Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Without Divisions is a Model For The Future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,194

ACC Without Divisions is a Model For The Future

Jul 31, 2020, 10:43 AM

This year’s inclusion of Notre Dame is a possible model for future football scheduling if Notre Dame should decide to become a permanent member of the ACC. It allows each team to play each of the other schools more often. No more having to wait 7 years between games with opposite division teams. If you keep the conference schedule at 8 conference games per year and 4 OCC games Notre Dame would be able to maintain their rivalries with Navy, USC, Stanford, and Michigan, and possibly other teams. All conference members would be able to maintain more flexible scheduling.

The biggest advantage may be that there would be no need to add a 16th team. Adding a new member would require finding a school that would increase the ACC TV package @30 million dollars per year to prevent current members from possibly having to absorb a decrease in their share of conference TV revenue. That may be difficult to find. Notre Dame May be the only team that would increase the TV package by more than $30 million per year plus increased TV exposure for the conference. Notre Dame currently receives millions of dollars less in TV revenue than current ACC members even with their NBC package of $15 million per year. This year’s inclusion of Notre Dame’s NBC money into the ACC pool proves there is no problem with Notre Dame keeping their NBC package through its expiration in 2025. All schools would increase their revenue with the addition of Notre Dame to the ACC.

Convincing Notre Dame to become a permanent ACC member would be beneficial to both the ACC and Notre Dame.
It’s time to do away with the antipathy toward Notre Dame and do what is best for the future of the conference and work for full ACC membership for Notre Dame. It would be a benefit for all parties.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Without Divisions is a Model For The Future

Jul 31, 2020, 11:04 AM

Not with so many teams. The only reason Big 12 gets away with it is they only have 10 teams. So you play everyone in nine conference games.

Obviously you can't play 14 conference games each year.

Jul 31, 2020, 11:16 AM

There IS a way.

The NCAA rules state that you can only play a 13th game as your conference championship game IF you either play a full round-robin with the rest of the conference OR at least with the rest of your own division. It says nothing about what you can or can't do with the 12th game. The reason the ACC can do what they've announced this year without a special exemption is because they are actually staying within the existing rules - the ACC CG will actually be the 12th game of the season for the participating teams.

That opens up a scheduling possibility: the first 11 games are set, but the 12th could be a "flex" schedule game. Tell everyone to be ready to play a game on Championship weekend - but don't schedule it. Give the four teams with SEC rivalry games a permanent bye the week before, and the other 11 teams would all have byes during Rivalry Week. That way, as soon as the last ACC games are played (the week before Rivalry Week) you can announce who will play in the ACC CG. The team with the worst record would sit out OR schedule a last-minute "buy" game if they choose; every other team not in the ACC CG would be paired up with another ACC team for their 12th game.

It's complicated, but it could be done...

SEE ALSO: https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/07/faqs-on-new-2020-fb-schedule.html

The ACC didn't ask me but my suggestion is

Jul 31, 2020, 11:23 AM

is that each ACC team play 9 conference games per year and then 2 out-of-conference games. The first game can be Little Sisters of the Poor and the last game can be the rivalry game. The regular season champ plays the next best team in a championship game.

However, each teams schedule is choosen by a televised lottery. Whoever you pick is who you get. The first round the two teams flips a coin to see who is the home team. From then on that team alternates home and away for the rest of the season

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: The ACC didn't ask me but my suggestion is

Jul 31, 2020, 11:32 AM

Problem with random schedule: what if you don't get GT, FSU, VT, Miami, or ND? What if your 9 games are BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UVA, UNC, NC Stat, Duke and Wake Forest? Just the possibility of that happening is probably enough to insure at least 3 fixed annual ACC games...

Jul 31, 2020, 11:37 AM

The issue with the divisions IMO is that they laid waste to overlapping regional rivalry and arbitrarily clustered teams based on the idea some teams need to recruit in Florida and that an FSU/Miami rematch would always be a good thing. Worse, one division (Atlantic) is much more sprawling than the other. For example, all but one coastal team (miami) is closer than four of our atlantic teams (a little bit a fudging as UofL might be closer straight line, but not by cultural/topo lines to UVA.

I think the non-division works for Clemson/Atlantic more than it does for the coastal teams. The coastal kinda works for them because Miami has been weak (and VT too) and this more rotation in the banners.

With the non-division (and 10 games), I think it frees up the rivalries a bit more. Granted, only ONE of our home games is against a traditional ACC team. Ugg.

I still think we need to move to a more regional division - even if that means putting FSU/Miami/Champions ...errr Clemson in one group. It hasn't hurt any other conference (ie SEC West, B10 East, B12 of sorts). If anything, it has helped as twice the non-winner of those divisions has made the playoff.

The other side, the north division would be very interesting and might bolster some of the northern schools.. which is almost getting back to a lot of the old NE independent schools (pre-BE) in one division. ND, VT, Pitt, Cuse, and BC would be some good ol' fun. Even that is a good grouping. You need to add one more to make the division work (I say pick Navy to honor an academy and keep ND happy). Sure navy might not expect to win it all, but neither does Wake - but they do it more than the coots. The only loser might be UVA of sorts since they would go north, but they could be a bit more competitive in that division. Keeping one tie-in game for cross division play would solve the UVA/UNC issue...and even Clemson could play BC regularly.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,194
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic