Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of you guys w/ kids
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 649

Any of you guys w/ kids

Nov 16, 2020, 1:25 PM

have them in private school? We are getting very tempted. Talking to another family and they might too and we can keep our boys together as they are buds.

Pro's? Con's?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any of you guys w/ kids

Nov 16, 2020, 1:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with the way things are going and what kids

Nov 16, 2020, 1:41 PM

are being taught, I will pay for him to get a better education. he is in an A school and this district is one of the best in the State, but I like to think he/we can do even better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't have a dog in the hunt.....

Nov 16, 2020, 1:51 PM

as I have no kids.

However - if you can afford it, you and your kid desire better, etc... I'd say shoot for the moon. You only ride this rock once. If you can provide a better option, why not do it?

Checking Obed®'s answer below, I'd agree as well. Weird times right now. I could see a benefit during Covid for sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 1:43 PM

Yup. I'm open to discussion about whether it's worth it or not in a normal year, but this year it's been worth every penny. Public high schools here went to hybrid model and kids aren't doing or learning jacksheet. Our school never slowed down and in March, turned on a dime and went to a really robust virtual model that they finished the year out with.

Were ready to go in August back to full attendance with some really good protocols in place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is what I needed to hear

Nov 16, 2020, 1:50 PM

We are meeting/going to see two schools this week.

One is a Catholic school, which I am fine with, but my wife seems hesitant.

Re: this is what I needed to hear

Nov 16, 2020, 1:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We aren't Catholic, but the Catholic schools

Nov 16, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to this is what I needed to hear ]

have been great. School here is probably 60/40 Catholic/Protestant or Other and while they still have a weekly Mass, they're very respectful of the different beliefs in the mandatory theology classes.

I think the college prep aspect has been the best attribute. The curriculum is rigorous...we've talked to a number of grads who said that college was easy after going to HS there. I also like that they are forced to use teacher's daily office hours to discuss tests or papers or things they're struggling with. They get an hour for lunch each day, but those office hours are inside that time, so my kids have learned that if it's needed, you spend 10-20 minutes eating lunch and then 40-50 minutes getting help from a teacher. That's some real-world stuff that would have done my ignorantass well back at Clemson, where I just showed up to classes and never really thought to go see the professors when I was struggling. Last part is that it's a more classic curriculum, and isn't required to teach to the TN standard test.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 1:52 PM

I don’t know if this counts but my 4 year old is in Montessori. They’re doing in-person class in smaller class sizes 5 days a week. The school and everyone there have been smart about it. Whether we do private or public henceforth will depend on where we end up after this year and what the school district is like. If it’s where I think I have a job... public schools there are great.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is our only hold up

Nov 16, 2020, 1:56 PM

their school is in our neighborhood, so super convenient and its a great school. However with the current state of affairs with COVID and the absolute uncertainty of what our Governor is going to do each day, it would really help to have consistency.

Montessori, huh?

Nov 16, 2020, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Any of you guys w/ kids ]

The first time they make a big sharpie drawing on the wall or leather couch, can you send a video of your wife telling you to calm down and let her handle it and then proceeding to congratulate them on their creativity and zest for life?

Re: Montessori, huh?

Nov 16, 2020, 2:03 PM

Wife?? I think you mean my domestic partner. She and I don’t ascribe to the patriarchy-proscribed heteronormative gender roles in our parenting. For example, today is my day to breast feed the baby.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry for being so presumptive.....

Nov 16, 2020, 2:05 PM

Which one of you drives the hybrid and which one drives the Subaru? How do you like them?

mine did Montessori though kindergarten and they

Nov 16, 2020, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Montessori, huh? ]

benefitted greatly and transitioned really well into the 1st grade.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like anything they seem to differ quite a bit.

Nov 16, 2020, 2:12 PM

We toured the one in South Charlotte 13-ish years ago, and it seemed like the main goal of the program was to turn out future Portland/Seattle/Asheville residents.

Kids named Piper and Sunshine, lots of time in the organic garden out back, modules on sorting recycling, and Earth Day was probably the most highlighted holiday of the year.....

Nothing wrong with any of those, just seemed an odd theme for the backbone of an education program.

Ours were not private montessori schools though, both

Nov 16, 2020, 2:24 PM

through local Public School systems.

One was MUCH better than the other though.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically, your kids learned to cook meth?

Nov 16, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to mine did Montessori though kindergarten and they ]

By the way, I think the coots play Montessori this coming Saturday.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God, I wish. They learned measurements and mixing methods

Nov 16, 2020, 2:33 PM

but using the stove wasn't really covered. The one pot method is great though, just more dangerous with 5 year olds.

TIL that Greenr allowed his 1st grader to transition

Nov 16, 2020, 2:27 PM [ in reply to mine did Montessori though kindergarten and they ]

congrats with your rejection of the binary system

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love my kids no matter what, Nazi. Free your mind.***

Nov 16, 2020, 2:30 PM

We don't but I understand that some areas don't have the

Nov 16, 2020, 1:55 PM

best public schools so there may be a case to make there. Otherwise, I think it is unnecessary. I know many people that did it though. I have a buddy whose parents put his sister in private Christian school but he went to public school with me. That is weird to me.

Oooof, I wasn't considering COVID. Our kids are at

Nov 16, 2020, 1:57 PM

public school 5 days a week. Ask me next week though, they may get sent home.

Our district has already made the week after Thanksgiving

Nov 16, 2020, 2:40 PM

full remote. Pretty smart move, I think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we might be doing the same. Wife was in a meeting

Nov 16, 2020, 4:34 PM

this afternoon, I'll get the scoop soon.

It's expensive.

If your public schools are good, then you may not see better results depending on where your kid is on the academic side of things.

That's particularly true if the kid is in elementary school. I will say sending our kid to private school kept him from being bored out of his mind in grade school.

For older grades, if your kid is academic, then find out how they assign classes if they have limited spots because your kid may be further down the academic achievement list in a private school than a public school.

It may be a better academic experience because they can fire bad teachers and because the expectations are higher. My son's public high school had decent teachers but the academic expectations were so low he could get A's without much effort. I'm talking about getting an 80 on a calculus test and it curves to a 98 because there are a bunch of people taking the class who have no business being there.

Private schools generally have less resources and fewer extra curricular activities.

You do lose the discipline problems and most of the ######## you see in public schools.
Whether your kids benefit or not from this sort of bubble depends on the kid.

I have one kid who ended up in public school because he wanted to play sports. I have another kid who needed the individual attention she gets in a private school and would not have done well in a large public school.

It's pretty normal in our area for people to send their kids to private school through middle school and once you get past the Lord of the Flies stage go back to public school for high school. I live in Durham NC though and no one is describing the public schools here as A level.

In fact, if anything, they lead the state in RFL (reduced/free lunch) population. The elementary school our kids would have gone to had a 97% RFL population.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know what the regulations are up in MI but

it’s a crapshoot down here. I’ve gotten students that transferred in from some private schools and were up to a year and a half ahead and I’ve gotten students from others that had transcripts claiming As in honors classes that were multiple years behind in reading and math.

It wasn’t always a case of you get what you pay either.

I guess the bottom line is, do your homework.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

We're saving for it just in case, but part of me really

Nov 16, 2020, 2:14 PM

thinks he should go to the middle/high school with the highest amount of crime, gang members, etc. I tend to think he needs a more realistic look at human nature, not some feel good everybody is happy garbage. I think middle class America is truly lacking that perspective.

But then I look at the people I know that are public school teachers, and remember the flat out imbeciles who were 'authorities' when I went to school....Makes it a hard call. I'm beginning to get the sense that some form of home schooling is going to be mandatory in order for children to not be total morons.

By the time my son gets to college, freshman year of college will probably consist of teaching everyone to read.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound really ignorant with that last line.

Nov 16, 2020, 2:17 PM

By the time your son gets to college, the educational system will hopefully be acknowledging what we've known all along---literacy is nothing more than an indicator of privilege, and is null and void as an indicator of intelligence or potential.

Yeah, but when the 425 pound human Furby in admissions

Nov 16, 2020, 2:34 PM

sees that his parents pre-recorded struggle sessions way back in 2021, she'll recognize that OG-like wokeness and it'll be smooth sailing for my boi.

He'll just have to pretend he can't read. Maybe we can maim him so he can claim some sort of disability. I dunno, we'll have to see how things go.

Either way, I didn't save all of those Clemson Orange: The Experience magazines for no reason. We'll be in the attic like Anne Frank sounding out DJ's last name if we have to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son is in private school, 4th grade. He has done very

Nov 16, 2020, 2:50 PM

well. The school is well ran and organized. He has only 16-19 students in his class. They have every sport but football and wrestling. I know he wants to play football so that may come into play as he gets older. Most parents are heavily involved with their children and the school. The costs are a little high but I wouldn't trade it for a dime right now. I just hope he continues to keep his head on right.

The school did shutdown for two weeks due to Covid in late Oct.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Aunt and Uncle made this mistake with my cousins.....

Nov 16, 2020, 4:31 PM

My uncle "retired" and still is having to work. Had he saved all the money they wasted in private school they'd be living the good retirement life.

I may can understand it if the schools in your area are horrid but if they are even above average its not worth it in my opinion. Public schools provide real world interactions that prepare you.

Private schools cater.

And I went to the best public High School in SC, graduated from Clemson, and doing just fine. Only cost my parents taxes...and they're on their way to the REALLY REALLY good retirement life.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My kids went to private school until 5th grade

Nov 16, 2020, 4:34 PM

it was well worth the money to me but that was almost 20 years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Greenville, where the majority of public schools are good

Nov 16, 2020, 4:38 PM

to provide a better education at the best private school its $21K a year. I'll take that cash and do educational activities on my new boat.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 649
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic