Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Asking for an honest answer. I still have not made my
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Asking for an honest answer. I still have not made my

Jan 6, 2021, 5:50 PM

opinion. The question is, “Do you think our team next year will be better or worse than this year’s team?” We lose our best QB, RB, WR and, probably LB. But, we have some really talented freshmen and sophs who will be a year older. And, another great recruiting class coming in. Plus, hopefully Ross returns. I’m not worried about QB but do think there will be a drop off at RB. I also am aware that injuries did not help this year. The future of college football is headed to who has the best offense vs the historical belief that defense wins. With 6’ 5” 235-250 lb quarterbacks, 6’5” receivers with speed being covered by 6’ DB’s, not to mention the RB position not being as important as it used to be (unless he can block to protect the QB). Outside of running back, I do think we will be better.

Two last thoughts. Our OL has got to get better and, here’s the big one...Venerable’s is the best DC in the nation. He loves to send in the defense alignment at the last second, but, many times our DL was still standing up, rather being in position when Ohio State was ready to run their play. I think future opponents will pick this up on film.

Sorry for the lon post.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Asking for an honest answer. I still have not made my

Jan 6, 2021, 5:54 PM

IMO we will be better, the D line will be a year stronger and simply more sound, they were still young overall. Next years team will have eight 4 and 5 star OL players we will get better there too.

And finally, yes we were not ready at some points in the game however remember, there are probably 3 teams in America that can line up and slug it out like Ohio state did, we just have to get a bit more seasoned....IMO...next year is not our year, it's the year after.

Jan 6, 2021, 5:55 PM

we win it all in 2 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 8:29 PM

I’m thinking the same. Think everything comes together in 22. 21 would be a pleasant surprise.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 6:59 AM

Right, the DL reminds me of where we were 2 seasons before the mama beatdown.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we need to prepare ourselves for the reality

Jan 6, 2021, 6:09 PM

that our run of conference championships and CFP appearances has to end sometime, and 2021 may just be the year. I think we are likely to lose one conference game, but make it back to the ACCCG. I have no prediction if we will win it or not, but if we do and make the CFP, I don’t see us winning it all.

We have been in rarified air for an extended period, and I think we are due for (another) reality check. That said, we are certainly capable of winning it all, and I hope I am dead wrong. You asked for honesty, and I have always been a cautiously optimistic, “under promise and over deliver”, type of fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we need to prepare ourselves for the reality

Jan 6, 2021, 9:27 PM

Coot!

Down in 2021 and back to the CFP in 2022.***

Jan 6, 2021, 6:23 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Down in 2021 and back to the CFP in 2022.***

Jan 6, 2021, 7:41 PM

If that is what happens, that will mean that T-Net will not be a friendly place to come even as a stone cold Tiger Fan!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On paper, defense gets better, offense get worse

Jan 6, 2021, 6:28 PM

Offensive line needs to improve immensely or the offense will suffer against the better teams

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On paper, defense gets better, offense get worse

Jan 7, 2021, 9:05 AM

Offense line isn’t the only place needing improvement.We had difficulty with several teams on pass defense and running defense. Several teams had a shot at us and because they were middle of the road teams didn’t have our depth which wasn’t as great as it had been for several years. Defense backfield was scary all year. Played good at times and was lost at times

Jan 6, 2021, 6:31 PM

I'm going to give you a definite I don't know. Too many variables to consider. Covid, injuries, transfers, opt-outs, graduations, in addition to all the crazy things that may happen in any of the games. And much depends on the opponents and where they are in all of this. Or coaches leaving our team, other teams, or other teams picking up excellent coaches. We'll have a much better idea after Spring ball, I'm sure.

Jan 6, 2021, 6:50 PM

My honest answer is the same as the coaching staff's approach;
It's a one game season.
Why look at week two till you get week one done.
At the end of the regular season you have either performed well enough to advance to the conference championship game ,or to the Papa John Toilet Bowl game.

Jan 6, 2021, 6:53 PM

No main line coaches are leaving. Where do you get that ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 6:55 PM

We will be different but so will all of the Big Boys! The two teams coming in with the most stability will be Oklahoma and Texas ATM depending on Mond but I think we will be better than last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would argue that if Ross returns we then did not lose our

Jan 6, 2021, 6:57 PM

best WR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask this question

Jan 6, 2021, 8:24 PM

After spring ball. Assuming we have spring ball this year. That is when the pieces will begin to be put together. The coaching staff in place at Clemson is TOP NOTCH and it is much to early to cry “the sky is falling”. Losing TL and ETN is not going to send this program into a tailspin
Clemson football wasn’t designed that way ... and you know that.

I’m counting on the rest of the league to be improving too.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:58 AM

Good question and some good answers. There's some good x and o ppl on here. HillRock, Leon Trotsky (sp) and a ton of others. Look for their posts and discussion, good stuff.

Not to belabor the point, but Dabo has always said, build inside out. We've done spectacular in skill players. As you said, best QB and RB in football... That don't get you squat if they're not on the field.

We have started to get better oline recruits in the last 2 cycles but we missed badly in 18-19 on the beef. In contrast, I posted last night, the group and rating of the OSU line we went against. Them fellas had rating of 98+ across their 2deep interior. Top 50 national players.

As others have posted, until that develops, our skill players and schedule will get us there. Will be hard to get past that point without it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic