Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A hearty 75th V-E Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served! ????
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

A hearty 75th V-E Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served! ????

May 8, 2020, 7:29 PM

Thank You All, especially our many Clemson Men & Women Who Died Serving America 75+ Years Ago!

Go ALL TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A hearty 75th VE Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served!

May 8, 2020, 7:41 PM

Kilroy was here! If you’re old enough you’ll identify with that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A hearty 75th VE Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served!

May 8, 2020, 8:36 PM

Bill ---- It's difficult to explain how I and all of my company mates felt, we hooped and hollered and we had no beer. We remained in our compound near a small French village. Just imagine how all the Tiger fans felt when we defeated Alabama in the last second for the national championship and multiple that by a million. Amid all of that we stopped celebrating and had a prayer session. It was a time for celebration, a time for reflection and a time to remember all of those who had paid the supreme sacrifice.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2020, 10:32 PM

All of humanity owes those people a great debt. I so many ways, we came so close to a much darker and more vicious world. Official policies of mass murder on the basis of race and disability. Tyrants bent on world domination. The unlikely blessing of solving Enigma. The unlikely blessing of Norwegian partisans sinking the heavy water boat that would have made the atomic bombs that would have been dropped on London, Birmingham, or wherever. The blessing of fooling the Germans and the slow reaction to the D-Day landing. The blessing of the Germans only perfecting jets, rockets and cruise missiles after their industrial capacities were greatly diminished. The blessing of having leaders like FDR and Churchill come along at just the right time. The blessings of millions of people like my father, who put his body in the way of the Axis, and lost an eye from a mine explosion trying to rescue companions from a minefield. He had to beg the doctors not to take his other eye when they told him if the didn't he'd likely die. Years later if he'd rub his good eye with a handkerchief he would occasionally take out tiny bits of shrapnel. We owe it to the people who suffered and died in that conflict and those who helped rebuild the modern world to avoid whining and self pity, and instead pitch in and help our neighbors who need help.

May 8, 2020, 10:46 PM

Sal - Lute !!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2020, 11:38 PM

My mom’s brother died serving in WWII....he would have turned 95 this year but was only 20 when he died.......some gave much.....some gave all....freedom is not free and the moment we forget this as a nation we will no longer be free.....Go Tigers!!!!!

May 9, 2020, 1:06 AM

Thanks to all that served!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2020, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: A hearty 75th VE Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served! ]

So sorry for your mom’s loss. Thank you to your mom and your family for your Uncle’s Ultimate Sacrifice. ????????????

I hope some of these peace protesters will one day realize freedom is not free. Many people have died or made many sacrifices so they can protest against those in our Military.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: A hearty 75th VE Salute to our TNet & Clemson WW2 Military Soldiers Who Served! ]

The same happened to my mom's brother. I'm named for him.

My Dad's brother was a rescue pilot on the Enterprise

May 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

He came home. My mom's brother mentioned above was shot down over Germany.
I was born 9 years after VE day. Hard to believe the difference 9 years made.

Re: My Dad's brother was a rescue pilot on the Enterprise

May 9, 2020, 8:48 PM

My dad served in Korea and he had two brothers who served in WW2 and three brothers who served in Korea with him.....and they all came home alive and basically healthy after serving in these wars.....all have now passed on but all lived to be at least to the ripe old age of 80 years old and all had very productive lives with their families......but my mom had only one brother and he died serving in WW2 at the very young age of 20....my mom was only 12 when he died and said she will never forget that day they came to her house to tell her that her brother had been killed in action.....even though that was 75 years ago......my mom is now 87 years young and we are extremely blessed to still have her with us......my dad and all his brothers were very fortunate that all of them did make it back home with no serious injuries or health issues after serving overseas while many many others who served with them did not......Go Tigers!!!!!

May 9, 2020, 6:17 AM

My dad was there flying bombing missions in B-24's from Italy near the boot heel up into German territory. He would be 101 this month were he still with us

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2020, 9:28 AM

Thank you for your Dad’s service to our country and for your family who made many sacrifices. To me your Dad is one of many Heroes. ????????????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2020, 9:13 AM

Well said. I sincerely appreciate our Military Personal and their families. My God Bless them each day. Thank you for your service to put country and for the sacrifices you make.

May 9, 2020, 2:55 PM

My granddad, Clemson class of '35, didn't hesitate to drop his civilian life, and leave his wife and two young children behind to go defend our country as an officer in the US Army after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He told of being stationed in The Philippines and being awoken by an air raid siren one night. He immediately sprung from his sleep and dove into a 50 gallon barrel he had buried in a hole next to his tent. After the attack, he resurfaced and everything in the area where his tent had been was gone. He was one of the lucky ones who returned home after the war. We owe a dept of gratitude to all the men and woman like him who put their lives on the line in service to our country.

May 9, 2020, 8:20 PM

Back in the 60s I remember a man telling how he and a friend were roofing a house on December 7, 1941. They stopped what they were doing and made plans. They were in a line the next day, Monday, to sign up for the Navy.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic