Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There should not be a delay in nominating and confirming
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

There should not be a delay in nominating and confirming

Sep 19, 2020, 8:27 AM

a Supreme Court justice, any more than there should be a delay in passing a budget, or any other laws, or any other duty of the President or Senate. When there is an opening on the Court, it is the explicit responsibility of the President to nominate a justice, and the Senate to advise and consent. This would be their responsibility on their first day in office, up to and including their last day in office.

I believed this and said this in 2016, and I still believe it now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do want to clarify...

Sep 19, 2020, 8:51 AM

I suppose I shouldn't say that there should not be a delay to confirm. There shouldn't be a delay in a nomination and a confirmation hearing and vote, but obviously the Senators have the right to vote "No" if the nominee isn't of sufficient quality for them.

Agree, you don't stop government just

Sep 19, 2020, 8:56 AM

because it is close to an election.

Obama sure didn't hold back from making a nomination to replace Scalia in 2016.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

It's silly. Is it OK in August? February? Last December?

Sep 19, 2020, 9:00 AM

Just do your duties.

Re: Agree, you don't stop government just

Sep 19, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Agree, you don't stop government just ]

And Trump shouldn’t wait either. We all know McConnell was full of #### last time he refused to even allow a vote on Obama’s pick and anyone defending his actions is at best being dishonest with themselves. Trump will get his pick and senate pubs will twist and turn to make it okay to vote this time despite it not being okay last time. They’re good at only maintaining their beliefs when it suits them and honestly I’m fine with that this time because in this case they are doing what’s right. It just sucks they can only do it when it benefits them.

Sadly, in the end it is just more of the same. If Trump wins he would have likely picked her replacement anyway but if Biden wins or next time dems have a majority, it will be used as an excuse against the pubs to break more norms and traditions. The pubs can then get pissy about it until the next time they are in power and then return the favor. Back and forth it will go until some people on both sides grow a pair and stop trying to twist everything so they can “win”.

It’s too bad McConnell was such a POS to begin with or at least this wouldn’t have been an issue.

I think he should have just said 'No, to the heil, NO!'

Sep 19, 2020, 10:09 PM

When asked why he made the decision he should have simply said, 'The American people elected a majority of republicans to put Obama in check and we'd doing just that.'

Mitch's actions were justified but he should have told Obama 'elections have consequences,' and 'suck it.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think Lyn-J will see any action today?***

Sep 19, 2020, 8:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prolly after the game...***

Sep 19, 2020, 8:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Backfield in motion is going to take on a

Sep 19, 2020, 9:08 AM

whole different meaning?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Do you have any concern

Sep 19, 2020, 9:35 AM

of the precedent set by McConnell by blocking the last vote with the justification that it's too close to an election?

How much of you being fine with it is because it furthers your political interests?

I strongly disagree with you but am looking for decent discussion to try and understand your position better.

First, pubs have already addressed that.

Sep 19, 2020, 11:07 AM

I know it won't satisfy dems, but they have addressed it and will move ahead. Get ready.

Secondly, I would never look for consistency from politicians anyway as a basis for my own position. I thought dems had the right to nominate in 2016 and pubs in the senate had the right to vote down. I think it works the same way now.

Sorry, not trying to answer for Prod, just my two cents.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Trump should do his job and nominate someone...

Sep 19, 2020, 11:48 AM

at that point, it's up to Congress to decide what to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First, pubs have already addressed that.

Sep 19, 2020, 11:45 PM [ in reply to First, pubs have already addressed that. ]

Smiling,

The Republicans did NOT allow Obama's nominee to come to a vote in 2016.

Correct. They have the right to do the same thing this time.

Sep 20, 2020, 12:14 AM

They won't, of course, but that's the way it works. There is no requirement for bringing nominations to a vote in these situations, nor is there a requirement for consistency in these matters. Also, supreme court nominations have always been highly political - it's nothing new, not by a long shot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I completely disagree with Sen. McConnell's actions

Sep 19, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Do you have any concern ]

on this issue in 2016. He's not my Senator, but if he was, it probably would have cost him my vote.

And you call yourself a single-issue voter. Harumph.***

Sep 19, 2020, 5:29 PM

I have never called myself that, have I?***

Sep 20, 2020, 2:24 PM

I thought you were.***

Sep 21, 2020, 8:53 AM

Maybe it’s along the lines

Sep 20, 2020, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Do you have any concern ]

Of boys will be boys, but politicians gonna politic

They all flip and flop and pander

Politics shouldn’t be a career

Re: There should not be a delay in nominating and confirming

Sep 19, 2020, 10:42 AM

Trump should do the right thing and nominate Merrick Garland.

Spoiler: he wont.

Sep 19, 2020, 5:30 PM

If he did, everyone in the world's head would explode.

Sep 19, 2020, 5:16 PM

You thinking Amari Rodgers? He looks solid.

Sep 19, 2020, 6:22 PM

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.” — Sen. Mitch McConnell, 02/13/2016

“This nomination will be determined by whoever wins the presidency in the polls.” — Sen. Mitch McConnell, 02/23/2016.

“This is the last year of a lame-duck, and if Ted Cruz or Donald Trump get to be president, they’ve all asked us not to confirm or take up a selection by president Obama. So if a vacancy occurs in their last year, of their first term, guess what, you will use their words against them. You will use their words against them. I want you to use my words against me. If there is a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said ‘let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination,’ and you could use my words against me and you'd be absolutely right.” — Sen. Lindsey Graham, (R-SC) 03/10/2016

“I'll tell you this, if an opening comes in President Trump's term, and the primary process has started, we will wait until the next election.” — Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), 10/03/2018 .

“A lifetime appointment that could dramatically impact individual freedoms and change the direction of the court for at least a generation is too important to get bogged down in politics. The American people shouldn’t be denied a voice.” —Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) 03/16/2016

“We have a unique opportunity for the American people to have a voice in the direction of the Supreme Court. Our side believes very strongly that the people deserve to be heard, and they should be allowed to decide, through their vote for the next president, the type of person who should be on the Supreme Court.” — Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), 04/07/2016

“The president [Obama] exercised his unquestioned authority under the constitution, to nominate someone to this vacancy. But that same constitution reserves to the United States senate, and the United States senate alone, the right to either grant or withhold consent to that nominee.” — Sen. John Cornyn, (R-Texas). 03/16/2016

“Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.” — Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) 02/13/2016.

“It has been 80 years since the Senate has confirmed any judicial vacancy for the Supreme Court that occurred during a presidential election and the Republican majority in the Senate last year announced before Merrick Garland was nominated, before anyone was nominated, that we were going to keep this seat open and let the American people decide.” — Sen. Ted Cruz, (R-Texas) 01/31/2016

“I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision.” —Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Col.) 02/13/2016

”I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term?—?I would say that if it was a Republican president?.” —Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) 02/01/2016

“It makes the current presidential election all that more important as not only are the next four years in play, but an entire generation of Americans will be impacted by the balance of the court and its rulings. Sens. Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid have all made statements that the Senate does not have to confirm presidential nominations in an election year. I will oppose this nomination as I firmly believe we must let the people decide the Supreme Court’s future.” —Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) 03/16/2016

“We will see what the people say this fall and our next president, regardless of party, will be making that nomination.” —Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) 02/25/2016

“Vice President Biden’s remarks may have been voiced in 1992, but they are entirely applicable to 2016. The campaign is already under way. It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next president.” —Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), 02/26/16

“The very balance of our nation’s highest court is in serious jeopardy. As a member of theSenate Judiciary Committee, I will do everything in my power to encourage the president and Senate leadership not to start this process until we hear from the American people.” —Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.) 02/18/2016

“The next President must nominate successor that upholds constitution, founding principles.” —Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) 02/13/2016

“I strongly agree that the American people should decide the future direction of the Supreme Court by their votes for president and the majority party in the U.S. Senate.” —Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.) 02/14/2016

“The next Court appointment should be made by the newly-elected president.” —Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Penn.), 02/15/2016

“In this election year, the American people will have an opportunity to have their say in the future direction of our country. For this reason, I believe the vacancy left open by Justice Antonin Scalia should not be filled until there is a new president.” —Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) 02/13/2016

“The Senate should not confirm a new Supreme Court justice until we have a new president.” Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) 02/13/2016

“There is 80 years of precedent for not nominating and confirming a new justice of the Supreme Court in the final year of a president’s term so that people can have a say in this very important decision.” —Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.) 02/17/2016

“I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations. This wouldn’t be unusual. It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year.” —Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) 02/15/2016

Wow that was a lot of effort

Sep 19, 2020, 7:19 PM

Good luck with that,

Sep 19, 2020, 10:00 PM

You won’t get the votes. Long live Mitt Romney, lol.

Good luck with that,

Sep 19, 2020, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Wow that was a lot of effort ]

You won’t get the votes. Long live Mitt Romney, lol.

Re: Good luck with that,

Sep 19, 2020, 10:20 PM

you are telling me that a couple democrats cant be bought?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good luck with that,

Sep 19, 2020, 10:22 PM

i think doug jones vote could be bought

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't need it.

Sep 19, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Good luck with that, ]

Pubs have the luxury of giving up three votes and still getting a 51-50 majority. Your supposition that three pub senators not voting to confirm assumes that they will vote against a republican nominee is asinine. That would leave them in dangerous waters when they come up for the next voting season.

Why would they stick their necks out to join democrats and vote down a SCOTUS nominee when they could so easily abstain and straddle the fence? Even if three abstain that's a 50-47 which is a majority or even if they venture across the aisle and vote with dems then Pence is certainly going to vote to confirm in a tie breaker.

"‘Grossly false’: Romney throws cold water on claim he won’t vote on SCOTUS nominee until next year

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/09/19/grossly-false-romney-throws-cold-water-on-claim-he-wont-vote-on-scotus-nominee-until-next-year-974488

Mitt may not vote to confirm. He's probably checking with focus groups and polls back home right now. Either way, it doesn't matter, Mitt doesn't matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic