Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants

Sep 1, 2020, 8:17 PM

During the early summer of 1970, the Pentagon decided that there were too many Non-commissioned officers in the lower ranks and put a freeze on promotions which lasted the rest of my time in the Army. I would have been promoted to Staff Sergeant in June but never reached that level. They were correct about the fact that there were too many sergeants in Vietnam as my platoon had so many that we took turns serving as squad leaders as each platoon had 2 squads of 10 to 15 men. That suited me as I had a fear of giving orders that might result in someone getting killed or seriously injured. Luckily, it somehow worked out that my fear was not realized and nobody was injured in my squad when I was the designated leader. My only casualty was the "druggie" who I turned into the company commander before he decided to commit suicide by pulling the "Geronimo" leap from the chopper taking him to the rear.I have never felt that I was the cause of that since his behavior required him to be removed from the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants

Sep 1, 2020, 8:22 PM

Love it brother. Keep Um coming.

Do you write these down? I think you should, seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A sincere thank you for your service.***

Sep 1, 2020, 8:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, someone TDed a "sincere thank you"??? What a #####.***

Sep 2, 2020, 8:47 AM

Re: Wow, someone TDed a "sincere thank you"??? What a #####.***

Sep 2, 2020, 12:32 PM

2nd that, Thank you......????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sep 1, 2020, 8:30 PM

Oh, those memories - '68-'69 - Pleiku

Sep 1, 2020, 8:32 PM

You were there in some tough times.

Sep 2, 2020, 7:01 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

If you have any photos of the area around Pleiku, I would love to see them. That’s where my father was stationed in ‘66. I always wondered what the terrain, etc looked like.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 5:48 PM

I don't have any pictures except for three framed ones on my wall - one of a artillery fire base, one of a B-52 strike nearby, and one of a helicopter re-supply to the fire base. Sorry, didn't have a camera or the time/thought to take pictures. Too busy trying to kill the enemy.

However, Pleiku was in the "central highlands" (II Corps) and was beautiful country - rolling with mountains to the north. Temp never got over around 84 in summer and nights were cool. But it rained for 3 months during the summer! Would like to see it today.

Thank you for your service, sir!***

Sep 2, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Sep 1, 2020, 8:33 PM

OK, Clover. More of us are jumping on your case. File these stories you are posting. You can edit and add as you see fit later on. Don't wait too long like I have done. There are stories that will be difficult to describe and probably some you will never write.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 8:39 PM

For every comment of encouragement , there probably 20 times as many who wish I would stop posting these stories. Just happy they aren't hitting the TD clicker.

Sep 1, 2020, 8:52 PM

I wouldn’t mind you stopping the posts...they ain’t got nothing to do with Clemson ball

Appears that

Sep 1, 2020, 9:11 PM

A lot of folks wouldn’t mind you stopping period. Notice Clover posts on the Amphitheatre bored. Keep em coming Clover. I was fortunate in that when I joined the Marines most of my SNCOs were Vietnam vets.

Re: Appears that

Sep 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

Don’t mind him, he didn’t get his prunes this morning...

Sep 1, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Thanks for your input- always appreciate knowing how folks feel.

That’s why he is posting it in the Amphitheatre, ahole***

Sep 1, 2020, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Sep 1, 2020, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

You are what is known as a REMF.......

Sep 2, 2020, 6:13 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Looking at your pulse, you don't have much to do with "Clemson ball" either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man....I hate myself for giving you a TU out of habit. Your

Sep 2, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

post is insensitive and disgusting. If I have ever wanted to give a TD, it is now!!

Keep posting clover65®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Clover, I appreciate your stories. As someone who missed the draft for that war by just a year or so, I understand what y'all went through. I knew a guy that lived up the street from us (about 4 yrs older than me) that went and didn't make it back home. That war (as are all wars) was hail and the environment back in the U.S. wasn't any better at the time. Thank you for your service and keep the stories coming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

I bet not. Keep on writing. Hope it is as positive for you as it is to us.

Sep 1, 2020, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Clover65, just as Joe21 has said, this is history that has never been written - your history - and it's worth preserving. And just like poetry and all human experience, memory changes things, and the very expression of that memory puts it all in a context of understanding unique to every individual... such is art on all levels. Memory and art are each painful exercise, but please keep it up, the writing and the recalls, it touches so many lives in so many meaningful ways. God bless!

and Go Tigers!!!

Sep 2, 2020, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

I love your posts.

Sep 2, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Don't ever worry about folks that TD your stories. I love them. I served two tours (101 missions) in B-52s and still enjoy conversing with my fellow Air Force buddies about those times. I just wish the politicians had let the military folks run the show back then. Thanks for your service, clover65.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy both you and Joe's stories.

Sep 2, 2020, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

both of you should print the posts and responses and bind them up in a book for your children / family / friends that might enjoy them in the future

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam -Too many sergeants ]

Sep 1, 2020, 9:13 PM

I missed that war by a couple of years but i did serve in the Navy beginning in 1975...thank you for shearing and your service. I always felt that i was
just lucky by demographics to have not serviced in that war. Again thank you I did have a family member that didn't come back. God Bless

Sep 2, 2020, 8:29 AM

Clover, thank you for sharing these stories - your stories -

Sep 1, 2020, 9:39 PM

it means a lot, to a lot of us. I am in the military. I mentioned before that my father was in career Army, two full tours in Vietnam. My father passed away in 1999 (hard to believe it has been that long, doesn't feel that long ago).

I never got to talk to him about his experiences in Vietnam, not as an adult anyway, I was still in high school when he passed away.

I really appreciate you sharing your story with us. My father was a First Sergeant, coxswain of amphibious vehicles (Army transportation).

Thank you again Clover!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

So sorry for the loss of your

Sep 1, 2020, 9:46 PM

father - can’t imagine how hard that would be while still in high school- my father made it to 88 years of age- I was 65 and it was still hard

Re: Clover, thank you for sharing these stories - your stories -

Sep 1, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Clover, thank you for sharing these stories - your stories - ]

My dad passed away when I was 15 and a WW II veteran. I never asked and he never talked about his service. I knew he was an officer in the Merchant Marines, but did not know until a few years ago that they were the most hazardous branch of service during the war. I guess he was especially susceptible as he was a radio officer on tankers ..... that I presume were refueling war ships all over the Atlantic and Pacific.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:48 PM

Anyone on a tanker was highly susceptible, as well as cargo ships hauling ammo. If a sub or plane hit them while they had even a partial load the survival rate was not good. They were absolutely essential though riding around on a floating bomb! I imagine their pucker factor was extreme. Prayers always for your father and those that served with him.

Sep 2, 2020, 12:12 PM

Thank you JS. In addition to him, his two brothers were career Navy Chiefs. In 1937, his older brother who was stationed near Washington, DC took the oath of office for president of the United States, as a stand-in for FDR as a rehearsal for the real thing the following day. It's a;ways fun reminding friends that my uncle was almost president of the US.

Sep 2, 2020, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Clover, thank you for sharing these stories - your stories - ]

I salute y’all***

Sep 1, 2020, 9:41 PM

Thank you for your service!

Sep 2, 2020, 7:18 AM

Like poster above said, keep 'em coming.

Sep 2, 2020, 8:24 AM

thank you for your service. Ignore the negative posters.

Sep 2, 2020, 9:34 AM

they are probably out of Hot Pockets and grumpy for it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Every time I hear a chopper story from Viet Nam, it reminds

Sep 2, 2020, 12:26 PM

me of these lines from the Billy Joel song "Goodnight, Saigon".

"They heard the hum of our motors,
They counted the rotors,
And waited for us to arrive.
And we would all go down together."

Not the kind of warm welcome anyone would want, for sure.

Thank you once again for your service.

Re: Every time I hear a chopper story from Viet Nam, it reminds

Sep 2, 2020, 5:38 PM

Nice song reference. A good one!

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic