Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KB vs Trevor last year A&M game drive chart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

KB vs Trevor last year A&M game drive chart

Sep 5, 2019, 9:24 PM

Ok guys, so this morning I decided I'm tired of the narrative by EVERYONE that we needed KB to beat A&M last year. That Trevor looked inferior or not ready or something. If you're going to immediately get defensive over these comments, I implore you to go back and rewatch that game yourself, and take into account the context of the game, playcalling, WR play, A&M defensive playcalling, and penalties. Here's a loose recap of a drive chart by each QB. Rewatching the game, it seems like running the football balanced us more, and untimely playcalling and penalties stalled drives with Trevor. But as far as reading the defense and putting the ball where it needed to be, Trevor was without a doubt better than KB, taking into account he did miss a couple. Some of the playcalling actually looked like they weren't sure they could trust Trevor yet but they actually could. So the playcalling looked like they were calling easy throws when his best was throwing downfield and reading the defense. This was a lot of work and time, so keep that in mind when you read it. Criticism welcome. I just think the "feel" of the game, and the "actual" game went two different ways.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

am watching it right now and thought the same. Trevor

Sep 5, 2019, 9:35 PM

completes a tough 3 rd down pass to Renfrow that is just short and next series in comes Kelley. And He took us down for a score. But, in the first half he killed us. What bothers me most is the fact that ETN keeps getting taken out of the game...

Re: am watching it right now and thought the same. Trevor

Sep 5, 2019, 9:54 PM

my guess, without rewatching the game, would be that Etienne wasn't quite ready to do pass blocking in a lot of the plays and so they had to keep shuffling him out.

At this time I would like to thank the legendary Spud.

Sep 5, 2019, 9:40 PM

For in his relentless teachings of the "SideWays Pic" maneuver I was able to read this as if it were a second nature. ;)

PS

Thank you for the breakdown, Dahamp!

Re: At this time I would like to thank the legendary Spud.

Sep 5, 2019, 9:58 PM

Haha when I uploaded I thought of Spud immediately. But I spent so much time on it I didn't even care about the pictures being sideways. Glad someone appreciated it

I have (2) monitors for my computer...

Sep 6, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to At this time I would like to thank the legendary Spud. ]

One I keep mounted on it's side just for Spud!

(And my mother-in-law whose EVERY Facebook pic is sideways)

You are also not taking into consideration

Sep 5, 2019, 10:06 PM

How much of the playbook did TL know. If he only knew 15 plays... that would have been bad news if he had to play the while game.

Re: You are also not taking into consideration

Sep 5, 2019, 11:24 PM

I'm pretty sure he knew more than. 15 plays. If you think he didn't know the whole playbook I guarantee you he wouldn't be playing. The coaches aren't going to worry about calling certain plays and failing stuff back because you don't know the playbook. I say this as someone who played. That's just not a factor.

Oh good. Then you know that each play

Sep 5, 2019, 11:44 PM

Will have several checks for each receiver, protection shifts, running back shifts, motions to offvalance the defense... there is no way trevor knew even half the playbook to start the season last year.

Plus, going off of his own comments about what is different between the beginning of last year verse this year... knowing the play book.

Re: Oh good. Then you know that each play

Sep 6, 2019, 1:12 AM

If that is all required, why did KB start? He never called a protection, or repositioned his RB, or read coverage, and yet he started 18 games.

And he misread the RPO at least 6 times just in the 4th qrtr at College Station.

Re: Oh good. Then you know that each play***

Sep 6, 2019, 2:23 AM

Sep 6, 2019, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Oh good. Then you know that each play ]

Knowing the playbook and knowing every single nuance to the game are different. That's not knowing the playbook. But if you think he didn't know half the playbook and he was on the field you're funny. We are just gonna disagree. No way any coach puts a guy on the field only knowing half the playbook. There's also a big difference in knowing the playbook and it being second nature. That part does come with time. In my experience, that would never, ever happen. Unless it was a position like RB towards the end of the game

Sep 6, 2019, 7:57 AM

Going into Tajh's sophomore year in spring practice they asked him to draw up some plays on the board and he couldn't. I remember thinking great we don't have a qb now. Glad it all panned out.

Sep 6, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh good. Then you know that each play ]

I'm only giving you grief because of the 'Kelly Bryant saved us!' crowd who don't want to admit that the standard was lower with KB. Even in his 4th year in the system, his grasp of the nuances was surpassed by the early enrollee true freshman. Dw4 and TL16 both push themselves to improve and perform at a higher level. KB had plateaued as a QB and was not going to improve anymore without either a change of situation or a lot of pushing.

It turns out that a lot of pushing didn't help, either.

Hopefully the total change in expectations at Mizzou will be good for him.

Fair enough.

Sep 6, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh good. Then you know that each play ]

I do mean to know how to check out of anything that the defense shows or how to shift a play to take advantage of the safety alignment. That is knowing the play book to me.

And by the way, I am in no way arguing whether or not KB was better. He was more prepared I think for that game and served his purpose. TL very well could have lit it up and blew them out of the water.

The good news for both of us is... that is probably exactly what we are going to watch in about 24 hours.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic