Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Sunday Rant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,400

A Sunday Rant

Nov 22, 2020, 9:35 PM

Beginning back in the dark ages, that would be about 1930, I began reading the Florida Times Union and the Gainesville Daily Sun sports pages. In addition, I listened to WRUF AM radio and other radio stations with eyes and ears glued to any sports topic. But my favorite sport was always football. I soon learned everyone was writing or talking about the same thing. Now, in addition to the radio and newspapers of yester year. I'm hearing and reading the same things on TV and every conceivable means of communication.

One common topic seems to be the "keys to victory". We've heard and read about them every week and almost every day. "Avoid turnovers", "bring your A game", "play to your strengths", and many more age-old do's and don'ts. The only "key" that matters is to outscore your opponent. Period !!!!! All of the other "stuff" is plain wordage to fill up space while pretending to be an expert.

Before the advent of TV, I listened to Red Barber and Otis Boggs, who made Gator games come alive with wonderful commentary and play-by-play action on the field even though the Gators were horrible. They were to Gator football what Jim Phillips was to Tiger football in later years. Current announcers on TV talk more than did the announcers on a radio broadcast. We don't need them to continually talk when we can see with our own eyes what is transpiring on the field. Thank goodness for that little Mute button on the TV control. What a wonderful invention and I find myself using it more and more.

That's my rant for the day. Sleep tight And don't let the bedbugs bite.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Sunday Rant

Nov 22, 2020, 9:43 PM

Ah, Red Barber. An excellent baseball announcer with the Brooklyn Dodgers and Yankees. Many fond memories of him, Mel Allen, and Phil Rizzuto in the early '60s.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2020, 10:57 PM

met mel allen once when having lunch in a deli in nyc when i was a kid.a very nice,congenial guy.still remember him hawking ballantine beer.being a red sox fan,mel was the only thing i liked about the yankees.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 22, 2020, 9:55 PM

You’re not ranting, you’re PREACHING Joe! Game announcers are atrocious!

Speaking of telling us what is happening, as we watch - is there any thing more ridiculous than the icon next to the team name in the on screen score/down/distance graphic to indicate which team has the ball?! smdh. . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 22, 2020, 10:02 PM

Ahhh, Red Barber, maybe the only one better than Jim Phillips!

Nov 22, 2020, 10:14 PM

Totally agree! Yesterday my wife and I were watching a college game and my wife, who really isn’t a serious football fan, said “those announcers need to shut up! They are talking about everything except the game they are watching!”
Cracked me up!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2020, 11:08 PM

right.announcers are a waste nowadays.wonder how much they get payed to state the obvious.they talk to the audience like are watching a game for the very first time.with you on the mute button-rate it right along with the invention of the wheel.and thanks for your advice at the end of your post.have always given that same warning to my kids and grandkids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 22, 2020, 11:09 PM

Some commentators want to talk just to hear themselves say nothing, some want you to think they are very smart (Joe Klatt), some rather talk about other things than the game, and some actually talk about things very related to the game or persons in the game but they are the smallest percentage. Brent Musberger was awesome at filling time with good info, stuff that mattered. I think Kirk Herbstreit does good job of making good conversation about the games, but when you are at top of game and get to commentate best games weekly, gives you more opportunity for quality discussion.

I hate listening to Pam Ward, she never adds anything of value to the commentary. And it isnt a gender bias, well maybe slightly but she is horrendous. Some just add better content and some should just shutup if they cant. Danny Kannell is good at adding content.

But just use MUTE if Pam Ward is ever on!

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,400
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic