Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aren't named player jerseys "illegal"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Aren't named player jerseys "illegal"?

Jul 9, 2013, 4:05 PM

Working a summer job at a super market here in Alabama and we just got a HUGE shipment of "officially licensed" Alabama jerseys with some Auburn thrown in and 1 pack of USuC jerseys (### really?).

All of the Alabama jerseys have either a "10" on them with the name "McCarron" written on them or "42" with "Lacey" on them.
The Auburn jerseys just have a generic "1" printed on them, but the few USuC jerseys have a "7" with "Clowney" written on them.

I may be wrong or the rule may have changed, but didn't the NCAA ban jerseys with players names on them because that is technically violating the rules on endorsements and profitting from a player? After all, Watkins got in trouble 2 years ago when someone put his face on a night club flyer he never even knew about.
I'm pretty sure it is illegal per NCAA by laws to put a players name on a jersey. I know putting just the number is a loop hole since it isn't a name, and numbers can change, but I thought names were not okay.

I see people walking around in these jerseys all the time too. Saw a 4 year old in a Clowney one, made me physically ill.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aren't named player jerseys "illegal"?

Jul 9, 2013, 4:19 PM

Doing a quick google search, I'm going to say it is allowed. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=college+%232+tajh+boyds+jerseys&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20130709121350

There aren't any in Clemson. Just plain #2, 6, 10, and 23***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2013, 4:36 PM

Old article, who knows, the rules may have changed by now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1774259

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Jul 9, 2013, 4:45 PM

I was under the impression it was,just like the players in the NCAA football video games don't have names due to it being considered profit on a current student athletes name.

Re: Re: Aren't named player jerseys "illegal"?

Jul 9, 2013, 4:58 PM

I've read that. Hence why Clowney, Manziel, or Logan Thomas (though I doubt they could fit his height on the cover) couldn't be on the NCAA video game covers. They only use players that have already graduated.

If a player has to have graduated to be on a cover,

Jul 9, 2013, 6:34 PM

then Clowney will never meet that qualification. ;(

Jul 9, 2013, 5:53 PM

The names are aftermarket or simply fakes like most of the jerseys sold on ebay. You cannot use a players name on the jersey.

You also cannot use a player currently playing to promote something. However, they can appear on the front of a pre-season mag. I have never really understood that one.

Jul 9, 2013, 6:15 PM

I'm on meal break now, I'll try to snag a picture when I get back.

I'm at a major super market chain, not a mom and pop shop. There are probably 100 McCarron jerseys, all of which have a tag saying they are "officially licensed apparrel" by the University of Alabama. I've seen the same jerseys in other stores.

Granted when current and former players admit to using steroids in the locker room with the coaches knowledge over the past 4 years at Bama and the NCAA ignores it, well, I'm sure with the amount of money UA spends they can pay their way out of trouble with anything.

NCAA Committee on Infractions--Link's

Jul 9, 2013, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Aren't named player jerseys "illegal"? ]

Remember with the NCAA it's more about the whom and not the what

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/People/

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Process/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there you have it! an sec associate ad sitting on the

Jul 9, 2013, 7:22 PM

infractions committee- gregory sankey. he must have a good bit of influence on the other committee members, for the sec to come up smelling like a rose after playing with shi-it, time, after time ,after time, and ... now ga.tech, turn over that division title and lose a few schollies and don't ever let 250.00 worth of gear be sold by a couple kids again!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2013, 6:36 PM

Not if the NCAA gets their cut.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're called knock offs. The knock off market is….

Jul 9, 2013, 6:56 PM

booming because of the increasing prices of jerseys. Knock offs often have tags on them saying they are official merchandise.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can make a shirt/jersey and put whatever you want on it

Jul 9, 2013, 7:33 PM

It is you who stands the risk of being sued for using someone else for profittable gain.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Follow me to the oculus, it will know the answer!

Jul 9, 2013, 7:56 PM

What? Looks like it may be a few years before we have an answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic