Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any $ex smokers/dippers here?***
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Any $ex smokers/dippers here?***

Oct 29, 2016, 12:04 PM

And if so, what worked best for you in helping you quit?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any $ex smokers/dippers here?***

Oct 29, 2016, 12:06 PM

Say what?

Oct 29, 2016, 12:07 PM

Ex*

How bad is your smoking habit?

Oct 29, 2016, 12:09 PM

Is it really difficult for you to quit?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How bad is your smoking habit?

Oct 29, 2016, 12:20 PM

Not to horribly bad. I'm more of a dipper...but

I'm on a nicotine patch right now (21mg) and feel ok. Just was wondering if anyone has anything they swore by.

Patch works well. Chewing some gum

Oct 29, 2016, 1:02 PM

When your antsy. How long have you been on the patch?

Re: Any ex smokers/dippers here?***

Oct 29, 2016, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Any $ex smokers/dippers here?*** ]

Yes, I quit chewing about 5 years ago. I was chewing about a pouch of Redman a day. It was a health scare that got me to quit cold turkey. I always had sugar free gum with me to help ease the oral fixation and if I was home and I got a craving I'd immediately go do something physical; lift weights, walk/play with the dog/ pick weeds.....anything to take my mind off how much I wanted a chew.

Trust me, quitting and staying tobacco free will be one of the best decisions you will make, not only for your health, but also your wallet! Good luck.

Re: The secret to quit dipping?

Oct 29, 2016, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Any $ex smokers/dippers here?*** ]

Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff (tobacco free) for the physical addiction, cold turkey for the chemical. I've been off of Skoal for 19 months after being on for 42 long years. Smokey Mountain is awesome.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Used Chantix to quit smoking back in the day

Oct 29, 2016, 12:09 PM

but I will say that the main thing was my body telling me it was time to stop smoking. At some point the enjoyment I got from a cigarette didn't outweigh the huffing and puffing I was doing with normal activity.

When I decided to stop dipping I switched to the snus for a while. They're a lot lighter, they satisfy the oral fixation and you can gradually wean off of them a lot easier than dip in my experience. Good luck!

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zyban and what this guy says

Oct 29, 2016, 12:30 PM

Zyban got rid of my cravings and I had really lost any enjoyment cigarettes gave me. You got to want to quit. That's most important

Oct 29, 2016, 12:21 PM

You a dipper?
Google "Grinds".
It's a pouch of coffee grind that give you a buzz.

Oct 29, 2016, 12:58 PM

A couple of ML baseball teams have turned it. Bruce Boche (sp) is a big supporter of it. It comes in many flavors

Oct 29, 2016, 8:54 PM

Thanks , I looked into them! Thinking about trying them.

Meanwhile, I just purchased this Juul.com

Oct 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

Good luck man! Been trying to kick the can for a few years.

Sunflower seeds***

Oct 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oct 29, 2016, 12:35 PM

I used Blu. I bought the refill kit so I can't comment about the disposable version. Within a month I wasn't even using that. For the record I was already set in my mind to quit and that helps a lot more than any crutches we can use.4years smoke free.

Oct 29, 2016, 12:45 PM

Why would you quit? I love dipping!!

Oct 29, 2016, 12:47 PM

But seriously I used nicotine gum and would put it in my lip. My problem as I'm sure most people who dip feel this way, is the oral fixation. Nicotine gum while in my lower lip and I quit within a couple weeks. "However I started back about a year ago. ??

Chantix - nothing even close in effectiveness.

Oct 29, 2016, 12:47 PM

Chantix. Take for 6 months. Turns off addiction reward system like a switch.

Oct 29, 2016, 12:48 PM

For nicotine I suggest using an e-cig. The SMOK Alien is great kit, set to 40 watts and use a premium e-cig fluid that you like with max VG. Vapor Chef is the best, or you can make your own easily for cheap.

Start with moderate nicotine like 12% and work your way down to 3%. At that point you will have very little physical withdraw symptoms if you go cold turkey.

For the lip tuck, best to go for the coffee grind pouches or sunflower seeds.

Good luck, it's a struggle. To this day I can smell cope five miles away but thankfully resist the urge. Avoid people that dip too or ask them not to do it around you. Impossible to quit otherwise.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2016, 1:12 PM

Nicotine replacement just prolongs the problem and occasionally makes it worse. Vaping is as fast a delivery system as smoking, so it is unlikely to allow you to quit successfully. Not to mention you look like a dork. Chantix has something like a 75% success rate. The best of all other options is about 20%. After a few weeks of it you will wonder why you ever smoked in the first place. I am convinced it can cure gambling/cocaine/meth addictions also. Anything that relies on Dopamine. You know it is good when the doctor basically dares you to try to keep smoking while on it. Yes, there are side effects (mostly weird vivid dreams), but they are way milder than even the mildest withdrawal sypmtoms. YMMV of course.

Chances are, if you are using nicotine or other stims, you are self medicating for ADD symptoms. I believe this to be true of a large proportion of stimulant addicts. Go get Adderall, it is much safer and more effective.

Oct 29, 2016, 1:23 PM

Not trying to argue but folks with addictive traits should be cautious with adderol. Read message boards about users developing addiction and the side effects when trying to stop. It should be used for those that genuinely have a focus issue

Oct 29, 2016, 1:41 PM

I agree re: Adderall. It is definitely not a toy. Taken as directed it is a good substitute for treating the symptoms nicotine relieves.

Oct 29, 2016, 12:48 PM

Lollipops ??

Two packs a day for fort years. Just laid them down. Drank a

Oct 29, 2016, 12:59 PM

lot of water and put a stick of gum in my mouth every time I wanted one.

Tiger/Terrier

Oct 29, 2016, 1:03 PM

I quit for 10 months one time and put on about 40 lbs from the extra eating. Even with gum, seeds, etc, stuffing my face was the only way to satiate the cravings.

I got readddicted after breaking down after having a few beers and dipping so night.

If you're a drinker, I would consider also not getting buzzed/inhibited in the first couple of years. It caused me to really let my guard down. All it takes is one night of 2 or 3 or 4 dips and the whole effort is ruined

Oct 29, 2016, 1:21 PM

I don't have an addictive personality, I can smoke a 3 packs a week and not pick up another cigarette for a few months. My brother isn't the same way, he decided to vape and gradually decrease the nicotine levels until it got to 0 nicotine. He hasn't smoked in about a year.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 29, 2016, 1:45 PM

Cold turkey. Was smoking 2 1/2 package a day. Over 30 years ago.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2016, 1:56 PM

Try an aortic dissection with an 11 hr. surgery requiring 27 units of blood .

Then seeing your family after 3 days induced coma .

Stroke during the event and realizing what a blessed fool I was to survive ....

If that doesn't do it , figure in the bill for 18 days in the hospital , and then 2 more aortic stent operations in the next two years .

Good luck , it's hard to give up addictions , but well worth it .

I smoked for 15 years. Quit by vaping.

Oct 29, 2016, 1:58 PM

I would never go back. Vaping so much cheaper, no bad smell, no lung problems. Plus you can vape where ever you want, within reason.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what color crocs do you wear?***

Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 PM

Oct 29, 2016, 2:18 PM

Nope....

S#!+ is bad for you.......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2016, 2:51 PM

Smoked 30 years - 1.5-2 packs/day at the end. Heart attack early morning 12/24/15 - bypass x4 on 12/28 - quitting was easy. Congrats on your decision to quit!

Oct 29, 2016, 2:55 PM

Chantix worked for me in 30 days. I smoked almost 2 pks a day for almost 50 years. Sept 12, 2014 I smoked my last cigarette. Don't miss them one bit but also know how hard it is for some to quit. I never dreamed I would quit in such a short period of time but with the help of God I did. I wish you the best in quitting.

Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 PM

Smoke free for over 18 years now, I used the patches but that was about all that was available back then. I did the full 10 week step-down program and it worked, best $200 dollar investment I ever made. The key is you have to "want to". Took me 10 days to put them down from when I started trying, I just refused to give up. June 12, 1998 last day I smoked. My wife on the other hand has quit twice since me, once for 8 years then started back. Then she stopped for a year then started back again, drives me crazy, but what do I do. I know how hard it is, but can be done. Well worth it for me. Good luck and Go Tigers!

Oct 29, 2016, 3:24 PM

I got married. The $ex stopped cold turkey.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic