Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Back before the war - Songs with meaning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Back before the war - Songs with meaning

Jan 20, 2021, 1:42 PM

With the CDC making me feel like I am in a war zone again, I started thinking about how it felt before being sent overseas and remembered songs that stood out. Besides the obvious anti-war songs of the late '60s, a few came to mind - I have already posted about Bad Moon Rising and Tommy James' Crimson and Clover that was converted to "Clemson and Clover (over and over)". Peter, Paul & Mary's Leavin' on a Jet Plane was sung as "leavin' on a jet plane - don't know IF I'll be back again" instead of "don't know WHEN I'll be back again" (for obvious reasons). The song that stands out the most is Jerry Butler's "Only the Strong Survive" because one guy in my Basic Training platoon brought the album and a turntable to Ft. Bragg and played that song every evening after hard days of training. (Most of us showed up with little more than a toothbrush and he brings a record player). I think that song helped our platoon Drill Sergeant form a different kind of bond with us after hearing it every day. The lyrics "there's a man with a gun over there" also stands out from around that time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back before the war - Songs with meaning

Jan 20, 2021, 2:13 PM

I know the helicopter gunships blasted some that music to put fear in the VC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 2:28 PM

49 bye-byes is the song you're groping for.

"There's a man with a gun over there, telling me I got to beware..."

Buffalo Springfield, then later CSN&Y.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knew it was Buffalo Springfield but

Jan 20, 2021, 2:31 PM

the rest wasn't exactly clear.

Re: Knew it was Buffalo Springfield but

Jan 20, 2021, 2:53 PM

saw them at CU in the spring of '68 along with the strawberry alarm clock and the beach boys minus brian wilson.pretty decent concert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I was there that Spring and remembered

Jan 20, 2021, 2:58 PM

that Strawberry Alarm Clock came but forgot about the other two

Message was edited by: clover65®

Jan 20, 2021, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Knew it was Buffalo Springfield but ]

I was there for that one, too. Was dating the Dogmom then. Will be 50 years of wedded combat this summer. (Just kidding, Dear! I know you're lurking....)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, what a lineup. I would love to hear any stories or memories

Jan 20, 2021, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Knew it was Buffalo Springfield but ]

that anyone might have from that concert. Seriously, that is amazing...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Jan 20, 2021, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Knew it was Buffalo Springfield but ]

I see what you did there...very nice.

I was wrong anyway. That is from "For what it's worth". Right group, wrong song. They did those as a medley a lot of times in concert. Steven Stills wrote them both.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Back before the war - Songs with meaning ]

I think you’re conflating ‘For What It’s Worth’ by Buffalo Springfield (Stephen Stills and Young’s first band together in the 60s) that was a huge war protest song and had the chorus “Stop, hey, what’s that sound; everybody look what’s going down” - with a medley of ‘For What It’s Worth’ and ‘49 Bye Byes’ (a ‘somewhat love song’) that was performed by Stills on CSNY’s ‘4 Way Street’ live album later on (about ‘71/‘72).

Although he pretty much has been opposed to everything I was/did (career military), up to his current liberal and climate change crusade mentality, I have been a HUGE Neil Young fan. Well, until the past 5 years or so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Lake Wylie special song “Come on down to my boat” by

Jan 20, 2021, 5:45 PM

Every Mother’s Son. Teenage angst listing to it on Big Ways (610 on your AM dial!) hoping one of the babes at Joyner’s would come on down to our boat. Never did. Sigh!

Need help with memory now - what was the name of the seafood restaurant at the ### end of Lake Wylie on the Rock Hill side? Before Tega Cay was in existence. It was built on pilings over the water close to Goat Island. Had a great whole flounder and baked potato!

Re: Lake Wylie special song “Come on down to my boat” by

Jan 20, 2021, 6:37 PM

The Hungry Fisherman, off Buster Boyd Bridge. It was rebuilt after a fire in the 70s and closed about 30 years ago. Good food!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, not the Hungry Fisherman. That’s on the old Pier 49 site.

Jan 20, 2021, 10:30 PM

Buster Boyd Bridge (we used to jump off the high part on HS Senior Day!) is about middle of Wylie. The restaurant I’m trying to recall was at the very end of the lake on the ### end - closer to Rock Hill. It was on the opposite side of Tega Cay and farther down the lake.

Go Tigers!

Ever go to Big Ways Birthday Bash

Jan 20, 2021, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Lake Wylie special song “Come on down to my boat” by ]

With tons of groups?

Re: Ever go to Big Ways Birthday Bash? Absolutely!

Jan 20, 2021, 11:33 PM

The list of groups playing were unbelievable. Especially to get them in Charlotte. Every teen listened to Big Ways - loved the $1,000 treasure hunts with the clues and the admonition “it’s only on public property! Don’t be looking for the $1,000 on private property!”

Great DJ’s - here’s a blast from the past!

https://m.facebook.com/Big-WAYS-Radio-610-264095710444/videos/long-john-silver-042368/1150761421540/

Go Tigers!

I went to severa - don't remember exactly how many

Jan 21, 2021, 8:25 AM

but it was amazing to see so many current hit groups show up for just a couple of their songs in one night.

Jan 20, 2021, 6:18 PM

Hate to break the news to you ,but we are in a war zone, but it ain't overseas.

Jan 20, 2021, 7:31 PM

Like I said- that’s the way I feel

Jan 20, 2021, 6:35 PM

There were really some great songs during that time. I remember all of those you mentioned, plus A Whiter Shade of Pale (think that's the name), Fire and Rain (James Taylor), Silver Wings (Merle Haggard), For the Good Times (Ray Price) among others.

How did they spell Procol Harum?***

Jan 20, 2021, 7:29 PM

Buffalo Springfield on the Smothers Brothers TV show 1967...

Jan 20, 2021, 7:09 PM

check out the sideburns on a 21 year old Neil Young. And Stephen Stills trying not to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOWwqva0sM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Which war?

Jan 20, 2021, 10:42 PM

I was expecting songs from the last couple years - of which I know basically none

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic