Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It'll never happen, but how about CU vs UGA every year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

It'll never happen, but how about CU vs UGA every year

Feb 20, 2020, 9:42 AM

We'll drop the coots and UGA can drop the yellow jackets. Play a double header at a revolving neutral site (Charlotte/Atlanta)

JV game: UofSuCk vs. GT followed by
Varsity game: CU vs. UGA

Win-win for all involved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It'll never happen, but how about CU vs UGA every year

Feb 20, 2020, 9:46 AM

it is logical for us to play every year in every sport. Period

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2020, 9:56 AM

They would get upset with us whipping them every year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 20, 2020, 9:58 AM

I never want to play a game following the coots in the same stadium.

The aftermath of all that chicken$**t sitting there for 3-4 hours before we settle in would be too much to bear for our fans and players.

For me to agree to this as Clemson's AD I would need, in writing, a guarantee that the stadium would be pressure washed between games.

The problem is that there isn't much you can do to the playing surface so our players would still be getting a rough deal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We used to play each other every year - then in the........

Feb 20, 2020, 11:39 AM

late 70s and the 80s we got good and were no longer the pushover team Georgia was used to us being. That's when Vince Dooley stopped the every-year scheduling. Yes, it's stupid with us being this close to each other we don't play each other.

they like to brag about the 40 something to 16? record vs

Feb 20, 2020, 12:05 PM

Clemson but as soon as those scholarship limits and NCAA rules hit it's been a pretty close series.

Re: We used to play each other every year - then in the........

Feb 20, 2020, 5:11 PM [ in reply to We used to play each other every year - then in the........ ]

There isn't one decade in which Clemson has a winning record vs UGA. 1960's UGA 5-0-1. 1970's UGA 6-3. 1980's UGA 4-3-1. Following the decade you identify as Clemson as no longer being a "pushover" for UGA, UGA is 6-1 vs. the Tigers. 3-1 in the 1990's and 3-1 in the 2000's.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And uga fans continue to brag about their overall

Feb 20, 2020, 11:37 PM [ in reply to We used to play each other every year - then in the........ ]

Record. Most of which wasn’t achieved in the modern era of football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And uga fans continue to brag about their overall

Feb 21, 2020, 6:12 AM

No bragging. Responding to the suggestion that Dooley cancelled the series with Clemson because he feared what Clemson was becoming. Sorry if you don't like the numbers.

Feb 21, 2020, 7:03 AM

Fill us in on why Dooley stopped it then

Feb 21, 2020, 9:20 AM

The only information I have is what's publicly available. Expansion of the SEC schedule after 1987 meant UGA would add a conference game. Doing this ended the yearly game with Clemson. This didn't end UGA's rivalry with Clemson. Following 1987, UGA alternated two game series between Clemson and SC. Since 1988 - the year that presumably overcome with fear, UGA stopped playing Clemson annually, the Dawgs are 6-2 against the Tigers.

Feb 21, 2020, 10:10 AM

AFDAWG said:

The only information I have is what's publicly available. Expansion of the SEC schedule after 1987 meant UGA would add a conference game. Doing this ended the yearly game with Clemson. This didn't end UGA's rivalry with Clemson. Following 1987, UGA alternated two game series between Clemson and SC. Since 1988 - the year that presumably overcome with fear, UGA stopped playing Clemson annually, the Dawgs are 6-2 against the Tigers.

Should learn to read the entire thread before I respond. Spot on!

Feb 21, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: And uga fans continue to brag about their overall ]

But UGA played TCU and William & Mary In ‘88. Why not drop one of those games and keep Clemson? Your argument doesn’t hold water. Dooley wanted no part of the Clemson series anymore after 86-87 and that’s why he dropped it.

Feb 21, 2020, 11:41 AM

All I can tell you is what happened with the scheduling and what happened when UGA did play Clemson. UGA added an SEC game and still managed to beat Clemson. Georgia didn't stop playing Clemson. They stopped playing Clemson annually. There is nothing in that rivalry which suggests UGA had reason to fear Clemson, despite the narrative advanced on TNET.

Feb 21, 2020, 11:57 AM

Dooley stopped playing Clemson and Danny Ford because of the aforementioned reasons in my previous post. Period.

Feb 21, 2020, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: And uga fans continue to brag about their overall ]

Fill us in on why Dooley stopped it then

The expansion of the SEC schedule from 6 games to 7.

The game had become one of national attention in the final years because of the emergence of CU football. Can't say that was or was not a factor, but back then having a stronger schedule was not as important as it is today.

Feb 20, 2020, 12:06 PM

I would prefer to rotate Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Auburn. Home and home. My thinking is it is better to play different teams while spanking the top tier SEC teams.

The two schools will eventually become conference rivals***

Feb 20, 2020, 12:33 PM

I advocate for 1st game of the season home and home.

Feb 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

Adds a whole nother dimension to the offseason hype.

Every year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2020, 10:35 PM

I do wish we would play Georgia every year. It could become one of the top rivalries in the country. I was lucky enough to see the 2 teams play in the early 80s. The 2 teams hated each other so much... It made the game even more exciting. Neither team, nor the fans, wanted to listen to the other if they lost. It was truly a fight to the bitter end.
By the way, at the end of the 1982 game, our kickoff returner got out of bounds before the clock ran out. Horrible call that cost us the game. I'm still salty about that game (if you can't tell).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

SUBSCRIBE! it would warm my heart to knock uga out of

Feb 20, 2020, 11:32 PM

CFP contention every year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has never ever played arky

Feb 21, 2020, 8:55 AM

Should cu knock that one out first?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to agree

Feb 21, 2020, 11:49 PM

at present, neither team is afraid of each other and that is fine. I think the 2021 game will be hyped more than the 2013 game as both teams could easily be ranked in the Top 5.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic