Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
stock tip for the day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 654

stock tip for the day

Mar 6, 2020, 8:08 AM

sell. Take your cash and spray it with disinfectant (if you can find any) and put it under your mattress.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another tip. Refinance your home. Never will be a better

Mar 6, 2020, 8:31 AM

time than when debt becomes worthless. Ran the numbers and can save us $300-400/mo if we do it today. We will be making some calls. Odds are the fed drops rates some more in a week or two, assuming this continues. We might wait for that next drop then pounce. Prolly save $500-600/mo if we hold out for another cut.

One industry will be booming when the wheels are flying off. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ bout to be living high on the hog

Mar 6, 2020, 8:33 AM

as soon as my dude runs the numbers one more time (to see if I can get a better rate)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

It will get better if the virus gets worse

Mar 6, 2020, 10:23 AM

and the fed drops rates again, which is predicted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've already got a pretty low rate at 3.875%

Mar 6, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Another tip. Refinance your home. Never will be a better ]

but I reached out to my lender and yesterday he could get us to 3.25 which would save us around $100 a month. Since we're already so low I'm in gambling mode and waiting for it to drop more. With the 10 yr bond rate dropping under .8% this morning I'm expecting today's mortgage rates to come down even more. I'd love to get 3% or less, but that may have to wait until the fed drops the rate again in two weeks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

Saw that this morning too.

Mar 6, 2020, 8:47 AM

Not sure if I need to go ahead and lock in my rate or hold out for another .25% drop

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Locked in 2.875% on 15yr fixed last week***

Mar 6, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to We've already got a pretty low rate at 3.875% ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any particular lenders you'd recommend?***

Mar 6, 2020, 9:04 AM

Re: Any particular lenders you'd recommend?***

Mar 6, 2020, 9:18 AM

I am have been in the financial planning industry my entire life and i do agree that now is a great time to consider refinancing. One thing....

When you compare rates on here be aware that you may be paying "points" to get a lower interest rate. Example....i was quoted 2.99% last week with 1/2 pt. I could have gotten 2.875% but it would have cost more. My point......you can get a lower rate but it will cost you more at closing. Just run your own numbers.

Also, beware some of the rates you see online. Many of the online lenders quote low rates with up to two points fee.

Yeah that's why my rate isn't as low as some I have seen

Mar 6, 2020, 9:22 AM

at 3.5 but that's also not paying down any points. Still gets me out of PMI and drops my mortgage by 10 years

I have used Guild Mortgage on last 3 transactions***

Mar 6, 2020, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Any particular lenders you'd recommend?*** ]

I used to have a Guild acoustic guitar.

Mar 6, 2020, 10:05 AM

But I sold it.

If that helps move the conversation along, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've watched the Guild rebuild cars on Restoration Garage

Mar 6, 2020, 11:18 AM

on the Motor Trend channel.

This probably stops the conversation.

3.25 on a 30 year?***

Mar 6, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to We've already got a pretty low rate at 3.875% ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, 30 year.

Mar 6, 2020, 9:21 AM

I don't see a point in a 15 year at this point in my life.

ROH

####, I may need to call back. I've got sparkling credit

Mar 6, 2020, 9:32 AM

but I'm at like 3.5 on a 30 year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try a couple different places. I think our rate has a

Mar 6, 2020, 9:47 AM

quarter point bought into it, but since the appraisal would be waved since we have only owned the house 8 months that basically pays for the fractional points right there.

I can send you my guy's number too if you want. He's been great to work with although he's been swamped this week.

ROH

Eh, I've already got the appraisal

Mar 6, 2020, 9:56 AM

scheduled for mine. My guy waved like $1000 in fees or something.

build equity

Mar 6, 2020, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Yeah, 30 year. ]

And if not for resale, pay it off sooner.

But since money at these rates is basically free, I can

Mar 6, 2020, 9:46 AM

invest the difference and return a lot more (potentially) than the value increase on the house. Also, I'm young so having a paid off house sooner isn't really something I'm worried about if it ties up cash.

ROH

I'm risk averse.

Mar 6, 2020, 9:49 AM

So I'd get the lowest interest rate I could get...so in 5 years if I don't want to live there anymore, housing prices have gone up, I have a lot more equity when I sell then I would otherwise.

Your call.

As long as y'all didn't

Mar 6, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to But since money at these rates is basically free, I can ]

screw up and buy a house that won't accommodate a family you are good.

That's pretty much how we ended up so far out and not

Mar 6, 2020, 11:47 AM

in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house off augusta road. This should be a 10-15 year place for us

ROH

I've seldom been more proud.

Mar 6, 2020, 11:58 AM

I recall back to 2004-2005ish and folks I know were chomping at the bit to buy a house but they were just so small that any degree of family was not going to work. This was okay for some folks but others had plans of expanding only 2-3 years down the line. You can math out the rest to see what happened.

Augusta Rd? Yikes***

Mar 6, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to That's pretty much how we ended up so far out and not ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So would you take out an equity line on your home...

Mar 6, 2020, 11:04 AM [ in reply to But since money at these rates is basically free, I can ]

and use that money to invest in the market?

We're at 4.25%

Mar 6, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to We've already got a pretty low rate at 3.875% ]

If they drop rates again, we can refi at a 15-yr rate paying what we pay for currently on our 30 year fixed. Or refi at 30 years again and have extra money on hand if needed and pay ahead. Either way.

SO many people ignore a 1% drop in rates. They're like

Mar 6, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to We've already got a pretty low rate at 3.875% ]

"what's 1% going to save me?". Well, 1% is 25% of 4%. So if your mortgage is X at 4%, then it's .75 x X at 3%. You save 25% a month.

This is why debt at rates this low is so dangerous. You can jump at a downturn, but if there is ever an upturn (like 5%+ GDP growth, MAGA and whatnot), it will cause your 2% mortgage or whatever to become debt more toxic than the housing crisis debt.

this isn't right***

Mar 6, 2020, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What isn't?***

Mar 6, 2020, 11:52 AM

saving 25% a month is not correct when going from 4 to 3%

Mar 6, 2020, 12:18 PM

25% of the interest, maybe, but not 25% total.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But on a 30 year fixed don't they average it out?

Mar 6, 2020, 12:30 PM

I mean you pay almost 100% interest on your monthly payment at first, and zero at the end, but the total mortgage monthly payment remains basically the same, minus escrow changes.

Plus when you refinance, you have your original down payment, plus any additional equity built up. We rolled PMI into the mortgage rate, but this time we will either not owe it, or only owe it for a short time.

Hol up, nobody mentioned PMI or Escrow, you said save

Mar 6, 2020, 12:43 PM

25% like it is simple math. That is not correct.

200k mortgage for 30 yr.

4% - $954.83/month P&I
3% - $843.21/month P&I

saves +/- $110/month which is not 25%. The math isn't THAT simple.

I don' t think current mortgage rates are heavily impacted..

Mar 6, 2020, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Another tip. Refinance your home. Never will be a better ]

by the fed funds rate target.

how many %age points are you dropping?

Mar 6, 2020, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Another tip. Refinance your home. Never will be a better ]

When did you buy?

I bought almost 4 years ago, and I'm moving, so it's a waste of money for me to do anything with this house.

I dropped a full 1% in January

Mar 6, 2020, 12:30 PM

One year after we bought. I needed to refinance anyway, but it was worth it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just initiated my 2020 Roth contribution to buy more

Mar 6, 2020, 8:31 AM

Also upped my 401k contribution.

ROH

awful***

Mar 6, 2020, 8:53 AM

Replies: 37
| visibility 654
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic