Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
State of S.C. closure of small businesses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

State of S.C. closure of small businesses

Mar 18, 2020, 12:14 AM

I know alot of small business owners in the food industry. Alot understand why the steps being taken are, however it is not setting well with many that McMaster is giving a pass to the non-essential big manufacturing guys in S.C. Most I've talked to see it as another slap in the face to the small guy while giving a pass to those that have a louder voice in this state.

You take a manufacturing building that houses up to 1000k folks who are all touching the same product repeatedly. This screams as a way to pass along the virus faster than most mom and pop restaurants. I understand money talks, and I'm sure McMaster is more worried about pissing off a BMW than he is Bob's sandwich house.

To me, it just seems kind of hypocritical to claim to be for the small guy when you make a move like this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that's a reasonable statement...***

Mar 18, 2020, 12:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now that's a reasonable statement...***

Mar 18, 2020, 2:19 AM

Thank You

A difference is that the public doesn't come into BMW.

Mar 18, 2020, 1:24 AM

The number of people crammed together in restaurants on a given day far outruns manufacturing. I see the apparent fairness in making everyone close, but that just increases the economic devastation to everyone, including the restaurant workers. He's trying to preserve the restaurant they can go back to.

While I am with him on targeted closures, I could get on board with you about questioning the necessity of the closures. Sure, we need to take measures to 'flatten the curve', but it seems to me there are ways to do that without closing down an industry. The employees are going to be defaulting on rents and mortgages by the first of the month, and increasing from there, and all will be out of food in two weeks. A few owners will default on rents/mortgages at the end of the month, but many more the following month if this goes on, and of course then you're talking about a lost business. And as you know, were talking about a ton of people. A $1000 check isn't going to touch that.

Again, I'm not saying we're not in the middle of a big deal, and that we don't need to take measures. But this one seems like a knee jerk reaction with a huge downside, rather than a targeted response.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A difference is that the public doesn't come into BMW.

Mar 18, 2020, 8:09 AM

Let’s hope the property owners won’t evict those who have to shut down restaurants for missing monthly payments in this situation- would make no sense when they would have to find a new tenant to start getting more revenue and would show no compassion

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 8:38 AM

Many property owners have loan payments to make with the rent checks they won't be receiving. most commercial property is leveraged to some extent. especially now when the economic prospects seemed so bright.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:12 AM

They might have even invested in the stock market that went up....wait that just tanked like USC football..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will be some slack given when its in everyone's

Mar 18, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: A difference is that the public doesn't come into BMW. ]

interest to do so, but banks and landlords owe people too, and dominos start falling eventually.

The bankruptcies from this will be the most unreported thing you ever saw. Or never saw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: State of S.C. closure of small businesses

Mar 18, 2020, 7:57 AM

Why do you think that those large manufacturing businesses are getting a pass? Do you think it's business as usual?

I can guarantee you that changes have been made to increase social distancing, reduce the number of onsite personnel, etc. They are being heavily impacted, believe you me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: State of S.C. closure of small businesses

Mar 18, 2020, 8:09 AM

Yes they are still working, but now there is NO ONE to buy the car because they don’t have money. Pure economics my friend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for food, can they not still do take out

Mar 18, 2020, 8:13 AM

I know its not the same, but I believe curbside/take out is still allowed. This may hurt front end staff like servers/hosts though. Im no business expert but I would think by furlowing all front end operations and only using kitchen staff and a person or 2 to take orders and man the register this may be able to mitigate some losses enough to atleast stay afloat for a bit. May not in the long run be enough, but it buys some time.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic