Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50/50 Balls, Precise Route Running, and Hunter Renfrow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

50/50 Balls, Precise Route Running, and Hunter Renfrow

Sep 30, 2019, 11:02 AM

Watch Bama's passing game compared to ours. It's precise route running at its best. There's a huge difference between "going after" a 50/50 ball and catching a "precise throw" on a definitive route. Tua throws darts between 2 receivers over the middle, trusting his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. While we throw balls to specific zones, hoping our talented receivers make a play.

We can win a lot of games with our talent, but at some point, we also need to have discipline and precision to get those first downs when the chunk plays aren't there. I think Trevor can make the same throws Tua makes... but the coaches have to call those plays, and right now, they aren't.
Hunter Renfrow was the BEST route runner on the field, and we're missing that right now.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

fair assessment

Sep 30, 2019, 11:11 AM

maybe we just don't have a route runner on this team that can handle those types of throws.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50/50 Balls, Precise Route Running, and Hunter Renfrow

Sep 30, 2019, 11:14 AM

True enough about Hunter. The only thing I would say to counter that is that Renfrow's contributions in the NATTY were minimal. Ross, Higgins and Etienne did most of the damage. No reason these three should not be able to shred defenses now.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:43 AM

Stats don't always tell the whole story. To say Hunter's contribution was minimal doesn't take into account the fact that Alabama's defense had to account for him on every play because of the damage he had done to them in the past. This occupied at least one (sometimes multiple) defender in coverage that allowed our outside receivers a little more room to operate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Please... just stop***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put a rush in his face, and Tua becomes not accurate at all.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:18 AM

Just like any other QB, including Trevor Lawrence. I will readily admit that TL has been off target this year compared to last. I also continue to believe that he will get it worked out. We tend to forget that he is a true sophomore playing in the first half of his second college season. The fact that nothing seems to ruffle his feathers, or really excite him is offputting to some. There is a guy in the pros that is kind of like that. His name is Tom Brady. Or, as another well known QB said a couple of years ago when his fan base was going bananas over a poor start: RELAX! His name was Aaron Rodgers. Now, I am not willing to say that TL is either one of those guys yet, but, he ain't the chopped liver that the pundits are trying to make out, either. I would still take him over Tua, any day. After all, Tua doesn't even throw the ball with the right hand. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 11:36 AM

Tua is good and specifically Tua is accurate.

Trevor has struggled a bit with accuracy this season.

However, to your overall point, let's not pretend that since the second half of their game against Duke that Bama hasn't been playing a bunch of "fall at the receiver's feet" secondaries.

Each game their highlights show WRs catching balls and the defensive backs try to grab their jersey with one hand and then fall down.

I'm guessing Bama has scored half of their TDs on long pass plays where there were either blown coverages or pitiful attempts to tackle the WR.

Think back to the Amari Rodgers long TD at Cuse. An ugly tackle attempt following by several guys taking terrible angles.

The defenses Bama is facing are doing that 4-5 times a game so far.

A better comparison for your point may have been Oklahoma whose routes seem to create guys just running around in the secondary by themselves every game. They too have played an even worse schedule than us and Bama though.

We will see how things go from here for each team as the season progresses.

Truth,...

Sep 30, 2019, 12:39 PM

Hunter could ALWAYS get open, and could be relied upon to ALWAYS catch what's throw at him.

Right now we SOMETIMES make the catch, but SELDOM get open.

Perhaps if we worked more to run crisp routes, the catch percentage would improve.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:34 PM

Food for thought, I think we lack the ability to coach our quarterbacks to the highest/elite level in CFB. I say that because Watson's development after Chad Morris left was minimal, same can be said for Lawerence from last year to this...... Both are studs, crazy talent, starting QB's at any CFB team (Including Chase Brice and others), my point to consider or argue is that the elite development from a QB coaching standpoint is not at Clemson right now. Brandon Streeter is a great coach, great guy and bleeds orange but I don't think our staff (outside Dabo) can develop or coach up a really good QB from High School to elite status in CFB. We do a great job developing our players, don't get me wrong! We have great staff too, not complaining just stating my thought. Always a Clemson Tiger, Go Tigers! 5-0.

Sep 30, 2019, 2:23 PM

So you are telling me that freshman Deshaun Watson could have done what he did as a sophomore and junior to Alabama?

Based on his short performance vs Louisville in the '14 season, I'm going to say a big no on that one.

You may be making this post from an emotional standpoint of Trevor not being perfect this season and trying to extend it to Deshaun as well.

Also do you think high school Trevor could have done what he did to Alabama?

Remember Trevor was in the program for 8 months last year before ever taking a snap in a game. None of us really know what he learned or improved in that time frame to be the elite QB he was for last season.

Also he got better as the season progressed last year. I'm guessing that was the result of our coaches, specifically Streeter.

Also this year he is not lacking things that are the difference between good and elite. From the knowledgeable critiques I have heard, he is struggling with footwork and decision-making. Those are hardly elite skills for a college QB. They seem more like a lack of attention to detail by Trevor. He may also have some sort of shoulder injury which I have heard mentioned a little bit.

I respect your opinion and your freedom to express it, but it seems misguided and uninformed. You shouldn't say things in frustration and without knowledge that are a major slight to Coach Streeter and his ability to coach our QBs.

I gave you a thumbs up but.....

Sep 30, 2019, 2:28 PM

You said:

"Also this year he is not lacking things that are the difference between good and elite... he is struggling with footwork and decision-making..."

Those are EXACTLY the things that make the difference between good and great and elite.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

DW4's develop took off after...

Sep 30, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: 50/50 Balls, Precise Route Running, and Hunter Renfrow ]

he started working with Quincy Avery in 2015. Trevor should consider going that same route (if he hasn't already).

Ding Ding Ding... Winner!***

Sep 30, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: 50/50 Balls, Precise Route Running, and Hunter Renfrow ]

Renfrow was good but he really shouldn't be the key to

Sep 30, 2019, 2:53 PM

unlocking the potential of the offense when it still has players like TL, Higgins, Ross, Rodgers, Etienne, and Dixon. If that's truly the case then the staff is doing an extremely poor job adjusting.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic