Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net?

Jan 29, 2021, 1:46 PM

My question for you is, have you ever replace the trigger, and put a spring kit in for a lighter trigger pull. On my wifes M&P Shield, the trigger pull is 7-lbs from the factory. Bc of arthritis in her hands, and fingers, her grouping from 15 yards has gone all over the place, and we had noticed over the years that it was starting to spread out, but now it's awful. I ordered a 3 to sub 4 enhanced trigger and spring kit to lighten the trigger pull for her bc I have noticed her hand shaking a little right before she gets to the breaking point of the bang.

Are there any tips that I need to know before I put this new trigger/spring kit in her M&P 40 Shield. And if you have ever done this job yourself, is there anything I must know before hand. It looks pretty simple, but I have never broke her gun down that far just cleaning it....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net?

Jan 29, 2021, 2:07 PM

Not an M&P but have done the job on a janky Smith and Wesson Sigma. Not sure what all you are replacing, but I upgraded the seer spring trigger spring and recoil spring in the gun. All relatively easy and plenty of youtube videos, but I caution you when doing it be sure to fire plenty of rounds through the gun once complete. I started to get light strikes with the firing pin a 50 to 100 shots after completion again not the same gun I understand but just some things I would look for.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 2:46 PM

All of the S&W Sigmas came equipped with janky. Worst trigger pull I’ve ever experienced. I fixed it though. Traded it for a Sig.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 3:41 PM

Even their newer models, the SDVE, has a crazy heavy trigger. Like 9lbs. They say it’s on purpose so nobody will accidentally pull the trigger, which is pretty stupid.

Jan 29, 2021, 4:21 PM

The M&P models are a much better upgrade over the SDVE models. I had a SDVE 40, and I hated it bc even with the best ammo, that sucker would jam. We have put over 500 rounds through the M&P Shield with all types of ammo, and never, not once has it ever jammed!!! We was firing target loads one day, and the blast sounded muffled, and the projectile went about 10 feet, and fell to the ground, and it still ejected the empty cartridge. I was totally sold on the M&P Shield after that!!! I still have that projectile without any damage to it....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 7:46 PM

Agree, the M&P line is great. I had a SDVE9. It only had a few stove pipes and FTFs, but still more than my Shield or M&P Compact did, which was zero.

Jan 29, 2021, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net? ]

I'm changing sear, safety striker block with a new machined sear, and strike block, striker block spring, striker spring, trigger return spring, and a new aluminum solid trigger. I'm actually rebuilding the entire trigger block, and the striker block with machined parts, plus I'm going to polish those parts before installing with the new springs. The guy at Apex told me, that once I did this, that the trigger pull would be crisp, with a shorter trigger reset, and with a much lighter trigger pull!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 2:40 PM

I had a Shield. I never replaced the trigger, but I wouldn’t imagine it would be too hard. I’m guessing you bought an Apex to drop in? Check this video out, or any on YouTube. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/lJeml_IvXBk

That's a snappy howto

Jan 29, 2021, 2:51 PM

Very good of you. +1

Jan 29, 2021, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net? ]

Thanks for the video! I just found another video from M*Carbo, and I wish that I would have found this before I purchased the Apex kit bc, just the spring kit from them is cheaper, but you have to do the finish work to the sear, and safety block yourself. But in their video, it looks to be pretty easy, and it would have saved me a lot of money. I know better now, oh well, I should have done a better search before I went to Apex, but the guy where my wife bought her shield instructed me to go too for the trigger enhancement kit. The video at M*Carbo looks I bit more informative!!!

https://www.mcarbo.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-trigger-upgrade-kit-9mm-357-40-cal.aspx?utm_campaign=Browse%20Abandonment%3A%20Email%20%231%20%28HL5Pcw%29&utm_medium=flow-email&utm_source=Browse%20Abandonment%20-%20Standard&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkpTWUE5OSIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJoYmVhY2hAc2MucnIuY29tIn0%3D

Jan 29, 2021, 7:49 PM

You did the right thing. The Apex trigger is a great upgrade and when it comes down to life or death, spending the money is the right thing to do. I’m sure your wife will enjoy it too.

Jan 29, 2021, 3:21 PM

Maybe size down to 9mm. Less muzzle flip IMO. About the same stopping power. Also I have about 1500 rnds through my Taurus G3C not a single failure. LOVE THE TRIGGER. it came with 3 mags and they are double stack so more capacity. Out the door with a holster I was less than $350.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 3:49 PM

Another option to consider is a change in weapon and/or caliber. Shield has a pretty wide grip, in general, ladies hands are smaller which can also cause a lack of accuracy and the arthritis surely isn't helping. Perhaps consider a single stacked pistol or revolver. There are many on the market today in different calibers and she may find that she has better accuracy from them. Personally I am a big fan of the glock 48, 43X and 43. With 9mm+P+ ammo, you are getting plenty of stopping power if that is a concern from the 9mm. Or if you prefer something larger, XDS makes a 45 in single stack that is very popular and glock does too. These are just a couple examples.

I say this assuming this is something she is going to be carrying around in a concealed fashion so there is the added benefit of an easier to hide weapon. On a side note, I personally am not a fan of having a lighter trigger pull on something that is used to carry concealed. They get moved around a lot more and I personally like the idea of the trigger not being super easy to move. But that's just me.

If this is only for home defense and the trigger solves the issue, well that is the cheapest route to go for sure.

Best of luck getting the problem solved All Orange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 5:03 PM

Thank you, and I think that if you read up on the shield, you will find that it is one of the better sub compact pistols on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6CVf1TKZyE

Jan 29, 2021, 5:48 PM

Most definitely, I hope I didn't come across as disparaging the Shield, certainly wasn't my intention if so. I was just coming from an ergonomical angle (been a while since holding a shield but I thought I remembered it being wider in the grip than the others mentioned) and as mentioned above the muzzle flip on a 9mm may help with accuracy as well. But if she likes the shield and is already comfortable with the ergonomics etc, she could just get the 9mm version. Can never have too many guns you know! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2021, 10:14 AM

I thought nothing like that, I was just saying we have owned the M&P Shield right after S&W came out with them, and when comparing them with another handgun in it's same class, it will be hard finding another better. It is a sturdy, tight, very capable weapon that you can trust when need, and hopefully we never need it!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net? ]

The Shield is a single stack.

Jan 29, 2021, 5:06 PM

I really thank you all for comments!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 5:24 PM

bought my shield 9 over 6 yrs. ago,and while i like it a lot,have found the opposite situation from your's.the trigger is very light,so i take extra caution when handling,always keeping the index finger off until ready to shoot.have a .380 which is my preferred carry-smaller to conceal and still packs a pretty good punch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 29, 2021, 5:38 PM

I know that the M&P Shield 2.0 has 5.5 lb trigger pull, but my wife bought her 1.0 long before the 2.0 came out, and the 1.0 Shield has a factory 7 lb trigger. Now, maybe the later 1.0 shields had the lighter 5.5, but I don't know that for sure. The biggest difference in the 1.0 and the 2.0 is the triggers, and the back strap is changeable, and other than that, they are the same!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net? ]

My wife had the choice of the 9 or 40, she chose the 40, and she loves it. Getting older, and the arthritis doing it's thing, she was having problems pulling the trigger, but she won't once I get the trigger kit in hers!!! It will go from a 7lb pull, to a 3 1/2 to sub 4lb pull. That will be 3 to 3 1/2 lbs less than what it is now!!!!

Jan 29, 2021, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Are there any M&P Shield gun owners on T-Net? ]

My wife had the choice of the 9 or 40, she chose the 40, and she loves it. Getting older, and the arthritis doing it's thing, she was having problems pulling the trigger, but she won't once I get the trigger kit in hers!!! It will go from a 7lb pull, to a 3 1/2 to sub 4lb pull. That will be 3 to 3 1/2 lbs less than what it is now!!!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic