Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any recommendations on a youth rifle?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 91
| visibility 1

Any recommendations on a youth rifle?

Dec 11, 2016, 12:41 PM

I'm looking to get one for my son that I would love to be quality enough to be passed on. I would imagine my daughter will use it after him but then I imagine giving it to my son's son assuming that happens. Anyways thoughts on a nice rifle that isn't ridiculously expensive but that is good quality? Guessing I'd use a .243 caliber.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle?

Dec 11, 2016, 12:42 PM

Ruger .223 carbine . I was given one as a teenager and I've had it for over 25 years and it's like new

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suzie is partial to mac 10's on the side of her hip***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock

Dec 11, 2016, 12:44 PM

Here is why. As he grows you can replace upper with calibres up to .450 now and maybe more later. Low recoil great accuracy, can learn on iron sights then go to optics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock

Dec 11, 2016, 1:01 PM

He said he wanted to be able to pass it down to his Son's son.

ARs will be banned long before his grandson is old enough to shoot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

how about an AR 56-7?***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:05 PM

I just spit my tea out!!!!***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:10 PM

Best caliber there is....but...

Dec 11, 2016, 5:52 PM [ in reply to how about an AR 56-7?*** ]

...I hear the AR63-17 was a great one in its day! :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those Ban's Only Apply to Felons Which I Get Would Apply

Dec 11, 2016, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock ]

Mostly to Chicken Grads. We Clemson folk will be good to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do you think ar 15's will be banned***

Dec 11, 2016, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liberal pipe dreams.***

Dec 12, 2016, 3:23 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why do you think ar 15's will be banned***

Dec 12, 2016, 6:13 PM [ in reply to why do you think ar 15's will be banned*** ]

Because he's not only a coot he must be a left wing libtard also. Probably thinks AR stands for assault rifle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and it's black and scary looking***

Dec 12, 2016, 9:56 PM

Because they're black. That makes them spooky ??***

Dec 13, 2016, 5:42 AM [ in reply to why do you think ar 15's will be banned*** ]

Nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock

Dec 12, 2016, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock ]

Can't imagine why? Because it looks scary. It's a semi automatic. I don't understand the beef with the AR and for ladies it kicks a lot less

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

No it won't, keep dreaming libtard***

Dec 13, 2016, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: AR-15 w/Collapsible Stock ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2016, 12:45 PM

After a lot of research I bought a Ruger American a couple years ago and love it for the price.

I got the 30-06, not sure if there is a .243 version but I know it comes in .270.

Dec 12, 2016, 10:02 PM

It comes in .243

i just bought my 9 year old son a

Dec 11, 2016, 12:47 PM

Ruger .243 Compact American Rifle. It's short and fairly lightweight and relatively economical at $399.

Ruger 10/22 takedown***

Dec 11, 2016, 12:48 PM

Re: Ruger 10/22 takedown***

Dec 11, 2016, 12:53 PM

Winchester Youth Model. Wood stock and not synthetic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ruger makes 10/22 in wood stock or synthetic***

Dec 11, 2016, 12:59 PM

You want the official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!***

Dec 11, 2016, 12:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then he'll shoot his eye out. Dumb ####!***

Dec 11, 2016, 12:59 PM

Ho ho ho***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:18 PM

Dec 11, 2016, 12:57 PM

Ruger makes a great rifle. The Compact or Model 77 Mk ll in .243 for a kid & it will serve him well for a lifetime of whitetail deer hunting. Very accurate also. Also consider the Ruger Mini-14 in .223 & Savage makes a very nice youth model rifle with adjustable trigger in several caliber. I'd get one with all-weather stock

7mm Weatherby Mag or a 300 Weatherby Mag if they can

Dec 11, 2016, 12:58 PM

handle a bit of a kick.

Ill remember this when I take him elk hunting and he

Dec 11, 2016, 1:02 PM

Has a little more lead in his breeches!

hehe. .243 if wanting to hunt. 223 for targets, if they r

Dec 11, 2016, 1:05 PM

youngsters. .243 is a bit light for deer but def works

Guess I could've gave more info he has been

Dec 11, 2016, 1:09 PM

Borrowing my bro in laws for the past two years for white tail. It is a tiger .243 but they had a close friend who was a gun smith and he put a little longer stock on it and did a few other mods. It's a really nice weight for him. Killed his first deer last year with it. Unfortunately their friend moved out west somewhere and they aren't in close contact anymore

.243 Rem mag may be an idea- not quite as pricey as a Weath

Dec 11, 2016, 1:13 PM

but is magnum. Helpful for the smaller cal if wanting to hunt

.243 is not light for whitetail hunting

Dec 11, 2016, 5:51 PM [ in reply to hehe. .243 if wanting to hunt. 223 for targets, if they r ]

it's pretty much a perfect load for whitetail even for a grown man. flat shooting, long range & plenty of power for a thin skinned animal like a deer. most guys around here feel like they have to shoot .30-06 or 7 mag to prove they're a man lol.

Totally agree! I should say a bit light for big game. .270

Dec 12, 2016, 1:50 PM

would be a good choice as well for big game- Fantastic ballistics and is plenty.

Re: 7mm Weatherby Mag or a 300 Weatherby Mag if they can

Dec 11, 2016, 1:06 PM [ in reply to 7mm Weatherby Mag or a 300 Weatherby Mag if they can ]

??I'm 40, 215lbs, & don't enjoy shooting a 300 mag! I can imagine his daughter shooting it and his son really enjoy getting their shoulders broken!!

I couldn't rule out him being in Griz country hehe***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:11 PM

Got my hunter's crescent from a 7mm Remington***

Dec 11, 2016, 8:41 PM [ in reply to 7mm Weatherby Mag or a 300 Weatherby Mag if they can ]

If it is his first rifle, I would get him a .22...kind of a

Dec 11, 2016, 1:02 PM

rite of passage for young boys and girls learning to shoot. I like the Browning automatic that loads from the butt, but they are fairly expensive. If you want a real "keeper" buy an earlier one made in Belgium. I have several of them that are new in the box that are going to my grandsons as soon as they are able. You can still find them on Gun List, guns shows, etc.

Nice I bet they'll love it!***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:03 PM

.22 is not legal for deer though is it?

Dec 11, 2016, 1:09 PM [ in reply to If it is his first rifle, I would get him a .22...kind of a ]

love the Belgium made Browning idea. I have 2 sweet 16's and r my favorites(shotguns)

Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle?***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:07 PM

Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle?***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:08 PM
image.gif(95.8 K)

30-30 or Remington 243. I passed on my 30-30 to my son

Dec 11, 2016, 1:17 PM

and he shoots it well. He also killed 2 deer with my 270 this year but it is a little heavy for him @ 10 years old. His next rifle will be a Remington 243. Remington has a compact rifle based on the 700 and it has light recoil. I think that it is a better lasting rifle than the Savage Axis or Ruger American.

Ruger 10/22 with a red dot optic and a bipod.***

Dec 11, 2016, 1:24 PM

Dec 11, 2016, 1:55 PM

You'll put your eye out!

Henry lever action .22 rifle

Dec 11, 2016, 2:00 PM

Hard to go wrong. Lots of different versions and editions. Shoot great!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How old is your son, and what do you want him to do with it?

Dec 11, 2016, 2:20 PM

T-mail me if you'd like and I'll help you out best I can.

He's 11 and primarily just for routine whitetail hunting

Dec 11, 2016, 2:34 PM

Have thought about .243, 30-30, or is it a 6mm-08?? I've kind of thought I'd like a more traditional weapon like a Woodstock. But if someone who knows better says that the stainless are actually better and will be in the family longer I'll listen. If it matters, I love out of state now Bc military. I will Tmail you later but never done it before and am doing this on my phone may prefer to mess with it on the computer.

A lot depends on the boy. My old son is very tough and

Dec 11, 2016, 2:47 PM

loves hunting every chance he gets. His first rifle (at 10) was a Ruger 10-22.
When he got into deer hunting (at 14) he wanted a 7mm Rem Mag because he liked its exceptional ballistics. I got him a stainless Savage which he loves. It has the great factory Accutriger and a nice tang safety which is silent to the deer, and he can feel better about hunting in the rain. It came with a decent Nikon scope which will do until he invests in a better one. He's never missed a deer with it and loves the rifle.

I bought my younger son a .243 (when he was 10) because we already several 22's and he wanted a "real" rifle. I had never owned a .243 before and thought of it as girl or kids gun but it's a very flat shooting rifle and great on whitetails in the South, plus it has relatively little recoil, a little shorter barrel, and is not quite as loud as the heavier calibers. I even "borrow" it from him from time to time when I want a light rifle and it is a very accurate caliber. I bought him a Ruger American which I got a great deal on and it is one of the nicer "introductory" rifles.

Be careful because some intro rifles are junk. Talk to a salesman you can trust or to friends that know a lot about rifles and are impartial.

Dec 11, 2016, 2:53 PM

I bought my daughter a 7mm-08. The recoil is equal to a 243 and you can also buy reduced recoil rounds. I would look at a rifle by Tikka. Extremely accurate and durable. Should be 600 or less.

Been to gander mountain and academy sports. Do you

Dec 11, 2016, 3:32 PM

Guess you have to go to a more specialized gun dealer to get some of the different caliber a.

Check out Palmetto Armory, they have several stores around SC.

Dec 11, 2016, 5:24 PM

null

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/

Dec 11, 2016, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Been to gander mountain and academy sports. Do you ]

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/

Dec 11, 2016, 4:32 PM

I bought a 7mm-08 for my daughter. My wife shoots a .243. The 7mm-08 carries a bit more knock down power. .243 is faster, flatter shooting but I hunt in sc Lowcountry so most shots are 100-200yards. We all shoot Browning Abolt 2's. The 3's have a plastic magazine from what I've been told.

Ruger 10/22 is excellent but...

Dec 11, 2016, 4:46 PM

...if he doesn't appreciate each every shot he will make then get a single shot bolt. Ruger 10/22 was my first rifle in 1978. Still have it!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2016, 5:03 PM

I wish I still had my Nylon 66 Remington. Prolly best firearm I ever had. Simple, easy to maintain, cheap to shoot, dang durable, and very accurate. Great first rifle, but not for deer naturally.

Dec 11, 2016, 6:43 PM

I have a couple of Remington model seven .243 and they are tack drivers. I use federal .85 grain spit tail and killed every deer I shot at. Longest was 217 yards. Great gun! I also have a Ruger no 1 243 and it is also a good gun. Just harder to load for multiple deer at one time!

Thanks. I was just looking online at a

Dec 11, 2016, 7:42 PM

Remington 7 it is a nice looking weapon. I'm imterested probably in a .243, 30-30, or 7 mm-08. People pick on the .243. But I've had good luck with it. Maybe had to track one or two early in my hunting career but my son was borrowing one last year and it dropped. Granted it was a medium at best sized doe at 50-60 yds or so.

Re: Thanks. I was just looking online at a

Dec 11, 2016, 7:51 PM

I shoot most all of mine in the neck ...clean kill and never have to track them. Chest shot and they walk a little. Nice rifle.

hands down the Henry 30-30

Dec 11, 2016, 7:56 PM

I use one and can knock a deer down up to 175 yards which is all you need. The new leverlution ammo with pointed tips are hotter and flatter. Sight it in at 1.5" high at 100 and it will be 2" low at 175 which means no correction needed. Ammo is dirt cheap too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check out this site

Dec 11, 2016, 8:06 PM

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/

got a rifle from them about 25% cheaper than local

.243 is a great caliber for youth or adult, assuming you're

Dec 12, 2016, 3:27 PM

deer hunting with it. I shot a Remington for years, and had no trouble. I'm shooting a Weatherby now, and it's been a very good rifle, although it's a .270.

Don't skimp on the scope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It is for whitetail. You may have read but

Dec 12, 2016, 3:37 PM

Trying to come get a nicer one that my son can keep and hand down to his son if/when that happens. I do like the .243. Has been very accurate for me.

Yes, they are very accurate. Don't think you can go wrong

Dec 12, 2016, 3:38 PM

with a .243.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

the only negative is it won't be enough if one decides on a

Dec 12, 2016, 5:52 PM

big-game hunting trip out West. The only negative I can think of if that is 1 for you guys...

Red Ryder***

Dec 12, 2016, 3:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Dec 12, 2016, 3:43 PM

Depends on the age. A 223 will kill anything in South Carolina and has relatively no recoil. Great for anyone under 14. I still use one myself occasionally. Last buck killed with the 223 was a 198# 9 point measuring 128 7/8. I wouldn't go any higher than a 243 for a first gun.

Get him/her a bow next year.

Good idea on the bow. If he's left-handed he can have mine

Dec 12, 2016, 5:56 PM

it's an old PSE but was top of the line in the 90's. Killed many a deer with that thing..

Dec 12, 2016, 3:48 PM

Daisy red rider, but be careful or you will shoot your eye out.

All said above - for the Price the .243 Ruger American - at

Dec 12, 2016, 6:33 PM

11 years old no problem with recoil - I have downsized to the .243 from .270 (which is probably a better all around rifle) because I like the bullet speed and lack of drop up to 250 yrds. Easy to hold steady. Let me stress: PUT YOUR MONEY ON THE SCOPE - He'll prob want a .270 upgrade later as a heads up - and if you only intend for him to have one gun - go ahead and go with the .270.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2016, 7:22 PM

Why can't we wait until our children are adults to give them adult things? Serious question.

Dec 12, 2016, 9:46 PM

> Why can't we wait until our children are adults to
> give them adult things? Serious question.

So don't let them learn how to drive until 21? Serious question

Dec 12, 2016, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle? ]

> Why can't we wait until our children are adults to
> give them adult things? Serious question.

So don't let them learn how to drive until 21? Serious question

It's a hunting rifle. It will be locked up, on safe

Dec 12, 2016, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle? ]

With bullets separated, all under my control. He cannot and will not access it without my permission. He will use it only when hunting whitetail. He will learn to be responsible with it this way. You don't give a man a rifle at 18 and hope he knows how to handle it. That's what's wrong with people. Just like you don't teach someone to drive at 16. My kid will be taught starting years before he's 16 and will know to take it seriously.

Dec 13, 2016, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Any recommendations on a youth rifle? ]

We found the liberal loser who doenst understand gun safety.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

The 243 is probably your best option

Dec 12, 2016, 10:04 PM

It shoots really flat and doesn't have much recoil. Once he has some success with the rifle buy him a compound bow, Bow hunting is the ultimate hunting. I don't enjoy hunting any other way now

Good advice. I'll be getting out of the military

Dec 12, 2016, 10:41 PM

Next year and will have more readily available land to hunt. I would like us to both pick up bow hunting then. I take it seriously and want to make sure we practice a lot first. Worst thing I could do is just injure one

Would suggest .22 as a first rifle. Best caliber to learn

Dec 12, 2016, 10:16 PM

Rifle skills on as well as being inexpensive and fun too shoot. My oldest boy got a Savage bolt action wood stock for his first and it is a really nice rifle for the money. My youngest asked Santa for a Ruger 10/22 last year, they are fun as well just a little more temperamental on ammo. There are a lot of shooting games/targets available for the .22. Also, squirrel hunting is a lot of fun for the kids, and Dad, more so than deer hunting in my opinion.

If you are set on a deer rifle, would suggest looking at the Mossberg Patriot in 7mm-08 (best east coast deer caliber) or .308 (managed recoil rounds are great for practice).

Just my two cents!

Great site full of info if you have the time... Link:

Dec 12, 2016, 11:13 PM

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Lots of articles and research about hunting, ballistics, etc....

Dec 12, 2016, 11:20 PM

A lot depends on whether you want a utilitarian rifle or you want a rifle that will be a true keepsake. Ruger American or Savage Axis II if you want Utilitarian. If you want a keepsake, Ruger77, Remington 700BDL, Browning X Bolt, CZ 550, Winchester 70.

...or a Tikka off the shelf.***

Dec 12, 2016, 11:25 PM

These Are Pretty Popular Now

Dec 12, 2016, 11:41 PM

Lord Vader Recommends For Hunting Taun Tauns

Dec 13, 2016, 6:24 AM

You'll put your eye out kid.

Dec 13, 2016, 6:49 AM

Another consideration is availability of ammo.

Having done hundreds of gun shows and having a shop for several years, the only real issue we've had in regards to firearms is ammo.

Keep in mind that the reason for the shortage wasn't any law passed or even close to passing. It was the perception that it could happen after certain events. While gun prices did go up, that was simply due to so many buyers entering the market during a 1-2 yr scare period instead of spacing it out over a more regular buying time-frame. One reason for low firearms prices now is because those buyers that would've purchased "jumped the gun" so to speak. (pardon the pun)

The ammo shortage, in spite of popular belief in some circles, had nothing to do with a gov't ammo buy.

At any given time during the "scare", I would have anywhere from 35-40 new and used firearms on my tables, constantly changing inventory.

Ammo was a different story however.

When manufacturers couldn't keep up with the increased demand, they adjusted production accordingly (and still couldn't keep up). i.e. - lines that might've been producing .22 mags began producing .22 LR as that round was in the most demand. The .223 round basically the same thing. Common target rounds replaced specialty rounds on production lines to try and keep up with demand, failing miserably due to the sheer numbers.

While we had a standard stream of customers purchasing firearms for youth, the "scare" increased that segment exponentially as parents reacting to availability were concerned enough to purchase for their children earlier than normal. Added to the regular purchase time-frame and everything got out of whack. This put numerous rounds, mainly the .243, into the same category as the .22 and .223 in regards to availability.

Having a wholesale account, I had open orders on all sorts of ammo as EVERYTHING was in high demand. This included tactical as well as hunting firearms and ammo.

The one common ammo that I was able to continually purchase and resell was 30-06. Most retailers, while having empty shelves would still have some 30-06 available.

I have no doubts that some scare will affect the gun/ammo market again at some point, but who knows. I can say without a doubt that thousands of fathers at gun shows and in my shop left both disappointed at not being able to purchase ammo for their sons .243/.223/.22 and others.

Food for thought.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still the most versatile and scalable round...***

Dec 13, 2016, 6:58 AM

I missed the part about the deer

Dec 13, 2016, 7:43 AM

So retract my earlier 10/22 suggestion. I would make a couple suggestions comments if deer is the main objective here: 1. Go bolt action. 2. Go above .30 caliber as many states require minimum .30 for hunting and if he makes any future trips to one of these states it's nice to not worry about it and 3. Don't worry about too much gun, within reason, because he is only getting older and bigger, will grow into it.

I'm not a large caliber person at all, truth be told in a 9mm .223 guy, BUT not for hunting (not talking small game here, deer and up).

Agree... Here's an all around fair deal w/optics... Link:

Dec 13, 2016, 8:07 AM

http://palmettostatearmory.com/savage-m-111-30-06-trophy-hunter-xp-22-bbl-w-nikon-3-9x40mm-scope-19690.html

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Re: Still the most versatile and scalable round...***

Dec 13, 2016, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Still the most versatile and scalable round...*** ]

absolutely... You can tailor the 30-06 to any situation. Which would be another great learning experience for your children.

That website I linked earlier is a wealth of info about

Dec 13, 2016, 8:20 AM

ballistics and specific rounds and is very easy to maneuver...+1.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Re: That website I linked earlier is a wealth of info about

Dec 13, 2016, 8:35 AM

Nice find. I hadn't got that far down in the responses yet but definitely a resource for enthusiasts.

While my background is overwhelmingly tactical, I grew up hunting and learned a ton through the gun shows, my own shop and research. I'll certainly add that site to my list.

You're obviously much more in tune than I am, but I had

Dec 13, 2016, 8:41 AM

an uncle (RIP) who I'd put up against anyone anywhere as far as deer hunting... He later hand-fed them wild off his back porch.

Dec 13, 2016, 12:05 PM

Remington youth model .243

Make sure you get one with

Dec 13, 2016, 12:21 PM

A compass in the stock and this thing which tells time

PS, you'll shoot your eye out, kid!

;)

Replies: 91
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive