Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
31 years ago today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

31 years ago today...

Sep 22, 2020, 7:41 PM

a fellow by the named of Hugo ROARED into and through South Carolina. Anybody remember that sucker?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 31 years ago today...

Sep 22, 2020, 8:56 PM

Yes. I remember Hazel too! We need no more of those rascals.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember being terribly drunk after stopping by

Sep 22, 2020, 9:00 PM

Sloan Street, then TTT. And, then waking up with DTs around 4:00am and looking out my apartment window at the massive downpour.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I remember being terribly drunk after stopping by

Sep 22, 2020, 9:39 PM

We threw a big "Hurricane Hugo" keg party in Calhoun Courts. We must of had 200 people there. Clemson didn't get too much of the storm if I remember correctly.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 9:01 PM

Yes; was working for Fluor Daniel at the Union Camp
paper mill in Eastover, a little town between Columbia
and Sumter. On Thursday we had to lay everything down
and tie it down and get the heck out of Dodge. On Friday,
Hugo hit the Charleston area and headed inward to Sumter,
then turned toward Charlotte and weakened. It left a lot
of damage in its path.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 9:48 PM

Oh, I remember that night. I was working for Lockwood Greene on a job for Proctor and Gamble (it was a paper mill that made the cellulose fibers that go into "Pampers" diapers) in Oglethorpe GA. I sat in the bar of our hotel that night for a few drinks while the rain outside came down harder than I've ever experienced. The next morning was calm, cool, and not a cloud in the sky, and we're driving back to Spartanburg listening to announcers on the radio saying that Charleston's historic district was simply "gone". As an architect I was simply devastated. Thankfully, that wasn't exactly true, but the devastation on the coast and further inland was remarkable. God bless anyone and everyone involved with such a storm!

Go Tigers!!!

Sep 22, 2020, 9:05 PM

I remember it really well.Horry and Georgetown counties were a disaster that took weeks to clean up.Hwy 17 from Georgetown to Myrtle Beach look like it went thru a war.Trees were splintered in half on Hwy 17 between Georgetown and Pawleys Island/Litchfield Beach.Never seen so many nice boats that had washed up on to the Highway in Garden City and Murrell Inlet.

Sep 22, 2020, 9:26 PM

Main street of Garden City Beach...

Sure do, was in HS at the time. Went without power for 13 days here in Rock Hill.***

Sep 22, 2020, 9:17 PM

Yep. Was in Talladigger Alabammer staying at some dive hotel.

Sep 22, 2020, 9:29 PM

Was there all week to upgrade the system and do a data migration for our cable TV software program. Most vivid memory was asking a local in the lobby about "the racetrack". She had a beehive hairdo, about 3 teeth, and probably a tattoo of Dale Earnhardt on one boob and Elvis on the other. She looked at me real weird and said - "Racetrack? Huh. That's a super speedway, dahlin".

I watched the TV all night and the next morning as Hugo rolled into the SC coast.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Sep 22, 2020, 9:38 PM

Hugo was worse than Charlie Whitehurst carving up the coots, and that was some serious carving at 63-17!!!

Sep 22, 2020, 10:19 PM

i Worked at the CNSYD at the time. Stayed awake for 512 hours between work and getting everything ready. (worked Mids at the time). Hugo had a fifty mile eye and covered from Folly Beach to ten miles north of the Santee river. Northern Charleston county experienced a twenty foot storm surge. It caused beach damage into N. Carolina. Power was out in parts of Berkeley County for up to a month. My mother in law lost twenty Thousand dollars worth of timber in Williamsburg County. And the funniest thing is that Christmas Eve, we had 8 inches of powder snow. The only White Christmas I have seen in SC Low Country.

Sep 22, 2020, 10:25 PM

I couldn’t get out of Myrtle beach until 7:30 pm because of traffic so we went surfing ?? It was really rough and took forever to get out but the ride in was quick.

I was going to Coastal Carolina living in Myrtle beach off 18th ave south, the damage was pretty bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sure do.. with a follow up "blizzard" that winter

Sep 23, 2020, 10:31 AM

We were out of school longer for the 1 inch of snow than we were for hugo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Pork belly

Sep 23, 2020, 10:31 AM

Tractor

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic