Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER

Oct 20, 2015, 10:28 AM

For those of you who missed it, there was a really cool moment during the BC game where everyone lit up their cell phones as if they were lighters for an encore...

Now imagine if we had the screens from everybody's phone's pulsing orange and purple. For a big third down against FSU. I have been talking to my fellow students about it and they are on board from it.

The real question is if everybody from here would be willing to jump in too. Please let me know if y'all would do this or not, and if there's enough support I'll detail my ideas on how to make it work. It wouldn't cost a thing for anybody

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER

Oct 20, 2015, 10:30 AM

I'll be there - I'm game, if you can get enough support.

A better idea even (IMO): Air Horns. If the cowbells are allowed, I say we up it a bit. We have two hands. An air horn in one hand, my 6+ strobing between purple and orange in the other.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:17 PM

does anyone have a picture from this? I was there and I thought it was pretty neat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 3:45 PM

Here's a link to a panoramic pic I took. I don't understand though - it looks great on my iPad, but here at work on my desktop computer, I can barely see the lights.

If it doesn't load correctly, let me know and I can email you a high res copy.

http://imgur.com/GXmyC1V

Oct 20, 2015, 7:02 PM

Something I just noticed when I got home and looked at that pic again.. Check it out - right on the field in front of me, there's a BC guy on the 50 taking a pic.

"Even BC had to take a peek", as Musberger would say.

Even better than airhorns would be AK47s.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER ]

It's a noted celebratory act worldwide, and I think it would gain attention for Clemson all over the world if all of us brought AK47s and fired them into the air after every big play.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could replace the wooo hooo with Leeleeleeleeleeleelee

Oct 20, 2015, 3:36 PM

so it matches

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

artificial noise makers are illegal

Oct 20, 2015, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER ]

there is an exemption for cowbell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for it BUT

Oct 20, 2015, 10:30 AM

I think it would be way to hard to coordinate with 85,000 people to get them to even get something with an orange or purple background on there phone.

Hopefully after last week we can get them to do just the phone thing again.

As others had said it looked to me like it started in south upper deck stands. I just hope it works again. It would be nice if we could do it every 3rd down.

Re: All for it BUT

Oct 20, 2015, 10:32 AM

Create a free app that flashes from orange to purple on the screen. Put something on the board about it before the game and during the game put something on the board saying to turn on the app and hold your phone up. Shouldn't be too hard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

If there was reliable service/wifi in the stadium

Oct 20, 2015, 3:02 PM

it just might work.

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi and mobile networks don't have nearly enough capacity to handle all those downloads.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:32 AM [ in reply to All for it BUT ]

I bet you that the lights gets banned. I was at a Clemson basketball game and the band had the light up sunglasses on, the ACC called and made them take the glasses off.

Crump <3 $EC

Oct 20, 2015, 10:34 AM

The ACC should worry more about giving us better teams to beat so we don't have to worry about being left out of the playoffs than lights at a game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Oct 20, 2015, 11:21 AM

And better refs!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh for ##### sake

Oct 20, 2015, 2:59 PM [ in reply to All for it BUT ]

It would not be nice if we could do it very 3rd down. You want to be like those fools up in VT that get their keys out? NO. Now sit down, shut up, stand up and yell and scream like you mean it.

Good grief. This is just like people not knowing why the FSU We Will Rock You thing was cool.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh for ##### sake

Oct 20, 2015, 3:47 PM

I'm just ready to scream "F**K the seaman holes, seaman holes f**k animals" in cadence at the top of my lungs during their ghey tomahawk chant crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

This is a better idea that the entire stadium fidgeting with

Oct 20, 2015, 3:51 PM

their cell phones for apparently no reason.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, it's the modern equivalent of the whole crowd holding placard signs

Oct 20, 2015, 4:03 PM

And flipping them in unison...I for one am all for it. If it takes off it'll be another notch in the belt vis-a-vis Clemson wow-factor for recruits.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dude, it's the modern equivalent of the whole crowd holding placard signs

Oct 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

but we could actually flip fsu off in unison mocking their tomahawk crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I did when I was a student..can't say on here how we 'modified' the fsu chant.***

Oct 20, 2015, 4:08 PM

every student body invented the finger hawk chop

Oct 20, 2015, 7:13 PM

along with FFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUU FFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: every student body invented the finger hawk chop

Oct 21, 2015, 4:54 AM

I plan on toughening up the woohoo by yelling, "Woo! Hoo! Woo MF'n Hoo!"

But seriously, wonder if someone could do the Orange/Purple flashing lights with a website and some JavaScript? Seems easy enough to do that way and you could preload the page before the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No it isn't. It is the modern equivalent of holding a

Oct 20, 2015, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Dude, it's the modern equivalent of the whole crowd holding placard signs ]

lighter at a rock show, but that is neither here nor there.

I've yet to see anything that said why anybody did this. So as far as I can tell, it was just a bunch of people going through a motion for apparently no reason. Trying to do it again, even if 100% participation would not as cool.

i don't know why we will rock you was cool***

Oct 20, 2015, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Oh for ##### sake ]

seriously? another epic night.***

Oct 20, 2015, 11:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What, you are going to come to my seat and show me how to

Oct 20, 2015, 10:31 AM

do that? LOL!! I barely got my camera turned on in time to take a picture........

LOL That was me...

Oct 20, 2015, 10:58 AM

I was quick to get my phone out... only to find out I couldn't find my flashlight app!
My wife had hers out so I didn't feel too bad, but fail on my part.

I now have a flashlight app with strobe abilities. :)

How could we make our screen pulse orange/purple?

Oct 20, 2015, 10:32 AM

Are you developing an app for that?

Re: How could we make our screen pulse orange/purple?

Oct 20, 2015, 10:53 AM

free app creator
http://www.appypie.com/

How are you going to

Oct 20, 2015, 10:58 AM

synchronize them so they don't look like some odd shade of brown?:

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: How are you going to

Oct 20, 2015, 11:04 AM

well I'm not really sure how big if an issue that would be, but if the app was set to flash based off the actual time and not when someone opened it they would be synchronized

Oct 20, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to How are you going to ]

well I'm not really sure how big if an issue that would be, but if the app was set to flash based off the actual time and not when someone opened it they would be synchronized

Oct 20, 2015, 3:01 PM

The time would vary slightly depending on the cell provider. It would have to connect to a third party server to get a specific time to coordinate across all networks.

No. Let's focus on making noise.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:35 AM

The decibel level in DV is always lower when they give out pompoms. People need to be making noise, not fiddling with their phones.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: No. Let's focus on making noise.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:45 AM

:)

Kazoos!***

Oct 20, 2015, 10:48 AM [ in reply to No. Let's focus on making noise. ]

I still have mine from last time.***

Oct 20, 2015, 3:03 PM

I was there! It was not loud at all.

Oct 20, 2015, 6:25 PM

big letdown

Re: No. Let's focus on making noise.

Oct 20, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to No. Let's focus on making noise. ]

I was surprised at how low the decibel meter read at BC. It seemed to be just as loud (or close) to the GT and ND games, yet the highest I saw was around 105. I wonder if they moved the mic/sensor...

^^^...THIS...^^^***

Oct 20, 2015, 12:38 PM [ in reply to No. Let's focus on making noise. ]

What about laser pointers targeting Jimbo and Golson?

Oct 20, 2015, 10:45 AM

That would be really killer cool imo.

Test it out on airplanes flying over, first.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:51 PM

Let us know how it works.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Don't Orange and Purple

Oct 20, 2015, 10:47 AM

make a putrid shade of BROWN?

null

Yep just Orange please

Oct 20, 2015, 4:20 PM

Every other phone showing a different color would lose the effect.

Next you'll want to do

Oct 20, 2015, 10:48 AM

The Wave with the light on.

Actually that might be cool.

null

Oct 20, 2015, 10:54 AM

Yea, we'll make a free app anybody can download and put flyers around all the tailgates before the game so people will know about it and how to do it. Or if someone doesn't want to download something just take a picture of your orange shirt and hold up. Just tell everyone you know whos going about it, we've got two weeks to spread the word. C'mon guys, we could do something pretty ### cool here that I don't thinks ever been done before

Oct 20, 2015, 11:05 AM

Orange and purple lights would be too dull. Wouldn't work as well as the regular light. I'd find the "Strobe light" app and get everyone on board for that!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think orange screens would be hard to see

Oct 20, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER ]

on an already orange stadium.

Worth a shot, but not sure how effective it would be.

The LED lights were very bright and distracting in person, but they didn't look that impressive on camera.

Maybe something like this should be done when our offense is on the field to distract the other teams defense. That way we can continue to make noise while our defense is on the field.

Oct 20, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER ]

Sounds good to me.

Just STOP WOOHOOING for a more intimidating environment !!!***

Oct 20, 2015, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Cell phone lights at game...BUT BETTER ]

I got in trouble for STANDING UP

Oct 20, 2015, 11:14 AM

during the game!!! This was in TDO. I had a woman tug on my coat to sit down, but I told her no. Then 2 rows behind her an older (in her 80's) told me to sit! I told her I wasn't going to sit, then her husband says "YOU WILL SIT DOWN!". I was defiant to him and said, no Sir, I'm not sitting. Then of course I catch all these snide remarks from behind me. It's not like I stand during the whole game, but the Tigers were about to score! I've felt bad since then, but what has Tiger Nation become?!?!

How in the he!! can you get people to realize that we are not at the movies!!!

I'm surprised that they didn't complain about the cell phone lights, so good luck with this one.

Go Tiger Faithful!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

What were the people in front of you doing?

Oct 20, 2015, 3:12 PM

For me, that is the deciding factor. I want to stand, but will be nice and just stand to see big plays if the people in front of me and behind me are sitting.

Re: I got in trouble for STANDING UP

Oct 20, 2015, 9:55 PM [ in reply to I got in trouble for STANDING UP ]

It is your seat, you paid for it. If you want to sit, sit, if not then do not. I almost saw a fight in my section about it the ND game, and thought it to be stupid. If you cannot stand, then stay on your couch in your house.

I've got an even crazier idea.

Oct 20, 2015, 11:15 AM

First, I'm going to go into the stadium and find my seat.

Then, I'm going to turn my cellphone completely OFF. That's right OFF. No selfies, no in-game tweets, no virtual lighters or strobe screens.

THEN (and this is where it gets wild), I'm going to WATCH THE GAME! Every freaking minute of it! If I really am feeling zany, I might yell or clap too!

Just an idea I've been kicking around---not sure if it will take off as it doesn't seem to be too popular.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must be a dinosaur...

Oct 20, 2015, 11:20 AM

I leave mine in the car.

Last thing I want to do for 3 1/2 hours is talk or text on a cellphone. So, I like your idea. A lot!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about stop fiddling with your phone and just be LOUD!!!!***

Oct 20, 2015, 11:15 AM

Do it when they play light 'em up. Clemson crowd prompt app

Oct 20, 2015, 11:18 AM

do it when they play light 'em up. Get someone to build a Clemson crowd prompt app. That way it could be updated and changed to find what works best. Also my battery won't last in the stadium for all 3rd downs. Once during the game would be more impactful.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great idea!!! We could assign South Stands Orange/North Stands Purple

Oct 20, 2015, 2:48 PM

Like the Clemson/Tigers stadium split cheer. I love that one!!

Re: Great idea!!! We could assign South Stands Orange/North Stands Purple

Oct 20, 2015, 3:16 PM

I think that will be cool as heck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually there are better ideas than that

Oct 20, 2015, 3:12 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18055333

They do that cell phone light thing at concerts all the time

Oct 20, 2015, 3:41 PM

Don't get why people were so excited about that at the stadium like it was so unique.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:22 PM

That would be awesome but realistically I don't believe there is enough time even though it would be a simple app to make you would have to code it for at least two mobile platforms (iOS, android) possibly windows mobile and get Apple to approve it for it to be available on the app market and then get everyone to download it but I hope I am wrong about this it would be awesome and if that happens someone should record it so those of us that can't make it would be able to see it

I guess it has to be a night game too...******

Oct 20, 2015, 6:16 PM

Let us know how the app creation goes!***

Oct 20, 2015, 7:33 PM

WHAM CITY LIGHTS

Oct 20, 2015, 9:28 PM

Used at a conference, not sure of the details

I would trade that for more people yelling.***