Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aggies vs Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Aggies vs Clemson

Aug 30, 2019, 5:32 PM

Howdy Tigers...

Guess you can say it's officially game week! haha (Weird it's starting on a Friday...)

Since it's just the day after our Game 1s, I'm going to refrain from doing the position-by-position analysis or venture who I think may have edge vs what aspect of the team, etc. I think fans of both schools are still digesting and figuring it out.

But wanted to start off the week with just the HIGH LEVEL thoughts of what I witnessed in College Station last night and what seemed to waft over the post-game call in shows in Aggieland. In no particular order...

1 - Passing and Receiving: As we thought, we expect good things from Kellen Mond (QB-junior). We were surprised we didn't see Kendrick Rogers #13 much last night - 1 catch (Kendrick saved our arses vs LSU to end the season last year). But overall, Mond looked like he improved in passing over last year (a bit quicker, more accurate, more crisp, etc.), even when adjusting for quality of the opponent. Texas State's D line was actually not too bad, and linebackers were good (e.g. they were able to pressure at times), so it seems it's safe to say passing game looks a bit better than last year.

2 - Rushing: Unfortunately, Jashaun Corbin #7 (sophomore) doesn't look like Treyveon Williams 2.0. We were hoping for a "reload" here, since Williams opted for NFL. Corbin wasn't bad, but last night seemed to confirm we won't have as potent a rushing game vs y'all this year. Pleasant surprise was an 80-something rush by a name we haven't heard before (Spiller - true freshman). So I don't think we will be a bad rushing team, just don't look for us to be bruising here. I DON'T think this means we will be one-dimensional.

3 - TE: Definitely an issue for us. Last year we had Jace Stoernberger for one year - a JUCO transfer that did so well that he opted for NFL. Unfortunately, a good-but-true-freshman (Baylor Cupp) that was being groomed to start got injured in summer practice and is out for the season. We may have passed to the TE last night, but since I cannot remember, it obviously wasn't memorable.

So on offense, it's really hard to believe you will see something extremely potent. *NOT A BAD OFFENSE*, but against a seasoned D with returning starters like Clemson, I just don't think they will be able to put up a lot of points. I think it's clear we're a rebuilding team and lack a go-to TE (which Jimbo has said is key to his offensive strategy). *IT WILL BE A BALANCED OFFENSE*, though. I was wondering with the loss of Trayveon Williams if we will be one-dimensional. But I do think Corbin and Spiller will be good enough to keep us balanced. The only question will be whether the overall Aggie O will be enough to move the ball on the Clemson D (if not, it won't be due to one-dimensionalism, but youth and re-tooling we're doing across the board). We had exactly 36 rushing attempts and 36 passing attempts last night, yards produced were evenly split as well (232 to 246 = 478 total yards).

People were gnashing their teeth a bit on post-game call in last night about the offensive line. But it's hard to tell if it was merely Game 1 rustiness, Texas State actually had a good D Line, bland play calling, or what. On play calling, there was no pulling, for example - just straight up "block the guy in front". Texas State appeared to have pretty good linebackers. I think that's where people seemed to settle in the call-in show (open question, they could be good - they could be bad - we simply couldn't tell versus Texas State).

We turned the ball over a couple times headed toward the endzone. So the score could have been even more lopsided (final was 41-7, with a trash time score for Texas State in the last minute with the second teams on the field). We put our second string QB near the start of the 4th quarter. I heard someone gnashing teeth on the call while raising the question about whether we have "problems finishing in the redzone". NO, we just needed to fix the turnover bug (likely just first game rustiness) - we were still moving the ball. Similarly, there was some complaints about settling for a couple field goals instead of TDs. One was with Mond in, so fair point (but the game was already out of hand, so likely lack of focus). The other was with our backup QB in. Game could have easily been 63-0).

Playbook - I think it was obvious we were holding the playbook back to not give more game film to Clemson. Most sitting around me thought so as well. Seemed to be consensus on the call-in show as well. All night on offense it was either "Give it to Corbin" (grooming the new starting RB) or a pretty standard post or fade route. Normally I hate this "conspiracy theory" argument, but it was obvious. Really bland play calling centered on giving Corbin the ball/reps, and we know from last year what Jimbo's offenses should look like.

On Defense, we took four interceptions away from them yesterday. I DO think this was coaching, as our D handlers clearly anticipated the pass. It's hard to say though whether they will be able to do this against a more potent O. I'd say I feel a little better this year about our D backfield than last year when the season started. We replaced much of our defensive front 7, but just going off last night, it doesn't seem too concerning (same as the O line, I think everyone's thoughts are in limbo on how good the D line is). Overall, like our O, our D was "good", but is it good enough with the young players to contain an experienced Clemson O.

Kicking team is STOUT... Braden Mann returned, and literally won the Kentucky game for us last year. Deep and accurate. If there is one thing I think we will clearly have an advantage, it's in the kicking game. I know, not the place where you want to crow, I'd rather think a major unit like D or O will be clearly ahead of our opponent, but it is noteworthy.

If you come to the end of this post scratching your head and wondering what, if anything, it really says... Welcome to Aggie Football 2019 after playing Texas State with a lot of young players... haha...

I really hate to even try to guess a score this week. But if pressed, I think the lines that are out (Clemson by 17) seems about right based on what I saw from my seats in Kyle Field last night. If the youth, coaching, and the "hidden playbook" surprises us, I would NOT be shocked to see an upset. Happy as a cop in a doughnut shop, yes. But most likely something like 28 - 10 or 31 - 17 Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggies vs Clemson- so 2 questions are you coming to

Aug 30, 2019, 5:38 PM

Clemson? And is Miss Reveille making the trip??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggies vs Clemson- so 2 questions are you coming to

Aug 30, 2019, 7:03 PM

Haha yep! Making the trip. Should be fun!

And I honestly have no clue about Reveille. We touched on this in the Aggie Band thread. Certainly, Clemson will be a class environment, so no issues with safety there. But I think they also are concerned with whether the air travel for her looks right (they don't fly her commercial), etc. I tried various websites I know to check, but didn't see something definitive.

My GUESS would be yes, she's coming... but I couldn't find "official" word on that.

https://reveille.tamu.edu/

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/9/20/6685339/aggie-cadet-sacrifices-body-to-save-reveille-with-music

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Aggie-Band-2019-25743967

Texas St is number 120 out of 130 teams

Aug 30, 2019, 5:42 PM

congratulations

their defense is a joke

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aggies vs Clemson

Aug 30, 2019, 5:45 PM

Thanks for letting us know what you think. Here's what I think:

You can dress up your effort with girly-acting yellers and a good marching band, but in the end, your team is going to take a butt whuppin'!

We will obviously both know a lot more about our teams

Aug 30, 2019, 5:49 PM

632 yards of offense against a good GT D was very

Aug 30, 2019, 5:54 PM

disappointing. 632 yards is decent, but we wanted passing yards and tds not rushing yards and tds. They gave up the run to keep the deep ball from happening, but we all disagreed with the coaches and wanted us to throw down field anyway. Very sad. Those 2 dropped tds could have cost us the game. We needed 2 more touch downs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 632 yards of offense against a good GT D was very

Aug 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

Re: We will obviously both know a lot more about our teams

Aug 30, 2019, 7:20 PM [ in reply to We will obviously both know a lot more about our teams ]

Agreed on the depth and experience point. I think that ultimately will be the story of the game. I wouldn't say we (Aggies) were disappointed with offense yesterday. It clearly was being run like a scrimmage game.

I think you guys know more about your team vs GT than we do vs Texas State. But even in scrimmage games, you see things.

If I could boil down my ramblings to something it will be this: You will see a pretty descent opponent, but "pretty descent" will not get past the experience levels you have and at your home. We're too young. Running game is on the backs of a sophomore and a true freshman. Our QB is really good, not all-world-beater, but is arguably a top-15 QB. Receivers are good too, but no "stand out stars". With the defense and both lines, I see no real gaping problems, just a lot of young talent trying to get better. I think this team will be coached and even mentally well prepared to play at Clemson, but simply not ready to overcome the fact you had a lot of players returning. It will take you guys making a few mistakes, turnovers, etc., for us to be in the hunt for an upset and us to play relatively error free. But I think the line of 17 in favor of Clemson is about right given all our unknowns against quality opponents.

Now, if our O and D lines are as bad as some of the doomsayers seemed to think on the call in show, it will be a really long day for us. But I honestly didn't get the sense the young guys we have on the line are that bad. Only need reps and experience to play against the Clemson's of the world.

Aug 30, 2019, 6:33 PM

Who cares what you think. The players will determine the outcome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 11:26 PM

Why are you being a ####????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2019, 12:43 AM

Amen!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for your contribution, we got some salty

Aug 30, 2019, 7:01 PM

Dogs on here today

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for your contribution, we got some salty

Aug 30, 2019, 7:06 PM

No worries... I just skip over the salty dogs.

Someone call me?

Aug 30, 2019, 7:28 PM

:)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Someone call me?

Aug 30, 2019, 7:51 PM

... except you Salty... haha

The good news......

Aug 30, 2019, 7:11 PM

....for us is we have a ton of film of Jimbo aTm team... Whereas last year we had to guess what we'd see. Also very familiar with Mond plus he had the game of the century last we met.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The good news......

Aug 30, 2019, 7:23 PM

Honestly, with much respect, I would throw that argument out on this one. Agreed, not having a Jimbo version of A&M on tape made it hard last year for you to prepare, helping us.

But if we didn't have so many new players in new positions and no apparent TE to go to this year, I wouldn't rely a whole lot on last year's game tape. It may help for specific positions, like how well Mond may be, but I felt like I was watching a whole new team last night. Even the 12th Man player is new this year...

Aug 30, 2019, 7:43 PM

You may be giving our D too much respect. We will find out next week.

But I think we will see a salty OL (Clemson) vs a salty DL (a&M)- strength vs strength.

And a young, unproven DL thats taken a step back (Clemson) vs the same for TAMU.

It will be really interesting, but I would expect Mond to get some major yards running and scrambling.
That will extend some drives and get some points.

The difference in the game will be if our passing game can get rolling some this week and we play closer to our potential on Offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemmer.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 8:02 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't call our DL salty yet... We replaced most of the front 7...

I think the "tale of the tape" in this one will simply be no major mis-matches, but that Clemson simply has too much depth and returning starters at various positions for our youth to overcome. Hope I'm wrong. If I am, it will be because Jimbo had some surprises in the playbook they purposefully kept off the tape yesterday, Clemson just has a horrible game (not likely, but it is why the play the games), or some of our young players that haven't made a name for themselves literally come of age before our eyes in this one.

The only thing that I see we may have the edge on is kicking game. That's not a lot to crow about. But it is significant. We beat Kentucky last year (who was having a magical season) with playing field position. I suspect we will use that in this game too and simply hope our across the board imbalance with youth can hang on for Clemson to make mistakes. Mond will be a bright spot, and he may pull off a few beautiful passes. But across the board, we have youth at RB, WR, OL, DL, etc.

Again, I didn't see anything really horrible on our side of the ball yesterday. But that doesn't mean any of it is world-beater either.

Should be fun to see what happens!

Aug 30, 2019, 7:44 PM

I can definitely see A&M keeping pace for the 1st quarter and the start of the 2nd but if they don't contain Etienne and or force Trevor into some errant throws this offense if just too good and will pull away.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic