Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad met with local media today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Brad met with local media today...

Apr 9, 2019, 5:53 PM

Said the season was his fault? I’m surprised @DavidHood didn’t video tape it for this site. Here is bit of it...

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article229026489.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad met with local media today...

Apr 9, 2019, 6:07 PM

It's always the Head Coaches fault, he is the one that runs the entire show for the entire season. Did he feel that he was creating a breaking news story by admitting that the terrible season was his fault!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC . . .

Apr 9, 2019, 6:15 PM

No earth breaking news here . . .

To his credit . . . He owned it . . . He did not throw his players under the bus . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC...but thats

Apr 9, 2019, 6:23 PM

not enough for the bozo critics here who would never go to a game anyway

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also to his credit...He kept the team together

Apr 9, 2019, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC . . . ]

and they showed a LOT of resiliency with so many close losses.

If the players had any issue with BB, they would have gave up. I give him credit for that as well.

I'm confidant BB can lead the this team in the future and Clemson can become a consistent Top 4 team in the ACC and make the Big Dance each year, if......IF we can catch a break on recruiting. Recruiting is the weakest link and it's got to improve.

He knows his stuff, we running a clean program and we have good facilities. The recruiting has got to follow now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Also to his credit...He kept the team together

Apr 9, 2019, 7:14 PM

"Catch a break on recruiting "?Really?
You make your own breaks ..

Catching a Break....

Apr 9, 2019, 7:31 PM

See: Nike paying Zion's family for him to attend Duke.

Re: Also to his credit...He kept the team together

Apr 9, 2019, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Also to his credit...He kept the team together ]

Catching a break means finding a kid or his parents that don’t personally gain on his commitment. Brad runs a clean program so there’s that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To clarify my point...

Apr 9, 2019, 8:54 PM

catching a break, would have been getting Zion, without the help of Nike or any scandalous handlers or recruiters. All signs pointed towards us getting him. Now, I'm not sure any top 25 players don't come with a price.

I like that Brad runs a clean program.

Re: To clarify my point...

Apr 9, 2019, 8:57 PM

Well stated CC. Another +1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top 25 players are hard to come by, and we will seldom,

Apr 9, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to To clarify my point... ]

if ever, get those! If we could just get 1 or 2 top 100-150 players most years, we would consistently make the NCAA most of the time. And there have been plenty of those type players in this state, in recent years, but we haven't gotten any of them.

So true...

Apr 10, 2019, 12:02 AM

I honestly think we'd be a top 3-4 team each year if we got that consistent quality of player each year. Honestly, (1-2) 4 star players every year would be huge.

We have consistently outperformed the recruiting rankings the last 10 years.

Year - Rankings / ACC Finish
2010 - 15th / 5th
2011 - 8th / 5th
2012 - 11th / 9th
2013 - 14th / 6th
2014 - 12th / 10th
2015 - 12th / 8th
2016 - 15th / 12th
2017 - 9th / 3rd
2018 - 10th / 9th

Avg ranking: 11.7
Avg finish in ACC: 7.4.

In the last 10 years, we've only signed (5) 4 Stars,....and no 5 stars. However, in 2019, we have (2) four stars, so things are looking up for at least this one cycle.

Interesting note: Over the last 3 years, Duke has signed 18 players and 16 (....yes, 16) of them were 5 stars. It almost seems impossible to have that much talent and not make a Final 4 over the last 3 years.

Re: Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC . . .

Apr 10, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC . . . ]

No body never said that Brad wasn't an honest gentleman coach, it's only being said that after 10 years his record says everything that needs to be said in a termination situation. Every T-Netter knows that I have stood firmly behind Brad from day ONE bc I did then and I do now believe that he is a good coach, but a good coach isn't going to cut it in the college game, they need to be a good coach and a better than average recruiter, and it's in recruiting where Brad is failing miserably. That has been the down fall by other good coaches that has coached for Clemson basketball. IMHO, a lot more needs to be and should be done by the Administration before we ever become a top five team just in the ACC. But if the Admin is going to continue to close their eyes and wear ear plugs, we will need a recruiter that can at least get us some better talent, and just hire a great assistant if the HC is only good at recruiting, just saying!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed . . . the buck always stops at the HC . . .

Apr 10, 2019, 7:34 PM

110% agree!

I doubt it...I think he's smarter than that and more battle

Apr 9, 2019, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Brad met with local media today... ]

tested...

Not saying he's great...just sayin' I wouldn't belittle his experience.

Re: "terrible season"

Apr 10, 2019, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Brad met with local media today... ]

I don't think that phrase means what you think it does.

Apr 9, 2019, 6:42 PM

Those who want to put him in the guillotine should consider the UVA team and Tony Bennett. Both coaches want to play tough defense - and do. Both coaches want to play very controlled offense - really a half court game - and do. The difference is that UVA can shoot 3s and free throws. That difference is "Talent"..... and that is due to recruiting. As in football. it's not so much the Xs and Os - it's the Jimmys and Joes. Fix recruiting!

Coach B has everything he needs to recruit.***

Apr 9, 2019, 7:15 PM

From a facilites standpoint,

Apr 9, 2019, 7:33 PM

I would say he does now.

Also, another position was added last year to help address recruiting. Now, it's going to take 1-2 more seasons to see if it's going to pay off.

Great post. A lot of people here seem to expect overnight

Apr 9, 2019, 10:24 PM

results from new facilities and staff. The truth of the matter is that recruiting is at least a 2-3 year cycle, and sometimes more. The fact that this 2019 class is Brad's best so far is encouraging.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It's a shame we couldn't get Zion...

Apr 10, 2019, 2:55 PM

...that would have really jump started the recruiting efforts.

Honestly, that would have done more for our basketball program, from a recruiting standpoint, than getting CJ Spiller in Football. ...And CJ REALLY opened some doors for us!!

I agree.

Apr 10, 2019, 3:20 PM

I caught a lot of grief on here for saying that we were going to get Zion, but I truly believe we were very close. People very close to him felt that he was coming to Clemson. I'm sure we will never know specifics, but I believe that money changed hands at some point and Brad wasn't willing to play that game, so we lost him. I'm at peace with that. I don't want us to cheat to win. I know you don't either.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 9, 2019, 6:46 PM

he went on to say that fans that are questing his coaching ability need to worry about their son's little league team and leave coaching to the professionals. He said that Clemson has a lot of Arm Chair Coaches and and he has yet to meet one that will tell him about his coaching to his face.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would frankly tell him to his face that he needs to do a

Apr 9, 2019, 7:16 PM

lot better. And I think he'd agree.

Re: I would frankly tell him to his face that he needs to do a

Apr 9, 2019, 8:47 PM

Give your theory a test and please record it. I want to see Brad nonverbally give your opinion the respect it deserves.

Apr 9, 2019, 9:55 PM

The last time I went to a game in 08 I tried to tell him. They wouldn't even let me on the court. I thought we always rushed the field and met at the paw?

Apr 9, 2019, 9:52 PM [ in reply to I would frankly tell him to his face that he needs to do a ]

I believe TB's point is that BB's critics don't know *#$t about basketball.

Including you.

But you know how to read a scoreboard, so that's as intelligent--basketball wise--as it gets.

At least, as demonstrated on this forum.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:26 PM

Don’t waste your effort RW. His mommy took away his computer time for tomorrow for not emptying the dishwasher.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to I would frankly tell him to his face that he needs to do a ]

You go girl! By the way, I figured out your infatuation

Apr 10, 2019, 7:13 AM

with Coach Brownell. First of all, I already know you're a woman because I've met you. Secondly, I don't think you're married. Even if you are married, I believe the obvious conclusion is that you literally have a crush on Coach B. That's what's up with the youth picture of him.

You can admit it now. You're out of the closet. No big deal Judge. Go Tigers.

Re: Brad met with local media today...***

Apr 9, 2019, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Brad met with local media today... ]

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Brad met with local media today...***

Apr 9, 2019, 8:53 PM

Where’s the mullet??????? Seems awkward without it.

Looking back, CBB seems to rock it best when his

Apr 9, 2019, 11:32 PM

#### is on the line (1st year - NCAA, '13-14 - NIT Semis, '17-18 - NCAA) and rocking chair it the year after getting a salary and/or guarantee bump (the season after all of the above).

That's unfortunate seeing as how his new renegotiated buyout will keep him comfy for a few more years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looking back, CBB seems to rock it best when his

Apr 10, 2019, 2:03 PM

I agree that DRAD wasn't paying attention when he and the Admin signed a contract with that type of buyout with only one real NCAA tourney with his players. I don't know if they have Q cards for Do and don't do reminders or not, but there should be several in the Admin conference room where they look over and vote to sign a contract, and the same goes for DRAD's office, and the office of his assistant, and especially for the one that proof reads these coaching contract. With Brad's contract for sure, they signed a contract that is almost impossible to buyout if they were to decide that he must go and someone new brought in, just saying, this type of buyout is ludicrous putting it mildly!!!!

Apr 10, 2019, 3:43 PM

The first step to fixing a problem is realizing that one exists. At least he’s not in Tommy Bowden land, I.E. thinking he’s doing a good job when pretty much anyone can do the same

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic