Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After learning we don't recruit well enough
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

After learning we don't recruit well enough

Jan 4, 2021, 5:06 PM

I did some quick calculations based on rivals rankings. Over the last 4 recruiting classes we have picked up 82 recruits with an average star rating of 3.79. That goes up to 87 and 3.82 with 2021. Just to compare.

Clemson 3.79(82)
OHST 3.87(89)
Bama 4.01(101)
UGA 3.92(101)

Clemson 3.82(87)
OHST 3.83(89)
Bama 3.96(98)
UGA 3.98(95)

What I learned from this. OHST and Clemson are recruiting at about the same level. Clemson is much more conservative and loyal to their players where Bama takes higher numbers. LSU is likely the next most talented at 3.73 for 86 players in 21. Oklahoma, A&M, and Southern Cal are all around 3.6.

Also it sucks to be UGA who can take 121 players over 5 years with an average rating of 3.98 and fail to win anything.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: After learning we don't recruit well enough

Jan 4, 2021, 5:25 PM

I did some quick calculations as well;
If OSU wins next Monday night, they join some exclusive company;
Clemson with 2 National Championships
Alabama with 2 National Championships.
Want to know what I think of your comparison's?(You probably don't but here goes)
ROLL TIDE.

Jan 5, 2021, 4:17 PM

OSU has 8 national championships and seven Heisman trophy winners. Clemson needs to catch up to them.

Jan 4, 2021, 5:36 PM

You need to understand the issues on the field and compare that to recruiting. We have mismanaged some numbers at key groups and taken lower tier guys that are now upperclassmen getting beat badly. Problem in that game was LBs and LOS (both sides of ball).

2016: OL Simpson, Stewart, Anchrum, Reeves. Pollard. Good numbers and 2-3 solid players. DL: big Dex, NP, Xavier Kelly. Low numbers only 1 good player. LB: Lamar, skalski, Smith. Low numbers 2 good players.

Gets worse from here. Players leave early and too many misses to follow.

2017: OL Vinson, Bockhorst, Dehond. Low numbers 2 misses. Only 1 serviceable OL isn’t good. DL: Foster and Williams. 2 takes and at best serviceable players. LB: Rudolph and Spector. Again 2 takes and iffy at best.
Very bad year.

2018: OL: Carman and McFadden. Again 2 takes, good ones but 2 only. Not acceptable. DL: Henry, Mascoll, XT, Jeffries. Good looking stars but performance hasn’t matched. LB: Venables and Jones. 1 player.

2019 is where it really goes south and we have problems if not for a return to excellence in 2020 and 21.

2019: OL Putnam, Boateng, Rayburn. We missed on several and had no backup plans. Took kids that just aren’t winning at Clemson. We have 1 contributor of that group. DL: Davis, ET, Ohrohrho, Cash, Johnson. 1 has changed positions and only 1 from that group has contributed anything. LB: Patterson, Bentley, Williams, Maguire, Bryton. It’s terrible our best got injured but as a group small contributors.

I will say fortunately it seems Dabo has seen the problem and with the 20 and 21 classes our big problems have been addressed. The fancy rankings only show a portion of the story. If it was that easy Georgia would win things. All this to say help is on the way in our weak areas but it shows you have fast it can turn sour. We had a lot of problems covered up by Trevor and for those years don’t pretend we were recruiting on the same level as the big dogs.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:42 AM

I see your point but it still comes down to averages. At this level we are all recruiting serviceable players at all positions. The difference year after year is breakout players. Outside of the OL those are usually freshman who make an immediate impact. If you bring in 100 players instead of 87 you have the opportunity to find those players and the others transfer. I don’t think our coaches need to use the market to recruit. Instead use the market to open up recruiting without pushing any player away if they want to stay a tiger.

null

Averages are great if...

Jan 5, 2021, 12:56 PM

1) all players were on the field and 2) rankings told the whole story.

With that said, a ranking can look great, but not pan out, and Vice versa.

Not trying to poo poo any optimism for future classes coming in. I do feel better about some of the talent coming in. But, to explain why the O line wasn't as good as we've seen in years past and lack of depth at D line (last year, and young this year) and LB (this year) can only be explained by misses in recruiting the last 3-4 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 12:25 PM

Ohio State’s two best players came from the portal.

Recruiting rankings don’t win national championships. It’s what you do with that talent that matters. You also have to have quality depth. So even if we didn’t bring in many players that were good enough to start because of our recruiting that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be quality players on the depth chart which is what you have to have especially in the big games as well as for when players don’t pan out or get injured or have other issues that prevent them from playing.

People that are anti-portal are anti-portal because Dabo has been anti-portal. The minute Dabo starts using the portal these people will be all In!

Also most people are taking a very simplistic view of the portal and using rationalizations and pretzel logic to support those illogical rationalizations.

Jan 5, 2021, 4:09 PM

We don't use the transfer portal for the same reason we don't recruit 5*s with red flags or let players take visits while recruited. Dabo recruits to his program and commits to players. Take a guy in the portal who expects to come in and play day 1 goes against everything Dabo is trying to build. Maybe we need to play the numbers a little better so we can take a few more players, but building a program allows you to compete year in and year out.

Clemson has built something special for a team that was never expected to achieve this success. If we start breaking that model we could end up like Auburn, LSU, Texas or Florida. The biggest difference is the climb we have to get back.

null

If the poster you are responding to understood football...

Jan 5, 2021, 4:31 PM

he wouldn't be paying for an audience to tell it to, an audience would be paying him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Courtney Brown and Joe Hamilton both came from Alvin, SC...

Jan 5, 2021, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: After learning we don't recruit well enough ]

We should be focusing our recruiting energy there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Don't worry, we are going to take several 10 Stars from the

Jan 5, 2021, 1:02 PM

Transfer Portal in the near future, and there will be joy in Mudville once again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic