Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get

Jan 17, 2020, 4:28 PM

to teach technique to our coaches to teach our guys? Who do you remember as "always" being open? I got three names right off the bat,

Jerry Rice
Michael Irvin
Steve Smith

Others?

Also, I guarantee that every Hall of Fame DB remembers which guys they could not keep covered. It would be worth "polling" them on that, as well.

(Of course, whenever he retires, #13 ought to be offered a job before his retirement news conference even goes public!)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get

Jan 17, 2020, 4:48 PM

IMO, I'm not sure it would really matter who you brought in. It's not just on the receivers technique. Vanilla offensive scheme for the most part(relying on our talent) and WR route tree was pretty limited. Opposing DBs were sitting on the RPO routes. Saw it all year long from my upper deck poor seats. Nothing came easy in the passing game this year when we played good competition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree this is a huge part of it !

Jan 17, 2020, 6:29 PM

We just out talent most teams tremendously.

Re: Agree this is a huge part of it !

Jan 18, 2020, 9:21 AM

Rounding off your routes is OK if you are faster than the DB you are against...but in man coverage you should make crisp cuts...aka Hunter Renfrow to leave that DB...LSU had DBs who were just as fast or faster than our WR's and they held on every play (SEC football...grab hold arm block and let the officials sort it out) which we just were not accustomed to...same issue with OSU...a rounded route can be followed by the DB...a crisp plant and cut is much harder to follow! LSU pushed us to the boundaries and out...then kept on top of us...we were not physical enough and when we were the PAC/SEC officials call PI on the offense (T Hig) Dabo is an old WR coach and he will fix that...big tight end can repair lots of those messes...and watching HR film!

Jan 17, 2020, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get ]

Nailed it. And it is not something that people started saying after the game.

It has been a glaring issue all season.

I will say this. I love Tony BUT if I do not see an adjustment and learning (after Brady coached us under the table with the reads and scheme) I think it is time to really look at things. I really want to see the offense evolve next year.

This game should serve as a wake up call for Dabo and our offensive coaches.

I would be calling Brady tomorrow to pick up some things.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 11:45 PM

you're an idiot

I didn’t see anything he said that warrants a

Jan 17, 2020, 11:48 PM

Personal attack. He has some good points.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn’t see anything he said that warrants a

Jan 17, 2020, 11:54 PM

29-1 and you start saying "something needs to be done"? You're as lost as he is.

Jan 18, 2020, 3:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get ]

U cannot refute or disprove what he posted, frustrated, you respond as a spoiled child would. Poor defense mechanism-

Didn't our coaches teach Renfrow***

Jan 17, 2020, 5:02 PM

Re: Didn't our coaches teach Renfrow***

Jan 17, 2020, 6:30 PM

No ____ his mama taught him** according to Hunter !!

Jan 17, 2020, 5:15 PM

I was saying Monday night that we should get Sammy, Nuk, and Mike Williams to help our current receivers get off the line.

The better defenses will play press man coverage, and those guys grab & hold a lot (our defenders do too). The officials won't call PI on every play, so the receivers need to be skilled at getting open.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Martavis has some availability these days***

Jan 17, 2020, 5:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you were poorly being funny, but Martavis is the

Jan 17, 2020, 5:22 PM

one former player that we want to keep Light Years away from our program right now. The fact that he (and Josh Gordon, apparently) just cannot stay away from substance abuse, even knowing it has tanked their careers, is mime bottling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. The officials only need to call PI on 3rd downs to

Jan 17, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Receivers getting open: What former pro could we get ]

completely kill drives. (Offensive PI.) Not nearly every play.

Jan 17, 2020, 5:34 PM

Irvin pushed off a lot, OL gave Aikman all day, play action (ES). Steve Smith-both quick & fast, reportedly very strong for size; hyper aggressive & volatile w/ a short fuse-fear another weapon of Smith's, weilded in games, practice(shattered nose of DB w/ a punch) or on the set NFL Network set when he blew up on Irvin

Tyler Grisham?***

Jan 17, 2020, 6:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Winner! Heh

Jan 17, 2020, 11:50 PM

Correct answer

Former pro? How about Tyler Grisham.***

Jan 17, 2020, 6:31 PM

Hunter Renfrow***

Jan 17, 2020, 11:03 PM

Jan 18, 2020, 8:01 AM

What about Nuk?

Jan 18, 2020, 8:03 AM

The Clemsom WRs know how to get open and do it through, good routes, speed, strength and heart. But when a defense sees years of film with WRs running the same routes, in certain situations they will sit on past tendencies, jam the receivers out of their timing, and it's the same as covering them like a blanket.

If a play is a timing pass and the receiver gets jammed for a couple tenths or more, then finishes the 2 second route, makes his break, guess what, the ball is over thrown because the receiver never got to his spot. Or if the receiver doesnt get to a spot, the throw sails by the receiver because he has finished the route and is not ready.

How many RPOs did Clemson run compared to LSU? It's getting to the point where new schemes are needed because you can't always out athlete every team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2020, 8:47 AM

Great analysis here, and spot-on. Nice post

Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 AM

Hunter Renfrow

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive