Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Augusta Georgia question.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 2,947

Augusta Georgia question.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:00 PM

What is the living situation like for Augusta Georgia? Any recommendations on where to live/ avoid? I'll be moving for work. I'm also okay with a long commute if needed.(45 minutes)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Re: Augusta Georgia question.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:07 PM

i grew up in that area. like most things - it depends. age? what you like doing? money situation? buy or rent?
some parts of augusta are better than others - and you can also live in north augusta or aiken.
BTW - north augusta is 2 hours 10 minutes from clemson.
if you send me private message - i will give you more info.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

rent, I'm in my upper 20s. Only be there for 1.5-2 years.***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:10 PM

Oct 12, 2016, 3:09 PM

Definitely North Augusta. Too hard to deal with places in Augusta.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:16 PM

We have lived in North Augusta 50+ years. Great place to live . Also Columbia County which is adjacent to Augusta[ Richmond County]. Only downside to Columbia County is traffic- almost like Atlanta traffic at times. If you have children Columbia County schools are some of the best . Welcome!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2016, 3:14 PM

Avoid Richmond County and you should be fine

Evans, Matinez - super nice but traffic not so great (Columbia County)

North Augusta

You could stretch to Aiken

Graniteville

Augusta area continues to grow

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2016, 3:15 PM

No kids and short stay, you could swing richmond county - some nice apartment complexes

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw there are nice condos in downtown but wasn't sure of crime.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:17 PM

I'm not too concerned with traffic because a lot of my job will be traveling in the area.

Re: I saw there are nice condos in downtown but wasn't sure of crime.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:19 PM

I wouldn't live downtown ...rentals around wheeler road or robert c daniel would be convenient

Re: I saw there are nice condos in downtown but wasn't sure of crime.

Oct 12, 2016, 4:22 PM [ in reply to I saw there are nice condos in downtown but wasn't sure of crime. ]

I worked downtown and I would not walk outside by myself after dark. I was hit up for money about 3 times a week. Some areas are worse than others.

That being said, there are some excellent restaurants downtown.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frog Hollow, Well worth the cost. Craft and Vine as well.***

Oct 12, 2016, 4:52 PM

Murphy Village, North Augusta is calling your name

Oct 12, 2016, 3:17 PM

sounds perfect for you.

He might fit in very well there. They are always looking for

Oct 12, 2016, 4:10 PM

new blood to enhance their gene pool.

Your old digs...? ;~)***

Oct 13, 2016, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Murphy Village, North Augusta is calling your name ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a reason it's often referred to as Disgusta.

Oct 12, 2016, 3:27 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

^^^ Dis...^^^***

Oct 13, 2016, 2:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2016, 3:29 PM

Move to Martinez (Stevens Creek Road area). Centrally located. Convenient to everything. In Columbia County. Great place to live. Friendly people. Affordable cost of living. 3 hours to coast. 2 hours to Clemson. 2+ hours to Atlanta. 1+ hour to Columbia, SC. 30 minutes to Aiken. 3 hours to mountains. Great schools. Great place to live. I transferred here 38 years ago for a 2 year stint. Haven't been able to leave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2016, 3:31 PM

I lived in Augusta area for 5 years and have a sister that lives in North Augusta. I would recommend you look at Evans in Columbia County (stay out of Richmond County - high crime area). Evans is a nice area with all the restaurants and stuff you could want. The one thing I didn't like about Augusta is that there is no quick way to get to Clemson - all back roads through McCormick county with speed traps galore. Evans is closer to Clemson than the heart of Augusta and will knock about 20+ minutes off your drive time for gamedays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't mind the drive through McCormick.***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:53 PM

45 mins. will put you in proximity of coots and cootlumbia..

Oct 12, 2016, 3:43 PM

AVOID THAT AREA AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha I'm from Columbia, I want to avoid there;)***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:51 PM

I have a question for people from that area

Oct 12, 2016, 3:50 PM

Just curious but, how do you guys feel about the disposing of radioactive materials at the SRS? Big deal, not a big deal or would you rather see it all moved to one single repository? Not trying to drum up some political discussion but I honestly just want to know the thoughts from those who live in the area.

Appreciate the feedback. Just curious. Watched Into Eternity and wanted to know what folks think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQ-Mhb4OVo

Re: I have a question for people from that area

Oct 12, 2016, 4:44 PM

It's perfectly safe for interim storage, but long-term a single repository designed for that purpose is the way to go. Yucca Mountain was and still is the right answer.

Thanks. Appreciate the input.

Oct 12, 2016, 5:05 PM

I tend to agree that ultimately a repository seems to be the answer. But the longer we wait, the more stuff we'll have to ship; and I believe that these shipments are deemed hazardous by opponents of the YM Project. So much has already been allocated to YM that I just don't think we should abandon the idea entirely, as some want.

What I do find very typical is that such a project here is such a hotly contested topic and yet the Fins have experienced fewer problems with their 'Onkolo Project'. Seems like I heard something about the Swedes, Germans, Canadians and perhaps some of the Asian nations are actively looking into similar projects with far less backlash as we've seen in this endeavor. Interesting.

Oct 12, 2016, 4:58 PM [ in reply to I have a question for people from that area ]

I work at srs I think it's safer now than it was a couple decades ago now they are just trying to clean up all the waste but I'm sure the cancer rate in the area is a little higher than average but you gotta die from something I guess

Oct 12, 2016, 5:15 PM

As an energy source, it currently seems like a valid option because of the lesser impact it has- that is to say when it is accident free of course. And I'm only comparing that to things like coal fired plants and fossil fuels.

I once heard a fellow tell me that those who oppose nuclear energy should note that water bottles are typically a more harmful hazard to the environment and consumers than spent plutonium. Certainly an interesting take on the situation for sure.

Appreciate the input.

Oct 12, 2016, 4:18 PM

I lived in North Augusta, SC and worked in downtown Augusta for 4 years. I would stick to North Augusta, SC or Aiken, SC.

A couple of my coworkers also lived in Evans, GA.

Not good. To stay in Augusta, you have to live around old

Oct 12, 2016, 4:46 PM

Money. The rest is jive-ass, pimps, drugs and crime.

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

^^old money

Oct 12, 2016, 4:46 PM

nfm

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

I am the City Administrator in North Augusta, SC just across

Oct 12, 2016, 4:53 PM

the river from Augusta and home of Tyler Colvin. We have a great community and top notch quality of life. Check out our website at www.northaugusta.net or call me at (803) 441-4202 to discuss. Good luck with your move.

TigerTodd, I'm guessing you know my uncle?

Oct 12, 2016, 5:01 PM

Lark Jones.

You keeping him up to date on how well the Tigers are doing in football?

??

~JKB

Re: I am the City Administrator in North Augusta, SC just across

Oct 12, 2016, 7:30 PM [ in reply to I am the City Administrator in North Augusta, SC just across ]

when are we getting a decent restaurant off exit 5...???

:)

I'm from Aiken, have family in North Augusta, and use to work in Augusta.

Oct 12, 2016, 5:13 PM

Augusta gets worse and worse each year it seems. When I was still living in Aiken, the nightly news always had a breaking news story about a murder/meth lab going down. I no longer feel safe going around Augusta at night (use to go downtown when I was younger) and AVOID SOUTH AUGUSTA LIKE THE PLAGUE.

North Augusta keeps growing and still stays a pretty town. Aiken isn't that far of a drive. And if you don't mind valley rats, you got the area in between. Haha. My dad's from Belvedere, so I get along with MV folk just fine.

~JKB

Grew up in N.Augusta my entire life

Oct 12, 2016, 5:44 PM

North Augusta is definitely getting bigger/nicer, especially with the new baseball park they are gonna build on the river. The neighborhoods on the Savannah River on the SC side are really nice as well. If you want to live in Augusta, Columbia County is the way to go as that area has gotten really nice over the years.

Agreeing with everyone else, Aiken isn't too far away and has some nice places as well. The whole CSRA seems to be improving and expanding.

Great place to live honestly. Close enough to everything you need, but still a nice small town feel.

Oct 12, 2016, 5:45 PM

You definetly want to be as
Close as possible to James brown Blvd.

lol. "Long commute" is very relative.

Oct 12, 2016, 5:47 PM

Mine is 2 hours one way.

Wow!! I guess you either get mileage, or...

Oct 13, 2016, 12:11 AM

a Huge tax write off right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2016, 11:17 PM

If you like the country, Barnwell is 45 minutes away and you can buy a place for $235,000 that would cost you $600,000 or more in Augusta

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2016, 12:11 AM

It s#%ks

Oct 13, 2016, 2:33 PM

Not sure about the living situation but there's a really nice golf course in the city you should try out. Let me know if you ever need a 4th.

Replies: 39
| visibility 2,947
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic