Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Darnell Jeffries and team physicals. Today one of my sons is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Darnell Jeffries and team physicals. Today one of my sons is

Feb 4, 2020, 9:32 AM

having his mandatory physical performed to determine he's in adequate shape to play spring sports. His physician always checks for diabetes but I don't know if his school requires it or our Dr. just does that. It makes me curious if that is something our athletic department doesn't check. I think perhaps they should.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Darnell Jeffries and team physicals. Today one of my sons is

Feb 4, 2020, 9:38 AM

I would think that that is a standard part of any "physical" not just one for sports.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depending upon your family history...

Feb 4, 2020, 9:46 AM

and your personal health history, a routine physical may address things like heart disease, diabetes, and cholesterol screenings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 4, 2020, 9:45 AM

I'm sure it has changed a lot in the past 30 years, but back in my day the high school sports physical was nothing more than "drop your pants, turn your head, and cough". Maybe a blood pressure check too but that was it.

Feb 4, 2020, 12:26 PM

Same.

The concussion baseline testing is another thing they’ve added. Not sure that’s part of the physical but in Texas you don’t play until that’s done.

The heart stuff is the scariest one to me. If you’re born with a short circuit in your ticker and it’s been undetected, it can kill you the first time it shows up.

Feb 4, 2020, 9:52 AM

Standard high school sports physicals include: heart check, breathing check, blood pressure, urine testing, and the infamous "cough test".

I guess the grey area is what each doctor actually checks in the urine.

I've never had, or talked to anyone who has had, a blood test for a high school or college sports physical without a problem with one of the routine tests.

If Jeffries urine checked out, that is likely why no blood test was done for diabetes.

This is true. Blood tests aren’t recommended for routine screening in an athlete.

Feb 4, 2020, 11:41 AM

If you have a high risk family history or if you are unexplainably losing weight then you would check it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Urine testing at NC ST

Feb 4, 2020, 10:08 AM

just found the stadium still stinks of it from football season. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 10:11 AM

Diabetes is one of the more prevalent but least checked for disease.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actual diagnosis of diabetes requires the drawing of

Feb 4, 2020, 11:34 AM

blood, and that may not be done in these routine sports physicals. However, possible diabetes can be detected with a finger prick, and I see no reason this could not or would not be part of that routine. If blood sugar is high with this test, then blood would be drawn and A1C levels checked for a more definitive diagnosis. As for Jeffries, it may very well be that he is type 2 diabetic, meaning he may have only recently become one. If that is the case, there is no reason to think the school is not doing their job or adequately testing athletes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Actual diagnosis of diabetes requires the drawing of

Feb 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

I think you may be confusing type one diabetes, which you’re born with, and type two diabetes, which only becomes apparent later in life.

I assume previous physicals would not necessarily indicate diabetes until type two is triggered.

Just based on my limited understanding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have type 2 diabetes.

Feb 4, 2020, 3:12 PM

What is it in my post that makes you think I'm confused?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic