Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another police shooting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Another police shooting

Dec 15, 2020, 9:23 AM

Another police shooting happened a couple of weeks ago that most of you all probably haven’t heard about.

Early reports say that Casey Goodson was picking up food for his family and was shot in the back right as he was about to walk in the door to his home. Now there may be more that comes of this, but this seems really bad.

He wasn’t high on meth/fentanyl and resisting arrest for 10+ minutes (still no reason for the cop to put his knee on GF’s neck). He wasn’t just over at a women’s house that has a restraining order, resisted police and then grabbed a weapon. He didn’t fire a taser at the cops face. He didn’t run after a cop while wielding a knife.

Why hasn’t this gotten wall to wall media coverage like the other shootings did, which resulted in rioting, looting, and millions of dollars of property damage.

Well I think we all know why. The election is over. I was told that this trend line was just a coincidence by some very bright people on tigernet.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=Black%20lives%20matter

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press

Dec 15, 2020, 9:33 AM

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/455731/Protesters-gather-in-Downtown-Columbus-for-Casey-Goodson-Jr

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press

Dec 15, 2020, 9:39 AM

I never said it didn’t get any press. It is not getting the wall to walk media coverage that fan the flames and cause riots across the country.

This was a local protest. With all the other shootings, we had protests and riots in my home town that is hundreds of miles away.

Chicken or egg. Did the riots cause the media frenzy

Dec 15, 2020, 9:54 AM

Or did the media frenzy cause the riots?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chicken or egg. Did the riots cause the media frenzy

Dec 15, 2020, 10:39 AM

I'm going with media frenzy since most people wouldn't know if not for media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much did Trump tweet about this shooting and/or the

Dec 15, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press ]

protest?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take a wild guess and say that now that the election is

Dec 15, 2020, 11:43 AM

over, it is pointless for Trump to fan the flames via his Twitter account with this incident, especially since the city where it happened wasn't Milwaukee, Detroit, Philadelphia, or Atlanta. Had it been one of those four cities he would be all over the place as further testament as to why these urban centers can't be trusted with an election and why his supporters need to help defend them, and "their" country.

He failed at scaring suburban voters this cycle (biggest gains there than any other segment for Biden) with warnings of hoards of angry urbanites invading their peaceful enclaves. So at this point there's nothing really for Trump to gain by enflaming this particular situation, thus the lack of national and media attention that would inherently follow.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press

Dec 15, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press ]

I never said it didn’t get any press. It is not getting the wall to walk media coverage that fan the flames and cause riots across the country.

This was a local protest. With all the other shootings, we had protests and riots in my home town that is hundreds of miles away.

There's no video of the shooting.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:52 AM

That makes a big difference. And you can say "What about Breonna Taylor or Trayvon Martin", but both of those stories took a month or longer to begin gaining traction.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's no video of the shooting.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:21 AM

Murcielago said:

That makes a big difference. And you can say "What about Breonna Taylor or Trayvon Martin", but both of those stories took a month or longer to begin gaining traction.

I agree with this. Thanks for a rational response

SOP on this board.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Lol. I'd say it's gotten some press ]

Person who doesn't actually take time to consume real news sources starts screaming that the news media isn't covering something. Looks foolish once people start providing links to major media coverage of the incident. Person crawls back into their Joe Rogan/Sean Hannity/Tucker Carlson hole to wait for them to tell em the media aren't covering something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: SOP on this board.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:25 AM

Catahoula said:

Person who doesn't actually take time to consume real news sources starts screaming that the news media isn't covering something. Looks foolish once people start providing links to major media coverage of the incident. Person crawls back into their Joe Rogan/Sean Hannity/Tucker Carlson hole to wait for them to tell em the media aren't covering something.

Never said it didn’t get any press. Also don’t watch hannity or listen to Rogan. I do watch Tucker about once a week when I get the chance.

I just haven’t seen promoted tweets, nonstop iPhone notifications from Bloomberg news, this story hasn’t stayed on the front page of these main stream
News websites, and I haven’t seen any of the main news networks cover this live on air (again I could be wrong on that)

Dec 15, 2020, 10:35 AM

Because when bigger news is at play, such as this election mess and COVID vaccines, other stories like this often don't get the same attention.

It's still been reported prominently.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Dec 15, 2020, 10:45 AM

Ok that’s a rational and good reason. Maybe I’m off base in this one. Between all the craziness happening with the election and the fact that there is no video could be why it’s not covered as much/reaction isn’t as bad

It’s not being reported prominently though.

If you tthink that the media hasn’t/does not cover stories differently to influence the election you are just plain dumb. The hunter Biden suppression was wild.

Right. Everything is a conspiracy with you. I forgot.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:13 AM

Deep State.

Re: Right. Everything is a conspiracy with you. I forgot.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:24 AM

You do realize that the media scrambled to suppress/cause confusion about the hunter Biden story right? Like that literally happened a little over a month ago. You don’t remember that? It’s odd when you idiots literally tell m something that happened less than 2 months ago isn’t true.

Like remember when Twitter and Facebook wouldn’t allow anybody to share the story on their site? Every lefty news outlet said it wasn’t true. And now they have all backtracked.

https://twitter.com/wyrdchyk/status/1337090045774340098?s=21

..."most of you all probably haven’t heard about"...

Dec 15, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: SOP on this board. ]

strongly implies that you think it's not getting any press, but sure, walk back your statements more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Why you hating on Rogan?***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to SOP on this board. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why you hating on Rogan?***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:01 AM

spooneye® said:

Because catabolism told me I get my media from right winch people like joe rogan. LOL

Dec 15, 2020, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Why you hating on Rogan?*** ]

I dunno, he's part of that whole meathead MMA culture and while I don't have a problem with him holding an entertaining show, I feel like anyone who leads with "Well, on Joe Rogan the other day..." in a debate should be summarily dismissed.

Bruh's best work was on News Radio. That's it.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:12 PM

Agreed on News Radio awesomeness. His podcast is great though. I intentionally steer clear of most of the MMA stuff, but Joe is both highly self-aware and interested in learning about the world. He gets a decent number of great guests.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll give it another chance...

Dec 15, 2020, 12:19 PM

Although I've hard a hard time sticking with podcasts. I'm not in the car long enough, usually.

Re: I'll give it another chance...

Dec 15, 2020, 12:22 PM

Oh and his episodes are often 3+ hours. Definitely best for when you're in the car a lot. His show is also on YouTube but I generally go audio only.

I'm a fan of the "intellectual dark web" and enjoy when someone from that group shows up.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Why you hating on Rogan?*** ]

Agree. I like rogan a lot, but haven’t listened to his podcast in years.

Re: Another police shooting

Dec 15, 2020, 9:46 AM

What a dumb question and a dumb answer.
There is no shortage or these kinda shootings. some of you may believe it’s unusual, but it’s not. It’s dumb to pin it on the election too.

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Dec 15, 2020, 9:51 AM

What a dumb question and a dumb answer.
There is no shortage or these kinda shootings. some of you may believe it’s unusual, but it’s not. It’s dumb to pin it on the election too.

You are right. These kinds of shootings do happen far too often. But why does all the outrage seem to come during election years? The shootings don’t stop in non-election years? So why does it trend more during?

Dec 15, 2020, 9:47 AM

The election? Seek mental help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:49 AM

So why did Black Lives Matter trend prior to 2016 and also prior to this election?

What about this shooting is different from all of the other ones that caused mass protests and riots?

There has to be a logical explanation right?

Dec 15, 2020, 9:53 AM

Who knows and who cares? Maybe because the organization was created and the movement got going at that time period? Just a thought. ALso, people were rioting during the Obama years because of police shootings. Ferguson come to mind? It was wild under Obama and the media covered it the same. You have read one too many nutty far right wing websites or your mind is just getting to you.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:57 AM

I don’t read far right wing sites. I think for myself actually. Just find it odd that in 206 and 2020 right before elections, Interest in BLM spiked and stopped trending right after the election.

I think there is something to that with the way the media covers these tragedies. You apparently think it’s a coincidence. You seem to think a lot of things are just coincidences.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:58 AM

You're looking for things that aren't there.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:12 AM

Carlsbad® said:

You're looking for things that aren't there.

Actually what happened was a saw the post below on Twitter about a week ago. I thought, “#### this is going to be bad”. A week has gone by and I hadn’t heard about it again and I just thought about it again this morning.

I looked it up and there was still not a ton of coverage. I thought to myself, “why isn’t this getting coverage when it seems this was the worst shooting of them all”.

I thought about it for a second and the only thing I can think of is that the election is over. Nobody has provided a good explanation as to why this has not been covered the same. I am an open mind and if you would provide reasoning as to why I am wrong, you might persuade me. But all you do in these threads is hurl insults but don’t provide any reasoning. So #### you.

Why is it a bad or unusual thing

Dec 15, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Another police shooting ]

that something would trend higher in election years?

Re: Why is it a bad or unusual thing

Dec 15, 2020, 10:20 AM

Come on, you can’t be this naive.

Are you unable or unwilling

Dec 15, 2020, 10:41 AM

to articulate a reason?

Re: Are you unable or unwilling

Dec 15, 2020, 11:10 AM

Ok. Since you can’t quite figure this out. Media companies promote/suppress stories during election years to help/harm candidates that they don’t align with.

You saw that this year big time with the hunter Biden story that was suppressed in the media.

In this case, Donald trump has been portrayed as a racist nazi. So promoting a lot of stories involving racial division with cop shootings, riots and looting would hurt trump. A theme you continued to hear from the leftist media was “this is trumps America”

OK, glad you answered, because that's different

Dec 15, 2020, 11:16 AM

than what I thought you referring to. I thought you meant "trending," as in something the people were interested in, not about media coverage.

Re: OK, glad you answered, because that's different

Dec 15, 2020, 11:30 AM

Ahhh gotcha. Sorry I should have been more clear. I just feel like the media has too much power in the reaction that they can cause.

If the media wanted this story to be huge, they could easily make it huge. I mean, if the initial story is true, then this is the worst coo shooting of the year by far

You might be right. Another example:

Dec 15, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Another police shooting ]

remember the migrant caravans that were winding their way towards our southern border in Summer 2018? And then they multiplied and our border was about to get overwhelmed, leading up to the 2018 midterm? And then on Wednesday, Nov. 8, the caravans magically disappeared, never to be heard from again?

It was the strangest thing. Almost like they were conjured to scare voters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You might be right. Another example:

Dec 15, 2020, 10:48 AM

How about black people destroying the suburbs if Trump lost? I wonder how long until that prediction happens?

Dec 15, 2020, 11:20 AM

Carlsbad® said:

How about black people destroying the suburbs if Trump lost? I wonder how long until that prediction happens?

Or how about

Trump starting nuclear war with North Korea
Trump starting WW3 when he killed a terrorist
Trump not leaving the whitehouse
Trump being a Russian asset

The list goes on and on

Dec 15, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to You might be right. Another example: ]

19B said:

remember the migrant caravans that were winding their way towards our southern border in Summer 2018? And then they multiplied and our border was about to get overwhelmed, leading up to the 2018 midterm? And then on Wednesday, Nov. 8, the caravans magically disappeared, never to be heard from again?

It was the strangest thing. Almost like they were conjured to scare voters.

Sure, it is not specific to one side, that is for sure. It’s unethical.

I would say that I noticed that the caravans seemed to stop once Trump got Mexico to start protecting the border with their own military. Also the policy of asylum seekers having to stay in the first country they get to helped a lot.

I would however argue that the reporting on this hurt trump as it highlighted “kids in cages” deal

Yes. This time around Trump kept his pie hole shut

Dec 15, 2020, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Another police shooting ]

and did not stir up agitation as he did during election season.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:48 AM

MT.,

In the news business there is this thing called "man bites dog" It refers to the unusual story leads and the more common story does not.

We might expect for a criminal to kill a cop. I am sure it is far too common a story across our country. It is not right and we should certainly condemn it, but it doesn't generate as much interest as the opposite - when a policeman kills a civilian. That is less expected and so grabs our attention more.

Secondly, you answer your own question. The killing of civilians by cops led to widespread protests and sensationalized images of violence. this gets our attention more as well.

Finally, whenever one of you guys says something like, "Well, I think we all know why" you are making a huge assumption based on very little data. And you are usually wrong - we don't all know what You think that YOU know.

This officer and his family deserve our respect and empathy. They have it. Wall-to-wall news coverage won't increase that.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:53 AM

MT.,

In the news business there is this thing called "man bites dog" It refers to the unusual story leads and the more common story does not.

We might expect for a criminal to kill a cop. I am sure it is far too common a story across our country. It is not right and we should certainly condemn it, but it doesn't generate as much interest as the opposite - when a policeman kills a civilian. That is less expected and so grabs our attention more.

Secondly, you answer your own question. The killing of civilians by cops led to widespread protests and sensationalized images of violence. this gets our attention more as well.

Finally, whenever one of you guys says something like, "Well, I think we all know why" you are making a huge assumption based on very little data. And you are usually wrong - we don't all know what You think that YOU know.

This officer and his family deserve our respect and empathy. They have it. Wall-to-wall news coverage won't increase that.

Think you completely misread my post.

A cop shot an African American in the back. It is a worse shooting than all the other ones per the initial reports.

Sooooo....

Dec 15, 2020, 10:00 AM

NY Times, CNN, NPR, BBC, USA Today, etc. all reported this extensively. What's your beef with the coverage again? Would you like the links? This was easily found with a Google search of just his name.

And yes, this is awful.

Re: Sooooo....

Dec 15, 2020, 10:19 AM

Yes they have all written 1 or 2 articles on it. I haven’t seen CNN, msnbc, or Fox News cover this live on air. I could be wrong.

I’m not however getting Bloomberg news updates on my iPhone on it. I’m not getting promoted tweets on Twitter about this.this story hasn’t sat on the front pages of these news websites.

It isn’t being covered the same way, and the backlash isn’t near as much either. Just wondering why? I think I know why. Nobody has provided a good explanation of an alternative theory yet

I can't yet say what the point is, but there is one. We need

Dec 15, 2020, 10:45 AM

to honestly face it.

A lot - and I mean a really lot - of people where saying, "The BLM riots with bussed in rioters will stop when the election is over." It is, and they did.

You can't claim cause-and-effect without a little more direct evidence, but you can't just hand wave at it, either. When the claim was being made that the BLM riots were more about politics than race, the left and many lunge posters adamantly said this was not the case. Fine, everyone has a right to their own take. No problem. But you can't just walk away from the fact that the riots ended exactly when many of us said they would.

The coverage of and reaction in Columbus is what it should be. It is not what we were seeing months ago. An entire thing has disappeared.

Re: I can't yet say what the point is, but there is one. We need

Dec 15, 2020, 10:52 AM

The BLM riots and protests died down some when leaders such as Obama, Sharpton, and many more, made it clear that the protests and the riots were helping Trump. That said, they have never completely stopped. They have died down though.

If we were debating (don't have enough info to do that)

Dec 15, 2020, 11:10 AM

I might point to that very thing as evidence it was about politics.

It a thing is important enough to take over a downtown, and you stop because an ex politician says its helping a certain politician, you're a mile wide and an inch deep. (Not you, those guys.) So I think there was more to it than just that.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to I can't yet say what the point is, but there is one. We need ]

Polling backs that up. (If we are to believe polling in this instance) when it started hurting dems, alot of it went away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 10:57 AM

And I say what I say as a liberal who once worked in media. I was only the lowly weatherman but was close enough to know we told the news we WANTED to tell and HOW we wanted to tell it.

In 15+ years in media, I can name on one hand the journalists I truly trust.

For whatever reason, many liberals bow down to media though.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:02 AM

Fox kept promoting BLM and the riots. MSNBC and CNN backed off. They all had their agendas. That said, a lot of it was because the riots and the protests lost their luster. Heck, they went on for months for no reason. A couple weeks would have done. After that, they just started giving Trump amumnition. That's part of the reason I don't support BLM. Also, the term "defund the police" pissed me off. It's as if they were trying to help Trump. They were such fools.

But you already say it.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:23 AM [ in reply to I can't yet say what the point is, but there is one. We need ]

You can't claim cause and effect. It can't summarily dismissed, either, but the claim is a specious one that will demand some serious evidence to prove it.

There have been mixed reactions depending on the situation and the city. Michael Brown saw riots; Walter Scott did not. What happened in May spread primarily due to the dramatics of the footage of George Floyd. That was a major catalyst coupled with the history with police in Minneapolis.

It will happen again, and it won't be connected to any election. The previous ones weren't.

Re: But you already say it.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:33 AM

You don’t think it’s at least interesting that BLM interest spiked before the 2016 election and then fell off a cliff after? And the same thing happened in 2020? If it happens again in 2024, will it change your opinion?

Sure.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:40 AM

If BLM crawls into a hole and doesn't emerge for the next four years despite shootings of black citizens by police, and then it suddenly re-emerges in 2024, I'll concede. Go ahead and bookmark.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:44 AM

What he is saying is what we all know...everything the democrats pushed down the throats of the sheep was fake. Faux outrage to get the base going. That is it. The media is an accomplice to the information warfare plan of the left.

I had not heard of this shooting at all until this post. You can cite a few obscure web references all day, but I have not seen it in my every-day life which includes plenty of exposure to the MSM.

Today BLM is complaining the Biden Admin is ignoring them. Right, it's because the dem elites really don't give a crap about BLM - they care about votes. If they cared about black lives, they would go to Chicago and save ten lives this weekend. But, alas, the dems have the white house, so they can begin sweeping all the bad chit that happens in the black community under the rug again. Maybe next cycle the republicans will increase the black vote by 50% again and get 18% as blacks continue to figure this out.

Speaking of fake...Jussie Smollett - poster child for the left; liar, race hustler, con man. He embodies all that is the progressive movement in the USA.

Cmon man! You’re supposed to shoot them in the leg***

Dec 15, 2020, 2:12 PM

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic