Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As far as not putting Hunter in...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

As far as not putting Hunter in...

Oct 14, 2017, 11:35 AM

Just think for a second, it's unlikely there is a giant conspiracy going on where HJ is a world beater and is just being quietly stashed on the bench. The ENTIRE TEAM sees this kid in practice every day and it would have to be blatantly obvious he was better for him to get the start. If everyone on the team saw HJ was clearly the better back, then Dabo would risk losing the team (maybe even the coaches) for being that stubborn and potentially costing them a win because of loyalty.

In other words, I still trust this coaching staff to make the best decisions. Everyone has been shouting to see Etienne, saying 'Free Etienne,' but I saw him in on plays and completely whiff on protecting the QB and nearly got Cooper killed.

This game is almost like that play where Sammy Watkins muffed a punt or something and when he came back to the sideline, Dabo wasn't mad and just said, "Glad to see you're human." Our guys may have needed to feel human, get a loss, and know that these wins will take more effort, more dedication, and more desire. Look for our players and coaches to refocus and come out swinging to finish this season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW4 would have beaten Georgia.***

Oct 14, 2017, 11:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: DW4 would have beaten Georgia.***

Oct 14, 2017, 11:43 AM

In hindsight, he may have. He's just a different cat. He's the calmest guy I've ever seen back there. He never really let pressure get to him.

Not sure that Hunter and Watson are the same caliber though. HJ made a pass in the Wake game that was completed but inches, and I mean INCHES from being taken back for a pick 6.

we were told cole was better than watson as well

Oct 14, 2017, 11:47 AM

weekly by this same coaching staff..cooper was not doing a thing last night..they should have put johnson in..but per usual seniority >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> best player

you're right. Fire them all!

Oct 14, 2017, 11:50 AM

They obviously don't know what they are doing. And when are we going to finally end the dual OC experiment? It's clearly holding us back.

Re: we were told cole was better than watson as well

Oct 14, 2017, 1:10 PM [ in reply to we were told cole was better than watson as well ]

Kelly should not have played a snap, period. It was obvious just 3 snaps into the game that he wouldn’t be using his legs at all, and Syracuse knew it and exploited that fact.

But even with the best driver, you can’t win a race if the car sucks. Elliot & Scott were completely outmatched last night. If anyone was falling apart, it was our coordinators after the very first drive. If we aren’t putting our players in the best position to succeed - it doesn’t matter who they’re hiking the ball to. And if we weren’t going to run the fn ball all night, I’d love to know why Fuller and Choice didn’t play the entire second half to pick up those blitzes. Cooper almost died last night because of Sean Pollard and Travis Etienne. Gallman saved DW4’s tail so many times we became spoiled. And despite the concerted effort to teach our backs how to protect the WB, we failed miserably in that endeavor last night. It was hard to watch, especially in enemy territory.

Wrong...

Oct 14, 2017, 1:10 PM [ in reply to we were told cole was better than watson as well ]

They said Stout gave the best chance of winning at the time. They never said he was better player. Stout had been on campus longer. He knew the play book. Same thing with DW this year. Everybody knew he was a better QB than Savage but Savage has been there, knows the system, etc. It’s the same thing with Cooper.

I’ll agree that the coaches lost this game, but not because of their QB choices. They blew it with play calling on offense and defense and just a general lack of preparedness.

Re: we were told cole was better than watson as well

Oct 14, 2017, 1:48 PM [ in reply to we were told cole was better than watson as well ]

Cooper was 10 for 14 passing for 88 yards. That’s right on par with KBs passing numbers for a half. He hardly ever passes for more than 200 yards in a game. I think he did pretty well for being thrown into his first meaningful situation ever in college. It’s not like he went 3 for 12 with 3 picks. Good lord.

DW sucked like the rest of the team in

Oct 14, 2017, 11:48 AM [ in reply to DW4 would have beaten Georgia.*** ]

the second half at Georgia

Re: DW sucked like the rest of the team in

Oct 14, 2017, 12:28 PM

Funny.

You must not have been around in 2014

Oct 14, 2017, 11:46 AM

Because Coke Stoudt must have been clearly better than DW4

Re: As far as not putting Hunter in...

Oct 14, 2017, 11:47 AM

in my opinion it comes down more to what you do in game situations than practice situations....and Cooper has not finished very many drives this season while out there.....on the other hand in limited playing time Johnson has finished more scoring drives than Cooper who has had many more series out there....and it irritates me Hunter did not even get a chance to play because I truly believe the outcome would have been different for us.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 12:58 PM

I was worried as soon as I saw Cooper come in at the start of the third quarter. I actually thought Dabo would put Hunter Johnson in after two series with Cooper but he didn't. KB threw a pick last week into triple coverage. Just saying.

Our line backers are too small and ineffective. But it's their turn. They waited patiently. We have a couple of five stars on the bench. I'm not sure why Dabo came over to yell at Shaq Smith after Tanner Moose had that unsportsmanlike penalty.

Tanner Moose Van Smith and Carter are all 2 and three star recruits. They are each good for at least one bone head mistake per game.

Rotating running backs that can't block the blitzing line backer is stupid. Then again the QB should be able to see that coming.

Dorion Odaniel can't bring people down. Number 23 is even worse.

NO 42 and 90 don't get as much pressure as Alabama's front. Just saying.

Remember Dabo evaluates based on did they make the right read and not how well the play went. In other words he tweeks the grafes so that the results favor seniority.

The only way Hunter Johnson sees the field is if both Cooper and Kelly get hurt.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:04 PM

man how in gods green earth did clemson manage to lose just 3 games in the last three years with the bums we have on our roster, not to mention the sorryass coaches we have. smfh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 1:41 PM

I am talking about last night....if you do not think coaching (or lack thereof) did not play a major part in losing that game which we were favored to win by 21 points then you obviously did not watch the game.....that is all I am saying........Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Sure it did. The team wasn't ready to play

Oct 14, 2017, 1:44 PM

from the get go. But does that warrant the meltdowns we see here with this staff's track record? I've seen everything questioned except was Dabo on the grassy knoll in 1963

Cooper should have started.

Oct 14, 2017, 11:52 AM

If he wasn't performing, HJ should have been played the second half. Everyone should have seen this loss coming in the second quarter. Running back blocking is atrocious.

And yes, Dabo is human. DW4 would have beaten Georgia in 2014. But we have to trust our coaches to learn from their mistakes. Anyone remember 2016 NC?

TTT ... like your reasoning and consider this

Oct 14, 2017, 11:57 AM

There of course was or is no conspiracy to keep HJ on the bench, and in the end, it's the HC's preference. But consider in your words, did Dabo "lose the team (or maybe even some coaches)" with his decision to start KB yesterday. It's possible and IMHO that is exactly what happened. It was evident in the Offensive and Defensive implosion against a SYR team who had far better QB play but otherwise was far less talented. Dabo lost the team yesterday. It has rarely happened. So how did it happen yesterday? My best guess is either through playing it safe, loyalty to KB, or arrogance Clemson could win with a completely immobile running QB, Dabo, TE and JS lost the game. And you are right, O and D players sense when the guys that give us the best chance to win aren't on the field. My guess is also that all our coaches were not on the same page. This creates confusion that creates losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:19 PM

I will say that everybody I have talked to who has been at practices has indicated that Hunter Johnson has been notably better.

I just haven't liked Cooper's poise in the clutch. He does throw a nice ball (sometimes) but his decision-making scares me and in those must-make third-down throws he never seems to come up with the goods...and in fact is rarely close. A lot of those efforts seemed "speculative" and never really stood much of a chance. Drives just sorta...fizzled. Often despite very good field position.

Considering the level of talent around him, and the competition behind him, I'd personally say: "move on". I'm a big believer that when you get your chance, do something with it, and Cooper hasn't in any of the chances he's been given.

Cooper just hasn't shown us anything. I don't think he's a gamer, whereas Deshaun Watson was...and Hunter Johnson, in his limited opportunities, has shown indications he may be as well.

It certainly wasn't all on Cooper, though, or any one player. Everybody except maybe Clelin Ferrell was pretty much terrible. From the staff, from top to bottom, it was bad. Personnel decisions, tactical decisions, you name it...across the board everybody had some 'splaining to do. Whole lotta "wut?" stuff was going on last night.

1) Coaches made the decision to start Kelly Bryant when he was clearly hurt. Wut?
2) They then made the decision to play Cooper over Johnson after almost getting Bryant killed...and never even give Johnson a chance despite the fact that Cooper never came close to getting it done. Wut?
3) Cooper (and Bryant, too often) kept missing blitzers coming right up the A gap despite the fact that 'Cuse had been doing it all night. Wut?
4) Also...yeah, you wanna establish the run, but why does Tony Elliot keep running it up the gut when they're repeatedly bringing the aforementioned multiple guys through the A-gap?
5) Elliot then made the decision to abandon the run despite the fact that it was getting more than 10 yards per carry, especially when we ran outside the tackles, because, you know, all those guys flying up the A-gap. Wut?
6) Ray Ray lost yet another fumble (again!) though it was recovered, and Cain continued to drop balls...and yet their positions are seemingly unassailable. Wut?
7) Lost count of the inexcusable, boneheaded personal-foul/late-hit penalties by our DL, especially Austin Bryant. Wut?
8) Syracuse - Syracuse! - was blasting it between the tackles on the ground, even though those tackles were Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins. Wut?
9) Kendall Joseph and Dorian O'Daniel failed repeatedly to get the runner or QB on the ground, giving up a myriad of first-downs in the process. Wut?
10) There was - once again - a litany of boneheaded plays by Tanner Muse. He made some plays, yup. He also busted coverages, got personal fouls, took some bad angles and got fried repeatedly. "Bad judgment" seems to be his norm.
10) There were some inexplicable busts by guys like Ryan Carter who are ordinarily money. It looked like he was in nickel and was the one who busted on that long TD pass.
11) Mark Fields repeatedly gave 15-yard cushions on 3rd-and-11...and gave up 12 yards. On one of them I watched Dabo tear Mike Reed's head almost clean off. I would have too. Wut?
12) Getting tired of repeatedly watching Spence hook kicks. Wut? And this guy was scholarship from the get-go? How'd we miss our evaluation on a bloody kicker that badly? What they do is pretty straightforward, no excuse to miss that badly.

And, oh, yeah....

13) Our punter made a terrible decision on what was clearly a "kick-throw option" to force the ball to Tanner Muse...who, predictably, didn't come up with it. Wut the...

...anyhoo, you add it all up and you get one of those head-scratching losses. You get the idea. But it was definitely not our coaches' finest hour.

Hopefully they got all their hubris for the season out in one giant swoop, and will learn from it henceforth, because that one was painful to watch.

Indeed!***

Oct 14, 2017, 12:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: As far as not putting Hunter in... ]

Yep. What I've heard from the practice watchers is that Hunter is sumpremly talented not so much a commitment to being better than Cooper but at this point that may be moot. Also 9 and 4 are really baffling points that will be overlooked because of the QB controversy.

Nice post quozzel, you forgot attrocious FG kicking

Oct 14, 2017, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: As far as not putting Hunter in... ]

we knew it would lose us a game.

The fact of the matter is if we do the opposite o half of those things, we're happy right now

Lack of down field passing puzzles me _

Oct 14, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: As far as not putting Hunter in... ]

Especially given relative success when attempted.

We are bad at picking up blitzes and sometimes simple stunts.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: As far as not putting Hunter in... ]

Sweet pea, you really need to get a life! It’s a game, seriously go outside and get some fresh air... Surprisingly the sun did come out this morning and you’re obviously still alive !

Oct 14, 2017, 1:03 PM

Well after 2-3 possessions last night it couldn't have gotten any worse.
Cooper missed wide open WRs and if not for 2-3 unbelievable catches by hunter R was just terrible.
It was pretty clear ZC could not get us into the End zone.
So yeah HJ should have got at least a chance last night.

Renfrow in open on almost ever play in the slot

Oct 14, 2017, 1:39 PM

His routes are precise and cuts are quick, if QB is on time with him then there is no chance to stop it. Cooper was looking for HR on several throws but had FAR too much power and overthrew him. It's nice to see Cooper find the open man but he needs to prove he can complete the passes down the field which he has not done.

Renfrow is such a weapon, Alabama knows about him and nobody could handle him. What a player, walk-on at that. Love the guy, scrappy and guts to go along with his talent.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong but Hunter to Hunter could be an unstoppable force. Opens up the over the top throws which opens up the run game for Feaster/ETN/Choice/Fuller. I'm not sure how I'm wrong in saying this but HJ is Clemson Tigers best pure passer but apparently he is not ready to be unleashed. Maybe someday we will see it but Renfrow only has 6/7/8 games left!!

Oct 14, 2017, 1:43 PM

If Hunter went in and lit up Syracuse Dabo would have a QB controversy.
I just cant believe Cooper and Feaster should be in the game while Hunter and ETN rides the pine.

at least give Hunter Johnson a chance, its as if the coaches think he is a scrub all while

Oct 14, 2017, 1:51 PM

Cooper is underthrow here and overthrow there everywhere a poor throw. Cooper seems to need more time to get confident while every chance HJ has had he looks extremely capable of leading the team. Not sure what gives but the Dabo line " Zerrick is our #2 guy" is weak at best. Is that a reason or an excuse coach ??

You say controversy I say we might have WON last night and who

Oct 14, 2017, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: As far as not putting Hunter in... ]

gives a crap what media/writers/twitterverse says anyway. Now the "controversy" is his lack of giving a QB his chance to show he could shine. Cooper was not the answer and it has been evident all year that Cooper has not performed during his time on field as well as Hunter Johnson has. Period!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 1:54 PM

Just FYI, ETN was not riding the pine; he pulled a hamstring so he was out for injury. But when he was in there, he ran by blitzing linebackers who crushed our QB. But man when he hits the open field with the ball........JOY JOY JOY!!!

But while we need to reflect on our tremendous success in the last few years, we must do so with complete analysis. Sure the staff have given us the best years ever. But at times, they do have a knack for doing things that we all see and know are just bad choices. Bubble screens, for example - have worked 0% of the time this year!! And look at 2014 - sure DW4 ended up starting later in the season. But the hole was already dug by then. We still had a tremendous season at 10-3 with a top tier bowl win over a blue blood program. I keep hearing/reading that Cooper throws a nice deep ball but I haven't seen one yet. I think HJ may be worth the risk just to see if he can bring that to the table. Because we don't have much of deep threat right now....IMHO.

Go Tigers!!!

Oct 14, 2017, 2:32 PM

That little screen was chiseled permanently into our play book by none other than Baby Bowden. We have become very predicable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic