Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago - Walter Reed - pic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

50 years ago - Walter Reed - pic

Jan 6, 2021, 9:49 AM
thumbnail.jpg(145.5 K)

This photo was made about this time in early 1971 about halfway through my 6 months in traction - note the tibia pin in my left leg below my knee ( they drill a hole through the bone & put the pin through so they can attach weights to hang off the end of the bed to stretch your leg out to the correct length until the bone regenerates- dk how it does that when several inches of bone was shattered and they inserted no pins or anything). You can also see the brace on my left hand since a nerve was cut in my upper arm making in impossible to raise my wrist or fingers - could move fingers the opposite way to make a fist but couldn't open the fist. I looked a lot healthier here than a month earlier since I had gained a lot of weight back. BTW - that is my sister visiting so no comments of the usual type.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago - Walter Reed - pic

Jan 6, 2021, 9:59 AM

Can see the resemblance to your sister, but she's good looking.

Question: after such severe wounds to your leg and arm, how do the injuries affect you today?

Thanks for your service and sacrifice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 10:19 AM

Amazingly, the nerve in my arm regenerated a little faster than the doctors predicted - when it first reached my wrist, I could feel a little tickling sensation there and when I balanced my hand straight upwards without the brace on, I could choose to either hold it in that position, let gravity drop it forward, or actually use the weakened muscle to pull my hand backward which I could not have done earlier. (The Occupational Therapist had to watch me do that several times before she would believe me). The muscle gradually regained strength so my hand operates well now. My leg has not done so well as the nerve that was cut there did not regenerate enough to even feel pain in my foot for a very long time ( and was not a blessing when pain could finally be felt) and I still can't move my foot or toes resulting in a limp. But I still climb trees with a hook-on climber when deer hunting when a ladder stand is not where I think the deer are going to be and a lot of people my age can't say that so I feel blessed every time I put the camo on.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:22 AM

Thanks for sharing. and just thanks!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3,000th TU - thought I was giving it to you

Jan 6, 2021, 10:30 AM

but after I clicked it showed 3,001 so MyFav might have beat me to it

I don't think it was . It may be one of those cases

Jan 6, 2021, 10:41 AM

where it gave two TU's instead of one. You sir have that honor of handing out his 3,000th TU.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think it was . It may be one of those cases

Jan 6, 2021, 12:39 PM

I stepped out for lunch and missed the whole parade. Much appreciated. This calls for changing my beneficiaries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6 months! and people are bitching about staying home...

Jan 6, 2021, 11:04 AM

Thank you for your service.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 12:42 PM

Always enjoy your posts! Would modern technology shortened your time in Walter Reed. I remember when I was in the Naval Hospital in Guam in the summer of 1970 seeing guys in body casts who like you had a very long road to recovery.

My time in the hospital in Guam reminds me of a Corpsman that we had on my floor that had a very large and significant scar on his left forearm. WE asked him about it one day and he said it was from having a large tattoo removed. Seeing all the ink these days makes me chuckle that a Navy man would consider a huge scar better than a dancing hula girl!

I doubt new technology would have helped with

Jan 6, 2021, 2:04 PM

several inches of femur shattered. After I left the hospital (still with an open wound) I had two rather large bone chips work their way to the opening at different times and I had to work with them for a few days each before getting the courage to pull them completely out. Imagine pulling pieces of your own bones out of your body. (Double yuck!) Never told any doctors about that.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Re: I doubt new technology would have helped with

Jan 6, 2021, 4:44 PM

Yeah, that wouldn't be fun! Back then was a good bit before hip replacement and other joint replacement type surgeries, so I was wondering if portions of bone could not be replaced artificially as well.

One of my roommates in Guam had been hit by an AK-47 round right through the middle of his calf. It did not touch anything but muscle ..... no bone. The bullet was maybe an inch from causing something more like what you experienced. The doctors left the wound open for several days and when it started to heal a bit they stitched it up. The doctor let all of us on the floor come in and watch him stitch it up. The doc thought that it has healed a little too much, so after a couple of injections of lidocaine the turned a pair of tweezers over and used the opposite end to "rough up" the wound. Apparently the lidocaine hadn't taken full effect as the patient just about jumped off the table and had a few choice words for the doctor.

Thank you for your service!***

Jan 6, 2021, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jan 6, 2021, 12:58 PM

Thank you and thanks to your family

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic