymerization of tannins that improve the mouthfeel.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My $8 bottle of Liberty Creek could use a breather***

Jan 19, 2021, 10:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never been a fan

Jan 19, 2021, 9:34 AM

probably have given away three or four that people gave me as gifts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You drink brown liquor every night?

Jan 19, 2021, 9:37 AM

Pour drink from bottle into glass. Pour drink from glass into mouth. Throw out decanter

Problem solved.

I never understood the appeal of unlabeled alcohol

Jan 19, 2021, 9:41 AM

sitting around. I'd forget what it was, which would suck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anything put in a decanter would have to be a cheap blend

Jan 19, 2021, 9:54 AM

for looks. And everyone who knows good stuff would think this, so why have one?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have one, so...good question.

Jan 19, 2021, 9:42 AM

Seems like in movies and TV, they're only used for drinking neat/rocks whiskey, so your cocktail and mixin' whiskey wouldn't make sense in a decanter. I guess if you poured a baller high-dollar bottle in the decanter, you could keep the empty next to it for show. Seems a little pointless. Infinity bottle is a use I hadn't really pondered, but I guess that could make sense. Maybe more sense than anything else, now that I'm thinking it through. Yeah. Do that.

Several possibilities......

Jan 19, 2021, 9:53 AM

First, by default, it should be placed in that cabinet with the fine china and the sterling silver that's literally never used. HOWEVER, in the rare event you have someone over who you want to impress, it's important to drag all that crap out.

If you just want it out for fancy looks, then place cheep bourbon in it, and let everyone marvel at it. BUT, if you plan to host a VIP in your home, best to have something good in it and pour from it, meaning you'd need something nice in it.

Guess it all depends on if you ever plan to host anyone super important in your home you'd be willing to break out the fine china for or whatever. If not, then store it in a cabinet. If you want it for looks, put some cheep bourbon in it. If you host parties a lot, or think you may ever want to pour your very best bourbon for someone, put the good stuff in it and leave it out.

I have two of my grandmother's decanters out on my bar top. Purely for looks. The rest are stashed with the dusty china and tarnished silver. They sit empty, but still provide a nice look. Way I see it, if I ever hosted someone important, I'd pour a little nice bourbon in it, as needed on super rare occasions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say ol' boy, you've come to the right place

Jan 19, 2021, 10:03 AM

I only put the top Macallen in one and the other contains Michter's Celebration. It's good for guests or if you want some alone time in your library.

Sorry if I come off over the top I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for delivery of my 2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS600

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have this weird feeling that you just googled

Jan 19, 2021, 10:05 AM

"expensive whiskey" and "expensive car".

I will NOT be besmirched by a man who doesn't have

Jan 19, 2021, 10:10 AM

31.4. bitcoin

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because if he would have winged it on his own, he would have

Jan 19, 2021, 10:29 AM [ in reply to I have this weird feeling that you just googled ]

come up with Patron and a BMW Z3.

^^^^NOT new money***

Jan 19, 2021, 10:35 AM [ in reply to I say ol' boy, you've come to the right place ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a fancy bottle...A Decanter is a vessel

Jan 19, 2021, 10:09 AM

used to allow a nice wine to breathe ;)

Etemology bored is that way------------->***

Jan 19, 2021, 10:20 AM

got one at a wedding, never used it

Jan 19, 2021, 10:46 AM

its up top cabinet gathering dust. Has my name on it, you can have it if you want.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic