Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All this talk about Trevor coming back next year....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

All this talk about Trevor coming back next year....

Oct 28, 2020, 2:38 PM

..... because he made a very innocuous statement, "We'll see" has me interested.

Maybe it's because Clemson is my second favorite team, not my favorite that I see things a little differently. Maybe it's because I'm old and senile and not thinking clearly. (I'm so old that when I was a teen we had to watch TV by candlelight because there was no electricity.)

But, folks, Trevor ain't coming back. He'll be in the NFL next year (if there is an NFL next year).

1. He'll have a degree.
2. He'll have a wife.
3. He'll be the #1 overall pick in the draft.
4. He'll have a contract that will guarantee his family financial security for the rest of their lives.

Forget about all that stuff about not wanting to play for the Jets, or whoever has the #1 pick. Maybe he'll pull an Elway or a Manning. Maybe not. But, he ain't coming back. There is no guarantee that whoever has the #1 pick next year will be any better than the team who has the #1 pick this year.

Who on this board would advise his son to give up $80 million dollars in guaranteed money now on the possibility that it may be more next year?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People said the same thing about CJ Spiller and Travis ETN

Oct 28, 2020, 2:54 PM

among many others.

Who knows what goes through the mind of a 20 year old kid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Neither of whom were the consensus #1 pick...If Dabo doesn't

Oct 28, 2020, 4:30 PM

force him to leave, he's done him a tremendous disservice

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he loves Clemson, dabo and his teammates

Oct 28, 2020, 2:55 PM

it would not shock me one bit.

I was thinking he could come back before he made that statement. The guy loves winning Natty's for Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he loves Clemson, dabo and his teammates

Oct 28, 2020, 4:50 PM

Deshaun Watson loved Clemson, Dabo, his teammate, and winning Natty's. Why didn't he come back for a senior season even after he wasn't projected as a Top 10 pick?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he loves Clemson, dabo and his teammates

Oct 28, 2020, 5:14 PM

I think it is fair to say that Deshaun's family financial situation was different than Trevor's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ETN ditto ditto ditto

Oct 28, 2020, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: he loves Clemson, dabo and his teammates ]

Why did he come back ?

What kind of deutch bag logic are you using here

I too would be shocked

Oct 28, 2020, 2:55 PM

I'd say 99% chance he heads off to the NFL, would make the jets watchable next year, if they fire Gase.

I'm in the NY area, would love a reason to watch the jets.

Re: All this talk about Trevor coming back next year....

Oct 28, 2020, 3:00 PM

#1 OVERALL picks don't get $80M in guaranteed money. Burrow last year signed a 4-year, $36.2M contract. So, you're off by about $44M. That's kinda nit picking, I know... like complaining about winning only $40M in the lottery.

I think there is a very real possibility that SOMETHING happens to prevent Trevor from landing with the NY Jets. He may elect to return to Clemson for the 2021 season (10% chance). His camp may pull an Eli Manning and refuse to sign unless he is traded to another team (40% chance). He may get an agent, get a little $5M advance from the agent and sit out the 2021 season and roll the dice on the 2022 draft (10% chance).

And, of course, he may get drafted by and play for the NY Jets. I'm saying that's about a 40% chance of happening, should the Jets end up with the #1 overall pick.

We've seen the Jets screw this up before... where they're the worst team in the league and somehow find a way to win a couple of games in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Personally, I'm pulling really hard for either Atlanta or Dallas to screw up more than the Jets down the stretch.

He's a semihole - nit pick him - it's OK.***

Oct 28, 2020, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: He's a semihole - nit pick him - it's OK.***

Oct 28, 2020, 4:02 PM

That is the best reply I've seen in this thread. I love it.

Wellll - then - don't just SIT on that flaming spear - use

Oct 28, 2020, 4:29 PM

it to click the TU button you freaking tight wad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 28, 2020, 3:02 PM

Peyton Manning was also going to be the number 1 pick in 1997 but stayed for his senior year. Andrew Luck similarly was going to be the #1 pick after his 3rd year but stayed for a 4th. It didn’t hurt them. He loves Clemson and the college experience so who knows.

Oct 28, 2020, 3:15 PM

He could get an insurance policy to partially protect himself and return for his final year. By then his wife to be would graduate and he could move on to the NFL. I can see this happening

Oct 28, 2020, 3:19 PM

You're probably right, but if Andrew Luck can shock the world and come back so can Trevor.

Oct 28, 2020, 3:36 PM

I had this discussion earlier on another thread, but I don't think it would be advantageous to us in the long run if he came back. It may provide a short term gain for that one year, but boy it could hurt in recruiting and transfer portal with other QB targets and QBs on the roster. Basically would set everyone else back a year. I mean DJ has seemed gracious to be backup and learn for a year, but surprise, here is another. Don't like that scenario

He gone!***

Oct 28, 2020, 3:52 PM

Re: He gone!***

Oct 28, 2020, 5:05 PM

Whatever Paul Finebaum says.... ??

Oct 28, 2020, 3:57 PM

The Power Rangers say "Not so fast young man!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2020, 4:12 PM

Love, to have him back but it’s very doubtful he would turn down the money. If he goes to the jets the bright side is it’s a large market for advertising, jersey sales and popularity to raise his name value. That alone could make up for the taxes, cold & a really bad team as long as he stays healthy.

I believe he will be a great NFL QB for sure. He loves to work to be better than everybody else. He is a very gifted athlete as well with perfect size for a professional QB too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I agree with you.

Oct 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

As great as it would be for Trevor to come back to Clemson for his senior year, it makes little sense for him to do that.

I know a lot of people talk about how awful the Jets are, but no team is so bad to cause the #1 player to avoid the draft entirely. That would be an incredibly short-sighted move by Trevor, and I don't think he's nearly that stupid.

Obviously he could have other reasons for returning, such as enjoying the college experience, wanting to stay with his teammates another year, or wanting to set more records. But he has his degree, he's accomplished about as much as you can as a collegiate athlete, and he has no reason to stay as it relates to his future NFL career or his life goals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Peyton Manning did it...

Oct 28, 2020, 5:09 PM

and things worked-out pretty well for him.

Just sayin'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So did Matt Linehart....How'd that work out? Bout the same?***

Oct 28, 2020, 5:38 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He gone. ETN had some room to move up. TL is at the top

Oct 28, 2020, 5:26 PM

He wins the Natty this year, he is definitely gone.

The team with the #1 pick pretty much always sucks

Oct 28, 2020, 5:51 PM

unless you get a really unusual situation like the Colts where Manning missed the entire season and then the Colts drafted Andrew Luck. That franchise eroded around Luck due to poor front office management, but it was still in pretty good shape when he got there.

That's not usually the case though. It's much more likely to get drafted by a 1 or 2 win Browns, Bengals, Jets, Jags, etc franchise. And teams with good front offices almost never end up down there so it's usually a bad team with a bad GM/front office.

I worry about the qb room if he stays

Oct 28, 2020, 5:52 PM

The rest of the qbs cannot be happy about it, at all. They want their day in the sun and if he stays that's been postponed another year. They were probably led to believe that 2020 would be his last year, and may well have been a factor in them committing.

DJ probably wouldn't be thrilled

Oct 28, 2020, 5:58 PM

I think the rest are fairly inconsequential.

Re: DJ probably wouldn't be thrilled

Oct 28, 2020, 8:27 PM

I don’t believe the tigers are structured that way. I seriously doubt that DJ is pacing the floor worried about what no 16 is going to do. Remember this, he will be a freshman next year too.

Opening the season against UGA would be more fun for me knowing that TL was going to be in the backfield.
DJ having that game as his first start would be worrisome to me .... and you too!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic