Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any fellow Garden City/Murrell's Inlet fisherman here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Any fellow Garden City/Murrell's Inlet fisherman here?

May 28, 2019, 4:57 PM

I know this is the wrong board but didn't know where to post it to feel free to move it. Sorry. So Dad and I are going down and fishing the south jetty of Murrell's Inlet July 4th week. Anytime spent with dad is good time. I've got the rods, gulp shrimp, gonna visit Perry's bait And tackle for live shrimp, gulp peeler crabs, bucktail jigs, spoons, and a few minnows lures. I heard the walk to the jetty is pretty legit though and my problem is a fishing cart. Anyone have one they wanna lendto me? I'd rent it too if I need to. Any tips recommended. Thanks guys

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any fellow Garden City/Murrell's Inlet fisherman here?

May 28, 2019, 6:29 PM

Borrow some dynamite from Balm.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

serious, rent a boat - slip around the jetty and anchor.

May 28, 2019, 7:08 PM

if its flat you can troll for spanish about 3-400 yards due south 0f mouth and down the beach offf hunington about 100-200 off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: serious, rent a boat - slip around the jetty and anchor.

May 28, 2019, 7:25 PM

By troll do you mean tossing lit sticks of explosives into the water at a slow pace?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that will work - don't forget the net and lots of cssh...***

May 28, 2019, 7:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that will work - don't forget the net and lots of cssh...***

May 28, 2019, 8:27 PM

Watch out for tourists.

May 28, 2019, 8:47 PM

If you are fishing the South Jetty then I would assume you are parking at the State Park. After that be prepared to walk a mile...in the sand.

A few pointers...if you so happen to get a surf cart make sure you walk to the jetty when the tide is low and then make your way back when the tide is going back out. The tide is rather high there and if you are pulling a cart you want to pull it in the "hard sand" and not the soft sand.

Doubtful you will be able to rent a cart as I've never seen a surf cart rental.

Let me make this easy. Fish the north side of Pawley's island. The sea wall and rocks there will present a great place to fish that is equal to and sometimes better than the Jetty with a tenth of the hassle. The North end of Pawley's will have an inlet that dumps into the Atlantic. The inlet has a bit of current which is a good thing so I would plan on fishing with something that will hold the bottom. Be prepared for pinfish after pinfish (if you catch them use them as live bait) but maybe you'll work your way into something worth while. I've fished there for years and have since moved to Pensacola but I learned everything I know about saltwater fishing in the area I have suggested

The water will be warm so I suggest the early morning bite or late evening/night.

Good Luck!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's over 2 miles from the Hot and Hot Parking Lot

May 28, 2019, 10:02 PM

Even by bicycle it's a haul. Golf carts not allowed on the beach. No dogs, no beer allowed either.

Carry lots of water.

Re: It's over 2 miles from the Hot and Hot Parking Lot

May 28, 2019, 10:09 PM

And dynamite.

May 28, 2019, 10:39 PM

My dad and I fished Murrells Inlet for about 12 years. It took us 2 years to learn how to fish the inlet. The first thing I would do is by pass Perry’s bait shop. Get you a cast net go into the little creeks in the inlet and catch you own mullet. If you want to use live bait. Mullet work well with Flounder in about 3 to 4 feet of water in the creeks. If you are fishing for Spot Tail Bass, Sea Trout or Spanish Mackerel I would use jigs and crank baits that you would use in fresh water or live finger mullet. If you want to fish for Sheep’s Head use a small hook , 10lb test and fiddler crabs. Sheep’s Head will give you one heck of a fight.

This best times we found to fish was when the tide was coming in. The best places for most fish are up against the grass shores. One particular place is just around a bend heading into the main channel across from a store or restaurant. Another great place is in near the rocks that show as you go out of the inlet into the ocean. To your left is a house on at the end of the shore there is a place where the shore curves around. This is near the row of rocks. These were all successful spots for us.

I spent a ton of money at Perry’s Bait shop and did not catch many fish on the stuff we bought there. I learned to use simple rigs usually with a steel leader because flounder , trout and Sheep Head have a set of teeth. And I discovered that if a flounder takes your mullet it usually will take it in two bites so set the hook on the second bite. Sheep’s Head you barely fill their bite and you need a hard hook set or the tend to get off. You can catch Blue Fish with flashy lures and spoons but they pretty oily and not good to eat. Out of all the above Sheep’s Head is the best sweet white meat.

If a pan fish called Spots are bitting use blood worms but watch out those worms love to stick you in you finger. If you get into Spots you could actually get tired of fishing you catch so many.

I have shared what I learned over 12 years. I hope you and your dad have as much fun as my dad and I did. Good luck and I hope the tips help you out. Let us know how your trip was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2019, 10:50 PM

Man, I heard Sheephead are a dang treat. Never would have thought a fish that has horse teeth would be such a good tasting food.

Asked a buddy of mine that fishes down here in Savannah all the time what his favorite ocean fish is and he said, hands down, sheephead.

May 28, 2019, 10:57 PM

They are awesome. We lucked up on a bunch one. I hooked one fought it for 15 mins it went around my boat twice and then got off. I could quite get a good hook set. But we caught about 15. We filleted them and cooked them on the grill. Best fish I have ever had.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2019, 11:07 PM

Appreciate you sharing. I’m actually going to seek it out. I went to Fripp with another friend and he caught one in a crab trap.

I pulled in a flounder that we cooked up, but he threw back the sheepshead! He didn’t know and doesn’t eat fish. Oh well.

Appreciate the tip!!!

May 28, 2019, 11:26 PM

Use a bait caster, 10 LB line steel leader and a small hook. You really have to stay focused because there bite is really light. Sometimes you can barely feel the bite. Use fiddler crabs. Sheep’s Head love them. Good luck, I hope you catch a bunch of them. They will give you pound for pound the best fight of any fish.

May 28, 2019, 11:28 PM

I hear that!

Thanks again!

Wrong board? Didn't you know this is Spud's

May 29, 2019, 7:16 AM

bassmaster board?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic