Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A fair and nuanced article - food for thought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

A fair and nuanced article - food for thought

Jul 25, 2020, 8:07 AM

I think Dabo (& the rest of the coaching staff) would agree that the most excellent football players are the ones that continually analyse their weaknesses and dedicate themselves to working harder on them.

I think the same can be said of human beings. Is it possible that Dabo has some blind spots as regards the nature of racial relations in our country ? Will he continue to focus solely on his strengths or can he recognize his weaknesses and work on them ?

Dabo has the chance to take this to the next level, too. As a leader of young black (& white) men, can he become a force for positive change in the more meaningful game of human relations ?

I am very respectful of all of the positive influence that Dabo and his staff have exerted in our community, but this is even more important and he is being invited to lead in this meaningful arena. I hope that he will continue to grow and step up to help us all right this long-standing wrong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A fair and nuanced article - food for thought

Jul 25, 2020, 8:15 AM

And he is advancing this throughout his football program. That is the only place he can help. As we have already seen, if he says anything in public it will be twisted by the media into something negative. We can all help by being better human beings in our everyday life (that's white and black alike). "Do unto others...".

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 25, 2020, 12:45 PM

Sorry Pig, but I think he could and should do more. He has been and is more than just a football coach.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

No. He's a football coach. He is paid to win games not be political.

Jul 26, 2020, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: A fair and nuanced article - food for thought ]

Sorry Pig, but I think he could and should do more. He has been and is more than just a football coach.

Yes, he’s a football coach and a Christian. He reaches out beyond his coaching with his charity work to help build homes for the disadvantaged, mobile testing for those who may not otherwise get tested for cancer. Probably plenty of other good works we will never hear about. He is not nor ever expressed the interest to be a politician. He is driven to serve thru his faith and change lives in that manner. That’s way more than most, and I suspect consumes most of his waking hours.

Rightly, he has not allowed others with their own agendas to define his mission in life.

Jul 25, 2020, 8:48 AM

He has and will continue to push a positive agenda.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Note: The pic of him in “Football Matters” sweatshirt was taken months b/4 racial situation..

Jul 25, 2020, 11:43 AM

but used by media against him as if he had just put it on during the heat of the moment.

Yes, not a perfect look and/or message but it was to promote college football happening asap when the Covid19 died down..

but it was Not a belittling of BLM slogan.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Note: The pic of him in “Football Matters” sweatshirt was taken months b/4 racial situation..

Jul 25, 2020, 12:04 PM

Are you certain about that?

Re: Note: The pic of him in “Football Matters” sweatshirt was taken months b/4 racial situation..

Jul 25, 2020, 12:33 PM

Why would you think otherwise?

Jul 25, 2020, 12:47 PM

I think it was a bit tone deaf - and it seems to be equating football to our racial injustice in terms of seriousness.

Jul 25, 2020, 1:24 PM

Yes, probably so. I couldn't see the harm in the shirt, but I never really thought about how it could be taken as a shot at BLM. I don't think it was Dabos intention to belittle the movement, I think he was probably trying to be positive, about the current situation, regarding COVID. I could be wrong. I'm wrong often enough, but hopefully, I can learn from my mistakes and move away from them in a positive direction. Hopefully, we can all move forward.

Are you certain about that? My take: The WAPO article....,

Jul 25, 2020, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Note: The pic of him in “Football Matters” sweatshirt was taken months b/4 racial situation.. ]

..... says something like ..”the picture of his FBM shirt was shown “after” meaning He wore it at
an “Earlier” Time. NOT in the middle of the Floyd
BLM events

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you certain about that? My take: The WAPO article....,

Jul 25, 2020, 1:17 PM

Rusty,
I think he certainly wore the shirt before the George Floyd incident, but Black Lives matter was representative of the issue of racial injustice long before that as well.

I find it hard to believe that there was not some intended reference to Black Lives Matter in that shirt - and the wearing of it regardless of time frame.

Football matters....it does

Jul 25, 2020, 2:09 PM

"Football matters" has been used as a cry by football coaches from the upper echelons on down to the lowest levels for several years now. I know, I help out on those lower levels. Starting at least three years ago when the CTE studies started amping up, at the time many folks were questioning how long football could sustain itself with the PR and financial damage of brain trauma inflicted by repetitive head blows (man, I long for those discussions!), we started saying this very statement to the parents and the players to help reinforce how football provides sound life long lessons and friendships.

Maybe it was a unwitting copy cat statement, maybe continuing to repeat it became tone deaf within the past year, but it was in NO WAY some sort of snide reference to the race movement that was far from the movement that it is now.

Many folks on here say that we are very much too sensitive and taking nuances and possible connections too far, and this is one instance that shows just that.

Nice pulse, bro.***

Jul 25, 2020, 1:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Intelligent response, sheep-bro***

Jul 25, 2020, 1:19 PM

Jul 25, 2020, 2:31 PM

There is nothing more for Dabo to do. He does more than enough.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:07 PM

You’ve got that right!

Jul 25, 2020, 2:45 PM

If this is food for thought my tiny little brain is starving.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 2:51 PM

Where’s the link to a fair and nuanced article?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 3:13 PM

Finally....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Accurate interpretation***

Jul 25, 2020, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: A fair and nuanced article - food for thought ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: A fair and nuanced article - food for thought ]

Sorry 83 (& everybody else)

There were a number of posts about it so I just assumed we were all on the same page. Here it is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/24/dabo-swinney-clemson-black-lives-matter/

I think it poses the important questions in a pressing way without making its own assumptions.

Kinda late

Jul 26, 2020, 9:01 PM

On a poorly written article (by a coot) that was discussed ad nauseam a week ago.

What if he doesn’t have a blind spot regarding racism?

Jul 25, 2020, 9:07 PM

What if those who insist on systemic racism and white privilege are the ones who are wrong?

Honestly, I don’t feel that most people behind the Black Lives Matter cause are ready or able to consider that possibility. They have painted a picture that they are right and if you disagree, you’re wrong (and racist/ignorant/clueless).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What if he doesn’t have a blind spot regarding racism?

Jul 26, 2020, 8:52 PM

Judge,

I think the preponderance of evidence indicates a serious problem with racism in our country (for a long, long time). We might debate particular examples or remedies, but I would find it difficult to be convinced that it does not exist. I will be happy to listen, but I would have to hear quite a bit of convincing evidence to dismiss the problem altogether.

There are people on both ends of the political spectrum that are unwilling to truly listen to the other side or honestly reconsider their own position. But there are plenty of Americans on both sides of the political spectrum that are willing to listen and speck to each other rationally. These are the people who i hope can lead us forward on these issues and many others.

What metrics are we using to support the idea that

Jul 27, 2020, 2:58 PM

racism is a real problem in the United States in 2020?

Statistics tell us that black people are more likely to live below the poverty line, come from a single parent home, not graduate from high school, have an abortion, and have a criminal record. But are those things the result of racism?

I know it's easy to blame the system, or white people, for the struggles of many black people. I'm not denying the fact that some black people have been called racist names or treated a certain way because of the color of their skin. I know racism exists, but I don't accept the notion that it's so widespread that it has permeated our government, schools, and society to the point that it is the reason why black people still struggle with the aforementioned issues.

My hunch is that racism is being blamed for problems which are largely socioeconomic and cultural. If you grow up in a bad area, with gang activity and crime all around you, with only one parent present (and perhaps no parents truly present most of the time), with no emphasis on doing well in school or getting a job or being responsible, how likely are you to grow up to be well educated with a good career and a stable family? Not likely. On top of that, if you're taught that white people are racist and out to get you, you're very likely to resent white people and view them as a problem.

These trends predominate, and continue, generation after generation.

Look at other minorities in the U.S. Other groups such as Italians, Irish, Indians, Chinese, etc. immigrated to our country, many of them poor with nothing but a dream. As opposed to blacks, who tend to have single parent homes, low educational attainment, etc., these other minorities tend to stick together as a family, emphasize education, and value hard work. How many of these minority groups do you see getting arrested as juveniles? How many fail to graduate from high school? How many join gangs? How many end up getting pregnant as teenagers? Not many. The differences here are striking when you look at them.

I would argue that a black boy or girl who is able to avoid or overcome a poor home life, who graduates from high school, and who stays out of trouble, is able to have many great opportunities ahead of himself or herself. Heck, many colleges and universities would view such students in such a favorable light that they would have access to admission and/or scholarships that white students wouldn't. When said black man or woman graduates from college, he or she often has opportunities for hiring or advancement in their careers, simply because they are black. The potential rewards for black people who obtain an education and work hard in their chosen field are arguably greater as a result of affirmative action and the push for diversity.

Again, I'm not denying that there are still racist people out there. I'm truly sorry for those black people who feel slighted or marginalized due to the color of their skin. I am all for continuing to point out those injustices and work as a society to improve things. But to blame an entire race of people (white people) and our entire system of government, education, and law enforcement as racist, to the point that black people don't get a fair shake, is ridiculous in my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What metrics are we using to support the idea that

Jul 27, 2020, 3:13 PM

Spot on Judge

Re: What metrics are we using to support the idea that

Jul 27, 2020, 11:34 PM [ in reply to What metrics are we using to support the idea that ]

Judge, there are many statistics that support your views, and you know that I fully agree with the opinion you just stated very well.

Unfortunately, the narrative of 2020 is that the protestors really, really, really mean it this time, so they are not going to go home until this problem is solved. Teaching them or showing them how to solve their own problems is not going to satisfy them. They want blame or guilt assigned to someone before they can move forward.

And they only want "new" solutions, because "new" solutions prove that we're listening and not spitting out the same old "failed" solutions that apparently were too difficult to master--like staying in school, avoiding gangs, committing to a stable monogamous family unit, etc.

When someone tells Dabo "This isn't a time to preach Jesus," they really don't know him at all. I hope Woody didn't really say that.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:53 PM

Not sure what article is being referenced here. I think Dabo firmly fits into the category of believing in continuous improvement of oneself and being a positive influence on others along the way. I don't think there are many people out there that have had more positive impacts on as many people’s lives as he has. Also not sure what specific wrongs you are referencing that he needs to push for or against. If you think he should become more political and automatically agree and push whatever the hot topic of the week is to appease a never satisfied and rabid media, I strongly disagree. This would do nothing but hurt his main goal of coaching and mentoring young men by placing himself in unnecessary controversy. He can and does have open dicussions with his team about whatever current issues are out there and probably learns lessons daily by doing so. If one day he decides to leave football and run for political office- by all means let him push for whatever political agenda he sees fit. Divisive politics have seeped into every crevice of todays society, and I certainly don’t encourage driving it further into a wonderful sport that should be free of it

If recent events and responses by ‘influential’ members of society has proven anything in the last few months. Its that no one will ever be happy with 100% of everything you do and say. Intentions matter, and you are being foolish by apologizing for everything someone somewhere takes offense to. You are only validating the ridiculous behavior of the eternally offended by doing so. If you think bowing down to PC police gets you out of PC prison, you are gravely mistaken. Never apologize for something you didn't actually do or for following your heart in doing what YOU think is right. Malcontents will always be just that, continue to focus on your passion, and your job and let the mob move on to weaker prey.

Well said double oh seven***

Jul 26, 2020, 2:59 AM

Jul 26, 2020, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: A fair and nuanced article - food for thought ]

Sterling,

1. I think our country's racism is a bit more substantial than the hot topic of the week. I am willing to bet that many of Dabo's players feel that it is.

2. I am not suggesting that Dabo become "political" whatever you mean by that. I am certainly not suggesting that he run for office. However, this is an issue that has and will continue to impact many of the young men that he claims to be leading (& teaching to be leaders, themselves). A leader steps up and speaks out against the evils that threaten his country and his charges. This is not hard. Use your bully pulpit to speak out against racism & against police brutality. Plenty of people who are not political leaders have done so.

3. I am not sure how political correctness gets into a discussion like this, unless you want to take the position that racism doesn't exist or is not an issue worthy of discussion.

Jul 27, 2020, 1:45 PM

Since the original post was vague and did not have have a link to clarify, my post was geared towards what other posters were assuming the topic was (football matters shirt, BLM cause vs organization, systematic racism, etc.)

I certainly don’t suggest that racism doesn’t exist out there. I just haven't seen any facts backing up the claim that systematic racism exists today in 2020 (please provide any evidence if you you disagree). I do see a lot of generalizations and straw-men thrown out that everyone is just supposed to accept, no questions asked. Being a natural skeptic and solutions oriented I tend to be dismissive of all ‘sky is falling’ hype no matter the topic. I want to hear specific problems, a discussion on why those problems exist, and suggestions on what could improve them. Are there still racist Aholes out there? Sure, but I think the vast majority of Americans (even in the South) are repulsed by the idea, and the few relics of days past still out there do not have the power they once did and are given way too much credence by media. This country has come a loooong way in a relatively short period of time with race relations and it seems all the progress we have made is just being ignored. I guess I don't see the need for Dabo to belabor a point that everyone agrees on- racism is bad and wont be tolerated under his roof.

Beyond what he’s already said, what would you like him to do/say that wouln’t involve pushing for policy changes (which obviously then becomes political)?

Jul 27, 2020, 2:03 PM

What planet are you on, he takes care of his players. All of them. Its football, he makes surety program emphasizes life, not football... get a life ...

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic