Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field?

Sep 21, 2018, 12:18 PM

Going to Atlanta tomorrow with my brother. I mention that 77 game because I haven't been back to Grant Field since then. I don't know who was favored then but the Tigers walked all over the Bees that day and I assumed it was a huge upset . I was not aware at the time that the Tigers had rarely won in Atlanta .I was pretty young. If I remember correctly the Tigers made it into the Top 20 after that game and that was their first ranked team since 1959?Also the Bees were joining the ACC but Clemson would not be playing them again till 83 right? What was the reason for that ?Anyone remember? What I do remember most is how big the win seemed and riding back up I 85 and giving the thumbs up to all the Tigers fans as we all rode home .Great stuff ! Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't even born then***

Sep 21, 2018, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Same reason you didn't go in 2003.

Sep 21, 2018, 12:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field?

Sep 21, 2018, 12:26 PM

I was there. We had beaten Ga and likely were favored but we did smack them that day. Birth of the $2 bills that day. End of the contract until GT joined ACC later.

Sep 21, 2018, 12:39 PM

For the life of me I don't have any first hand memory of the Georgia game that year and I know it's the game that many Clemson fans say was the "Big Bang" that birthed modern Clemson football.I had to have listened to it (good ole Jim Phillips!) on the radio but I can't recall . lol

CU 7 - UGA 6 ... in the drizzle ... in Athens. Our first

Sep 21, 2018, 4:15 PM

Our first win over there in ... well, FOREVER!!!

What a great day! What a great SEASON!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was not there, but...

Sep 21, 2018, 12:28 PM

... I remember it being sort of a breakout game for Jerry Butler. Laid the groundwork for his All American career.

Sep 21, 2018, 12:34 PM

Tree Rollins was there at Bobby Dodd in the middle of a fight behind the end zone.

Tech freshman with beanie caps on were chasing the Tiger trying to get his tail. He had to sit in the middle of Tiger Band so he would not be harassed.

BD had wooden seats back then. 2 x 10's with plenty of splinters.

Sep 21, 2018, 1:50 PM

I was there with a bus load of chem Es. Tree and a guy named Thad Allen (and several other Clemson athletes who were sitting in the end zone) went down to protect the Tiger from losing his tail to the GT beanie wearers. There were well over a hundred GT students converging around the Tiger and Thad Allen started punching them (arms like pistons and lights out). He nailed at least 5 of them and they chose to retreat back to the east side of the stadium. As a consolation prize, Clemson won big that day. Those were the days of good offensive lines that could always make a positive push.

Thanks to the OP for reliving those memories.

Thad (Sweet Thaddy Daddy) Allen looked like

Sep 21, 2018, 2:08 PM

a building with arms and legs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Sep 21, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field? ]

I was a fraternity pledge and went on the field as the student sections clashed. My only assault ashamed to say was pushing a Tech student in the back. It was a little rowdy for a pregame!

Sep 21, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field? ]

I was a fraternity pledge and went on the field as the student sections clashed. My only assault ashamed to say was pushing a Tech student in the back. It was a little rowdy for a pregame!

Was there as well right in the middle of the fight

Sep 21, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field? ]

Tree was grabbing the beanies and pounding them on the head. Great time!
If I remember right the Tiger was going after them as well, he ended up with a little bloody nose but delivered many more than he took.
We sent them back to their seats empty handed!
Sure glad Jesus changed my life as I don’t believe there is such a thing anymore where you can have a “good natured” brawl and no one gets stabbed or shot! The good ole days!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone go to the 77 game at Grant Field? ]

The Tiger that year was a very close friend, Randy Addison (rip). I invited him up into the Tiger Band for protection from the GT Rats. We wound up putting the Tiger suit inside a bass drum (case) to smuggle it out of Grant Field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as I remember it

Sep 21, 2018, 8:39 PM

One of the Tech freshmen tried to grab our big flag. I remember watching him on our side of the field and wondering what he was doing there. Some of the Bball players must have been watching too, because as soon as he put his hand on it one of them (Stan Rome?) hit him square in the jaw. That is when all hell broke loose. It has been a while, anyone else have a better recollection?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 1:07 PM

I was there. Great game , even better time. Although we had defeated the pups, gt was convinced they would thumps bad, to remind of us our place. We proved them wrong.

Yeah, I was there.***

Sep 21, 2018, 1:10 PM

Sep 21, 2018, 2:01 PM

I was there. My first game at BD. The Tigers came of age that day and laid the groundwork for the special season that followed in ‘78. Fuller and Butler showed out and our offense was spectacular. We had showed flashes during the earlier games but turnovers had plagued us. Once we started taking care of the ball, it was evident how potent the offense could be.

Sep 21, 2018, 2:54 PM

I was there and so was Lester Brown!!

Sep 21, 2018, 4:55 PM

I was there. Lester Brown (Rubber Duck) showed out that day... I think it was 31 to 14 Tigers... Going on Google now to see if I remembered right...

No, but I was at the '76 game that ended in a tie.***

Sep 21, 2018, 4:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 8:00 PM

I took $140 in $2 bills. Yep, I was obnoxious on that day.

Sep 21, 2018, 10:31 PM

No, my first trip there was the 1979 Tech-Navy game the day Clemson beat Notre Dame. During the Tech game I had been more interested in watching police cars go past the stadium than the action on the field, but I very clearly remember sitting in traffic in my Dad's car listening to the end of the Clemson game. :)

I did....***

Sep 21, 2018, 10:40 PM

JB caught a bomb!!!***

Sep 21, 2018, 10:40 PM

Sep 21, 2018, 11:07 PM

The band I was in had gigs in Atlanta that weekend. We all took $2 bills to pay our hotel bills. When we checked out of our hotel Sunday, there were stacks of the $2 bills behind the counter. They weren’t too happy about it.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic