Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2021 RB thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

2021 RB thoughts

Jan 8, 2021, 7:30 AM

The position I'm moat concerned with next year is RB. Not worried, just have slight concerns. I think DJ will fill in very easily for Trevor, and the WRs will be just fine, probably better assuming they stay healthy. I previously thought Lynn J was the guy, but this year has me not so confident in that. He actually looked slower and didn't quite have that wow factor he did last year. Not sure if a little extra weight or lack of touches contributed to that, but to me it's clear he wasn't the same. Melusi looks like a solid RB, but I don't see that flash like he's "the guy". I was extremely bullish on Bowman based on HS and his speed, and I believe he will tear it up at Florida. Hated to see him go. As far as the other guys I really think Shipley gets in the mix, but as a freshman you can only expect so much. Young talent is different than seasoned talent. Kope Pace looks like he will be an awesome change of pace guy that's hard nosed and can get hard yards and move piles. Don't see him as a number one though. Anyone I'm missing?

Excited to see some of the new talent develop and emerge

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2021 RB thoughts

Jan 8, 2021, 7:50 AM

We will have a bunch of guys, but not “THE” guy.

I don’t even know if we’ll have a 1,000 yard rusher. I can a lot of RBs getting touches. Lyn-J and Mellusi will probably get the most. Pace, Mafah, and Shipley will battle for the #3 spot.

But, if we get Ross back then it really shouldn’t matter. Ross, Ngata, Ladson, EJ, Ajou, Spector, Dacari, Beaux, and Stellato... Deepest WR core we’ve had.

Jan 8, 2021, 8:22 AM

You left out Will Swinney!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just find us a “Wayne Gallman” ...

Jan 8, 2021, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 2021 RB thoughts ]

We were a little uncertain about RB when Gallman sort of came out of nowhere to be one of our best ever.

Re: Just find us a “Wayne Gallman” ...

Jan 9, 2021, 12:56 AM

Agree. This is how I feel about RB for 2021.

Jan 8, 2021, 7:51 AM

Mafah sounds like an interesting add to the mix too. I have heard he is similar to Najee Harris but that was just someone's opinion. I definitely think we have some options so I think that will be one of the more fun position groups to watch coming up.

Jan 8, 2021, 7:51 AM

We’re stacked! No need to worry. Recruited very well there the last 3 years. Spring will be very fun to watch that group competition.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well?

Jan 8, 2021, 8:02 AM

Our RB recruiting has not been well. A lot of misses, the only hit we've had transferred to Florida.
Hope the light comes on for our guys, but the early returns are not promising.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very well?

Jan 8, 2021, 12:19 PM

Aren't you forgetting about Shipley?

Did you think the early returns on Bowman were great?

Jan 8, 2021, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Very well? ]

To me, Bowman was not all that impressive when I. Similar situations to when ETN was a freshman.

I saw a LOT more from Lynn-J Dixon as a freshman than anything Bowman did when he got his opportunities.

Dixon is a solid RB and so is Melusi.

Latest returns on Phil Mahfa are very high.

And then there is Will Shipley ... a solid recruiting “hit” that absolutely every program wanted.

Jan 8, 2021, 7:54 AM

So can we get Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith to come out of retirement.(hehe)
You did a good job mentioning ,and discussing most of the backs. We have 7 returners+ 2 new signees if my eyesight is good enough.
But the focus needs to be on the "O" line from what I am seeing and reading on here..
Maybe we will have RB by committee but I think we will be fine.

I think the lack of burst has as much to do with the line as

Jan 8, 2021, 7:59 AM

evidenced by Travis' running this year. LJD will be fine. Melussi played as #2 in a game late in the year and I though he ran better than Etienne in that particular game. Seems quick, and does a good job out in the flats. Rencher is back I believe. Pace has looked promising and seems to be a bruiser. And don't forget Dukes!

I agree with the comment above that it may be a running back by committee. Might look like it did with Gallman/Dye/Fuller/Choice before Gallman took the job. Remember he was not the #1 until injuries got him more time.

Should be fun in 2021! Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 8:08 AM

Is Duke still here

The RBs will be as good

Jan 8, 2021, 8:37 AM

As the OL allows them to be, As far as talent goes, the Tigers are in great shape. Shipley will add a lot to the position as will Mafah. Dixon likely will improve. Will the guards and tackles???? I think the team is hurting in the down linemen. I haven’t seen a great day by the OL in a long time. Even the Citadel pushed them around.

Re: The RBs will be as good

Jan 8, 2021, 4:33 PM

As the OL allows them to be, As far as talent goes, the Tigers are in great shape. Shipley will add a lot to the position as will Mafah. Dixon likely will improve. Will the guards and tackles???? I think the team is hurting in the down linemen. I haven’t seen a great day by the OL in a long time. Even the Citadel pushed them around.

This. I hate to say it, but Jackson Carman's departure may hurt more than losing Etienne.

Carman had 1 great game in his career

Jan 8, 2021, 10:02 PM

against Ohio State last year...all the others he was very average at best. More whiffs than pancakes over his career. He's the guy who would bump into someone, wander around a little and then shove some guy after the play was over.

This has always been a "truism" to me.

Jan 8, 2021, 8:40 AM

A great offensive line will make even a mediocre back look above average.

An average to poor offensive line will make even an above average running back look mediocre.

That tells you where our focus should really be in 2021. Our stable of backs is far above average, even if there turns out not to be one single superstar.

Some seem to be writing off Lyn-J's chances without even seeing what he can do in the #1 slot. I am not among them. I still remember when Spiller graduated, and there were similar questions. Andre Ellington more than filled the bill as the next great one.

Some creme will rise to the top. There is too much talent for it not to happen. Remember, Travis Etienne was a late signee "fallback" plan when we missed out on our primary target that year. I honestly can't even come up with the guy's name right now. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 8:45 AM

I think it will be a committee approach. Melusi and Dixon starting the season as 1a and 1b. Pace will push for more time. All three can pass protect and are serviceable backs. Mafa broke his ankle and I feel won’t be 100% and doesn’t understand pass protection. Don’t expect much from him in 2020.

Shipley: this guy is the X factor. He’ll struggle learning pass protection as all true freshman but like ETN did in his freshman year he’ll have opportunities to plug in and I feel he’ll flash his talent at times.

2022 I believe it’ll be a 1-2 punch with Mafa and Shipley. Pace maybe in there as well. Dixon probably gone and Melusi may transfer. But we’ll see.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hate to say this

Jan 8, 2021, 3:44 PM

but we need Shipley to plug in quickly. I can't accept "RB by committee" after being spoiled by Travis four straight years.

I want Shipley to emerge as the alpha sometime during the season and the backup role can be "by committee".

I'm well aware it's a lot to ask a freshman and probably won't happen.

Not concerned with RB

Jan 8, 2021, 4:19 PM

MoCity said:

but we need Shipley to plug in quickly. I can't accept "RB by committee" after being spoiled by Travis four straight years.

I want Shipley to emerge as the alpha sometime during the season and the backup role can be "by committee".

I like this RB group.

Good mix of physical backs like Melusi and pace that don’t go down on first contact and get short yardage when needed. Melusi has every down back potential. Lynn J is more of a situational back imo but could be great on the edge or moved to the slot at times. He’ll get his shot of course but that is jmop.

Shipley is rated higher than any back we have had since Spiller if you don’t include Bowman. He runs a sub 4.5 40 and is a much more complete back than any of the above coming out of high school. He is a stud and will be pushing for No 1 reps by mid year just like Etienne did. Melusi, Pace, and Dixon will all be productive in their own regard.

O-Line is a much bigger area of concern.

Not concerned with RB

Jan 8, 2021, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Hate to say this ]

MoCity said:

I like this RB group.

Good mix of physical backs like Melusi and pace that don’t go down on first contact and get short yardage when needed. Melusi has every down back potential. Lynn J is more of a situational back imo but could be great on the edge or moved to the slot at times. He’ll get his shot of course but that is jmop.

Shipley is rated higher than any back we have had since Spiller if you don’t include Bowman. He runs a sub 4.5 40 and is a much more complete back than any of the above coming out of high school. He is a stud and will be pushing for No 1 reps by mid year just like Etienne did. Melusi, Pace, and Dixon will all be productive in their own regard.

O-Line is a much bigger area of concern.

Jan 8, 2021, 4:33 PM

Shipley & Mafah will be stars! And I think they will both contribute as freshman

Jan 8, 2021, 4:36 PM

I hope Mafa gets in the mix. With his injury and not enrolling early I think that will be tough. He is definitely a big back unlike anything we have had in a long while.

Jan 8, 2021, 4:41 PM

My bad, Mafah did enroll early. If he is fully ready to go I don’t see how this is not one of our best backfields in a very long time. He is a bruiser.

Jan 8, 2021, 6:12 PM

Biggest RB concern is O line. Without serious improvement we will have trouble. If Etienne can’t run behind it none of these guys can.

Jan 8, 2021, 10:29 PM

I think Dixon will be a beast once he gets the opportunity to settle in to a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic