Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Coke/butthurt threads show how false info spreads
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1,670

The Coke/butthurt threads show how false info spreads

Feb 22, 2021, 8:33 AM

They're a good case study in a larger problem. A couple of years ago, TIME ran a good article about how your brain tricks you into believing fake news (I'll link it below).

In one study, fake news was likely to spread six times faster than real news.

I'm not calling the Coke story "fake"; it's simply pushing inaccurate information that was presented inaccurately by web sources that are not reputable. The problem, of course, is that these articles play upon one of two key emotions needed to spread bad information: fear and anger. In this case, anger.

Any person can fall victim to such trickery, but it is shown that those on the far right are more susceptible to emotions rather than logic and reasoning. But we saw even smart people falling for this inaccurate story in the two threads.

Let's apply the logic and reasoning to this story about Coke supposedly holding mandatory training that tells employees to act "less white" (they didn't). Let's get real. Coke, run by white people, is the most successful soft drink company in history and no one else is close. Hispanics actually make up their largest consumer base, but white people aren't too far behind. African Americans are actually their smallest group. It's been that way for a while, actually. In fact, when Coke truly rose as their empire, they pretty much neglected African Americans, thus Pepsi scrambled to make up for that area.

In short, Coke is operated by rich, old white men. They aren't interested in being "less white".

So let's look at how the Washington Examiner fooled people. First, the headline:

Coca-Cola has employees take training on how to 'be less white' to combat racism

Of course, this isn't true. But that's all the Examiner needs to stoke anger. They know most people will click "share" without actually reading the article. But even if a person does open the article, the lead with another false statement, an outraged Tweet, and then screenshots of the poorly designed presentation. Again, most readers don't get farther than this in an article.

But if you actually read all the way to the bottom, you finally have a statement from Coke explaining that this wasn't part of their training. Instead, it says it linked a LinkedIn platform that gave employees further access to more resources and, well, someone linked the video in question in that platform.

This would be like you clicking on a link Crump has on Tigernet, finding another link on THAT link, and then claiming Tigernet supports that last link.

Look, I'm sure we all fall for this stuff every now and then. Even I have to do a little double take when I see a meme or headline that makes me angry. That's why it's important to initially call BS, thoroughly read an article, check the source, and then do further research.

It didn't take me too long to lock down that this Coke story was BS and spread by fringe sites. These fringe sites MUST do this because they can't get the play and clicks NY Times, CNN, Fox, WSJ, and WaPo get actually reporting accurate news. Thus, they have to throw out these curveballs to stay relevant.

Do your research, folks. And don't immediately share, or rush to Tigernet to post it, or blindly believe the OP, when you see it.

Here is the TIME article:

https://time.com/5362183/the-real-fake-news-crisis/

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

If it seems absurd, it probably is and is not true.

Feb 22, 2021, 8:42 AM

A lot of people on this board and in America in general could use a little bit more healthy skepticism and critical thinking when consuming news.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a simple litmus test, really...

Feb 22, 2021, 8:51 AM

If a headline or meme makes you feel angry or afraid, assume it's false and dig deeper before sharing it or posting it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

I forgot where I heard this, but if a headline

Feb 22, 2021, 10:37 AM

asks a questions, the answer is usually no.

"DOES TRUMP EAT BABIES?????!!!!"

"IS NANCY PELOSI THE ANTI-CHRIST??!!!"

I like your funny words magic man

Yep...

Feb 22, 2021, 10:41 AM

Pretty big journalistic no-no. Don't ask questions in headlines or news stories. Save them for editorials.

Has CNN fact checked the Trump eating babies claim yet?***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:50 AM [ in reply to I forgot where I heard this, but if a headline ]

Re: The Coke/butthurt threads show how false info spreads

Feb 22, 2021, 8:49 AM

This just in.... fake news is bad. We can all agree on that

Funny you take such outrage in this fake news, but all the other times it was acceptable. That’s if it damaged trump. Where have you been the last 4 years?

I know I know. Whataboutism. It’s your way of deflecting when somebody calls out your insane hypocrisy.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please, by all means...

Feb 22, 2021, 8:52 AM

Give me examples of the other "fake news" stories I've deemed acceptable.

You don't have to get upset, butthurt, or insulting over the Coke thing. It's not a big deal you fell for it. Just recognize the mistake and do better next time.

Re: Please, by all means...

Feb 22, 2021, 9:18 AM

Show me where I fell for it?

Feb 22, 2021, 9:24 AM

Twice you've called it their "optional training". Coke said it wasn't part of their curriculum at all. You still aren't doing your research or reading the full articles. They didn't say, "Hey, why don't you also check out this video on how to not be white." They didn't endorse the video in any way, shape, or form.

I notice you aren't able to answer my challenge. That's okay. I knew you couldn't.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:31 AM

Oh man. That is so bad. I got got. No big deal that Coca Cola had racist links on their website.

Hold up...

Feb 22, 2021, 9:32 AM

Coke linked to racist links on their website? Please show me.

As in actually provide a link to their website where it does this.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Please, by all means... ]

Twice you've called it their "optional training". Coke said it wasn't part of their curriculum at all. You still aren't doing your research or reading the full articles. They didn't say, "Hey, why don't you also check out this video on how to not be white." They didn't endorse the video in any way, shape, or form.

I notice you aren't able to answer my challenge. That's okay. I knew you couldn't.

I’m a little lost. Below is from their spokesperson. I never said it was part of their curriculum. I said they had a link to this training in their website and it was optional. Don’t know if you know what optional is, but it means they didn’t force their employees to take it. This is a classic example of you falling for so much fake news over the years, that you do mental gymnastics to prove that I fell for fake news.

A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is "part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," but also noted that "the video circulating on social media is from a publicly available LinkedIn Learning series and is not a focus of our company's curriculum."

"Our Better Together global learning curriculum is part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," the spokesperson said in a statement. "It is comprised of a number of short vignettes, each a few minutes long. The training includes access to LinkedIn Learning on a variety of topics, including on diversity, equity and inclusion."

Feb 22, 2021, 9:57 AM

Oh ok. I messed up by saying it was on their website. I was thinking it was their company intranet. I understand how it sounds that it was on their actual website. That’s not what I meant. Apologies. They just had training where you can access the racist linked in training. And it was optional. Still bad.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:02 AM

Nowhere did Coke list it was "optional" training, and even if they did, you do understand "optional" means not required?

Do you really think the most powerful soft drink company in the world, run by old white men, really wants people to be "less white"?

Holy crap.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Please, by all means... ]

They provided access to the LinkedIn Learning series as a resource for employees, and someone happened to include this video on it. They never said it was "optional training".

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

Feb 22, 2021, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Please, by all means... ]

My point is that fake news has been spreading like wildfire over the last 4 years but I’ve never seen you speak out against it when it makes
Trump look bad.

Here are some fake news stories that have come out. I know some of them you fell for. Others you just didn’t really seem to care

- the “fine people” hoax
- the media saying that Trump told people to inject bleach
- Trump being a Russian agent
- the pee pee tape and Steele dossier
- Trump not visiting the graves of fallen soldiers because they were cowards
- quid pro quo with Ukraine
- officer sicknick dying because he was bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher
- Jacob Blake police shooting
- breonna Taylor police shooting
- Hunter Biden lap top scandal

I could go on and on. Every single one of these had far worse implications than the Coca Cola BS.

To be clear, the fake news about Coca Cola was that the training was forced? They still had the link to the blatantly racist training on their website right?

You operate under the same Trump fallacy...

Feb 22, 2021, 9:41 AM

That anything bad about Trump is fake. Because you blindly support him and immediately dismiss negative news about him. Thus, people like you can't be reached with reality.

But here, I'll play:

1. Fine people: He said there were fine people on "both sides," meaning the neo-Nazi side. Then he tried to say he didn't mean those guys, but, well, that's all that existed on THAT side. There wasn't a "I'm marching with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists but I'm actually not one" section in that crowd.

2. Exact quote, which the media played in full context: "A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right? And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

His quote was stupid and sounded like he thought you could inject disinfectant. He didn't tell people to start doing it, but the danger the media noted was that many Trumpies will blindly follow anything he says, thus there was fear people would start doing it.

3. Name one media source that stated as a matter of fact that Trump was a Russian agent. Please provide a link to a NEWS story (not an editorial) where one of the major outlets said that.

4. Steele: Reported as info given to the media by agencies.

5. Graves: Hasn't been proven to be fake, and Trump has disparaged veterans before on record.

6. Ukraine: This happened and he was impeached for it.

7. Sicknick: This wasn't "fake news". Law enforcement originally reported this was how he died, and later corrected the facts. This happens regularly where details from a criminal case can change as more information, particularly from a coroner's report, comes out.

8. I don't know what you're arguing about the Blake shooting.

9. Don't know what you're arguing about Taylor, either.

10. Jesus, the lap top scandal being a scandal was the fake part. Very clear the computer guy fabricated the story.

Again, show me the link on the Coke website.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: The Coke/butthurt threads show how false info spreads ]

The whole HCL crusade is a great example of Fake news causing harm to people.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like Coke should have done a better job at vetting.***

Feb 22, 2021, 8:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm quite certain in hindsight...

Feb 22, 2021, 8:54 AM

They wish they had done their own due diligence in checking what their links went to, and probably will next time.

I also think they might be like, "We're ####### Coke and who cares what these outraged snowflakes think. They'll still ask the waitress if they serve Coke or Pepsi and order a tea if she says Pepsi and we'll be swimming in our profits so #### em."

Right. Or maybe they are just covering their arses, and you

Feb 22, 2021, 11:32 AM

are gobbling it up like they thought you would.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. You're just naively believing fringe websites.***

Feb 22, 2021, 11:33 AM

Feb 22, 2021, 8:57 AM

The Newsweek article is an excellent read. WE ALL can be fooled by this type of stuff and consciously recognizing that fact is the first step towards combating it.

I have a little principle that I think helps me: The more amazed or angry I am about some article, the more time I spend on further investigation of it.

When an article seems to be too outrageous to be true, it often is.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:02 AM

My own personal opinion is we're just going to have to have to fine fake news into oblivion. I hate that we're going to have to...because it's inevitably going to be abused by well-meaning leftists looking to legislate Utopia at some point, but if we don't the Fascists will cancer us to death with it.

I think we're going to have to be real incremental, slow, and deliberate about how we apply it, but I do think the FCC is going to have to start fining purveyors of fake news until disseminating it simply isn't profitable.

Let's face it, the bulk of this ecosphere is really low-rent and they really are vultures who in other lives would have been used-car salesmen or telemarketers; it's just a hustle and the simple this particular bubble pops they'll move on to the next one.

On the surface, that seems like a good idea.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:06 AM

But then we see people like Trump and what he labels as "fake news," and you'd be staring down a First Amendment crisis if a government led by people like him got to decide what is real and what is fake.

I don't trust ANYONE in our federal government, Pub or Dem, to accurately determine what is real and what is fake in the media.

Feb 22, 2021, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: The Coke/butthurt threads show how false info spreads ]

Grr. Stupid sinus infection. First I was glitching because of low blood sugar. Now I'm glitching because of stupid sinuses.

Want. Brain. Work. Right.

Narfle.

Frustrating.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:13 AM

wasabi bro, or raw horseradish, it will clean you right out. My research indicates that this is far more effective than focus factor but has the half-life of cocaine.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is

Feb 22, 2021, 10:09 AM

"part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace," but also noted that "the video circulating on social media is from a publicly available LinkedIn Learning series and is not a focus of our company's curriculum."

Typical left wing ########. Mostly false usually means mostly true.

https://www.newsweek.com/coca-cola-facing-backlash-says-less-white-learning-plan-was-about-workplace-inclusion-1570875

You are (probably intentionally) misquoting.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:22 AM

Here's the actual quote. Bold emphasis are mine. Stop being dishonest, whether intentional or not.

"The video and images attributed to a Coca-Cola training program are not part of the company’s learning curriculum. Our Better Together global training is part of a learning plan to help build an inclusive workplace. It is comprised of a number of short vignettes, each a few minutes long. The training includes access to the LinkedIn Learning platform on a variety of topics, including on diversity, equity and inclusion. The video in question was accessible on the LinkedIn Learning platform but was not part of the company’s curriculum. We will continue to listen to our employees and refine our learning programs as appropriate."

I copied and pasted from the article

Feb 22, 2021, 10:28 AM

you are so easily duped

Re: I copied and pasted from the article

Feb 22, 2021, 10:30 AM

i work for a large company

i know what optional means lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you selectively edited.***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I copied and pasted from the article ]

He must be trying to impeach someone...***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, I copied and pasted directly from the newsweek article

Feb 22, 2021, 11:17 AM [ in reply to No, you selectively edited.*** ]

that I linked. There was no editing. You can read the whole article if you want to or not.

How about...

Feb 22, 2021, 11:33 AM

You look at the full quote I posted and address that content. Explains pretty clearly that it wasn't part of their curriculum.

Re: A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is

Feb 22, 2021, 11:48 AM [ in reply to A Coca-Cola spokesperson confirmed that the course is ]

Perhaps it will not matter to y'all, but Coca-Cola has plants all around the world - places where cultural differences might be much more pronounced and problematic. Their international perspective on this might be a bit different than ours.

Wait, you're telling me Coca Cola has a better cultural perspective

Feb 22, 2021, 2:14 PM

Than old white southern men posting on a college sports forum?

I'm SHOCKED to hear that.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:22 AM

"Fake news is the enemy of the people." - Donald Trump, CPAC conference Feb. 24 2017.

Message was edited by: p6fuller®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Information junkies need quick fixes of increasingly potent

crap to get same high. Misinformation is an addictive drug that leaves addicts desperate and confused.

Go to any bar or restaurant or anywhere _ and the junkies are pulling out their phones to get their next fix. The they want to show it to you. I say “No thanks man - don’t do the heavy ####. Just here to drink a beer and watch the hockey game.”

Dude then says “Lightning fans are a satanic cult that freeze human embryos under the ice so they can be thawed later for cocktails that allow people to live to 250 years old”. I shuffle down a few barstools and ask for my check.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol

coke's optional racist training

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 10:30 AM

It takes an astounding lack of intelligence and logic to think that the most powerful soft drink corporation in history, run by old white guys and built with sales to the white population, is actually pushing the idea that people should be "less white". But you do you, boo.

Coke also doesn't give two ##### what you think and you'll still order it over Pepsi.

No boycott Coke - Drink Pepsi.***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just because Coke is run by white people (as you say)

Feb 22, 2021, 10:33 AM

doesn't mean they won't have diversity training.

Comparing the Coke link to - a link to a link to a link on TigerNet is inaccurate.

Coke has the "Better Together Global Learning Curriculum" as required training. In that Curriculum was a link to "Further Topics" - and this "don't be so white" thing was in there.

I agree The Examiner mischaracterized the issue - but so did you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy crap, dude.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:35 AM

I didn't say "Coke wouldn't have diversity training because they are run by white people."

I said that it's absurd to think that a company would push "be less white" when it's run by and profiting off of white people. Where in my post did you get that I'm arguing they wouldn't have diversity training?

No, I didn't mischaracterize it. Yes, my comparison is valid. Please explain specifically to the contrary.

After all, you just misquoted me in your post.

I've stated this pretty clearly, and Coke did too: That "be less white" video wasn't part of their curriculum or training. Period. Full stop. Any attempts to explain otherwise are simply mental gymnastics.

If it's a link to "Further Topics" directly from their

Feb 22, 2021, 10:44 AM

curriculum - then it's part of the Curriculum. (You can say Period. End of story. Pal. - all you want.)

Yes - I took your statement that Coke was too white to push "be less white" to mean they wouldn't be interested in diversity training. My apologies.

Re: If it's a link to "Further Topics" directly from their

Feb 22, 2021, 10:47 AM

No worries on the last part, but we don't know that's how it was presented. It reads more like they opened up to a massive platform of additional resources and, oops, this happened to be there. Likely Coke will take greater care next time when they do that and didn't intend for this topic to be in any sort of training at all. So no, it's not part of the curriculum.

Or Coke won't give a #### because they're Coke.

Where I work - someone would have lost their job - because

Feb 22, 2021, 11:03 AM

any further topics are intended to further the curriculum. You NEVER link a library of stuff if you don't know what's in it.

We both see it as "nothing to see here" - I just don't think it's fake news; it did happen (whether by accident of not).

Re: Where I work - someone would have lost their job - because

Feb 22, 2021, 11:09 AM

And as I stated in my OP, I wasn't calling it fake. It was just inaccurately reported. But we seem to agree there.

Feb 22, 2021, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: If it's a link to "Further Topics" directly from their ]

On a side note, How many of y'all would actually refuse to drink one brand of cola if your brand was not available.

I am perfectly happy with Pepsi - or Coke - or Chek. There are very few brands of cola that I will not drink.

Feb 22, 2021, 11:53 AM

I'm always going to choose Coke over Pepsi but won't turn Pepsi down if that's what I'm craving. Although I avoid most soft drinks.

Fun fact, though. Most of the time a restaurant is not offering you Pepsi. They offer an off brand like Monarch or something that tastes very similar. Saves them a lot of money, and you can't prove the lie.

I like Coke better than Pepsi (and Chek) - that said I drink

Feb 22, 2021, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: If it's a link to "Further Topics" directly from their ]

a soft drink about once a year...

lol. What did you expect Coke to say?

Feb 22, 2021, 10:55 AM

Yeah you got us ... our bad

I didn't get ya, bruh

Feb 22, 2021, 10:58 AM

Y'all got yourselves. Big self own on this one.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1,670
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic