Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Army-Navy Game story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,777

Army-Navy Game story

Dec 10, 2020, 11:00 PM

In 1968 I was a Captain in the army and was engaged to a girl whose dad (a colonel) was attending the Army War College in Carlisle PA. He got tickets to the Army/Navy game for his wife, daughter and I. Growing up I had always rooted for Navy, and when I told told him that he went ballistic. He had his undergrad from the MD, and his Masters from Alabama, but was an adamant Army fan for this. I found out that for most of the O-6 and higher regarded the Army/Navy game as a more important rivalry than Clemson/USC alumni even though most of them didn't attend West Point.

I went to the game and froze my rear off and was sitting in the middle of the Army War College class routing for Navy. Needless to say I didn't cheer very loudly. I forget who won put the pageantry of the cadets and midshipmen stays in my mind. If you ever have the chance to go I highly recommend it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Army-Navy Game story

Dec 10, 2020, 11:38 PM

strongly agree.through our friendship with donald j. fitzpatrick,my family and i were able to attend several army-navy games and a few at west point as well.don played for army back in the 50's,an o lineman,and remained well connected to the program throughout his life.most of the A-N games that we attended were played in philadelphia,but one was in the redskins stadium,the coldest i've ever been at a football game.unfortunately,army lost every A-N game that we saw,much to don's chagrin.my most vivid memory was from the navy fly-over in the eagles stadium.it seemed like the jets were almost flying through the stadium,and the noise was so loud that my eardrums hurt,and i had to cup my ears.had never heard anything that loud before or since.having spent 3 yrs. active duty at fort jackson i had no trouble cheering for army.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 10, 2020, 11:41 PM

forgot to mention that the games we saw were in the early part of the 2000's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I attended the 1993 Army Navy game at Giants Stadium

Dec 10, 2020, 11:48 PM

before retiring from the Army. Went with a Navy friend/family sitting in an entire Navy section. Thoroughly enjoyed the pageantry on both sides. Army won the game 16-14 a the navy kicker missed a chip shot at the end. I guess he served in submarines after that miss. Did attend several Navy - Air Force games in Annapolis when my son went to AF Academy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2020, 5:07 AM

I have an inlaw that is retired Army ,my Dad was Navy,an uncle who was in the Marines, another uncle in the navy, my late grandfather was a dough boy with Gen. Pershing, my nephew spent 4 years in the Corp, but none of that matters.
Nope. My hero as a young boy growing up in the 60's was Roger Staubach.
GO NAVY. Beat ARMY.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,777
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic