Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam - Pictures 5 & 6 for Vets Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,932

50 years ago -Vietnam - Pictures 5 & 6 for Vets Day

Nov 10, 2020, 8:09 PM
thumbnail-1.jpeg(101.0 K)
thumbnail.jpeg(112.9 K)

The first one is me and my machine gunner to my right - He could really handle an M-60 , even shooting from his shoulder while standing. He was injured by a booby trap the same day as his asst. gunner (who is in the second picture with me) was killed after stepping on a larger one earlier in the day. I was the closest person to both incidents who wasn't injured by either explosion. I would have been closer to the big one if one of the men hurt hadn't told me to stand behind a stone column and cover them as they went forward. But for the grace of God .........

The first photo was just after a pouring rain - notice the soaked jungle fatigues and the hanging clouds in the background hiding the mountain

Added note : I just noticed that I was not wearing dog tags in any of the pictures I have posted - all these pictures were taken after I lost the set we wore around our necks in the Song Ve River while we were bathing. We had a second set that were attached to our boots through the laces - meant to identify separated body parts that could have been hard to match to different casualties.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey CLover, we had a backup QB that wore some jeans that

Nov 10, 2020, 8:14 PM

looked a lot like your dungarees in that pic....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I want to tell you right now, like I told my father in

Nov 10, 2020, 8:17 PM

law, who at 18 got shot through the arm right before the Battle of the Bulge and was lucky enough to find some American soldiers to help him.....as bad as the ordeal was...every day since then has been gravy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First time I ever heard them called dungarees

Nov 10, 2020, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Hey CLover, we had a backup QB that wore some jeans that ]

After returning home from Walter Reed, I wore regular army issue fatigue pants exclusively for almost a year - Had a whole duffle bag full of Army issue clothes that I didn't turn in when I was leaving for Nam - still have my field jacket from basic training with my last name embroidered on it.

Re: First time I ever heard them called dungarees

Nov 10, 2020, 8:44 PM

still have my field jacket too.gave it to my son who wore it in college and met a cousin because my name was also on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: First time I ever heard them called dungarees

Nov 11, 2020, 12:26 AM [ in reply to First time I ever heard them called dungarees ]

That's funny Clover. When I came home Marines in the states were not yet wearing camo utilities. When I came through Okinawa where everyone was turning in their camo, I loaded up a couple of boxes and sent them home. I may still have some around, but I wore them for years.

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Pictures 5 & 6 for Vets Day

Nov 10, 2020, 11:03 PM

cool

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Pictures 5 & 6 for Vets Day

Nov 10, 2020, 11:20 PM

That is so tragic and sad. I really enjoy your stories and have started a scrap book with stories from you , Joe and other who have military stories to share.

Thank you for serving our country and for fighting for the people of South Vietnam.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,932
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic